2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Paiva's Mtp Thread, All assignments and uploads here
Pedja Simovic
Sep 18 2009, 06:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Paiva @ Sep 17 2009, 11:47 PM) *
Sorry Pedja for not being active. School starting and lots of stuff going on. I will get it on tomorrow and saturday. So for each bar or bars (if nothing changes) I have to say what arpeggio and scale could I use and effects?

No problem Tiago, I just want us to be as frequent as possible with updates on here. If you have extra school work , let me know so I don't put too much pressure on you smile.gif
Regarding the assignment, you should try to name Pentatonic scale , regular scale/mode and arpeggio(s) that would work. If you could do this, that would be awesome. I will of course add my options to it later but this is very important for you to do it. It allows me to see how you think of improvising approaches when you see Jazz changes with modulation!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Sep 18 2009, 06:48 PM
Reason for edit: typo

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Paiva
Sep 19 2009, 04:49 PM
GMC:er
Attached File  ImprovisingBlueBossa.txt ( 1.88K ) Number of downloads: 203

Here it is Pedja

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Antonio Pinto de Carvalho Classical Guitar
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:
Epiphone Studio 10s combo
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe!!!!!!!!!!

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

2nd song :) Please go check it and post something ;) (again link below)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 20 2009, 11:03 AM
Instructor
Tiago you did good. I have questions for you , so we can make sure where and how you got these solutions.

1) Why does C minor pentatonic work over F min7 chord? Where did you get that from, explain please.
2) Dmin7b5 followed by G7 comes from which key? Which chord scale should we play over it? Little correction, I would prefer if you called that chord Minor 7th flat 5 rather than half diminished (we will get to that later on why I prefer it wink.gif
3) What about minor 6th pentatonic over Dmin7b5? What about minor 7 b5 pentatonic? What are the notes for it?
4) Why and how did you pick A minor pentatonic over G7#5 harmony? Explain please.
5) Why G Phrygian over G7#5? Isn't that chord supposed to sound like tension releasing into C minor?
6) How did you figure out Ab melodic minor , G super locryian (or altered scale) over G7#5 ? (great work wink.gif
7) Why Eb Aeolian over Eb min7 when we have Ab7 after it followed by Dbmaj7 (II V I pattern) ?
8) Why Bb minor pentatonic over Ab7 chord? How did you get this one and why do you think it would work?

I expect your response regarding all these questions. After that I will extend your analysis and give you more options that you can use over this tune.

Let me know if you need any help!

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paiva
Sep 26 2009, 06:32 PM
Attached File  QuestionsAboutImprovisingBB.txt ( 1.33K ) Number of downloads: 120

Sorry for just doing 1 assigment per week. I will try to do 2 per week but it's hard with so little free time

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 27 2009, 01:33 AM
Instructor
Good responses so far Paiva. I will elaborate fully on them tomorrow as I have some corrections for you. Make sure you read my posts on theory and harmony board in the meanwhile so you can relate to what I will say tomorrow wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 28 2009, 04:27 PM
Instructor
Ok Paiva, here are my responses regarding yours smile.gif

1) C minor pentatonic works over F minor pentatonic because they both come from one key first of all. C minor belongs to F natural minor and F minor belongs to C natural minor. In other words they can be used in numerous ways to cover. Lets look at the notes of F minor 7th chord : F Ab C Eb. Now lets look at the F and C minor pentatonic

F minor pentatonic : F Ab Bb C Eb (F)
C minor pentatonic : C Eb F G Bb ©

What do you notice from the above? It should be very obvious but I will let you give me an answer to that question!

2) Dmin7b5 and G7 come from Harmonic minor. Min7b5 followed by Dom7 chord up a perfect 4th always comes from Harmonic minor key. So you would naturally use modes from C harmonic minor over these two chords, if you wanted it to sound in key. If you on the other hand wanted to be free with it, you could use D Aeolian b5 mode (F melodic minor) and G altered scale (Ab melodic minor). So you see these two modes have these chords in them but have different notes that produce outside tension sounding melodies!

3) The reason why Minor 6 and Minor 7b5 pentatonics work both is because they are connected and related, they just start from different root. D min7b5 pentatonic is = D F G Ab C (D) . F min6 pentatonic is F G Ab C D (F).
So as you see both pentatonics have exact some notes they just start on different scale degree. This is very useful to know when you are improvising as both of them bring different soloing options and sounds.

4) Whenever you have Altered Dominant chord, you can play minor pentatonic up a minor third! So lets say you got G7#5, you can do Bb minor pentatonic. Bb min pentatonic is : Bb Db Eb F Ab (Bb). If you compare these notes in relation to G as root of the chord you get Bb = #9 , Db = #11 or b5, Eb = b13 or #5 and Ab = b9! So you get a lot of tension sounds by going up a minor 3rd and doing minor pentatonic. Keep that in mind and use it !

5) As I mentioned in number 4, whenever you have Altered dominant chord it is good to do tensions and outside sounds. G Phrygian would not work well because it belongs to same key as C Aeolian. That doesn't create any tensions but rather gives us inside sound which we don't want in this case.

6) Great explanation for Super locryian or altered scale smile.gif

7) I wouldn't advise using Aeolian when you know you have V and I followed after it. That automatically clarifies that you should use some sort of II V I approach in soloing. Keep in mind that common choice for II is Dorian, for I is Ionian or Lydian but for V we got loads of cool options depending on what tension(s) we want to bring up!

8) Again same trick as we used over G altered dominant chord. Here we got Ab7 so you can go up a minor 3rd and do minor pentatonic from that root.

Hope these explanations are clear Tiago. Let me know if you have any questions and then we can continue with assignments!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paiva
Sep 30 2009, 04:30 PM
I don't have any Questions Pedja. All clear smile.gif

Oh and on question 1 both pentatonics have notes that belong to the Cminor. The 2 notes that miss C minor aeolian are on F minor pentatonic. And 2 notes that are missing for F dorian on the minor pentatonic are on the C minor pentatonic Scale.

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 30 2009, 05:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Paiva @ Sep 30 2009, 05:30 PM) *
I don't have any Questions Pedja. All clear smile.gif

Oh and on question 1 both pentatonics have notes that belong to the Cminor. The 2 notes that miss C minor aeolian are on F minor pentatonic. And 2 notes that are missing for F dorian on the minor pentatonic are on the C minor pentatonic Scale.

Awesome Tiago!

Now we can get to your 3rd assignment.

I want you to take Blue Bossa and record yourself improvising over it for at least 2 choruses through the whole tune. In that improvising I would like you to use soloing approaches we covered in your 2nd assignment wink.gif

I can help you with backing track but ideally I would like you to do backing track for Blue Bossa as well !

Let me know if you have any questions or need any help!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paiva
Sep 30 2009, 08:50 PM
Cool Pedja 2 things.

I don't think I'm going to be able to do the drums and the bass part of the backing track. I'll happily do the guitar parte of course.

And can I record just audio?

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 1 2009, 08:28 AM
Instructor
You can record just audio and guitar for time being. I would like to hear your improvising with rhythm guitar first, then we can expand it and talk about bass and drums wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:36 AM