Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jer @ Feb 26 2009, 06:36 PM) *
They arent BPMs.

They are "Kaz-Units"

smile.gif

Haha, great joke....

BTW, they're not even BPM's... it's not beats per minute's

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Feb 26 2009, 06:37 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 26 2009, 06:45 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jer @ Feb 26 2009, 06:36 PM) *
They arent BPMs.

They are "Kaz-Units"

smile.gif

Heretofore referred to as KU's. laugh.gif

QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Feb 26 2009, 06:35 PM) *
YES SIR! I'll practice it on a lower BPM using my Metronome, which I LOOOOOVEE. Starting out slow, and graduatly increasing the BPM's

GOOD ANSWER KAZMANIAN DEVIL!! Now, can you tell me how those faster runs in bars 8 & 9 are phrased for the most part? Are they 8th notes, 16th notes...? Once you tell me what the main phrasing is could you tell me how many notes per beat that equals aaaannnddd... How many KU's are you gonna set your KAZ-BOX at to start conquering that beast? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 26 2009, 06:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Feb 26 2009, 06:45 PM) *
Heretofore referred to as KU's. laugh.gif

GOOD ANSWER KAZMANIAN DEVIL!! Now, can you tell me how those faster runs in bars 8 & 9 are phrased for the most part? Are they 8th notes, 16th notes...? Once you tell me what the main phrasing is could you tell me how many notes per beat that equals aaaannnddd... How many KU's are you gonna set your KAZ-BOX at to start conquering that beast? smile.gif

Well they are 16th notes at least. After peaking I found out that they are mainly 32th notes, combined with some triplets, I gues also 32th triplets. After some counting I found out that indeed, bar 8 contains 32 32th notes (the first quarter notes is the same length as 8 32th notes)

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 26 2009, 06:56 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Feb 26 2009, 06:52 PM) *
Well they are 16th notes at least. After peaking I found out that they are mainly 32th notes, combined with some triplets, I gues also 32th triplets. After some counting I found out that indeed, bar 8 contains 32 32th notes (the first quarter notes is the same length as 8 32th notes)

Good work dude!! Now for the million dollar question... can you play those 32nd notes CLEANLY at the tempo written? If not what tempo CAN you play them at? smile.gif

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 26 2009, 10:30 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Feb 25 2009, 02:58 PM) *
Here you go tongue.gif Can u explain (or link to an explanation) about the triads? I know how to build them, but what are these? Are these just ways of playing an Amaj chord, or are we gonna use them for arpeggios? And about the shredding, I think some fast licks/runs are great!

80 BPM

Good job on the scales and triads KazMan. You are off the hook for this week's assingment smile.gif Now just get cracking on the Luke lesson. If you need help on a plan of attack on Bars 8 & 9 let me know!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 27 2009, 03:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I did some nasty work today.. six hours of cliping little plastic clips into an iron wire to keep a big bunch of trees grow straight... It earns me some money tongue.gif But now my hands are a bit painful, so I think I can get some practice on Luke's lesson, but not a lot tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 27 2009, 04:10 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Feb 27 2009, 03:52 PM) *
I did some nasty work today.. six hours of cliping little plastic clips into an iron wire to keep a big bunch of trees grow straight... It earns me some money tongue.gif But now my hands are a bit painful, so I think I can get some practice on Luke's lesson, but not a lot tongue.gif

No problem Kazman. smile.gif I am getting ready to do an assignment for next week Kaz and I need your help. Can you tell what notes are found in the Scale of A major? Thanks buddy. smile.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 27 2009, 05:21 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Feb 27 2009, 04:10 PM) *
No problem Kazman. smile.gif I am getting ready to do an assignment for next week Kaz and I need your help. Can you tell what notes are found in the Scale of A major? Thanks buddy. smile.gif

2 2 1 2 2 2 1, straight from my head tongue.gif so thats...
A B C# D E F# G# A

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 27 2009, 05:23 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Feb 27 2009, 05:21 PM) *
2 2 1 2 2 2 1, straight from my head tongue.gif so thats...
A B C# D E F# G# A

Good Job Kazmandu!! You are correct. smile.gif Check the main thread over the next couple of days as I am going to elaborate on some things and give you guys a fun assingment. Thanks dude. smile.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 27 2009, 06:59 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Feb 27 2009, 05:23 PM) *
Good Job Kazmandu!! You are correct. smile.gif Check the main thread over the next couple of days as I am going to elaborate on some things and give you guys a fun assingment. Thanks dude. smile.gif

I find it quite hard to play the Luke run with metronome only... So atm I'm practicing with GP5 on 75 %. It's very hard to time on a 50 BPM beat tongue.gif 32th notes are hard to "count".

EDIT: I tried for about 15 minutes.. I think the slide in the first run causes troubles.. i end on the same notes, but the one between the A and high E string are a it out of synd with the original...

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Feb 27 2009, 07:27 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 27 2009, 07:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Feb 27 2009, 06:59 PM) *
I find it quite hard to play the Luke run with metronome only... So atm I'm practicing with GP5 on 75 %. It's very hard to time on a 50 BPM beat tongue.gif 32th notes are hard to "count".

EDIT: I tried for about 15 minutes.. I think the slide in the first run causes troubles.. i end on the same notes, but the one between the A and high E string are a it out of synd with the original...

Try this Kaz. Take Bars 8 & 9 and make it 4 bars by doubling the note values. Now your 32nd notes just becme 16th notes. Practice the RUN ONLY WITH THE KAZ-BOX phrased as 16th notes until you can play it at 130 bpm. Then you can drop the the KU's back down to 65 and work on phrasing them as 32nd notes. Should do the trick wink.gif

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Feb 27 2009, 07:52 PM

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 27 2009, 08:00 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Feb 27 2009, 07:52 PM) *
Try this Kaz. Take Bars 8 & 9 and make it 4 bars by doubling the note values. Now your 32nd notes just becme 16th notes. Practice the RUN ONLY WITH THE KAZ-BOX phrased as 16th notes until you can play it at 130 bpm. Then you can drop the the KU's back down to 65 and work on phrasing them as 32nd notes. Should do the trick wink.gif

I have the idea I make a mistake in the run.. but I checked the tab a hundred times tongue.gif However, when I listen to muris playing it slowly, the first slide is kinda short. he doesn't let the note on the A string, 17th fret, ring. I included a little attachment of the part... that can't be rigth tongue.gif BTW, the crackling in the sound.. sorry tongue.gif my GX does that... really anoying wink.gif

UPDATE: I put the BPM very low in GP5, and when I play along, playing the notes in the slide also as 32th notes, I end two notes later then the gp5...AAAH FOUND IT! the notes in the slides are... 64th notes tongue.gif to make things easier :S

UPDATE 2: pls take a look.. I can't find a way of playing this tongue.gif the slide makes things very weird... I found that a 100 BPM speed is very doable, but because I fitted in extra notes, I had to rush!

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Feb 27 2009, 08:14 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 27 2009, 09:12 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Feb 27 2009, 08:00 PM) *
I have the idea I make a mistake in the run.. but I checked the tab a hundred times tongue.gif However, when I listen to muris playing it slowly, the first slide is kinda short. he doesn't let the note on the A string, 17th fret, ring. I included a little attachment of the part... that can't be rigth tongue.gif BTW, the crackling in the sound.. sorry tongue.gif my GX does that... really anoying wink.gif

UPDATE: I put the BPM very low in GP5, and when I play along, playing the notes in the slide also as 32th notes, I end two notes later then the gp5...AAAH FOUND IT! the notes in the slides are... 64th notes tongue.gif to make things easier :S

UPDATE 2: pls take a look.. I can't find a way of playing this tongue.gif the slide makes things very weird... I found that a 100 BPM speed is very doable, but because I fitted in extra notes, I had to rush!

Check it out Kazmeister!! This is exactly how it should be phrased. In the picture I have it tabbed out the way Muris wrote it in 32nd and 64th notes and then I rewrote it using 8th and 16th notes. The only difference between the two is the phrase I wrote happens in 4 beats and Muris's happens in 1. They sound EXACTLY alike, only different tempos. Take your Kaz-Box and play it the way I wrote it using 8th and 16th notes, you should be able to count that easily. smile.gif Once you have that phrase down then all you have to do is play that same phrase in 1 beat instead of four. Should be simple for a dude with good timing like you. laugh.gif laugh.gif Let me know if that makes sense.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 27 2009, 10:23 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
The ones with the little line above/under them are 16th rigth?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 27 2009, 11:43 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Feb 27 2009, 10:23 PM) *
The ones with the little line above/under them are 16th rigth?

Correct Kaz. You count 16th notes 1-e-and-ah-2-e-and-ah. So to count the bar the way I have written it, using your Kaz-Box of course biggrin.gif , it would sound like this:

1-and-2-and-3-e-and-4-and.

So think of all of those beats as 16th notes Kaz BUT only play on the part that I have made bold:

1-e-and-ah-2-e-and-ah-3-e-and-ah-4-e-and-ah

USE THE KAZ-BOX DUDE!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 28 2009, 12:48 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
KazMan,
I got an assignment for ya buddy. We are gonna help you learn to phrase that cool Lukather lick. Download the GP file I have attatched and check it out. I have tabbed out the lick you are having problems phrasing 3 different ways.

1) 32nd and 64th notes happening in 1 beat. This is how is should be played

2) 16th and 32nd notes happening in 2 beats.

3) 8th and 16th notes happening in 4 beats.

It looks like the picture below. Your assignment for the next week is to learn to play this exact same phrase WITH JUST YOU AND THE KAZ-BOX at the tempos written in the tab and upload an mp3 of you doing it. Let me know if you have any questions about it. Thanks buddy!! smile.gif

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Feb 28 2009, 12:50 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Kaz__s_Kaz_Box_Excercises.gp5 ( 1.85K ) Number of downloads: 88

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 28 2009, 12:29 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Kaz,
I am wanting to solo over an A mixolydian chord progression. From reading the posts I did in the main thread can you answer the following questions please?

1) Is this a Major or Minor mode?

2) What is it's scale of comparison to figure out my chord options?

3) What are my diatonic scale options for soloing over this?

4) What are my pentatonic scale options for soloing over this?

Use the chart I gave you to figure these out. Thanks KazMandu. smile.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Feb 28 2009, 04:37 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'm gonna read the chords on scales thing today/tomorw, and then I'll try to do you assignment in the week that follows. i mean the assignment in your main thread tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 28 2009, 05:13 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Feb 28 2009, 04:37 PM) *
I'm gonna read the chords on scales thing today/tomorw, and then I'll try to do you assignment in the week that follows. i mean the assignment in your main thread tongue.gif

Cool Kaz, do what you can. smile.gif

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Mar 1 2009, 01:32 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I have a little question on the Chords for Scales thing. i thing I understand it untill Andrew starts about the modes, because I still have to read that part. But i have a little question on the part before that. Andrew states that you can make several lists of chords in Cmaj (for example) I can make a list of the 'standard' triads, C Dm Em F G Am Bdim. Then Andrew adds some random 7th notes to the chords and makes a new list. Am I right when I say that C, Dm, Em, F , Am and Bdim give the roots and basic structure of all the right chords, and then if you want to have a more bluesy feel, you can add some 7th notes, or if you want a bit of an exclusive sound you add 6th. I mean, are you just free to use them?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:03 AM