> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

15 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Phill66's Beginner Book
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 2 2014, 10:45 AM
Instructor
Hey Phill smile.gif Please check the file, as you have sent me an empty backing biggrin.gif

About practicing the upstroke - you can very well take each chord shape, start a metronome click and work ONLY on a specific shape each time, for 2-3 minutes in a row, playing that shape with upstrokes against the metronome click, by following the formula involved in Ben's lesson. Once you get a hang of the movement in a static fashion (in respect to the left hand) you will be able to move around smile.gif The right hand will work on its own - at least that's the purpose here wink.gif

Have you tried this so far, by any chance?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 2 2014, 09:41 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Scuze Cosmin,

Let's try again rolleyes.gif

[attachment=40043:Ben_Stac...01122014.wav]

Noroc

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 3 2014, 04:37 PM
Instructor
Hehe! Hey Phil!

Not bad at all, good Sir! Just a little bit more polishing to make the transitions cleaner when changing the chords and the synch with the drum track could be a tad more precise, but you are almost there! Congrats! biggrin.gif Let's make this baby shine!

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 3 2014, 09:42 PM
Mulțumiri Cosmin,

Still trying to link into the second half but keep missing the beat rolleyes.gif

What do you think of the tone?

Noroc

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 4 2014, 08:57 AM
Instructor
Sounds pretty good to me, Phil - let's focus on nailing things right and if the tone can be tweaked in any way when you will have the lesson under your thumb, we'll see it then.

Take a little break from playing and count against the backing in respect to understanding where the moment in which the next chord occurs so that you can link the second half - it'll help out greatly wink.gif Have you tried that? Play the riff in your mind against the track and count, paying attention to where beat one occurs - out of what I know, the second half begins on beat one in the following bar, correct? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 5 2014, 10:24 PM
Alo Cosmin,

I answered this yesterday but it hasn't appeared rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

I managed to play the whole thing at 50% speed with GP5, I don't know why but GP5 really helps me biggrin.gif The ending was tricky but I will get there, I feel good about this one. Can't play tonight, been out for food beer and wine with my good lady so fingers aren't working that well cool.gif

Should get something to you tomorrow, if not it wil be Monday as I'm out all day from 6:30am on Sunday ohmy.gif

Noroc

Rei Cosmin

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 6 2014, 04:39 PM
Instructor
Haha! Combining a little Japanese with Romanian and English, are we? Phil San? biggrin.gif

You have progressed a lot since you are here, even if you may not notice it wink.gif But my ever watchful eyes and ears know it all smile.gif

Keep pushing mate! The GP is helping you because it's acting like a pair of helping wheels on a bike smile.gif You can hear what you have to play - but pay attention to the one nasty thing that may occur - don't end up using this crutch all the time, because it will prove itself very toxic for your sense of confidence as a player. It's ok to use it until you memorize the lines in the piece you are practicing, but that's that! Once you gottem, have the guts to throw the crutch away - deal? smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 6 2014, 09:57 PM
Alo Cosmin sama,

I was combining Japanese with Romanian, yes, but I got it wrong, one Bushido code I looked at said that "rei" was "respect" but I have since found out that it is "politeness" rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I've been seriously time restricted this week but I have been practicing mentally while I've been doing other things. I have learnt something about myself by doing that. I try to play a tune too soon. I don't get it into my head enough before I get my fingers on the fretboard, it's that old devil called impatience biggrin.gif I was trying to recall the power chord lesson in my head whilst working and I couldn't remember some of it rolleyes.gif so I guess I need to listen more before I try to play. I do learn it as I'm learning to play it but I usually try to play along with the teacher after only listening once, I need to internalise it more. Maybe not 100% but definitely more than I do now.

I agree with you 100% about the GP5 thing, I do only use it to learn the sequence at slow speeds until I have the sequence in my head then I speed it up and when I get to full speed I play along with the teacher without looking at the fretboard too much.

I haven't progressed enough to make a recording for today and I'm out from 6:30am tomorrow, I don't know what time I'll get back but life has to to be lived whilst we are able to live it, so I'm going to Matlock victorian Christmas market, then off for a three course turkey lunch, then a steam train ride through the peak district with mulled wine and mince pies then return journey home. Should be a good day smile.gif

I'll get back on it as soon as time allows, hopefully tomorrow smile.gif .

Noroc

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 6 2014, 10:06 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 7 2014, 10:05 AM
Instructor
Hey Phil!!

You stated a VERY important thing which is 120% true smile.gif Internalizing ANY musical piece should be done prior to playing it. Usually, we have to learn anything we first have to lsiten to it extensively and observe all the details. When you can sing it loud or in your head revising all the parts and knowing exactly what's next, you will have a much easier time learning how to connect the hands and the fretboard to the sounds you are hearing in your head smile.gif

Enjoy your day, mate! Let me know when you have something for me and about Rei - it means respect as well - it's one of the 7 virtues of the samurai warriors as they are written in the Bushido code and it resides as a tattoo on the back of my left shoulder smile.gif

Patience is very important as I mentioned a lot of times so far, so please take the time to listen and internalize, prior to trying to reproduce. Deal? wink.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 7 2014, 10:19 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 7 2014, 10:05 AM) *
Hey Phil!!

You stated a VERY important thing which is 120% true smile.gif Internalizing ANY musical piece should be done prior to playing it. Usually, we have to learn anything we first have to lsiten to it extensively and observe all the details. When you can sing it loud or in your head revising all the parts and knowing exactly what's next, you will have a much easier time learning how to connect the hands and the fretboard to the sounds you are hearing in your head smile.gif

Enjoy your day, mate! Let me know when you have something for me and about Rei - it means respect as well - it's one of the 7 virtues of the samurai warriors as they are written in the Bushido code and it resides as a tattoo on the back of my left shoulder smile.gif

Patience is very important as I mentioned a lot of times so far, so please take the time to listen and internalize, prior to trying to reproduce. Deal? wink.gif

Alo Cosmin sama,

Ok, I've basically got the whole sequence down now. I am struggling with muting the upstrokes on the E5 with my right hand, I'm ok on the other power chords as I can release the pressure on all strings in the chord. This is because I managed to do the muting with my right hand when doing the down strokes but the muting with the right hand is awkward for me on the upstrokes.rolleyes.gif I am now training my left hand little and ring finger to come onto the strings to mute them but what happens then is I start to play downstrokes biggrin.gif It's just a matter of slowing it all down and focusing on one hand at a time, I know that but my subconscious impatience is a very powerful monster wink.gif

I'll keep on plugging away at it, hopefully I will get a little more time this week. It's a struggle as we close at work for the Christmas period and all of the customers want there stuff before Christmas, they won't do anything with it it's just an odd mindset over here. There are so many adverts on the TV that say "Order now and get it before Christmas" even for stuff that wouldn't matter. It's mental conditioning of the worst level and puts everyone in the "I want it before Christmas" mindset mad.gif But we do try our best to keep them happy smile.gif

Stare bună de sănătate pentru tine,

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 7 2014, 10:21 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 8 2014, 12:05 PM
Instructor
Hey Phil smile.gif

I am also dealing with an extremely hectic schedule here, but I am plugging my way through everything slowly biggrin.gif

Anyway, I think I understood where the little problem resides, technique wise and if you understood it too, it's only a matter of slow practice, seasoned with a little patience wink.gif Don't rush - as I told you, the last recording sounds confident and well played. It's only a matter of polishing now, but I would be pretty curious to see a recording with the full take at the current state - if it would be a video, it would be even greater, as I can tell you a lot more about what's going on - if it's the case wink.gif

About the holidays rush - I feel like I want to run away in the woods, man :| Folks are going crazy with everything in this period..

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 8 2014, 10:25 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 8 2014, 12:05 PM) *
About the holidays rush - I feel like I want to run away in the woods, man :| Folks are going crazy with everything in this period..

Alo Cosmin sama,

Yeah, there's something about Christmas time. I know that the people that are chasing their components for delivery before Christmas just will not be building their engine during the Christmas break but they still want them rolleyes.gif

Not having much success hooking the second half together tonight, I think it's because I am uber tired, eyes practically closing while I play, then when I get into bed I will be wide awake rolleyes.gif

I'll try to shoot a video to you tomorrow, even with sequence mistakes you will be able to see where my muting problem lies.

I have to tell where some of my impatience comes from. I had a friend a few years ago, not seen him for quite a while now. He was an awesome guitarist, and I mean awesome, he had an awesome ear too. He came to my house once and we were talking about guitarists, he was old school, Black Sabbath, Thin Lizzy, Montrose, Boston etc I asked him if he know Joe Satriani and Steve Vai, he said he had heard of them but not heard any of their music. We went into my music room and I put "For The Love Of God" on the hi-fi, listened for a minute or so and said "Pass me your guitar", he restarted the track and listened to the first bar, then, while the second bar was playing he was playing the first bar, while the third bar was playing he was playing the second bar etc etc etc, he did this for about the first minute to the point where Vai dips the whammy slightly on a note, (He was a Les Paul player) and he said, "I'd need to practice from here, it starts getting tricky", but that blew me away, Then I put Surfin With The Alien on, he had a listen, played the intro and said "I have to go now but can I borrow the disc please?" He called me the next evening and I asked him jokingly if he had learnt Surfin yet, he played the whole track through on his Les Paul, in the whammy bar bits he just played the notes as best he could but that astounded me, he was so humble about it all too cool.gif . I think seeing him do all of this made want to be able to do it as easy as he appeared to do it, impatience is also part of my genetic make up so his demonstration seemed to emphasize my impatience if you know what I mean. I hope you understand this little insight into my psyche rolleyes.gif

As an off topic thing, look at the name of the steam train we went on yesterday biggrin.gif

Noroc

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 9 2014, 10:24 PM
Alo Cosmin sama,

Sorry, it's just not happening mate. Not sure if I'm coming down with something, I feel extremely tired physically and mentally. I just can't hook this staccato thing together at all at the moment.

You may not hear from me for a couple of days but rest assured I will be back ASAP, hopefully it's just some 24 hour thing, there's no point me plugging away on the geetar because I'm just getting frustrated at my lack of concentration.

Sănătate și armonie to you my friend.

Noroc

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 9 2014, 10:29 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 11 2014, 10:40 AM
Instructor
Hey Phil!

As we discussed, life has to be tended to as well, so take your time, finish your work and leave the mind empty for practicing smile.gif I'll be here and we can resume when you are ready wink.gif All the best ... si sa ai spor!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 11 2014, 09:41 PM
Mulțumiri Cosmin,

I am back biggrin.gif Got a bit of a cold but that's nothing. The aches and fatigue have virtually gone. I'll get practicing again.

What did you think about my friend's talent? That's part of why I'm impatient with the guitar, I think "why can't I do what he did?". I have to let that go rolleyes.gif

Noroc

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 12 2014, 04:51 PM
Instructor
Hey Phil smile.gif Welcome back - well, I am happy to inform you that your impatience, in respect to the story, has no foundation. Your friend has three things you are currently building from scratch:

- a great ear
- experience
- A LOT of practicing and playing behind him

So, you have nothing to be impatient about - imagine that this guy was once where you are now. It's not like someone snapped their fingers and he suddenly knew how to play the guitar smile.gif

Having this in mind, please do carry on biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 12 2014, 10:13 PM
Alo Cosmin,

I agree with what you say but he must also have a lot of natural talent, what is so tragic is that he worked in the gas board offices and hadn't gigged in over twenty years sad.gif . I play darts and have done since I was about 10, I hit my first and only 180 a couple of years ago, best thing about it, I got in from work, wife said dinner was a little late so I went into my man cave, pick up the darts, casually threw them and the first three went into the treble 20. Wayne Mardle, a top pro, started when he was a lad and hit his first 180 after two weeks rolleyes.gif Natural talent is a big big bonus eh?

Out of interest, how far do you think the average person can go playing guitar given limited practice time. What song would they be able to achieve? I once managed to learn and play (though I don't know what would happen in the REC zone biggrin.gif ) Rock The Nation by Montrose including the basic solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loaxDYWPZ54

I've just been using Ben's lesson about dealing with distortion as I'm still struggling to control the noise on the upstroke section of the staccato power chord lesson so please bear with me. I'll post something when I'm half happy with it.

Noroc

Pace și liniște

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 13 2014, 09:48 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 13 2014, 08:51 AM
Instructor
Phil, have I told you the story of the fencing master and the apprentice? smile.gif

One day, an apprentice came to the fencing master and asked him - If I practice daily, how long will it take me to become REALLY good? The master said: 10 years. The apprentice asked again - what if I practice, 8 hours a day - the master said - 20 years. The apprentice was becoming desperate - what if I practice all day long?? The master said - a lifetime!

The conclusion is that the more you will practice, the more you will want - there's no stopping and no end game here and the better you become the better you will want to be. Please, stop placing all these futile hurdles in your path and enjoy the journey smile.gif We are all VERY different and what feels easy for someone might seem very difficult for someone else. Who am I to tell how long it takes for one to become proficient? It's all up to that person smile.gif I'd be curious to hear the solo in your rendition - from the tune you shared, I mean biggrin.gif What do you say?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Dec 13 2014, 09:43 AM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Dec 13 2014, 08:51 AM) *
Phil, have I told you the story of the fencing master and the apprentice? smile.gif

One day, an apprentice came to the fencing master and asked him - If I practice daily, how long will it take me to become REALLY good? The master said: 10 years. The apprentice asked again - what if I practice, 8 hours a day - the master said - 20 years. The apprentice was becoming desperate - what if I practice all day long?? The master said - a lifetime!

The conclusion is that the more you will practice, the more you will want - there's no stopping and no end game here and the better you become the better you will want to be. Please, stop placing all these futile hurdles in your path and enjoy the journey smile.gif We are all VERY different and what feels easy for someone might seem very difficult for someone else. Who am I to tell how long it takes for one to become proficient? It's all up to that person smile.gif I'd be curious to hear the solo in your rendition - from the tune you shared, I mean biggrin.gif What do you say?

Alo Cosmin,

Sorry for being a pain with my hurdles rolleyes.gif That story makes sense.

I don't think I can remember the solo but I'll try to find the tab out. My teacher at the time tabbed the whole song out for me.

Noroc Cosmin sama

There is no destination, only an eternal journey!

Phil

This post has been edited by Phil66: Dec 13 2014, 09:59 AM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 14 2014, 01:37 PM
Instructor
Good to know that I have managed to cool you down - hopefully enough to manage to focus on playing rather then wanting to jump a flick flack over a 10 story building without the proper training beforehand biggrin.gif - let's see a recording and we'll take it from there smile.gif Deal?

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:47 PM