Soloing With Arpeggios/chord Tones, Final mix with comments
Pedja Simovic
Apr 2 2009, 01:53 AM
Instructor
Hello everybody !

Today we have final mix with comments for soloing with arpeggios and chord tones class type collaboration. Before getting to your comments I would like to say couple of things first...

Some of you guys did perfect job and played needed notes everywhere; some of you did combination of chord tones and tensions and some didn't submit takes at all smile.gif
Overall I am happy to say that there is real improvement in some of your takes and I believe you can hear that to. I got many messages how this collaboration helped you develop new vocabulary, restrict yourself to solo only with arpeggios etc. In a way this was great discipline exercise if nothing more. I am proud of what you guys did (most of you at least smile.gif with your takes and I look forward having you in the next in class type collaboration !

Enjoy tha final mix and comments !

Pedja

Number of participants : 23

First up is berko (0:00 - 0:33)

Let me say in the beginning that you passed the class !
In your take there were only two things I would like to talk to you about. One was rhythm (which is not graded in this collaboration but you had very weak phrasing overall here) and second one was E min7 A min7 D min7 G7 section.
If your phrasing was more on the beat, or you had chosen simpler rhythms, you would probably get 100% on this. Since the rhythm was weak the whole solo sounded like it was out of place. This is especially true for 4 bar section I mentioned above. You were anticipating chords very much in that section which means playing chord tones of next chord before that chord actually happens.

All in all I am happy with your approach, you did everything I asked just hope next time your rhythm and phrasing will be stronger ! (more question and answer type rhythms helps a lot).

Hope to see you in next collaboration Berko !

big harry (0:34 - 1:05)

Harry you absolutely 100% passed this class. I am really happy with your take. It was melodic, catchy and it followed all the rules of the class. You picked really good question and answer rhythms, and your melodies were just coming trough great. I think you are learning a lot in collabs and lessons overall. This was very good take.
Do you want to hear mistake I found ? I bet you do smile.gif
You know C maj7 A min7 D min7 G7 ?
Well when you had D min7 and G7 you also anticipated G7 chord , just instead of doing it like Berko a beat earlier, you did it by an 8th note. So you played B note on the end of beat 4 of D min7 chord - just before G7 chord comes in. Thats anticipating chords, I didn't ask for it and am just telling you this for future reference - don't do it unless specified wink.gif
Everything else Harry was great. Awesome take really well done and hope to see you in my next collab.

Canis (1:06 - 1:37)

Canis you passed this class without any problems !
Lets mention good things and things you need to work on man. Good things - you had lots of repetition and sequences which kept the solo together; your rhythm choice and phrasing was somewhat strong.
Bad things - you are playing too much staccato (short notes). You tend to lift your playing hand too quick from strings, thats why your whole solo sounded like you couldn't technically quite pull it off !
This is just a side note and I recommend you work on it as your solos will sound even stronger.
Overall very nice melodic choice and structure and everything was spot on.
Well done Canis.

coffeeman (1:38 - 2:09)

Andru you passed this class with 100%. Really well done job !
You displayed strong knowledge of arpeggios and your rhythm and phrasing was spot on.
There were only couple of spots where you did slide ins that made solo sound weak. The way you did it made ending of the melodies unfinished in a way especially over G7 chord. So thats the only thing I would work on.
I would like to thank you for sending me your take last moment, this was good take and I am very happy with it.
Hope to see you in next class type collaboration !

Dexxter (2:10 - 2:41)

Dexxter you passed this class as well smile.gif
Your solo was nice combination of arpeggios and chord tones, I liked that. There isnt really much to say here except to work on your sound (as a side note). It sounds like you have lots of highs there, perhaps you can add some lows to EQ's and even it out ? Also your guitar sounded a bit flat to the backing track so check tuning next time before your record.
Overall you did everything I asked and I am happy with this take.
Great job Dexxter, hope to see you in next one !
Thank you for your take Dexxter !

Emir Hot (2:42 - 3:13)

Emir you passed and do I really need to say more here?
You had lots of arpeggio runs as well as chord tone soloing. I especially enjoyed arpeggios sequences, that was very refreshing.
I have nothing to ad to your take man.
Hope to see you in next collaboration !

enforcer (3:14 - 3:45)

Can you also passed this class !

There were some strong ideas in your solo. I like how you combined chord tones and arpeggios, very nice balance. You did everything I asked for but there were also some extra things.
I give you homework to listen to your take and transcribe it in guitar pro ! This homework goes for everybody I think did non chord tones so you are not alone. Also this will help you learn about your phrasing and rhythm wink.gif
On the side note, that ending run was great but you didn't pull out one note and it made it sound weaker !
Hope to see you in next collaboration Can !

GrannyKiller (3:46 - 4:17)

Dado you passed this class 100 % ! I am very happy with your take. Everything was there ! Repetition, sequence + nice balance of chord tones and arpeggios.
The only flaw in whole take is actual ending when you did double stops. That didn't sound as effective as it should have, but thats all now getting into more detailed things.
For purpose of collaboration you did great and I hope to see you in next one as well !
Great to know you can use guitar pro as well - I don't mind you tabbing all your future solos for collaborations wink.gif

JamesT (4:18 - 4:49)

Jim you did well and passed this class.
Your take was very melodic and had nice combination of arpeggios and chord tones. There was quite a lot of runs but thats fine since you choose distorted sound smile.gif
I have assignment for you !
Listen to your take, transcribe it in Guitar pro and send me guitar pro file. I want all the rhythm values correct along with notes. When you finish that we will get into further discussion regarding some more things.

This was good Jim , I hope to have you in next one as well !

jdriver (4:50 - 5:21)

Jeff you passed this class with 100%. Excellent job with your solo. You demonstrated things I asked and on top of that made music with your take. If I had this track on album and had to pick a solo, I would put yours on it most likely.
Repetition, development, motive playing and in second section harmonic type playing (open string usage even).
Just awesome Jeff !
Hope to see you in next collaboration Jeff smile.gif

kaznie_NL (5:22 - 5:53)

Kaz you passed this class, good job man. You had some nice melodies and development going on trough whole solo. For most part you did what I asked for but there were parts where you did non chord tones. Because of that I have assignment for you smile.gif
I want you to write me your whole solo in Guitar Pro and send me the file. I want to hear exact rhythms as in your solo, or as close as exact. That will clear out some things for further discussions.
On the side note your sweep picking seems to be one of the weaker technique. Post a video somewhere on forum so I can perhaps help you out to make it smoother.
Thanks Kaz, you did good, I hope to see you in next one as well !

lcsdds (5:54 - 6:25)

Monte you passed this class with 100%.
Very well approached solo. It wasn't too technical (at least the first part wasn't smile.gif, but you rather had great development from slower to faster rhythms. Your phrasing was very strong and you did everything I asked regarding usage of chord tones and arpeggios. There were no tensions in your solo so great job.
Extra credit assignment - transcribe your solo in Guitar Pro and send it to me !

Well done Monte and I hope to see you again in my next collab !

Marc_Maiden (6:26 - 6:57)

Marc you passed this class without any problems !
You showed some nice arpeggio runs in your solo and melodic approach was also there. If I had to pick one spot to work on it would be your phrasing. In some sections you were playing unclear rhythm which made notes sound cut off in a way. I don't know if this was improvised take or composed but either way try to work that into your practice routine.
I have extra assignment for you that may or may not do smile.gif
Transcribe your solo in Guitar pro file and send it to me ! It should teach you a lot about your phrasing wink.gif
Thank you for your take Marc and hope to see you in my next collab !

Marek Rojewski (6:58 - 7:29)

Marek you passed this class with 100% congratulations smile.gif
You did everything I asked for and besides that there were some unexpected things happening there. I like open string, harmonic soloing approach. Only you and Jeff have done that effectively ! There was also nice balance of chord tones and arpeggios.
Your strongest section that sounds refreshing is last 4 bars of the solo in my opinion, especially chord tones that you play over C maj7 and A min7.
I can only recommend as extra assignment to tab this this in Guitar Pro and send it to me - but you already did that so you are all set smile.gif
Well done once again and I hope to see you in my next collab !
Thanks Marek !

Outlaw2112 (7:30 - 8:01)

John you passed this class without any problems smile.gif Well done really, your determination and hard work really payed off. I am sure you have learned a lot by going back and recording new takes, fixing non chord tones and anticipations we discussed. You really did well and it makes me really happy to see determined and hard working individuals such as yourself.
I can just recommend extra assignment for you that would include you tabbing your solo in Guitar Pro and sending it to me!
Let me know if you need any help with it.
Solo was very good overall John ! Nice combination of both chord tones and arpeggios.
Hope to see you in my next collab smile.gif

Paiva (8:02 - 8:33)

Paiva you passed this class, good job man.
I have couple of things to suggest you for future collaborations. First thing, always tune your guitar with actual backing track so it doesn't sounds sharp or flat with it. Second thing you need to work on the phrasing and rhythm more. Your whole solo has ups and downs because of phrasing. If you get it to sound stronger quality of your solo will boost and come to center of attention.
I am happy with what you did in your take regarding chord tones and arpeggios.
Only thing I can suggest is transcribing it in Guitar Pro and sending me the file so we can talk more and fix your phrasing troubles smile.gif
Thank you for your take Paiva and I hope to see you in my next collab !

Sami (8:34 - 9:05)

Sami well done you have passed this class successfully !
This final take is much different from original first take you sent me and it sounds like you have improved here.
I like how you are slowly building your solo and using both arpeggios and chord tones. There is also motive development and repetition in the solo, good job man !
Two things that I can suggest that should help you in future. One, work on your sweep picking ascending and descending equally. Only that way your rhythm and phrasing won't suffer. Second thing was that minor mistake at the very end of the solo where you anticipated C maj7 chord with C note before it actually arrived.
My advice, transcribe your solo in Guitar Pro and send it to me !
Great work overall Sami, hope to you see you in my next collab !

Sergio Dorado (9:06 - 9:37)

Sergio you have definitely passed this class smile.gif
Your take has lots of different ideas for both arpeggios and chord tones, I like it. I also like the fact that you focused on melody more then technique here. Really well done man.
I hope to see you in my future collaborations.
Thanks Sergio !

sted (9:38 - 10:09)

Sted you have done well and passed this class. This solo is very melodic, has a very natural build up and on top of that you used everything I asked for !
Really good job !
I have one advice and thats regarding your phrasing. In some sections solo sounds weaker because it sounds like rhythm is slipping you away , ahead behind beat etc. If you made your rhythm tighter solos would get even more attention over harmony and backing tracks. I suggest you transcribe your solo in Guitar Pro and send it to me (there is something in there worth checking out) !
Thank you for signing up and submitting your take sted - hope to see you in my next collaboration as well !

Tolek (10:10 - 10:41)

Tolek you passed this class smile.gif If I had to give you a grade it would be a B- or C probably. Your solo had a lot of non chord tones which were not allowed(when I say a lot a mean more than one or two notes!). I know you could have done simpler solo and stick to actual chord tones but you choose to do differently.
I am only making hard comments for you because you are mentor and need to set example to all your students here at GMC. Thats why I am letting you pass this collaboration, but I am giving you assignment to submit me your solo in Guitar Pro file.
Best thing you can do is record a new proper take without non chord tones and anticipations and upload it at this thread any time.
I know you are very talented determined and hard working but I promised you I will give critique when you deserve it - now is that time wink.gif
Thank you for your take Tolek and I look forward getting extra assignment from you smile.gif

Velvet Roger (10:42 - 11:13)

Roger you successfully passed this class !
Your solo was very interesting as it had similar rhythm and phrasing through the whole solo. Thats what kept it glued together and connected. Your ideas were great, very melodic and interesting shapes and you had nice balance of chord tones and tensions.
I have nothing to add to this take except suggest that you tab it out in Guitar Pro if you have some free time, so we can analyze it and talk about more in depth things.
Well done Roger, thank you for your take and hope to see you in next collab smile.gif

wrk (11:13 - 11:44)

Andy you passed this class with 100%. Very well done solo !
Your timing was laid back, melodic approach was there in whole solo and just overall solo sounded very musical.
I like how you approached this in terms of slower and faster rhythms, that really made everything sound more interesting.
Extra assignment would definitely be to tab out this solo in Guitar Pro as it doesn't have typical downbeat rhythm in it.
If you want to discuss more your solo feel free to ask me here or via PM.
Thank you for your take Andy, hope to see you in next collab smile.gif

Pedja Simovic (11:45 - 12:22)

I submitted lesson on this exact same solo and I hope you guys will have chance to see it soon live on main page. Until then feel free to comment on each takes and help each other out as much as you can.

I would like to thank everybody who submitted their takes. I am glad I extended the deadline in the end as there were some great takes coming in last minute.
Don't forget to ask any questions if anything is not clear to you, I am here to help remember that always smile.gif

Hope to see you all in my next collaboration which should be up by the end of the week I hope !

Thank you all for participating it was pleasure teaching you this extremely useful concept in class type collaboration !

Pedja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: Apr 2 2009, 11:28 AM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Arpeggio_chord_tone_final_mix.mp3 ( 11.32MB ) Number of downloads: 495

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Pedja Simovic   Soloing With Arpeggios/chord Tones   Apr 2 2009, 01:53 AM
- - Outlaw2112   Thanks for the awesome collab and taking the time ...   Apr 2 2009, 02:45 AM
- - lcsdds   Pedja's the MAN!!! Although.........   Apr 2 2009, 02:55 AM
- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Apr 2 2009, 03:45 AM)...   Apr 2 2009, 03:07 AM
- - coffeeman   it sounds awesome Pedja, thanks for taking the tim...   Apr 2 2009, 03:09 AM
- - Farmer Joe   Almost done listening now, it sounds great I ha...   Apr 2 2009, 03:25 AM
- - Marek Rojewski   Great takes everybody! Everyone did better tha...   Apr 2 2009, 06:39 AM
- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (coffeeman @ Apr 2 2009, 04:09 AM) ...   Apr 2 2009, 07:07 AM
- - Canis   Thanks a lot for the comments, Pedja ^^ You da man...   Apr 2 2009, 08:38 AM
|- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (Canis @ Apr 2 2009, 09:38 AM) Than...   Apr 2 2009, 08:43 AM
nnn
- - Emir Hot   Cheers Pedja. I was worried that you would say I o...   Apr 2 2009, 08:53 AM
|- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Apr 2 2009, 09:53 AM) C...   Apr 2 2009, 08:59 AM
nnn
- - berko   Thanks again man for the hard work of mixing and p...   Apr 2 2009, 09:03 AM
|- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (berko @ Apr 2 2009, 10:03 AM) Than...   Apr 2 2009, 09:12 AM
nnn
- - berko   QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Apr 2 2009, 09:12 ...   Apr 2 2009, 09:17 AM
|- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (berko @ Apr 2 2009, 10:17 AM) Oh s...   Apr 2 2009, 09:21 AM
nnn
- - enforcer   Thanks Pedja! I had really only 15 minutes to ...   Apr 2 2009, 11:08 AM
- - sted   Just wanted to say a big thanks to Pedja for his c...   Apr 2 2009, 11:12 AM
- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (enforcer @ Apr 2 2009, 12:08 PM) T...   Apr 2 2009, 11:32 AM
- - Sergio Dorado   Great work Pedja¡ Thanks for the comments   Apr 2 2009, 11:57 AM
|- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (Sergio Dorado @ Apr 2 2009, 12:57 ...   Apr 2 2009, 11:59 AM
|- - Sergio Dorado   QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Apr 2 2009, 12:59 ...   Apr 2 2009, 12:39 PM
|- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (Sergio Dorado @ Apr 2 2009, 01:39 ...   Apr 2 2009, 12:49 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - Emir Hot   Lucky you Pedja you can sleep now I am still doin...   Apr 2 2009, 12:02 PM
- - wrk   Thank you Pedja! .. i learned again a really h...   Apr 2 2009, 12:03 PM
- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Apr 2 2009, 01:02 PM) L...   Apr 2 2009, 12:10 PM
|- - Emir Hot   QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Apr 2 2009, 12:10 ...   Apr 2 2009, 12:17 PM
|- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Apr 2 2009, 01:17 PM) H...   Apr 2 2009, 12:19 PM
nnn
nnn
- - Marek Rojewski   Thank You for your comment Pedja! It was my fi...   Apr 2 2009, 01:20 PM
- - Crazyfret   Great collab Pedja and great playing from the entr...   Apr 2 2009, 03:28 PM
- - lcsdds   Thanks for the comments and collab Pedja. I'm...   Apr 2 2009, 03:45 PM
- - kaznie_NL   Non Chord tones?? I'm sure I used the charts ...   Apr 2 2009, 03:57 PM
- - jdriver   I am surprised and happy to get such a good review...   Apr 2 2009, 07:03 PM
- - Tolek   QUOTE Tolek (10:10 - 10:41) Tolek you passed thi...   Apr 2 2009, 07:16 PM
- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Apr 2 2009, 02:20...   Apr 2 2009, 09:27 PM
|- - Tolek   QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Apr 2 2009, 10:27 ...   Apr 3 2009, 11:19 AM
nnn
- - Marc_Maiden   thanks pedja! i always have fun learning fro...   Apr 2 2009, 10:14 PM
|- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Apr 2 2009, 11:14 PM...   Apr 2 2009, 11:09 PM
nnn
- - Velvet Roger   Thanks Pedja for your comments I actually have t...   Apr 3 2009, 02:30 AM
- - lcsdds   Pedja....why do you want me to tab my take out in ...   Apr 3 2009, 03:06 AM
- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Apr 3 2009, 03:30 A...   Apr 3 2009, 03:55 AM
|- - lcsdds   QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Apr 3 2009, 03:55 ...   Apr 3 2009, 04:22 AM
|- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (lcsdds @ Apr 3 2009, 05:22 AM) Goo...   Apr 3 2009, 04:35 AM
nnn
nnn
- - big harry   Padja THX alot for your comments i was really worr...   Apr 3 2009, 07:08 AM
- - Caelumamittendum   I was actually pretty sure I had posted my take as...   Apr 3 2009, 12:07 PM
- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (big harry @ Apr 3 2009, 08:08 AM) ...   Apr 3 2009, 12:36 PM
|- - Tolek   QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Apr 3 2009, 01:36 ...   Apr 3 2009, 02:24 PM
|- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (Tolek @ Apr 3 2009, 03:24 PM) Sure...   Apr 3 2009, 02:25 PM
|- - Tolek   QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Apr 3 2009, 03:25 ...   Apr 3 2009, 02:26 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - Dexxter   Thanks for this collab and comments Pedja About ...   Apr 3 2009, 03:32 PM
- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (Tolek @ Apr 3 2009, 03:26 PM) Good...   Apr 4 2009, 09:07 AM
- - Outlaw2112   I have no idea on how to make a gp file on my solo...   Apr 4 2009, 07:57 PM
- - Pedja Simovic   QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Apr 4 2009, 08:57 PM)...   Apr 5 2009, 01:51 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:13 AM