2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Ivan's Instructor Week Collaboration!, UPLOAD THREAD
Ivan Milenkovic
May 2 2009, 08:46 PM
Instructor
That's a very interesting fusion of two different styles man, great job! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JamesT
May 4 2009, 07:01 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Hello Ivan,
If it's not too late, I'd like to participate in this collab. smile.gif

Below is my take.
With this, I sort of set out to achieve a Jimmy Page like quality. Zep did a lot of blues based rock tunes, as I'm sure you all know. In this take, there is one lick kind of like Jimmy does when he cuts loose during a mellow song. If you remember "Since I've been Loving You" , or even in the live version of "No Quarter".

The first few notes might be remotely like Stevie Ray Vaughn with vibrato that you can hear scratching on the frets as it rings. (you can hear this better in the guitar-only track). Nothing else in this tune is SRV though.

The rest is just simple melody. Maybe Santana would put something like this into a solo.

Anyway, I hope you like it.
Tell me if you can point out the riff that sounds like Page? mellow.gif

Attached File  20090503_Bm_Blues.mp3 ( 734.13K ) Number of downloads: 138

Attached File  20090503_Bm_Blues_nobt.mp3 ( 734.13K ) Number of downloads: 123

Ivan, I have a question: If you had to name just one artist or one album that inspired you to play the blues, what would it be? I want to start getting new influences into my playing and I think that one of the best ways to do it would be to listen to other great players. Thanks,
Jim.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JamesT: May 4 2009, 04:50 PM

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
sted
May 5 2009, 08:13 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (JamesT @ May 4 2009, 07:01 AM) *
Ivan, I have a question: If you had to name just one artist or one album that inspired you to play the blues, what would it be? I want to start getting new influences into my playing and I think that one of the best ways to do it would be to listen to other great players. Thanks,
Jim.

Mmmmmm....

nice question mate, I like it!! Intrigued to hear Ivans answer, my betting would be Albert King!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 5 2009, 11:08 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JamesT @ May 4 2009, 08:01 AM) *
Hello Ivan,
If it's not too late, I'd like to participate in this collab. smile.gif

Below is my take.
With this, I sort of set out to achieve a Jimmy Page like quality. Zep did a lot of blues based rock tunes, as I'm sure you all know. In this take, there is one lick kind of like Jimmy does when he cuts loose during a mellow song. If you remember "Since I've been Loving You" , or even in the live version of "No Quarter".

The first few notes might be remotely like Stevie Ray Vaughn with vibrato that you can hear scratching on the frets as it rings. (you can hear this better in the guitar-only track). Nothing else in this tune is SRV though.

The rest is just simple melody. Maybe Santana would put something like this into a solo.

Anyway, I hope you like it.
Tell me if you can point out the riff that sounds like Page? mellow.gif

Attached File  20090503_Bm_Blues.mp3 ( 734.13K ) Number of downloads: 138

Attached File  20090503_Bm_Blues_nobt.mp3 ( 734.13K ) Number of downloads: 123

Jim.

Great stuff man! Really cool control with the tone, and awesome vibrato as well! You really nailed the sound nicely. The melodic development in the first section is very good, and the fast legato part was something that reminded me on Page the most! smile.gif Great analysis and execution indeed, these are just first impression will put some more comments on this one! smile.gif

Answer: I'm afraid I cannot name just one artist mate, cause I really feel that I had lots of influences, and I don't think there is an album that I've listened first and I said:"This inspires me to play blues". Possibly this worked for some people, but it didn't worked out that way for me I guess. All I can say is that several great artists like BB King, SRV, Santana, Clapton are among the first people that I've had contact with that played blues or had blues influences, so this is how I started and then discovered other artists along the way. Every one of them made a strong impression on me, but my love for the blues was just something very natural to me, I was never thinking that I liked to play that music, it was something that just felt right from the beginning and stayed like that you know..

--------------------

+Quote Post
JamesT
May 6 2009, 01:31 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Thanks Ivan. I was thinking that the fast part was very Page-like too. smile.gif I've got to say, he was a big influence and inspiration to me, especially in the beginning.

Man, BB King performed here in Reno last year. My wife and I had planned to go see him. I had to travel on business that week so, we didn't get a chance to go. If he plays here again, I'm going to go even if I have to quit my job! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif . So if I were to go out and buy a BB King album, what are the essential BB King tunes or albums?

This post has been edited by JamesT: May 6 2009, 01:37 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 6 2009, 05:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JamesT @ May 6 2009, 02:31 AM) *
Thanks Ivan. I was thinking that the fast part was very Page-like too. smile.gif I've got to say, he was a big influence and inspiration to me, especially in the beginning.

Man, BB King performed here in Reno last year. My wife and I had planned to go see him. I had to travel on business that week so, we didn't get a chance to go. If he plays here again, I'm going to go even if I have to quit my job! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif . So if I were to go out and buy a BB King album, what are the essential BB King tunes or albums?

Glad you like Page man, he is sure one awesome guitar legend! smile.gif

BB King had lots of hits, I think good album to start with it "King of the Blues". It's a box of 4CDs and contains BB Kings greatest songs, it is truly a must have in every bluesman collection. Other albums are great as well, and I think some sort of a compilation is a good way to start if you wanna check him out. Later on you can see if you like it, then you can get earlier albums etc.
Another great album is a relatively recent one "Riding with the King" that he did with Eric Clapton, really a nice blues treat with lots of cool songs, some of then are acoustic. They did some new stuff there, and of course some blues standards. Needless to say that Clapton's and BB Kings guitar work on this one is really awesome and inspiring. cool.gif

Let me know if you need any more recommendations mate! And stay tuned for the comments wink.gif

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JamesT
May 8 2009, 06:57 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Ok.
I've ordered both "Riding with the King" and "King of the Blues". cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
May 8 2009, 07:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
Hey Ivan! I wonder when the comments and final mix are going to be published. huh.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 9 2009, 04:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JamesT @ May 8 2009, 07:57 PM) *
Ok.
I've ordered both "Riding with the King" and "King of the Blues". cool.gif

Great! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tolek @ May 8 2009, 08:00 PM) *
Hey Ivan! I wonder when the comments and final mix are going to be published. huh.gif

I wanted to see if some more members will upload their takes, but as now we are over the deadline, I'll put comments in a day or so mate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tolek
May 9 2009, 05:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 9 2009, 05:37 PM) *
I wanted to see if some more members will upload their takes, but as now we are over the deadline, I'll put comments in a day or so mate.

Ok, great, thanks! smile.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:44 AM