Advice On Rhythm Guitar Playing
Victor Simion
Feb 26 2020, 08:31 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi all,

I feel like I have neglected my Rhythm skills and I need some advice on improving on rhythm skills.

I mostly played lead guitar, so I left the rhythm part behind.

I need some advice on how to get better, what to practice.
I was looking at some lessons on here but it seems that Level 2 and 3 on rhythm rock or metal, will cause me some problems.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 26 2020, 08:55 PM
GMC Founder
I was in your situation years ago when I was practicing technique/soloing all day long. In a way - I feel like I still am clueless about rhythm guitar.

But there is one thing I learned: there is no point in practicing rhythm guitar for the sake of 'practicing rhythm guitar'. You absolutely need a good reason. A good reason could be:

* you play in a band that requires you to play rhythm guitar

* you are working on your own tracks, or backings

* there is a riff you love so much you just have to learn it

For some reason, I though that the only way for me to tackle rhythm guitar, was to learn to play "Summer of 69" by Bryan Adams . I never really like the tune so I ended up never practicing rhythm guitar 😅

So my question to you is: can you find a lesson with some really cool rhythm guitar here? If so, you could start by learning a short section (if the lesson as a whole is too difficult for you) and then jam with what you learned over the provided jam track. This is actually a killer method to get you started.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Feb 26 2020, 09:06 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 26 2020, 07:55 PM) *
I was in your situation years ago when I was practicing technique/soloing all day long. In a way - I feel like I still am clueless about rhythm guitar.

But there is one thing I learned: there is no point in practicing rhythm guitar for the sake of 'practicing rhythm guitar'. You absolutely need a good reason. A good reason could be:

* you play in a band that requires you to play rhythm guitar

* you are working on your own tracks, or backings

* there is a riff you love so much you just have to learn it

For some reason, I though that the only way for me to tackle rhythm guitar, was to learn to play "Summer of 69" by Bryan Adams . I never really like the tune so I ended up never practicing rhythm guitar 😅

So my question to you is: can you find a lesson with some really cool rhythm guitar here? If so, you could start by learning a short section (if the lesson as a whole is too difficult for you) and then jam with what you learned over the provided jam track. This is actually a killer method to get you started.

Thank you for your answer.

For the moment the only reason would be that there are riffs that I like.

I found some cool rhythm guitar lessons here.

I will give you some examples:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Rock-Essentials-6/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Rock-Essentials-1/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Basic-Rock-Rhythm-2/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Rock-G...ics-8th-Rhythm/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 26 2020, 09:16 PM
GMC Founder
Yeah! I esp love Darius' rhythm coverage!

Are you able to learn just a section of any of these lessons and then jam over it?

If you could do this for 10-30 minutes on a regular basis you will def start noticing a difference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Victor Simion
Feb 26 2020, 09:17 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Feb 26 2020, 08:16 PM) *
Yeah! I esp love Darius' rhythm coverage!

Are you able to learn just a section of any of these lessons and then jam over it?

If you could do this for 10-30 minutes on a regular basis you will def start noticing a difference.

Yes, I can.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Feb 26 2020, 10:15 PM
GMC Founder
Great!

I am working on a new Rhythm lesson category/listing for you, you can see work in progress here:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/video-lessons/rhythm/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 1 2020, 11:23 PM
GMC Founder
Ok the new Rhythm Guitar section should be be somewhat complete now.

These lessons can obviously be found in other listings on the site as well, but maybe this can help some people who want to hone in specifically on rhythm guitar.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 2 2020, 09:03 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I am the same, Joe Satriani got me into guitar playing with the Surfin With The Alien album, I thought, at that time, that I didn't need to play rhythm because each track on that album was like one long guitar solo in effect. How wrong was I?

I think if you're just playing at home on your own, rhythm can be boring, a couple of years ago, I worked with Gab and learnt a few songs all the way through, just some Bad Company stuff and similar bands. I found the rhythm playing tedious and the solos, even though they sounded simple they weren't, (Mick Ralphs is an awesome guitarist) so I improvised the solos along with Ralphs using his stuff as a theme to guide me.

I think learning rhythm is best with other people, unless you have a particular passion for it, or some particular rhythm patterns. Stuff like Kris said, Summer Of 69, AC/DC Highway To Hell or many of their others are good to learn, anything that is instantly recognisable is good.

A lot of rhythm playing isn't recognisable, especially if stripped to basics, just watch a busker starting a song, a lot of the time you don't know what the song is until they start singing, unless it's one of those instantly recognisable pieces.

I think this is why it is often neglected by people not playing with other people. Try to find others to play with, my friend owns a guitar shop, he is thinking of having a weekly club for jamming and learning etc, I will attend that if it gets off the ground, maybe ask at your local guitar/music shops if they know of anything local to you.

There are a lot of rhythm lessons on here so try to find some that get your foot tapping and your head nodding, they're the ones you will put the most effort into.

All the best with your rhythm work, I will be following your progress, hopefully it iwll inspire me to try some more chordal stuff.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 2 2020, 11:15 AM
GMC Founder
Good points Phil! Something interesting I found is that even simple 8th note downpicking rhythm practicing has a noticeable effect on my overall timing (for lead playing as well).

So there are def benefits to be had for everybody - provided you can find the right type of lessons that inspire you!

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 2 2020, 04:06 PM
GMC:er
Always keep in mind that Jimi Hendrix was and is still considered (by every guitarist you've ever liked) one of the best rhythm players ever.

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Mar 3 2020, 02:48 PM
Learning Roadie
I love rhythm guitar, partly this comes from being a singer. But once you actually look at what it can entail then it gets much more interesting.

Look at funk rhythm playing and for the more metal side of things Nuno.
I prefer EVH as a rhythm player than a lead player too.

Put a drum loop on and you can spend hours weaving rhythm parts around it.

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 4 2020, 11:00 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Mar 3 2020, 02:48 PM) *
I love rhythm guitar, partly this comes from being a singer. But once you actually look at what it can entail then it gets much more interesting.

Look at funk rhythm playing and for the more metal side of things Nuno.
I prefer EVH as a rhythm player than a lead player too.

Put a drum loop on and you can spend hours weaving rhythm parts around it.

Yes, and when it comes to writing and arranging songs - rhythm guitar is a guitarists absolute most lethal weapon of choice!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 8 2020, 05:57 PM
Last night, being a bit disheartened with my current learning, I put a very simple drum track one, pulled out an acoustic guitar and sat for an hour playing open chords and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I don't know which chords go with which, major or minor, they all sounded okay to me even E major followed by E minor laugh.gif I think I'll do it once a week it was liberating wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 8 2020, 07:46 PM
GMC Founder
That's awesome Phil - a lot of times the simple solutions are best.

And changing from major to minor tonality sounds absolutely amazing, glad you discovered that! 👌

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 8 2020, 08:25 PM
Thanks Kris,

Is there a key that would use Emaj followed by Emin? I was literally just playing any chords in any order with different rhythms, occasionally when playing the E or the D I hammered onto the 3rd fret high E string on the D chord and low E string on the E chord and that gave some nice sounds when just used for one strum per bar.

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Mar 8 2020, 10:42 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 8 2020, 08:25 PM) *
Thanks Kris,

Is there a key that would use Emaj followed by Emin?

Cheers

Phil

Probably Bmajor
Try some thing like Bmajor Gbmajor (or Gb7) Emajor Emnior back to Bmajor.

Basically I V IV IVminor progression.

Its pretty cool and commun favor, for example radiohead creep.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 9 2020, 09:02 PM
Thanks buddy wink.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 9 2020, 11:01 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Mar 8 2020, 08:25 PM) *
Thanks Kris,

Is there a key that would use Emaj followed by Emin? I was literally just playing any chords in any order with different rhythms, occasionally when playing the E or the D I hammered onto the 3rd fret high E string on the D chord and low E string on the E chord and that gave some nice sounds when just used for one strum per bar.

Cheers

Phil

Hm- If you are emphasising the change of tonality Emaj to Emin - I think it would hard to cover it with a single scale - you would have to treat it as change of key.

If you just slide it in as a passing chord in can work beautifully though. To be on the safe side when soloing you would still have to pay special attention though, and maybe aim for the chord notes (arpeggio) of that outside chord.

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Mar 8 2020, 10:42 PM) *
Probably Bmajor
Try some thing like Bmajor Gbmajor (or Gb7) Emajor Emnior back to Bmajor.

Basically I V IV IVminor progression.

Its pretty cool and commun favor, for example radiohead creep.

True - this kind of thing def gives Radiohead vibes. It's a good example of how that E minor chord is sneaked in as a passing chord (it is not diatonic to the B major scale).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil66
Mar 9 2020, 11:11 PM
To me Emaj to Emin sounds good as a passing chord line EM EM Em EM and as a chord played for longer after EM.

I don't know what is do to play over it though.

Interesting.

Thanks

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 9 2020, 11:36 PM
GMC Founder
Try these and see if it gives some inspiration. It depends on the feel you are going for obviously - weather it is bluesy or popy etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:56 PM