https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEnTZetdtWw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym6_uMNG3Ac
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvh7hrI-fkY

Laney VC30 112
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po3xLCBYXKY

Vox AC30

Fender HotRoad Deluxe

Fender HotRoad Deville

In the next few weeks, I will test the amps in a music store.
But I think Laney isn´t testable, because it is very hard to find this amp in an music store in vienna sad.gif

What amp do you prefer and what amp should I also test ?

I really like the sound from the Statesman in the video.

Thanks
Frankster

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 15 2010, 07:55 PM
Learning Tone Master
Give the Marshall JVM a try!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Apr 15 2010, 08:19 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
For the tone you are searching some nice tube marshal should do the job nicely too! Remember to check it out in the store...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Apr 15 2010, 08:33 PM
Learning Tone Master
I think both JVM and Hotrod Deluxe are great choices, however it depends on what You like the most - eg. a "British" sound or an "American" sound. Marshall tend to be more midrange and kinda compressed, while Fender does half-distorted and clean sounds best imo. I love them both, and use them both as well for different purposes. Anyhow, with one of those, You can't go wrong! smile.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 15 2010, 08:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
Well, i like blues and rock and I use a mark five! Not the most popular I know but trust me, it rocks, hard!!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Apr 15 2010, 11:01 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
You mentioned it, I think the Statesman is a worthy contender. And an interesting choise too imho.

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Apr 15 2010, 11:31 PM
GMC:er
Where are you going to try them?

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Apr 15 2010, 11:38 PM
Instructor
i would try a vox ac50, maybe it is exactly what you need wink.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Apr 16 2010, 12:13 AM
+1 for vox! im also super suprised no one has mentioned fender! they are the king of blues!

you get some really highend second hand tube amps from fender...if i had to choose an amp for cleans, id take a fender for my cleans, and a mesa for everything else

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 16 2010, 08:14 AM
My vote goes for the Vox Ac50. It's great option for what you're looking for

+Quote Post
Frankster
Apr 16 2010, 10:05 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Apr 15 2010, 08:55 PM) *
Give the Marshall JVM a try!

I will smile.gif
I´ve tested the JVM410. But I don´t need an 100W Top
I´m searching a combo and I think the JVM205C is an interesting choice

@ Bogdan Radovic
For the tone you are searching some nice tube marshal should do the job nicely too! Remember to check it out in the store...

Ok biggrin.gif

@Staffy
I think both JVM and Hotrod Deluxe are great choices, however it depends on what You like the most - eg. a "British" sound or an "American" sound. Marshall tend to be more midrange and kinda compressed, while Fender does half-distorted and clean sounds best imo. I love them both, and use them both as well for different purposes. Anyhow, with one of those, You can't go wrong!

Thanks
A friend has an HDR and its a cool amp.
But it is a very very loud amp. I think a volume box is interesting

@sted
Well, i like blues and rock and I use a mark five! Not the most popular I know but trust me, it rocks, hard!!

The mark V is a really cool amp, but tooooooooooooooooooo expensive wink.gif
3000 Euro ohmy.gif
And tooo much settings wink.gif

@MickeM
You mentioned it, I think the Statesman is a worthy contender. And an interesting choise too imho.

I like the sound in the video. I have to test this one.

@Berglmir
Where are you going to try them?

Klangfarbe in vienna
Do you have some other interesting music stores ?

@the vox guys wink.gif
30 or 50 watts ?
I will test the 30 watts
It should be a combo and not to heavy wink.gif

Frankster

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 16 2010, 01:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
AC30 is the classic vox in m opinion, very nice. I think they do a heritage reissue as well which is meant to be stunning, if you like vox of course!
Again if you like the ox sound then Matchless are a good option, expensive though. A plexi type of sound might suit you better than the vox sound, its very chimey and the overdrive is very distinct but it aint no marshall and thats what most people associate with classic/modern rock sounds \m/

Either way, theyre all awesome in their own right!

This post has been edited by sted: Apr 16 2010, 01:15 PM

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Apr 16 2010, 10:07 PM
QUOTE (Frankster @ Apr 16 2010, 11:05 AM) *
@Berglmir

Klangfarbe in vienna
Do you have some other interesting music stores ?

Although they have a great choice of amps to try I find their support skills...well....lacking.
I have recently discovered this: http://www.soundforum.at/
The seller there is a musician also and a very very friendly guy. The shop is a bit of a "Geheimtip" BUT he got recommended by professional musicians (people earning their living as guitar players) and he only sells high quality stuff.
I was there on Tuesday and today.......see here: tongue.gif
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry475753

Maybe you should give it a try (mind the opening times btw!)

Good luck with your search!

+Quote Post
stratman79
Apr 16 2010, 11:04 PM
Learning Rock Star
Maybe look to see if you can pick up a second hand mesa mavrick.. I have one and its awsome.

Other wise I'd look at an AC30, great classic amp...

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Apr 17 2010, 02:12 AM
Depends if you want to gig with it or if you want it for your home. Home = 30w Gig = 50w

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Apr 17 2010, 02:29 AM
Instructor
yeah the ac30 is ALWAYS a great choice, but prepare to have 654564616548964 pedals for it smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Frankster
Apr 17 2010, 08:53 AM
@sted
AC30 is the classic vox in m opinion, very nice. I think they do a heritage reissue as well which is meant to be stunning, if you like vox of course!
Again if you like the ox sound then Matchless are a good option, expensive though. A plexi type of sound might suit you better than the vox sound, its very chimey and the overdrive is very distinct but it aint no marshall and thats what most people associate with classic/modern rock sounds \m/

Either way, theyre all awesome in their own right!

Your recommendations are very interesting *g* biggrin.gif
My budget are 1000 Euro.
The Mark V is quite expensive, but I think the Matchless is more expensive wink.gif

@Berglmir
Thanks for the tip
On the HP I only find Marshall amps. What amps do they have in the shop for testing ?
Do you know Dr. Dings ? http://www.dr.dings.at/
The HP is terrible wink.gif

@Santiago Diaz Garces
Depends if you want to gig with it or if you want it for your home. Home = 30w Gig = 50w

Home and jamming

@Adrian Figallo
yeah the ac30 is ALWAYS a great choice, but prepare to have 654564616548964 pedals for it

The 50 watt amp dont need this count on pedals *g* ?
I´m not a metaller wink.gif

Thanks
Frankster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 18 2010, 11:07 PM
Instructor
If you need Rock & Blues, Fender is the best. However, Fender can be tricky for too much distortion in general, so getting a nice pedal with it will prove very useful. My advice:

- Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (limited editions with Celestion speakers are better)
- Tonebone Classic Distortion pedal

you are all set then biggrin.gif

bare in mind this is a very specific tone, so definitely try as many as possible to find what you like

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Apr 18 2010, 11:08 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Frankster
Apr 19 2010, 01:01 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Apr 19 2010, 12:07 AM) *
If you need Rock & Blues, Fender is the best. However, Fender can be tricky for too much distortion in general, so getting a nice pedal with it will prove very useful. My advice:

- Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (limited editions with Celestion speakers are better)
- Tonebone Classic Distortion pedal

you are all set then biggrin.gif

bare in mind this is a very specific tone, so definitely try as many as possible to find what you like

Hi Ivan!

Thanks for your answer.
Fender HDR is on my list for testing smile.gif

As blues-musician, what do you think about the Fender Deville 212 and the Hughes & Kettner Statesman Dual ?
I heard the Fender Deville at the "Vargas Blues Band" concert and the sound was great smile.gif
The guitarist also used a tube screamer pedal.

Do you use a volume box or Attenuator for the Fender HDR ?
Because they are really loud

Thanks
Frankster

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 19 2010, 05:49 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Frankster @ Apr 19 2010, 02:01 PM) *
Hi Ivan!

Thanks for your answer.
Fender HDR is on my list for testing smile.gif

As blues-musician, what do you think about the Fender Deville 212 and the Hughes & Kettner Statesman Dual ?
I heard the Fender Deville at the "Vargas Blues Band" concert and the sound was great smile.gif
The guitarist also used a tube screamer pedal.

Do you use a volume box or Attenuator for the Fender HDR ?
Because they are really loud

Thanks
Frankster

I think Fender Deville 212 is better choice then HRD 112 simply because it has 2 speakers. However, I tested Deville 410 combo and that thing rocks, it's definitely the best of the bunch. It's very loud too, great if you need an amp for medium to big sized venues.
I tried Statesman Dual 6L6 when I was buying an amp, and I didn't like the sound/price ratio, perhaps you will. It's all matter of taste. It's a powerful combo, again suitable only for medium to large venues. If you are interested in some good Rock tones next to Blues ones, then try to test Dual EL34 amp. It is a head (I think there is combo too), and it has slightly aggressive EL34ish oriented tone towards rock.

You mentioned TS pedal. This pedal is one of the best overdrive pedals out there, and it definitely pays out to have one - it always find it's purpose in the line of duty. It's not a perfect pedal, but it does what it does very well, and there is a reason people still prefer it today for blues/rock.

For all of these Fender amps we are discussing here, you will simply need a pedal. The more transparent and lighter overdrive you get, the better your sound will translate to the amp. Even a booster/preamp will work nicely. Booster/overdrive market is huge today, with lots of cool stomps available. I would say - if you get a Fender amp, and buy TS, BB Preamp, or Fulltone OCD, you won't make a mistake. They will all work great on that Fender. These pedals will not give you too much gain, they are made for giving light overdrive/pushing the front end of your amp to distort, but that's it. For blues you don't need more, specially with Fender amps having two channels and "more drive" option.

The problem with tube amplifiers is that you have to play them loud, and they are all loud one way or another. It's the purpose of an "amplifier" to be loud as hell for gigs. Now there are options for getting 0-5W tube amps for home or recording, but that's a different category (and very cool one too! smile.gif ).

If you need a gigging guitar amplifier for smaller clubs, you want slightly dirty, sparkly, but cherry cleans, with decent reverb built in - then Fender HRD is a way to go IMHO. I was very close in buying Fender HRD Wine red Limited Edition, but in the last moment I checked Hiwatt DR103 and as soon as I heard the tone I forgot about Fender. Again thing of preference. Taming that beast of 100W is not easy, so attenuator is definitely on the list of things to get in the future. Even playing a 40W tube combo in a club can often be too much because the guitar amp will go to PA mostly, so if you plan to achieve power tube ovedrive, you have to crank it, and tame the volume somehow.

Attenuators on the other hand are very expensive (compared to materials that are being used within). Good attenuator costs from 250-300$ and above. The problem is not the price IMO, but the very limited range of use. For players who have tube amps that have sweet power tube saturation (Fender amps are definitely in this category) and they need this sound for gigs a lot, it's a good investment. If you have a pedal, that will do the job no problem. It won't be the same but you can live with it, and it's cheaper. Nobody in the audience hears it anyway wink.gif

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Apr 19 2010, 05:52 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 08:29 PM