Bending Question
bryanmoore
Jun 13 2011, 02:17 AM
GMC:er
Greeting GMC,

I'm having a very productive string bending session today and wanted know if you guys thought my technique sounded okay.

Instead of my typical approach, (I hold on to the string with three fingers and rely on pressure and grooved calluses) I started pressing into the fretboard just beneath the string I'm bending. Of course I'm still holding onto the string but with a lot less pressure. My fingers are signifigantly flatter and the string is resting a little higher up on my fingertip.

It feels great, but just wanted to know if anyone thought I might be getting into a bad habit or something. I hope not because I'm finally getting a nice controlled vibrato. By the way my action is low to medium.

And yes Daniel Realpe I know, I'm micro-analyzing it again.

Bryan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
dark dude
Jun 13 2011, 03:13 AM
I'm having a tough time picturing exactly what you're describing. Any chance you could take a photo? Or rephrase?

You're basically making contact with the string further down on the finger, towards the joint?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 13 2011, 09:38 AM
Instructor
Indeed, a little image or video would surely help smile.gif otherwise, if you get things done and the bending/ vibrato sounds awesome, you should have no worries - but help us visualize a little wink.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 13 2011, 09:39 AM
Instructor
I'm not sure exactly what you mean either, it would be great if you could make pics with your mobile phone and post them for us to check it out, or even better, record small phone clip, and post it on YT.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jun 13 2011, 11:52 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
So you're "lifting" the string with your fingertips with less pressure towards the fret if I got that right?
Sounds a bit weird to me. The whole idea would be that the string makes better contact with the fret rather than rest on your fingertips.
But that's me and I'm no expert smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 13 2011, 11:54 AM
Instructor
From what you've described it sounds about right to me.. you're getting your finger in the optimum position.. sort of 'into' the fretboard and 'under' the string almost.. instead of relying on it sitting in a grooved callus ?

But yes, a little video would help us know for sure.. but 9 times out of 10, if it feels and sounds right.. it is right smile.gif And good to hear about the vibrato, it's essential cool.gif

+Quote Post
bryanmoore
Jun 14 2011, 01:54 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 13 2011, 10:54 AM) *
From what you've described it sounds about right to me.. you're getting your finger in the optimum position.. sort of 'into' the fretboard and 'under' the string almost.. instead of relying on it sitting in a grooved callus ?

But yes, a little video would help us know for sure.. but 9 times out of 10, if it feels and sounds right.. it is right smile.gif And good to hear about the vibrato, it's essential cool.gif

Thanks for the input Ben. I always look forward to your advice.

This whole string bending/ vibrato thing turned out to be much harder to master than I ever thought it would be. Well, master may be jumping the gun a bit, but I'm clearly on the other side of the mountain and gaining steam. Now, the fun begins.
Thanks to all the instructors on this site. It's been well worth the money.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 14 2011, 11:31 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (bryanmoore @ Jun 14 2011, 01:54 AM) *
Thanks for the input Ben. I always look forward to your advice.

This whole string bending/ vibrato thing turned out to be much harder to master than I ever thought it would be. Well, master may be jumping the gun a bit, but I'm clearly on the other side of the mountain and gaining steam. Now, the fun begins.
Thanks to all the instructors on this site. It's been well worth the money.

Bryan, I'm really pleased to hear you're making good progress with bending/vibrato.. it can be a very tricky subject and some guitarists just leave it alone altogether and it always remins a weakness. And thank you for your compliments.. I know all here at GMC will be really pleased to hear that you think that smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:49 PM