2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What Was Guitar Type You've Started Your Playing On?, classical, acoustic, electric or bass ?:)
Darius Wave
Jul 8 2013, 03:10 PM
Instructor
Hello Family:)

Just wondering what kind of guitar was Your very first smile.gif

I've started to play classical at music school and my first rock licks for electric guitar were praciticed on the classical. Nylon strings and wide distance between them was a huge challange but Just had no other option at least for the first 5 years of playing smile.gif I'm very glad I've started this way cause some mechnisms working in classical playing and later the chords playing helped me a lot to develope my overall skills.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 8 2013, 04:38 PM
Instructor
I played the first riffs on an old nylon guitar that was from my father's teenager years. As he noticed a big interest on me, he gave me my electric guitar for Christmas when I was 11.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 8 2013, 05:50 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 8 2013, 02:10 PM) *
Hello Family:)

Just wondering what kind of guitar was Your very first smile.gif

I've started to play classical at music school and my first rock licks for electric guitar were praciticed on the classical. Nylon strings and wide distance between them was a huge challange but Just had no other option at least for the first 5 years of playing smile.gif I'm very glad I've started this way cause some mechnisms working in classical playing and later the chords playing helped me a lot to develope my overall skills.

pretty much same story smile.gif when I started electric lessons my techer was shocked as I could play a 1-2-3-4 exercise almost forever thanks to those thick strings on classical guitar biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Jul 8 2013, 05:50 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jul 8 2013, 05:56 PM
Started on a cheap beaten up steel string acoustic which had an insanely high action, got to play lead on some local acoustic rock bands smile.gif I think it was 2006 when I got that guitar, so I was 14 then tongue.gif

Got my first electric (which I still have and love) at 16 or 17 along with a free amp and a boss ds1 pedal biggrin.gif still have that pedal too smile.gif

Now I've a hand-built stack and a fernandes fa10 modified practice amp biggrin.gif and a zoom G1N processor tongue.gif

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Jul 8 2013, 05:57 PM

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 8 2013, 06:13 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Classical, then soon after a Tele.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jul 8 2013, 06:21 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I started on a cheap Squire Jr. that my Dad got me off of eBay wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jul 8 2013, 06:52 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Yamaha Western - cheaper one and after Fender Strat Mexico

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 8 2013, 07:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 8 2013, 03:38 PM) *
I played the first riffs on an old nylon guitar that was from my father's teenager years. As he noticed a big interest on me, he gave me my electric guitar for Christmas when I was 11.

Ha ha ha! Same with me! Old German (NRD?) Musima from my father...then my first personal classic but a bit later than You had - I was about 12 when I got my first Spanish Jose Ramirez (damn beast is still working and will be 18 years old soon ! smile.gif First electric when I was 15 smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Jul 8 2013, 04:50 PM) *
pretty much same story smile.gif when I started electric lessons my techer was shocked as I could play a 1-2-3-4 exercise almost forever thanks to those thick strings on classical guitar biggrin.gif

Indeed...awesome feeling to rip the Gilberts or Bettencourt licks on the classical biggrin.gif

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jul 8 2013, 04:56 PM) *
Started on a cheap beaten up steel string acoustic which had an insanely high action, got to play lead on some local acoustic rock bands smile.gif I think it was 2006 when I got that guitar, so I was 14 then tongue.gif

Got my first electric (which I still have and love) at 16 or 17 along with a free amp and a boss ds1 pedal biggrin.gif still have that pedal too smile.gif

Now I've a hand-built stack and a fernandes fa10 modified practice amp biggrin.gif and a zoom G1N processor tongue.gif

I also still own my first...I only make "some" mods like....the only original thing that left is the body wood biggrin.gif it's mu bloody mary from metalcore chops 1 biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Fran @ Jul 8 2013, 05:13 PM) *
Classical, then soon after a Tele.

Fran...I knew You just grown-up too fast biggrin.gif From Classical directly to tele... damn biggrin.gif

QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Jul 8 2013, 05:21 PM) *
I started on a cheap Squire Jr. that my Dad got me off of eBay wink.gif

I've dreamed about Cream Squier Strat with rosewood fretboard back in 96' when they made the Aniversarry series. I had no idea I will own one 16 years later biggrin.gif Childish dream came true biggrin.gif Funny thing...never heard of Beck back then but...now...such a coincidence - one of my idols smile.gif

QUOTE (Dieterle @ Jul 8 2013, 05:52 PM) *
Yamaha Western - cheaper one and after Fender Strat Mexico

I was obsessed about early Pacyfica but that time much older friend heleped me a lot (couldn't afford my own electric) he borrowed me his mexican strat for qute some time smile.gif))

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jul 8 2013, 08:53 PM
Theory Instructor
I had a Sammick acoustic guitar for about 2 months or so, maybe 3 months. After I learned to play some songs on it and showed enough interest in playing guitar, my folks brought me to the local music store to buy a Squire Strat back in 94. Great guitar for the money, think it cost about $250 US back then, but it played great and was cherry red. I was a happy kid that's for sure!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Jul 8 2013, 08:57 PM
I started from the beginning on electric. Because i couldn't produce metal on nylon strings cool.gif

I remmeber practice E power chord on 1 string for days, till i got that "Phat" tone. It was a big challenge to produce those palm muted sounds smile.gif

This post has been edited by Slavenko Erazer: Jul 8 2013, 08:58 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 8 2013, 09:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Jul 8 2013, 07:57 PM) *
I started from the beginning on electric. Because i couldn't produce metal on nylon strings cool.gif

I remmeber practice E power chord on 1 string for days, till i got that "Phat" tone. It was a big challenge to produce those palm muted sounds smile.gif

I tried to do that by setting high input level on my hi-fi amp, put the headphones into resonanse hole and then plug it into mic input of mentioned amp biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
waynedcoville
Jul 8 2013, 09:49 PM
i started on a japscrap copy of an SG that i literally found in the attic of the new place my family moved into. its was red and really beaten up. the only pickup that worked was the neck. the action was ridiculous. the strings were rusty. i loved it. it was 1990. i was 14. i was listening to Metallica's "...and justice for all" for two years straight. im my mind i was riffing and thrashing like james hetfield. in reality, i sucked the proverbial ass. i didn't have an amp so i played it through my stereo which proceeded to blow out my speakers. i noticed that i preferred tuning the strings really low. i had very little understanding of music theory or the mechanics of a guitar at the time, but i realized that the sound i was trying to achieve was the low end of bass. 23 years later i still suck but at least i have an amp and the right instrument.

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 8 2013, 11:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
first electric, switched to lefthanded and was always turning it down in the middle of a song

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jul 9 2013, 06:45 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
First was some cheapo no name short scale acoustic I got when I was very young , then into my teens years I got ahold of a used beat up Sears Silvertone electric, then finally my first decent electric was a Suzuki Les Paul copy laugh.gif Varoom!!

+Quote Post
uncguy4321
Jul 9 2013, 07:43 AM
My mom is a guitarist...and she's always been acoustic. So, Takamine acoustics growing up. But I only got interested in guitar 6-7 months ago. I am currently using a nth-hand no name electric, strat style. Basically, I am using the classic crappy first guitar everyone talks about. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Jul 9 2013, 07:46 AM
it was a cort electric with two single coil pickups and in same shape as a Joan Jett gibson,

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 9 2013, 08:23 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
The first ever contact with a guitar was on some smaller western type of acoustic guitar. Never saw guitar like that, it has smaller neck and everything. My sister bought it in Prague from some street musician I think smile.gif

Then soon after that one I got completely beat up and unplayable classical guitar. I played with that classical guitar more and found it cool to pluck the E string like on the upright bass smile.gif Loved that sound, heheh that must be my "bass genes" kicking in early. At this point I was just a little kid and didn't know if and how to tune a guitar, how to play anything on it etc. I was basically just "playing" with it from time to time.

My first real guitar was a stratocaster copy by brand called Chester smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 9 2013, 08:44 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (waynedcoville @ Jul 8 2013, 08:49 PM) *
i started on a japscrap copy of an SG that i literally found in the attic of the new place my family moved into. its was red and really beaten up. the only pickup that worked was the neck. the action was ridiculous. the strings were rusty. i loved it. it was 1990. i was 14. i was listening to Metallica's "...and justice for all" for two years straight. im my mind i was riffing and thrashing like james hetfield. in reality, i sucked the proverbial ass. i didn't have an amp so i played it through my stereo which proceeded to blow out my speakers. i noticed that i preferred tuning the strings really low. i had very little understanding of music theory or the mechanics of a guitar at the time, but i realized that the sound i was trying to achieve was the low end of bass. 23 years later i still suck but at least i have an amp and the right instrument.

You know what? "I suck" feeling probably never leaves Us. There are tons of things to improve and tones iof players to be jelous for their playing smile.gif
But the good new is...that's probably of of the reasons why guitar never made me boring smile.gif

You found an SG...quite weird You didn't become a Angus Young fan back then smile.gif))

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 8 2013, 10:48 PM) *
first electric, switched to lefthanded and was always turning it down in the middle of a song

Friend had simialr natural finish V:) His bass player made it smile.gif

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jul 9 2013, 05:45 AM) *
First was some cheapo no name short scale acoustic I got when I was very young , then into my teens years I got ahold of a used beat up Sears Silvertone electric, then finally my first decent electric was a Suzuki Les Paul copy laugh.gif Varoom!!

Suzuki You say biggrin.gif And it had two wheels ?biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 9 2013, 09:44 AM
Instructor
Hehe smile.gif I had a little medium sized acoustic guitar that had A HUMBUCKER installed biggrin.gif It belonged to my best friend who placed it in my hands when I was 13 years of age. Of course, I learned how to play 'Seek and destroy' from Metallica with it and I was very happy biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 9 2013, 11:39 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (uncguy4321 @ Jul 9 2013, 06:43 AM) *
My mom is a guitarist...and she's always been acoustic. So, Takamine acoustics growing up. But I only got interested in guitar 6-7 months ago. I am currently using a nth-hand no name electric, strat style. Basically, I am using the classic crappy first guitar everyone talks about. biggrin.gif

My father plays acoustic smile.gif But he wa playing old classical Musima when I started. I love classical and acoustic pretty as much as electric. +1 for the Takamine...one of my favourites in the low price range smile.gif

QUOTE (Patrik Berg @ Jul 9 2013, 06:46 AM) *
it was a cort electric with two single coil pickups and in same shape as a Joan Jett gibson,

Cort You say...probably one of the best for metal beginners \m/

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:16 AM