I Is Here
Headbanger
Jan 25 2013, 12:29 PM
GMC:er
Hi all,

I joined the other day hoping to improve my fretboard skills. Im a 50 year old Brit and I live in Spain with my family. I am pretty useless guitar player really considering I first picked up a guitar about 23 years ago....although it has to be said i haven't played much apart from a bass for the last 14 years..and that's only a few times. I swapped my electric guitar back then for a bass so that I could do a couple of gigs with a local band in England....The Bass never really had the come and play me magic that a guitar had, so about a year ago I swapped my 5 string Warwick thumb for a US Fender strat and bought a small Vox practice amp..I found myself in the same place as before..learning stuff from Tabs and studying a few scales and chords..So I came here to get better. I did something a bit silly recently and bought another guitar over the internet without trying it first..Its coming from a reputable dealer in New York and is apparently set up professionally (its second hand)..so hope fully I will like my Epiphone Les Paul 1960 Tribute...anyway it looks nice and have already fallen in love with it so I don't really care what anyone else thinks, just hope it gets here soon!
This will be a nice addition to my Dean acoustic steel string and traditional Spanish guitar (which have been with me for a very long time.)

I love all music (apart from Opera) but I do have a bit of a preference for Blue/Rock Jimi Hendrix and Angus, Gary Moore, Rory Gallagher, Peter Green etc. etc. I don't want to be a guitar hero..I just love the sound of guitars and just wish I could reproduce some of the stuff that I like..Maybe one day I'll join another band...The last one was fun until the Lead guitarist ran off with the Rhythm Guitarists Girlfriend (they got married in the end).

I'm out of work in Spain and occasionally make some money drawing/illustrating stupid things...If you want to see some..here is my blog:

thepenmover.blogspot.com

Cant think of anything more to say at the moment....oh don't ask for a recording of my music yet..it doesn't exist....YET
Why Headbanger? I don't know..really..... I don't headbang.

Cheers
Rod

(Headbanger) (Pen Mover) Oh and someone please send me those Riffs that I was promised by someone!!! cool.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 25 2013, 02:02 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Welcome to GMC Rod - very cool introduction! smile.gif
I have checked out your drawings and they are very cool.

Good to hear about your bass playing experience and yes - bass might not be that fun on its own if you don't get a chance to play it in a band setting where it shines.

The last one was fun until the Lead guitarist ran off with the Rhythm Guitarists Girlfriend (they got married in the end).

hahahahhaha laugh.gif

See you around the forum and yes - you should definitely start songwriting, its fun and you just get better and better at it with practice.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jan 25 2013, 02:07 PM
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 25 2013, 01:02 PM) *
Welcome to GMC Rod - very cool introduction! smile.gif
I have checked out your drawings and they are very cool.

Good to hear about your bass playing experience and yes - bass might not be that fun on its own if you don't get a chance to play it in a band setting where it shines.

hahahahhaha laugh.gif

See you around the forum and yes - you should definitely start songwriting, its fun and you just get better and better at it with practice.

Thanks Bogdan...why songwriting?

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jan 25 2013, 02:10 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Welcome to GMC Rod!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 25 2013, 02:11 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Jan 25 2013, 02:07 PM) *
Thanks Bogdan...why songwriting?

Because its fun and allows you to explore the instrument deeper.
Also its very fulfilling once you have a song completed. Especially when you listen back to the songs after years have passed smile.gif

oh don't ask for a recording of my music yet..it doesn't exist....YET
Why Headbanger? I don't know..really.....

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Blister
Jan 25 2013, 02:14 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Rod & welcome to GMC from another (soon to be 50) that had to dust off the ol' guitar due to a rekindled passion to play again! smile.gif Great intro. Tons of resources, awesome & quick to respond instructors and absolutely the friendliest, knowledgeable & most encouraging guitar forum on the net! I'm looking forward to seein' the new addition!

Gary

--------------------

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jan 25 2013, 02:21 PM
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jan 25 2013, 01:10 PM) *
Welcome to GMC Rod!

Thanks Gitarrero

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jan 25 2013, 01:11 PM) *
Because its fun and allows you to explore the instrument deeper.
Also its very fulfilling once you have a song completed. Especially when you listen back to the songs after years have passed smile.gif

I like people giving me ideas and suggestions like that thanks...its always good to get a foot up your backside in another direction!

QUOTE (Blister @ Jan 25 2013, 01:14 PM) *
Hi Rod & welcome to GMC from another (soon to be 50) that had to dust off the ol' guitar due to a rekindled passion to play again! smile.gif Great intro. Tons of resources, awesome & quick to respond instructors and absolutely the friendliest, knowledgeable & most encouraging guitar forum on the net! I'm looking forward to seein' the new addition!

Gary

Thanks Blister! Nice to know there are others here of a similar age..I don't really want to be the only older guy here. I stumbled upon this site and it seemed very good...more than what I will ever need/could learn..

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jan 25 2013, 02:27 PM
Welcome Rod! Your'e not the only one here to dust off a guitar and use it for drum stick! LOL!! I think one or two of us here are doing the same thing, so you've come to the right place. Lots of good things here to learn and lots of great people to learn from!

Look forward to seein you around!

Cheers,

-Mark

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jan 25 2013, 03:39 PM
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Jan 25 2013, 01:27 PM) *
Welcome Rod! Your'e not the only one here to dust off a guitar and use it for drum stick! LOL!! I think one or two of us here are doing the same thing, so you've come to the right place. Lots of good things here to learn and lots of great people to learn from!

Cheers,

-Mark

Cheers Mark..Thanks for the welcome, its appreciated. Can't wait to learn something new..I'm already motivated more than ever...When i first started in 1990..There wasn't anywhere like this..everyone relied on The Guitar mags and having a good ear.
No doubt we'll see each other here again!

QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Jan 25 2013, 01:27 PM) *

Cheers,

-Mark

BTW I love the Air guiitar Instructor...I wanna be one too!

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jan 25 2013, 03:44 PM
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Jan 25 2013, 09:39 AM) *
Cheers Mark..Thanks for the welcome, its appreciated. Can't wait to learn something new..I'm already motivated more than ever...When i first started in 1990..There wasn't anywhere like this..everyone relied on The Guitar mags and having a good ear.
No doubt we'll see each other here again!

BTW I love the Air guiitar Instructor...I wanna be one too!

Heh heh, yea I figured I was good at something and I figured out that was it.... SO, since it appears that I am the only one here at GMC, or at least that I've noticed, then you have passed the Air Guitar exam. You are now officially an Air Guitar Instructor. All it takes is the the WANT to earn you that prestigious title.

Next week we'll work on silent singing techniques and air percussion. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jan 25 2013, 04:09 PM
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Jan 25 2013, 02:44 PM) *
Heh heh, yea I figured I was good at something and I figured out that was it.... SO, since it appears that I am the only one here at GMC, or at least that I've noticed, then you have passed the Air Guitar exam. You are now officially an Air Guitar Instructor. All it takes is the the WANT to earn you that prestigious title.

Next week we'll work on silent singing techniques and air percussion. biggrin.gif

Haha...Brilliant.....I take my air guitar everywhere with me!

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jan 25 2013, 05:08 PM
Yes indeed, that is the sign of a true master... Plus it is highly portable and less annoying to my wife... smile.gif Well, noise wise that is, she seems to get a bit embarrassed when I'm doing a Metallica Solo in the middle of the mall with my head phones on..... My kids run away too, even the little ones are skeered! LOL laugh.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 25 2013, 11:25 PM
Instructor
Hi Pen Mover! biggrin.gif Welcome to the site! Thanks for sharing your bass/guitar story! It's cool that finally you are on the right side... Guitar side. tongue.gif just kidding! I checked your blog and I really liked your drawings! You are very talented! smile.gif
Let me know if you need some help of assistance with your guitar playing or the site!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jan 26 2013, 12:49 AM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 25 2013, 10:25 PM) *
Hi Pen Mover! biggrin.gif Welcome to the site! Thanks for sharing your bass/guitar story! It's cool that finally you are on the right side... Guitar side. tongue.gif just kidding! I checked your blog and I really liked your drawings! You are very talented! smile.gif
Let me know if you need some help of assistance with your guitar playing or the site!

Thanks Gabriel...I will!!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 27 2013, 05:00 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! Welcome to GMC smile.gif Please let us know if there's anything we might help out with wink.gif

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jan 27 2013, 05:22 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 27 2013, 05:00 PM) *
Hey mate! Welcome to GMC smile.gif Please let us know if there's anything we might help out with wink.gif

Thanks Cosmin...I'm sure you can help me with everything....Today I'm trying to plug into my computer with Reaper..once I've worked out
a good way of recording things..I'll no doubt be in contact!
Cheers
Rod

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jan 27 2013, 05:45 PM
Welcome to GMC Rod!!
Where abouts in Spain are you?
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Jan 25 2013, 02:44 PM) *

We are still awaiting the Video Lessons!!!
tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Sensible Jones: Jan 27 2013, 05:46 PM

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 27 2013, 06:18 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC PenMover !

Love the sketches.. the police line up one is classic laugh.gif

I also do things with pens... be careful, it's not PC..

http://www.thereckoning.net/frank-blake---vigilante.php

+Quote Post
Headbanger
Jan 27 2013, 06:35 PM
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Jan 27 2013, 05:45 PM) *
Welcome to GMC Rod!!
Where abouts in Spain are you?
biggrin.gif

We are still awaiting the Video Lessons!!!
tongue.gif

Haha Cheers Sensible...I live in the mediterranean mountains with Spanish Hillbilly folk not too far from Valencia...('Deliverance' Guitars and banjos duel)..
doh de de duh doh duh doh duh doh doo....doo doo duh do doo dee doh (air banjo players with funny eyes and no hair)..

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 27 2013, 06:18 PM) *
Welcome to GMC PenMover !

Love the sketches.. the police line up one is classic laugh.gif

I also do things with pens... be careful, it's not PC..

http://www.thereckoning.net/frank-blake---vigilante.php

Haha Thanks Ben! Appreciated... If its PC then Its Not Me!!

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Jan 28 2013, 04:00 AM
QUOTE (Headbanger @ Jan 27 2013, 12:35 PM) *
Haha Cheers Sensible...I live in the mediterranean mountains with Spanish Hillbilly folk not too far from Valencia...('Deliverance' Guitars and banjos duel)..
doh de de duh doh duh doh duh doh doo....doo doo duh do doo dee doh (air banjo players with funny eyes and no hair)..

Haha Thanks Ben! Appreciated... If its PC then Its Not Me!!

AIR BANJO!!! DELIVERANCE!!! SWEET! You are my kinda Hillbilly folk, I too am from Hillbilly central! In your above air tune... instead of doh, we start ours with duh... and end it with "Hey Y'all, Watch This!"!.... this usually ends bad... biggrin.gif

LOL!!!

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:52 PM