Another Problem With My Interface
ChocolateThunda
Mar 17 2015, 02:16 PM
GMC:er
Hi all.

Never properly got this bloody thing working and it's starting to get on my nerves. I bought a new PC recently and I've just tried to record some tunes. I'm 100% beginner at this, and I'm using Reaper with a Scarlett 2i2, recording from my BlackStart HT Soloist 60 via the emulated output.

When I record, I can see the signal being input, and I can hear my guitar through the studio monitors with my pedals and stuff. So I know the interface is working, and so is my output and monitors.

But when I click to playback, all I hear is crackling. That's it, no difference in volume, just a crackling noise. Does anyone know what this could be? I'm thinking it's GOT to be a setting in Reaper. When I get home from work today I might try and record something in Audacity to see if I can replicate the issue.

Really hope you guys can help because I've had this a while now and never had it properly working.

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 17 2015, 02:54 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, this can be related to "latency" settings. You have to go to Reaper's preferences and search for latency settings and change the buffer number. I think that you must have your buffering in 128 and maybe your computer doesn't support it, try changing it to higher buffering.

Check this video:

There, this is explained with asio for all, in your case you have to use your soundcard drivers instead of asio4all, but the process is the same.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Mar 17 2015, 03:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
The better(faster) the latency usually results in this.It might not show up in play back however. You will need to find a "happy" ground for recording purposes . Low latency for recording leads to better timing or altogether on time of your guitar , When you switch to mixing adlust your latency to higher settings , as it won't matter at playback and the crackling should stop

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 17 2015, 04:37 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Gabriel and jstcrsn are onto something here!

I'd agree that this is most likely a buffer settings (sample rate) issue. Try increasing the buffer settings to 256 for example and see if crackling disappears. Downside of that is the higher you go more latency you get so you need low buffer settings in order to record with all the effects and everything in real time.

Please let me know if this solves the issue?

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2015, 07:49 PM
Is reaper set to use your SCARLETT interface? Also, as GABE says, adjust your latency settings UP and see if that helps. Have you never gotten output from your scarlett?

+Quote Post
ChocolateThunda
May 24 2015, 03:37 PM
I was putting this off for ages as it's been annoying me and I just wanna forget about it, but I really need to fix it.

Here's whats happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GYxIkWk67I

I raised the buffer and everything, I know my interface definitely works because my mate tested it on his Mac. I tried this also in Audacity and it was the same thing.

Any thoughts?

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 24 2015, 08:36 PM
QUOTE (ChocolateThunda @ May 24 2015, 04:37 PM) *
I was putting this off for ages as it's been annoying me and I just wanna forget about it, but I really need to fix it.

Here's whats happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GYxIkWk67I

I raised the buffer and everything, I know my interface definitely works because my mate tested it on his Mac. I tried this also in Audacity and it was the same thing.

Any thoughts?

I have never experienced such noises/issue with my audio interface so I don't think this is the "usual stuff".

Did you maybe install Asio4All driver on your computer?
It might be worth uninstalling the audio card drivers and then downloading the fresh ones from the product manufacture website and (re)installing them. The goal is to remove all audio drivers etc and install new ones for your audio card.

Since this happens in different recording software, I don't think it is related to any specific setting in Reaper.

If same procedure works on your friends computer (recording and then playing back the recorded track), this is probably not a hardware fault rather something in the software (windows drivers).

Please let me know how it goes?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 25 2015, 04:40 AM
Well said!! If it works on another computer then it's not the interface. It's your computer. sad.gif questions!

1.)is the interface plugged in to a USB HUB? if so plug the interface in to it's own usb port.

2.)unplug as many other usb things as possible.

3.)make sure you have the latest driver for your device.

4.)reboot.

Then let us know how it goes smile.gif

bv
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 24 2015, 03:36 PM) *
I have never experienced such noises/issue with my audio interface so I don't think this is the "usual stuff".

Did you maybe install Asio4All driver on your computer?
It might be worth uninstalling the audio card drivers and then downloading the fresh ones from the product manufacture website and (re)installing them. The goal is to remove all audio drivers etc and install new ones for your audio card.

Since this happens in different recording software, I don't think it is related to any specific setting in Reaper.

If same procedure works on your friends computer (recording and then playing back the recorded track), this is probably not a hardware fault rather something in the software (windows drivers).

Please let me know how it goes?

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
May 25 2015, 02:25 PM
Instructor
Try to run 32bit version of Reaper. USB interfaces has been causing "crackling issues" all the time. Even with a pretty powerfull CPU. Somehow there is much more causes of those issues when using USB interfaces. Everything can be a problem here - other USB devices, USB port, drivers,overall cpu performance. Also....Sampling Rate has a lot to do with it.

If You want to get rid of crackling, you have to start from making most common compromise:

1. Downgrade to 44.1 kHz (if there is higher value set up for both - recording and playback
2. Downgrade to 16 bit (like above)
3. Incerase buffer size
4. Use 32bit DAW version and 32 bit plug-ins
5. Disconnect Printer and other unnecessary USB devices
6. Disconnect internet connection and close all programs You won't use at the moment (even Antivirus software!)

I had problems like yours with different usb interfaces...a lot of them. Usually some points from above do help. Unfortunately thee is no guarantee. If what you own is not a laptop, make yourself a gift and buy firewire interface. Those can have incredible performance even on a low cpeed speed CPU machines.

+Quote Post
Mertay
May 25 2015, 06:28 PM
It sounds like buffer related noise so I second Bogdan's advice, by deleting the focusrite's drivers and installing asio4all to see what happens.

Also check if the motherboards soundcard has any "active" programs installed. If yes you can delete them and windows will automatically only install the needed driver for the motherboards soundcard so there shouldn't be a problem.

This post has been edited by Mertay: May 25 2015, 06:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ChocolateThunda
May 25 2015, 08:08 PM
Firstly, you guys rock!

I re-installed all my audio drivers, installed the Scarlett drivers, installed new version of Reaper, and I was able to get some sound!

Could I trouble you to take a look at this? This is the issue I'm now having...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODqAjAms5iY

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
May 25 2015, 10:18 PM
QUOTE (ChocolateThunda @ May 25 2015, 03:08 PM) *
Firstly, you guys rock!

I re-installed all my audio drivers, installed the Scarlett drivers, installed new version of Reaper, and I was able to get some sound!

My interface settings on my Scarlet 6i6 are:
Sample Rate: 44.1kHz (I have these all of these are set the same, in reaper, interface, and PC.)
Sync Source: Internal.
Sync Status: Locked (I can't change this.)
USB Driver: Connected (Guessing this is stating that it is connected and reading.)

Under this is settings which is the buffer, I have mine set to 5.0 ms.

Hopefully this helps get this cleared up. You can always try and set the buffer a bit higher and if it works slowly lower it.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 25 2015, 10:52 PM
Did you see my questions about your USB? Anything other than your scarlett plugged in to the port? If so plug ONLY the scarlett in to it's own port, NOT a usb hub.

Then try raising the samples a bit more and REBOOT. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (ChocolateThunda @ May 25 2015, 03:08 PM) *
Firstly, you guys rock!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 25 2015, 11:05 PM
QUOTE (ChocolateThunda @ May 25 2015, 09:08 PM) *
Firstly, you guys rock!

Great to hear you are on your way to solving this! smile.gif

When you finish recording, try raising the buffer settings. The more buffer you have the more latency when playing "live" will be but at the same time the computer gets more time to properly process the signal and get higher quality sound back to you (processed with all the effects etc) and since this latency is not a problem when mixing you could do it like that.

I'm curious, if you would "render" the recording you have in the video above to .wav - does it sound normal when you play it back on your computer (using VLC player or any windows media player).

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:04 AM