Same question, Writing my own songs
BM
Feb 27 2007, 12:37 AM
GMC:er
I just formed a band. Basically, this is the same question as last time but I would really love an answer from anybody. What Scales, or anything else, do I use to write style of Jimi Hendrix? That is my genre of sound and type of song

thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Baptized in a firefight. Hot blood running cold as ice. 44 minutes of target practice. All hell's breaking loose.
Outgunned. Watching the force come to a firefight with a pocket knife.
Getting schooled until they shot Achilles' heel and brought down the beast."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Feb 27 2007, 12:46 AM
QUOTE (BM @ Feb 26 2007, 06:37 PM) *
I just formed a band. Basically, this is the same question as last time but I would really love an answer from anybody. What Scales, or anything else, do I use to write style of Jimi Hendrix? That is my genre of sound and type of song

thanks

In short, Jimi was a blues guitarist. Songs like "Hey Joe" are played with chord progressions that don't really fall into a particular key, If I remember in that particular song it's mostly in the E major and Minor pentatonic scales. (but not strictly of course).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
BM
Feb 27 2007, 01:50 AM
QUOTE (brainlesswonder @ Feb 27 2007, 12:46 AM) *
In short, Jimi was a blues guitarist. Songs like "Hey Joe" are played with chord progressions that don't really fall into a particular key, If I remember in that particular song it's mostly in the E major and Minor pentatonic scales. (but not strictly of course).

So does that mean that if I find blues scales I can play the same type of sound when it comes to solos? I will be in the same key?
And also, what chords, if you know, are most associated with blues?

--------------------
"Baptized in a firefight. Hot blood running cold as ice. 44 minutes of target practice. All hell's breaking loose.
Outgunned. Watching the force come to a firefight with a pocket knife.
Getting schooled until they shot Achilles' heel and brought down the beast."

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Feb 27 2007, 02:10 AM
QUOTE (BM @ Feb 26 2007, 07:50 PM) *
So does that mean that if I find blues scales I can play the same type of sound when it comes to solos? I will be in the same key?
And also, what chords, if you know, are most associated with blues?

Oddly enough, I just noticed that Hey Joe is over on the freelicks site. I'd suggest learning that one all the way through to get familiar with the way Hendrix addressed chord shapes and such.

to practice here's a good look at the blues scales in various positions.

http://www.teachguitar.com/content/tmbluesscales.htm

keep in mind that Jimmy mixed major and minor scales and the stray note here or there.

+Quote Post
Ibanez_player
Feb 27 2007, 03:28 AM
Whats cool about Hey Joe is that it the chord progression follows the circle of 5ths. It goes C G D A E which are the first 5 keys in the circle of 5ths.

Hendrix used the 7#9 chord a lot too. That is the main chord in Foxy Lady and Purple Haze. For soloing he used the major and minor pentatonics most of the time.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 28 2007, 09:26 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Ibanez_player @ Feb 26 2007, 09:28 PM) *
Whats cool about Hey Joe is that it the chord progression follows the circle of 5ths. It goes C G D A E which are the first 5 keys in the circle of 5ths.

Hendrix used the 7#9 chord a lot too. That is the main chord in Foxy Lady and Purple Haze. For soloing he used the major and minor pentatonics most of the time.

Yeah, that 7#9 chord is one of my absolute faves - well off the beaten track. David Gilmour uses it to great effect in Shine on You Crazy Diamond, and it's in a couple of my songs too smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 3 2007, 09:58 AM
GMC Founder
To write Hendrix-alike stuff I would suggest the following:

1 - Learn all the tunes you like by him

2 - Parallelly to this make sure you know the major scale over the whole neck - this way you will recognise the chord shapes which he uses a lot.

3 - Start sliding around simple two-notes shapes in the the major scale - and combine this with pentatonic licks and you will be well on your way.

Note: These steps - depending on how much you practcie can take anything from a couple of months to a couple of years!

Good luck! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:44 PM