2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Generic Djent Apocolypse
Todd Simpson
Jan 8 2015, 05:49 PM
GMC:er
Soooooo many bands seem to think they are BORN OF OSIRIS or some other lame copy of another lame Metalcore band that It's all started running together. Usually this means that a given "genre" has jumped the shark and is ready to finally change. Hopefully soon.

Ran in to this today and was struck by how it sounded like nearly every band I've heard lately. I'm going to stop taking recomendations from sevenstring.org smile.gif Sadly, many of the folks there seem to have the same poor taste in music.

Anybody got something good?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 8 2015, 05:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
I quite like Wide Eyes, though I guess every djent band sounds like one another these days, but here you go:

Then there's Destiny Potato, who I guess sounds a little different:

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 9 2015, 01:37 AM
Thanks for the tips!! I honestly think your recent music sounds much better written and played than the first band though. Your sense of Melody and Timing is simply a bit superior to what they seem to be doing. Maybe you could PM them and offer to help out with their sound? smile.gif

I like the second band due to the elements that I don't often hear in DJENT. The clean female vocals, the odd instrumentaion, the non distorted break downs, spiff. Actually pushing the envelope which is VERY tough in a genre that is sooooooooo prescriped that it can't change much. This group shows that in fact, it can wink.gif Fine pull!!

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 8 2015, 12:57 PM) *
I quite like Wide Eyes, though I guess every djent band sounds like one another these days, but here you go:

Then there's Destiny Potato, who I guess sounds a little different:

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jan 10 2015, 08:50 PM
Ha! I'm one of those sevenstring.org drones with the same 00-000-0001000 music!

But here is one of my newest finds that I have been enjoying. Screaming lyrics but the music is pretty catchy. Has breakdowns and such but in a different more musical way if you ask me.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 11 2015, 09:33 AM
I hear ya!! smile.gif Not a band band! I have had just heard soooooo much of this sort of thing that it's finally starting to wear a bit thin for me. I like it when bands sneak in some semi hidden melodic structure or throw in odd bits like a reggae breakdown or strange instrumentation and such. Just for a surprise smile.gif

QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jan 10 2015, 03:50 PM) *
Ha! I'm one of those sevenstring.org drones with the same 00-000-0001000 music!

But here is one of my newest finds that I have been enjoying. Screaming lyrics but the music is pretty catchy. Has breakdowns and such but in a different more musical way if you ask me.

+Quote Post
Sunny
Jan 12 2015, 10:26 AM
Hi! Thumbs up for Wide Eyes! They are one of my favourite bands too. smile.gif

I listen a lot to metalcore and like you, Todd, I like to hear something different as many bands do sound the same. I don't know about my taste but judge for yourself. tongue.gif

IMHO the best album of 2014, Verse Vica with their debut album Endeavor:

Right next to it if not beside it as the best in 2014, Numbers and their album Three:

Then of course I have to name the great Between the Buried and Me and let's see.. I choose The Great Misdirect:

Of course you can't go wrong with any BTBAM album, then there are bands like Intervals, Ne Obliviscaris, Soul Cycle, Orion.. or jazz-metal bands like Trioscapes, Outrun the Sunlight, CHON..

I follow heavyblogisheavy.com for years now and they do come up occasionally with some really good stuff, so I can recommend it.

Cheers,
Sunny

--------------------
Alhambra 3C, Ibanez S470, Boss ME-50, KORG MA-30, Marshall MG15CDR, MacBook Pro

Practice Journal

+Quote Post
StaceyD
Jan 12 2015, 09:59 PM
Well Numbers sound marvellous!

I was going to write a whole spiel about how I agree how dreadful a lot of these new bands are (not the ones listed in the thread) but I think everyone's growing quite tired of it really so will leave it there.... biggrin.gif

A couple of bands I've been listening to the last few months are:
Disperse:

Pomegranate Tiger

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 13 2015, 07:40 AM
THanks for all the suggestions guys/gal! smile.gif I gotta say I'm diggin the two bands STACEY D put up most of all so far. I like bits and snips of Metal Core smile.gif But too much off it, can start to run together in my ear drums. Then again, folks used to say that to me when I was listening to wads of Death Metal smile.gif The things that initially draw us to music, can sometimes become the very things that we get tired of over time which is ironic smile.gif

I like being suprised more and more these days by hearing unexpected twists/turns and things that sound "new" to my ears. Almost like watching wads of movies, it takes something pretty special to wake up my ears these days. Egad I'm becoming jaded! The good news is that music is ever evolving smile.gif

Speaking of, check these guys out smile.gif MANDROID ECHOSTAR. Bit heavy, bit bizarre in spots, I"m digging em smile.gif

QUOTE (StaceyD @ Jan 12 2015, 04:59 PM) *
Well Numbers sound marvellous!

I was going to write a whole spiel about how I agree how dreadful a lot of these new bands are (not the ones listed in the thread) but I think everyone's growing quite tired of it really so will leave it there.... biggrin.gif

A couple of bands I've been listening to the last few months are:
Disperse:

Pomegranate Tiger

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jan 16 2015, 12:27 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 12 2015, 10:40 PM) *

This may be a huge leap for you, but I have to say this album has found a place in my heart because it is so dynamic on so many differen levels. It's basically pop punk - difference being, it is well done.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 16 2015, 06:22 AM
Good band smile.gif Some of the best "Post Hardcore" I've heard. The vocals lean a bit clean "core" for my taste but it's all well done and well played!

Anyone else with a share?

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jan 15 2015, 07:27 PM) *
This may be a huge leap for you, but I have to say this album has found a place in my heart because it is so dynamic on so many differen levels. It's basically pop punk - difference being, it is well done.

+Quote Post
Sunny
Jan 16 2015, 12:50 PM
Mandroid Echostar, yes, a good one. I liked that one too, have it bookmarked somewhere.

So I'm digging through my library of bookmarks tongue.gif searching for more djenty stuff. I got sh*tload of that, let me post a few.

I dig this album more and more as they release new stuff. Hated it at first.

I like this song but their whole album sounds the same to me.

This one is cool, a bit BTBAMish at some points with a smudge of PtH, very dynamic and diverse.

Can't say what makes this one stand out, but it is quite good imho.

There is something about these guys, they are so.. cosy smile.gif and hilarious.

Combined with industrial. :9

And electronic. :9'

Something brutal to end the list. I love this whole album. Really! ^^

This post has been edited by Sunny: Jan 16 2015, 12:55 PM

--------------------

Practice Journal

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jan 16 2015, 01:07 PM
I think this is my most listened to band last year.

QUOTE (Sunny @ Jan 16 2015, 06:50 AM) *
Mandroid Echostar, yes, a good one. I liked that one too, have it bookmarked somewhere.

So I'm digging through my library of bookmarks tongue.gif searching for more djenty stuff. I got sh*tload of that, let me post a few.

Something brutal to end the list. I love this whole album. Really! ^^

Since I'm posting here why not add some more music. I would really love to get an album of this. Not sure how to go about it, let alone do they have one.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
waynedcoville
Jan 16 2015, 03:13 PM
generic for sure. they're all copies of imitations. they are technically proficient but boring.

try this...

--------------------
Carvin 6 string bass (walnut neck and body w/burl maple top)
Carvin 5 string AE fretless bass(mahogany neck and body w/ quilt maple top)
Dean 8 string bass
Danelectro BassVI
Washburn 5 string acoustic bass
Hartke HA3500 w/ 4-10x1-15
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Zoom B9.1ut / Crybaby
Monster cables

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2015, 07:08 AM
That japanese band is a HOOT!! smile.gif I almost thought they were mocking DjentCore at first but nope! It's a pretty original take on it to be sure smile.gif Some really cool shares so far!
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jan 16 2015, 08:07 AM) *
I think this is my most listened to band last year.

Since I'm posting here why not add some more music. I would really love to get an album of this. Not sure how to go about it, let alone do they have one.

Thanks for the shares! Several had a very BORN OF OSIRIS vibe me thinks. It seems so many bands these days want to be B.O.O. Wads of them on SUMMERIAN records for sure smile.gif For quite a while it seemed wads of bands wanted to be MESHUGGAH, including PERIPHERY for a while. But these days PERIPHERY are my current fave for DJENTY bits smile.gif They have a very creative approach to Metal in general and embrace melody in an interesting way without relying to heavily on the Born of Osiris Keyboard bits that are starting to show up everywhere.

QUOTE (Sunny @ Jan 16 2015, 07:50 AM) *

Sounds a bit like a modern Black Sabbath in spots? Another good share smile.gif
QUOTE (waynedcoville @ Jan 16 2015, 10:13 AM) *
generic for sure. they're all copies of imitations. they are technically proficient but boring.

try this...

After listening to more bits and tunes on youtube I found myself back yet again on the AT THE GATES Videos smile.gif You can really hear the influence of so many of the important bands in Metal all the way through the material current today.

+Quote Post
Sunny
Mar 7 2015, 10:19 AM
Another good one if anyone cares. ^^

--------------------

Practice Journal

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 7 2015, 04:28 PM
Instructor
Is it just me or you also feel that many Djent bands seem to be playing the same riff over and over.... blink.gif

PS: There is some fresh stuff on this posts by the way. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Drag0nz&meTaL
Mar 9 2015, 02:37 PM
Learning Rock Star
here todd, i think you would like these guys, one of my all time favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VJFXA65v0...b-wgCNoknzT3Bqk

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Mar 9 2015, 03:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
I know it's probably not really unique in many ways, but I like this anyway:

https://emergencemusicproject.bandcamp.com/releases

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 10 2015, 03:27 AM
I like the harmony bits and how they doing go to djenty smile.gif Also the labrynth clips are a nice touch smile.gif Almost has an early Thrash Vibe in parts then sorta Helloweenish which can't hurt smile.gif

Some great alternatives to the djent apocolypse guys!

QUOTE (Drag0nz&meTaL @ Mar 9 2015, 09:37 AM) *
here todd, i think you would like these guys, one of my all time favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1VJFXA65v0...b-wgCNoknzT3Bqk

Really liked the intro track. Very BIG and epic sounding. It's very well produced. I'm suprised they are not signed by Summerian records or something?

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Mar 9 2015, 10:44 AM) *
I know it's probably not really unique in many ways, but I like this anyway:

https://emergencemusicproject.bandcamp.com/releases

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 12 2015, 05:37 AM
What do you guys think about this band? They are a local ATLANTA band called LAZER WULF (The name is meant to be sorta funny). They recorded a session @ indieatl.com and I was shooting pix that night. Here is something more recent and a few pix from the indieatl gig smile.gif

https://soundcloud.com/noisey/lazerwulf-beast-reality-center-piece

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 10:06 AM