Earnings Of Some Bands
Mertay
Feb 27 2015, 09:38 AM
GMC:er
Not common that such numbers are revealed;

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/genera...00_a_month.html

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/genera...cent_shows.html

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 27 2015, 04:19 PM
In Devon's case he makes what the average 'working' musician (in the states and canada) makes. Some make more, some make less. Basically an average wage for a skilled worker in first world country. For most musicians (even one's that record and tour) that's the way it's always been. To make those 'millions' - you have to be (and have always had to be) a Taylor Swift type.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 27 2015, 04:21 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 28 2015, 01:04 AM
Kind of sad for Devin, he's never been super famous as far as I know but has been around active for such a long time and very respected.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 28 2015, 01:40 AM
Why is that sad? He makes a decent salary. Is he married? Maybe his wife works too?
He gets to make a living playing guitar i.e., doing what he loves! Money ain't everything.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 28 2015, 11:37 PM
Sadly for anyone in "Metal" 60k a year is pretty good scratch smile.gif Sure, sure, sure, there are the .01 percent of bands that get mega rich that used to play heavy stuff (ahem, Metallica)but most folks you may think of as being "big" in Metal actually keep day jobs most of the year and take time off in the summer to tour.

It's possible to make a living at it, but as with Devin, it's typically a long slog. He's been doing this for decades. Also sadly, folks dig his "early stuff" much more than his current stuff in terms of sales, so his royalty world is sorta backwards. But such is life smile.gif

He even went to L.A. and wrote a song with the production team behind NICKLEBACK! (cough) but was so disgusted with himself and the tune that he refuses to release it. We forgive you Devin. When it came time to man up or sell out, you did a gut check and earned our respect. Well played sir. Well played. Here is the article.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/genera...disgusting.html

QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 27 2015, 04:38 AM) *

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 1 2015, 12:06 AM
WOW! Cool I never knew about this...

As for the money he earns, I find it sad cause being financially stronger is always an advantage with music since there is no time frame something must be released to keep things flowing.

I think this is a known thing, 2. album (or later) syndrome. Band has all the time for the first and is successful gets a kick start but the 2. album must be released on X date...same as the following albums. This might have its advantages but I believe also a reason some albums can be really bad or just not good enough for the expectation.

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 1 2015, 12:29 AM
You have your whole life to write your first record ... and about 6 months to write your second one.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 1 2015, 01:46 AM
So I mention devin here, and youtube suggests this video I watched sometime ago;

My computer is sooo legally hacked smile.gif nice song though biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Mertay: Mar 1 2015, 01:48 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Mar 1 2015, 06:07 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 28 2015, 02:37 PM) *
Sadly for anyone in "Metal" 60k a year is pretty good scratch smile.gif Sure, sure, sure, there are the .01 percent of bands that get mega rich

It's possible to make a living at it, but as with Devin, it's typically a long slog. He's been doing this for decades.

+1 on that.

60k for working 'artists in general' (I'm not talking about the superstars) is normal and the majority are more than thrilled to make that! Because for every artist out there actually making a living wage doing art, there are a thousand who wish they were able to.
Average popularity and notoriety may get you a couple of free guitars and a million YT views but it doesn't pay the bills. Work for hire does.

Like jazz, metal is a tiny market (loyal but small). 60K a year, especially if you can maintain that for 10 or more years, is actually really good.

*No matter what you do, if you actually dig your job ... you're a lucky motherfcuker!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Mar 1 2015, 06:11 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 3 2015, 05:58 AM
Very well said!!! smile.gif I"ve done all kinds of work and like everyone, I've done jobs that were just awful and some that were really fun. THe fun ones were always about music or movies it seems smile.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Mar 1 2015, 01:07 PM) *
+1 on that.

60k for working 'artists in general' (I'm not talking about the superstars) is normal and the majority are more than thrilled to make that! Because for every artist out there actually making a living wage doing art, there are a thousand who wish they were able to.
Average popularity and notoriety may get you a couple of free guitars and a million YT views but it doesn't pay the bills. Work for hire does.

Like jazz, metal is a tiny market (loyal but small). 60K a year, especially if you can maintain that for 10 or more years, is actually really good.

*No matter what you do, if you actually dig your job ... you're a lucky motherfcuker!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 08:38 AM