Coffeeman/big Harry Mtp Thread
coffeeman
Jan 27 2009, 05:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Harry ,

whats up my friend?

How's practicing going ?

what time schedule do we have ?
We are on week 4 , so we are on schedule.

how long is the mtp running ?

One more week if Im not wrong

i guess we still need to make a practice routine right ?

Of course we have to , but I really want to finish with our MTP assigments

how are you by the way ?

Im ok , missining my girlfriend , but with a lot of time to play guitar so thats great.

So Harry how is that thirds alternate picking excercise going? I really want you to nail that lesson , and after that I want you to record week 3 assigments using alternate picking strictly.

I listened to your take on Pedjas collab , and I would like to comment about, although Pedja will give us of course a better understanding of it.

Really nice tone I liked it a lot. You used some interesting ideas in the first 4 bars , and when you switch to Cm I guess you got a little confused and didn't know where to go, it sounded like a couplem of notes on the scale , you chould have stayed on the same rytmic mood as the first 4 bars or you should give some space to the melody. You have a great vibrato I really liked that about your playing , use it more. I liked very much how you resolved the solo , on the G chord and then to the A minor again, it would be great if you used the G#dim7 arpeggio , but as I said you did an awesome work resolving the solo.

Harry you can play very well , you have very nice rythmic ideas, I guess you just have to improve your techinque a little more and you'll be flying like the pros.

Thats it for now, looking forward to watch that alternate picking video.

Have a nice day my friend.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
big harry
Jan 27 2009, 10:01 PM
Learning Roadie - CHALLENGE STAR!
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Jan 27 2009, 05:50 PM) *
Hi Harry ,

whats up my friend?

How's practicing going ?

what time schedule do we have ?
We are on week 4 , so we are on schedule.

how long is the mtp running ?

One more week if Im not wrong

i guess we still need to make a practice routine right ?

Of course we have to , but I really want to finish with our MTP assigments

how are you by the way ?

Im ok , missining my girlfriend , but with a lot of time to play guitar so thats great.

So Harry how is that thirds alternate picking excercise going? I really want you to nail that lesson , and after that I want you to record week 3 assigments using alternate picking strictly.

I listened to your take on Pedjas collab , and I would like to comment about, although Pedja will give us of course a better understanding of it.

Really nice tone I liked it a lot. You used some interesting ideas in the first 4 bars , and when you switch to Cm I guess you got a little confused and didn't know where to go, it sounded like a couplem of notes on the scale , you chould have stayed on the same rytmic mood as the first 4 bars or you should give some space to the melody. You have a great vibrato I really liked that about your playing , use it more. I liked very much how you resolved the solo , on the G chord and then to the A minor again, it would be great if you used the G#dim7 arpeggio , but as I said you did an awesome work resolving the solo.

Harry you can play very well , you have very nice rythmic ideas, I guess you just have to improve your techinque a little more and you'll be flying like the pros.

Thats it for now, looking forward to watch that alternate picking video.

Have a nice day my friend.

First of all hi Andru

practicing is not bad but not the succes that i wanted to have
still have problems with the alternate picking, you will see in the vid biggrin.gif

one more week we have to go ?
i told you i will be out from saturday the 31st of january till wednesday the 4th of february, so i wont be able to practice at this time, so i guess MTP is over for me on friday ohmy.gif

according the thirds i always come back to economy picking thats why i made such "big" moves with the picking hand to keep in the movement of up and down, whenever i make short and small moves i attend to come back to the smoother way you called it rolleyes.gif

in the clip i have done the first 2 scales with all patterns at 55bpm
in the ascending move of the 2nd scale i have a short break of alternate but quickly come back to it, but the run is more or less away so i stopped at the end of the 4th pattern because i couldnt start with a downstroke on the next scale and so i would have been wrong with the picking

the first 3 scales and patterns are not so the big problem only with that DAMN alternate picking brings me out
the main problem i have right now is the last pattern which dont want to go in my mind at the high b and e string

so i will have to practice this thing for a bit longer i guess cool.gif

according the fusion collab, i guess thats what Pedja already meant, and after listening and listening and listening again i think you and Pedja are right, this is more or less just a few notes played in row without any feeling or whatever
could be much better but i guess for the first try it is not soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad
in fact that i dont have the different scales and modes in my mind (and i guess i will not have in the next future laugh.gif ) its pretty difficult for me to switch easily between them and technique is also a factor you are right
according your phrase about flying, YES i guess i can fly DOWN THE STAIRS .... laugh.gif

i hope Pedja will leave some on my head in his comments unsure.gif
(hope that Pedja dont read this !?!?!?!?)

hope your girlfriend is doing well here in europe and she is ok

cya my OLD rocker *hehehe*
Harry

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jan 27 2009, 10:57 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
You made laugh Harry , I love that you take your practicng with good attitude and good humour.

You're still struggling with the alternate picking and I want that strugle to stop, I want you and the alternate picking to be best friends. So I want you to practice the following excercises every day as a warm up, before anything.

So here they go , play them slowly we're not looking to get speed we're looking fo syncronization.

hands-synchronisation1
hands-synchronisation2

Relax your picking arm , you're fighting with your arm and your hand, you have a good posture , but the right hand it's to tight.

Before playing make relax movements with your right hand , like it is loose.

Ok , try those excercises and tell me what you think.

I'm looking forward to pedjas comments too, let's see what happends and please don't fly down the stairs.

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jan 29 2009, 06:09 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Harry,

Whats up? How is practice going?

Did you learnt hands sync excercises?

How is the alternate picking thirds lesson going?

Cheers.

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
big harry
Jan 29 2009, 07:18 PM
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Jan 29 2009, 06:09 PM) *
Hey Harry,

Whats up? How is practice going?

Did you learnt hands sync excercises?

How is the alternate picking thirds lesson going?

Cheers.

Hi Andru

had a bit work last days and came home pretty late but i was playing every day, BUT......

to be honest this exercise (alternate thirds) seems to be one of the milestones which i will have to reach
still strugling on this because the movement of the fingers is going the other way as it should
its wierd because down everthings ok but on the change of direction there is the big point
i always falls back to the economy thing
its wierd because if you ascending and you MUST pick from the other side (downstroke) its against the movement of the hand and this seems to cause me real problems

yeah i started with the sync exercise but its almost the same problem here, a bit frustrating cause it seems not to want in my mind *hehehe*
i have done this exercise a few times before but i stopped because it was MUCH to easy *HAHAHAHA*
to see it with different eyes can make things way to hard to learn..........

i will get this damn alternate picking in my head, but it will take time, i dont want to rush so i will need some more time (thinking of 10 more years or sthg like that tongue.gif )
no just kidding i will get in 20 for sure *hehehe*

i am not sure if i can do a better video than the last one but i promise that i will try today or at least tomorrow to give you an visualisation of how tough this one is for me

AND singing the exercise doesnt help at the moment because i get headache from me singing while playing laugh.gif

i will do some work now on that and leave you a msg later on ok ?

cya then
Harry

+Quote Post
big harry
Jan 29 2009, 09:45 PM
hey my friend

here is some hands synchronisation for you

what do you think about it ?

and some alternate thirds, scale 1

This post has been edited by big harry: Jan 29 2009, 09:50 PM

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jan 29 2009, 10:04 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (big harry @ Jan 29 2009, 03:45 PM) *
hey my friend

here is some hands synchronisation for you

what do you think about it ?

and some alternate thirds, scale 1

Very nice work , you're getting there it aint going to take 10 years , maybe just 9....joking.

Very nice , I can't hear the metronome , are u using it ? You made a few mistakes, I would like to hear a take with a metronome and with a slower tempo. Sart with a very slow tempo , when you'll be able to play with no mistakes move 4 or 5 bpms up. The trick is to learn the excercises in the right way it doesn't matter how slow you're playing, but if you play the ex at 100 bpm , and you play them wrong every time your brain would not understand which is the right way to play it, and in that case it will take you a lot of time to play it right. So go to a lower tempo , you'll almost there.

Great work as always.

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
big harry
Jan 29 2009, 10:21 PM
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Jan 29 2009, 10:04 PM) *
Very nice work , you're getting there it aint going to take 10 years , maybe just 9....joking.

Very nice , I can't hear the metronome , are u using it ? You made a few mistakes, I would like to hear a take with a metronome and with a slower tempo. Sart with a very slow tempo , when you'll be able to play with no mistakes move 4 or 5 bpms up. The trick is to learn the excercises in the right way it doesn't matter how slow you're playing, but if you play the ex at 100 bpm , and you play them wrong every time your brain would not understand which is the right way to play it, and in that case it will take you a lot of time to play it right. So go to a lower tempo , you'll almost there.

Great work as always.

oh i didnt see your reply so i did scale 2 and 3 also

ok i will slow down a bit but now i really think that i am getting nearer and nearer
seems you are right, ONLY 9 years to go *hehehe*
i put the vids on otherwise my work would be for nothing the last 3 hours*hehehe*
i guess the reply will be the same as for the other vids

nevertheless STEP BY STEP

here you are man

i am on to bed now my friend hoping for your reply as always
cya tomorrow man
Harry

This post has been edited by big harry: Jan 29 2009, 10:23 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Video_100.wmv ( 1.97MB ) Number of downloads: 96
Attached File  Video_102.wmv ( 1.9MB ) Number of downloads: 87

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jan 29 2009, 10:44 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (big harry @ Jan 29 2009, 04:21 PM) *
oh i didnt see your reply so i did scale 2 and 3 also

ok i will slow down a bit but now i really think that i am getting nearer and nearer
seems you are right, ONLY 9 years to go *hehehe*
i put the vids on otherwise my work would be for nothing the last 3 hours*hehehe*
i guess the reply will be the same as for the other vids

nevertheless STEP BY STEP

here you are man

i am on to bed now my friend hoping for your reply as always
cya tomorrow man
Harry

Yes same comments as before, sometimes you're reapeting and upstroke and that's what changes the picking pattern. I would like to add that your hand position is great , good work on that one. I'm pretty sure that if you slow down a little bit you'll get better note definition, the low notes are not sounding very good, and the alternate picking will come nice and effortlessly.

Keep the good work my friend, you're getting better every day.

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
big harry
Jan 30 2009, 10:26 AM
Hey Andru

thx for your comments, they keep on pushing me forward biggrin.gif

i will try to set a session today in the evening, but i am nor sure at the moment if i get the time.
as you know i will be out for skiing from tomorrow morning until wednesday next week (4th feb.)

i will try to get on later on and maybe post a new video for you

i will make it at slower tempo, maybe with 50 or sthg like that, lets have a look
i will make it with the clean sound so we can hear where the problems are *hehehe*
i still need to fix scale 4 but i will try to make a complete vid if i can handle it *hehehe*

cya then
Harry

+Quote Post
big harry
Jan 30 2009, 08:47 PM
Hey Andru

I am sorry but i couldnt do a vid today because i just had some minutes for practice
had to much to prepare for my holiday (only had 30 mins for practice today)

so i will do the vid on thursday next week when i will be back from holiday
i wish you a nice time so far and hope you enjoy the time without me laugh.gif

i am not sure when exactly this MTP ends (still hoping that we can go on wink.gif )but in any way i will do the video for you, even if i need to send it via mail to you smile.gif

i will for sure continue my routine with

- chords
- hands sync
- scales
- ALTERNATE PICKING

this i will do for some while

if there are any other suggestions from you, PLEASE let me know or feel free to tell me what you think

i will be back on thursday the 5th feb (maybe on 4th evening)
so have a nice time and hope to see you again

cya
Harry

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Jan 31 2009, 06:07 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hi Harry,

So it's been very interesting weeks , I've had a lot of fun , and I must say I have learnt a lot and I hope you did too. 4 weeks is a very short time to become a master , but I'm sure that during these 4 weeks we have discover new things that will lead you in a new direction from now on on your practice routine.

Let's sum up:

Assigment # 1

Rhythm & Timing

Very good sense for rhythm, you have no troubles at all with timing. The isue here was that you strugle changing from one chord position to another. You said you liked a lot bands like Ac/DC , well they use a lot of open string chords, you can learn a couple of songs from then that could be a fun practice. Although you have a very nice hand position sometimes you get confused with your thumb, but in the last week you were doing a great job with it.

Assigment #2

Rhythm & Timing

You learnt theses lessons very well , and as I said timing is not an isue for you, so you have to really take this as an advantage, always start practicing the lessons at a very slow tempo , a tempo were you can play effortellsly , and the move up to higher speeds. I don't know how much are you into rhythm guitar , but if you just correct a few things about changing chords you'll be a master in no time. Remember to keep these kind of lessons in your practice routine, rhythm helps a lot when it comes to soloing.

Assigment #3

Soloing

You learnt the solos very well. But here is when our alternate picking problems come. I really want you to practice with the tone you want to achive in your playing , when practicing soloing lessons. Is like you are in a concert you don't play with a raw tone, you play with YOUR tone. You learned the lessons very , well , go for other solos , but remember to keep a very strong alternate picking tecnique, unless it's a legatto or sweeping lesson.

Assigment # 4

Alternate picking

This was our hardest assigment, and I'm glad it happend that way. Sometimes other people has to show us what we are doing right or wrong. I repeat again , timing isn't an issue for you , so speed will come easly , the thing is to have a propper technique. Keep working on those excerices very slowly until you nail them , then increase the speed a little more.

It's been a really pleasure working with you Harry I hope we can keep working , I have to say that I have learned a lot in theses four weeks.

So have a nice trip and see you in one week.

Cheers.

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
big harry
Feb 4 2009, 09:01 PM
QUOTE (coffeeman @ Jan 31 2009, 06:07 AM) *
Hi Harry,

So it's been very interesting weeks , I've had a lot of fun , and I must say I have learnt a lot and I hope you did too. 4 weeks is a very short time to become a master , but I'm sure that during these 4 weeks we have discover new things that will lead you in a new direction from now on on your practice routine.

Let's sum up:

Assigment # 1

Rhythm & Timing

Very good sense for rhythm, you have no troubles at all with timing. The isue here was that you strugle changing from one chord position to another. You said you liked a lot bands like Ac/DC , well they use a lot of open string chords, you can learn a couple of songs from then that could be a fun practice. Although you have a very nice hand position sometimes you get confused with your thumb, but in the last week you were doing a great job with it.

Assigment #2

Rhythm & Timing

You learnt theses lessons very well , and as I said timing is not an isue for you, so you have to really take this as an advantage, always start practicing the lessons at a very slow tempo , a tempo were you can play effortellsly , and the move up to higher speeds. I don't know how much are you into rhythm guitar , but if you just correct a few things about changing chords you'll be a master in no time. Remember to keep these kind of lessons in your practice routine, rhythm helps a lot when it comes to soloing.

Assigment #3

Soloing

You learnt the solos very well. But here is when our alternate picking problems come. I really want you to practice with the tone you want to achive in your playing , when practicing soloing lessons. Is like you are in a concert you don't play with a raw tone, you play with YOUR tone. You learned the lessons very , well , go for other solos , but remember to keep a very strong alternate picking tecnique, unless it's a legatto or sweeping lesson.

Assigment # 4

Alternate picking

This was our hardest assigment, and I'm glad it happend that way. Sometimes other people has to show us what we are doing right or wrong. I repeat again , timing isn't an issue for you , so speed will come easly , the thing is to have a propper technique. Keep working on those excerices very slowly until you nail them , then increase the speed a little more.

It's been a really pleasure working with you Harry I hope we can keep working , I have to say that I have learned a lot in theses four weeks.

So have a nice trip and see you in one week.

Cheers.

Hey my friend

i am back from skiing, all bones still on me tongue.gif so i am ready to continue
i will pick up work on alternate picking tomorrow

AND MANY THX FOR YOUR WORDS

i am not sure what you think about it but i just have to insert one more thing to this stuff you have written
i found a new friend, ok he´s on the other side of the globe but thats no problem for me

will come back more detailed tomorrow my friend

cya
Harry

+Quote Post
big harry
Feb 5 2009, 03:35 PM
Hey Andru

I will leave you a vid of alternate picking tonight

i would be glad if we could move this thing on, i like beeing mentored by you *hehehe*

maybe you too ? wink.gif

cya
Harry

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Feb 5 2009, 04:01 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (big harry @ Feb 5 2009, 09:35 AM) *
Hey Andru

I will leave you a vid of alternate picking tonight

i would be glad if we could move this thing on, i like beeing mentored by you *hehehe*

maybe you too ? wink.gif

cya
Harry

Hey Harry,

Im very glad that you came back. I would like to see some pictures of your skiing skills.....

I like mentoring you my friend. Let's move on.

Cheers.

--------------------

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
big harry
Feb 6 2009, 09:58 AM
Hey Andru

sorry that i didnt post a vid yesterday but i had problems with the net
pictures from me skiing ? will be tough cause i was the only one who took pix *hehehe*
i will have a look if i find some, i guess my wife took 2 or 3 of me

but more important here is the first "alternate picking thirds" as a full version at the speed of 50 bpm
i was really tough to get this done after 4 days without practice *hehehe*
took me 2 hours to get it
but i got it
lets have a look

btw sorry for you that you didnt get the Muris competition

waiting for your comments
cya
Harry

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Alternate_picking_50bpm.wmv ( 7.12MB ) Number of downloads: 118

+Quote Post
big harry
Feb 6 2009, 12:59 PM
hey my friend

here is a take from today with distortion at 50 bpm
wanted to take it with backing but i need to synchronisize it first
will take some time

hope you like it

cya
Harry

Attached File(s)
Attached File  alternate_pivking.MP3 ( 1.88MB ) Number of downloads: 178

+Quote Post
big harry
Feb 6 2009, 02:46 PM
and now with backing at 50
1 little mistake inthere but sounds quite good to my ears

just a sound, will try to do it video also

cya
Harry

Attached File(s)
Attached File  alternate_picking_take_2_wbt.MP3 ( 1.87MB ) Number of downloads: 152

+Quote Post
big harry
Feb 6 2009, 06:39 PM
and here is the pic of me on ski´s *hehehe*

+Quote Post
big harry
Feb 6 2009, 08:57 PM
CALL ME MASTER MY FRIEND laugh.gif

here we go at 60 bpm
give me 2 more days and i will at 160 laugh.gif

What do you think ?

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Alternate_picking_60bpm.wmv ( 6.6MB ) Number of downloads: 111

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:20 PM