2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Guitar for heavy riffing, I need a guitar for thick strings and heavy sound
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 20 2007, 04:50 PM
GMC Founder
Heya!

Well since I am kind of weak at gear - I would really need some advice here... smile.gif

The two guitars I have (Strat and Parker) are nice for soloing and tricky playing, but their pickups and the way I have adjusted them + body material (etc.) don't make them ideal for extremely heavy riffing, low tunings etc.

So now I am looking for a guitar to have exclusively for this. Basically the alternatives I see would be a 7-string (I don't want a tremolo for this one).

Also, I have seen some special guitar (I think it was Schecter - but I couldn't find it, so I might be wrong) with five strings designed for extremely thick string-gauge and low tunings - anybody knows which guitar it could be?

I would appreciate any advice here as I really haven't decided what to go for yet.

Kris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 20 2007, 05:28 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 20 2007, 04:50 PM) *
extremely heavy riffing, low tunings etc.

A baritone perhaps? It's made specially for low tuning.
I never looked at baritone myself so I don't know any models but I belive most brands have one. Fender has a Jaguar Baritone and I think I've seen an ESP/LTD (don't know which but shaped as the LP)

EDIT: Couldn't get it out of my head so I had to go to the Esp and look for that guitar. It was a SG shaped Viper I was thinking of, VB-400 6 stringed.
While I was browsing there I found a couple of 7 string baritone called STEF-B7 and SC-607B

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by MickeM: Jan 20 2007, 05:42 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 20 2007, 08:03 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 20 2007, 05:28 PM) *
A baritone perhaps? It's made specially for low tuning.
I never looked at baritone myself so I don't know any models but I belive most brands have one. Fender has a Jaguar Baritone and I think I've seen an ESP/LTD (don't know which but shaped as the LP)

EDIT: Couldn't get it out of my head so I had to go to the Esp and look for that guitar. It was a SG shaped Viper I was thinking of, VB-400 6 stringed.
While I was browsing there I found a couple of 7 string baritone called STEF-B7 and SC-607B

So does anybody know what differs a baritone guitar from a normal one?

Edit: So I have done a little research and understood that a baritone guitar has a longer scale length which allows lower tunings. Has anybody experience from this? How is it compared to a standard seven string guitar?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 21 2007, 10:56 AM
GMC:er
Definitely a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser, Two EMG 707s and a three way pickup switch, Plus 7 strings. It has the advantage of a very flat neck aswell, which makes power chords and drop D riffage a joke.. Perfect for riffs. An Ibanez 7-string would be a good alternative, plus you can get killer leads out and play those arpeggios you always wanted to.

And by the way, I've owned an ESP SC-607B, I didn't find it to be better than a Schecter Hellraiser. Infact I've got heavier riffs from a BC Rich Warlock.

This post has been edited by Why: Jan 21 2007, 10:54 AM

+Quote Post
Mark Schiewe
Jan 21 2007, 11:35 AM
Heavy riffs? Well I guess you can't go wrong with a Dean or a Schecter , there basicly built for that.

Do you have a price range Kris?

This post has been edited by Mark Schiewe: Jan 21 2007, 11:35 AM

--------------------
Just remember, the last name is pronounced she-we

IPB Image My baby :)

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 21 2007, 11:46 AM
Dean's arent that good, I played the 'Award winning' Dean from hell yesterday and it wasn't all that great, specially for riffing.

I think the only way to get very heavy distortion is to go for a Schecter C-7 Hellraiser, or any baritone guitar, install Dimebuckers or Bill Lawrence's into your guitar at bridge/neck position respectively

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
Jan 21 2007, 12:18 PM
Hmm..never heard of the 5-string guitar. I've always liked the sound of all mahogany guitars when it comes to hevy riffing. http://www.gibson.com/Products/GibsonElect...uitars/LesPaul/
Les Pauls and guitars like them are nice, if you don't mind a beefy neck.
http://www.espguitars.com/
I own an ESP bass, and it's well made and tough.

If you like pointies....
http://www.deanguitars.com/electrics.htm
Dean make good quality guitars, and thier imports and pretty cheap. Dean USA guitars have V profile necks, witch people either love or hate.
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php
I like the feel of Jacksons, look cool too.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Matt
Jan 21 2007, 01:15 PM
Take a look around www.espguitars.com, im not sure if you can get every model listed on the site in sweeden but you most probably can.

also www.jacksonguitars.com make some nice guitars but most of them are made from alder and have seymour duncans so they are probably very similar to your parker.

B.C. Rich are suposed to be good but i have no personal experience with th

Personaly highly recomend esp guitars for a great sound, feel and look.

--------------------
"Keep Bleeding On 'Til The Day You Die, Forever Love it Loud" - Black Label Society

+Quote Post
Codyrg
Jan 21 2007, 02:04 PM
I really like my Ibanez RG1570 and I've played a lot of ESP's and they are GREAT! I'm going to be picking up one very soon smile.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 21 2007, 06:52 PM
GMC Founder
Ok so I have checked out the hellraiser C-7 and it seems like it could be something - it also has the longer scale, it appears. Any other suggestions? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jan 21 2007, 07:00 PM
Instructor
Maybe an 8-string would be good thing?? Ibanez has come up with awesome 8-string on this year NAMM and i was thinking about buying that until i saw a Dean RC7.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 21 2007, 07:03 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jan 21 2007, 07:00 PM) *
Maybe an 8-string would be good thing?? Ibanez has come up with awesome 8-string on this year NAMM and i was thinking about buying that until i saw a Dean RC7.

8 string! blink.gif That's scary! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Why
Jan 21 2007, 07:40 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 21 2007, 06:52 PM) *
Ok so I have checked out the hellraiser C-7 and it seems like it could be something - it also has the longer scale, it appears. Any other suggestions? smile.gif

For what you want, I couldn't suggest anything else. It's got everything you've written in your description more or less. So go for the Schecter C-7!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 22 2007, 04:33 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 21 2007, 06:52 PM) *

The Hellraiser seem heavy enough. Personally I think actuve pu's are a pain in the *$$, but that's me rolleyes.gif

If you're not on a budget you could look at Caparison Dellinger 7 - even if you're on a bughet you can always look biggrin.gif Dellinger7
A couple of other swedes got Caprison so you'd be in good company cool.gif

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 22 2007, 04:37 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 22 2007, 04:33 PM) *
The Hellraiser seem heavy enough. Personally I think actuve pu's are a pain in the *$$, but that's me rolleyes.gif

If you're not on a budget you could look at Caparison Dellinger 7 - even if you're on a bughet you can always look biggrin.gif Dellinger7
A couple of other swedes got Caprison so you'd be in good company cool.gif

biggrin.gif

Those are jaw-dropping guitars, however - I don't want a tremolo for this one as it makes switching between different tunings a mess...

--------------------

+Quote Post
n0x
Jan 23 2007, 05:05 AM
Kris if your budget can go high, I would suggest an Ibanez JEM 7-string Universe. My friend has one of those and they just explode.

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Jan 23 2007, 06:21 AM
I second the Hellraiser, (I've not played the 7 string version) but I've played the C1 with an EMG 81 / 85 set and it sounded HUGE, really comfortable to play also.

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
sam86
Jan 25 2007, 01:06 AM
I was recently checking out a review of the fernandes Baritone.... a cross between a guitar and bass ( more like something in between )

Heres the Review

Hope that Helps! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Zee Deveel
Jan 26 2007, 06:52 AM
Kris do you have 2 Parkers or have you changed the neck or the inlays or something? The inlays appear different between some lessons! (The ones in the Sultans of Swing lesson look awesome)

--------------------
Guitars - Epiphone Les Paul Custom (Seymour Duncan JB), Schecter Omen 6 Extreme FR, Squier Affinity Strat, Yamaha F-301 Acoustic

Pedals - Line 6 Uber Metal, Line 6 Echo Park, Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby, MXR Phase 90, Boss NS-2, Digitech WH-4, Boss TR-2, Boss TU-2, Behringer 7 Band EQ

Amps - Marshall AV50 Head + Cab, Marshall AVT100 112, Line 6 Spider 112, Fender Frontman

+Quote Post
VIRUS
Jan 26 2007, 09:34 AM
Caparison Or Jackson would bea good choice

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:03 PM