Pinch Harmonics, Rocker riff lesson
dcz702
Jul 16 2013, 08:31 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I'm on the rocker riff lesson https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guitar/rocker-riff/
And having trouble hitting the pinch harmonic. I can play the whole leeson pretty clean, every time I try to hit the harmonic the note sounds. I know I have to stop the string with my thumb at the same time I hit it with the pick, but can't seem to get it. I can get it if I do it over and over just striking the g note on the 10th fret 5th string, and its easier if I try to play it on the octave up on the 3rd string 12th fret. I want to be able to do this on any string any note on command.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by dcz702: Jul 16 2013, 08:32 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 18)
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 16 2013, 09:00 AM
Instructor
Hey mate - have you tried to execute the pinching on various spots along the string? I will shoot a video for you based on a harmonics exercise I have thought of which will help you explore possibilities - stay tuned today, ok?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jul 16 2013, 09:35 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 16 2013, 08:00 AM) *
Hey mate - have you tried to execute the pinching on various spots along the string? I will shoot a video for you based on a harmonics exercise I have thought of which will help you explore possibilities - stay tuned today, ok?

Thanks, yes I'm practicing it all over. And I'm able to play it easier on the first three strings. E A and D Strings are harder for me to hit it right.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 16 2013, 11:51 AM
Instructor
Dave...please check out the spoken video and the short description under each part of my latest lesson - 90's metal chops. I do explain some things about pinch harmonics that are used a lot in this lesson. I hope this will help a bit.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/90s-Metal-Chops/

Try to follow the text under the tab on eeach part smile.gif

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jul 16 2013, 12:35 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 16 2013, 10:51 AM) *
Dave...please check out the spoken video and the short description under each part of my latest lesson - 90's metal chops. I do explain some things about pinch harmonics that are used a lot in this lesson. I hope this will help a bit.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/90s-Metal-Chops/

Try to follow the text under the tab on eeach part smile.gif

Thanks biggrin.gif this is a great lesson for me right now I'm on it along with the rocker riff thanks.
I'm curious what guitar you were playin it's nice.
I watched your abandoned temple with the same guitar. Sounds killer

Ahhhhh! smile.gif just watched the first voice part. I've been concentrating on getting the thumb to hit right but did not know to move up the string with my pick hand to find the sweet spot biggrin.gif was gonna put down the guitar but I think I'll catch up..

This post has been edited by dcz702: Jul 16 2013, 12:26 PM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 16 2013, 01:11 PM
Instructor
Wow! That's great You found some of my stuff smile.gif As for the lesson I won't hide that I'm very curious of Your take smile.gif If You could find a moment we could talk a bit about harmonics at today's video chat smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 16 2013, 06:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jul 16 2013, 08:35 AM) *
Thanks, yes I'm practicing it all over. And I'm able to play it easier on the first three strings. E A and D Strings are harder for me to hit it right.

'Ar we go skipper! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jul 16 2013, 10:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 16 2013, 05:59 PM) *
'Ar we go skipper! biggrin.gif

Nice. Thank you. This has eluded me. Don't know why I haven't thought to move my pick hand around to find the harmonic. I will practice this till I'm able to play it fluidly.

+Quote Post
uncguy4321
Jul 17 2013, 12:14 AM
GMC:er
Cosmin! Great video, thank you. Its simple things like that some experienced guys assume we all know. Great video!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 17 2013, 05:36 AM
Instructor
Hi man! Cool to see you working on my lesson! I would like to suggest you to check this amazing tutorial by Ramiro Delforte in which you will find all the necessary information to master this technique:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Pinch-Harmonics-Workout/

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Jul 17 2013, 06:58 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 17 2013, 02:36 PM) *
Hi man! Cool to see you working on my lesson! I would like to suggest you to check this amazing tutorial by Ramiro Delforte in which you will find all the necessary information to master this technique:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Pinch-Harmonics-Workout/

Yeah I agree with you man. Pinch harmonics are one of those things that once you get, it's super easy. Good luck smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jul 17 2013, 08:58 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
i got it it was not hard to get down at all biggrin.gif. thats all i need to post the rocker riff lesson. love this site biggrin.gif saved me alot of time by trial, when i ask its clearer faster and easier! smile.gif

This post has been edited by dcz702: Jul 17 2013, 08:59 AM

+Quote Post
Pourliver
Jul 17 2013, 09:03 AM
GMC:er
Hahahah I had the same problem when starting with pinch harmonic at first, just isolate the problem , focus on it for half an hour, and you get the trick ! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 17 2013, 09:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jul 16 2013, 09:52 PM) *
Nice. Thank you. This has eluded me. Don't know why I haven't thought to move my pick hand around to find the harmonic. I will practice this till I'm able to play it fluidly.

Glad I could help, mate! Try it on every string with the major arpeggio - remember it can be any root note, as long as you respect the major arpeggio formula: root, major third, fifth and octave wink.gif

@uncguy4321 - I learned not to assume anything in these matters and I always try to place myself in the shoes of who I was when I first started to play biggrin.gif Glad I could help smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 17 2013, 01:02 PM
Instructor
This is funny how many times and ways of explanation are needed to clear one thing that has been already explained at so many lessons at GMC biggrin.gif ha ha ha tongue.gif I also speak about the right hand placement in the spoken video of 90's metal biggrin.gif How could You missed that tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 17 2013, 01:29 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jul 17 2013, 04:58 AM) *
i got it it was not hard to get down at all biggrin.gif. thats all i need to post the rocker riff lesson. love this site biggrin.gif saved me alot of time by trial, when i ask its clearer faster and easier! smile.gif

Great to know that our comments helped man! Always feel free to ask, no matter if you feel that the question whatever you need. It can make you save a lot of time off course! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 18 2013, 11:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 17 2013, 12:29 PM) *
Great to know that our comments helped man! Always feel free to ask, no matter if you feel that the question whatever you need. It can make you save a lot of time off course! wink.gif

Gabe is right - me and him and Darius, most likely, wanted to understand a lot of things a long time ago and we had nothing that got even a million miles close to GMC, simply because the internet era was barely at its beginnings. But, when I answer simple questions, I always place myself in the shoes of the one who asked and think how much help it would've meant for myself in that moment when I was asking myself the same question. Basically, this is all there is to it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 19 2013, 07:28 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 18 2013, 10:59 AM) *
Gabe is right - me and him and Darius, most likely, wanted to understand a lot of things a long time ago and we had nothing that got even a million miles close to GMC, simply because the internet era was barely at its beginnings. But, when I answer simple questions, I always place myself in the shoes of the one who asked and think how much help it would've meant for myself in that moment when I was asking myself the same question. Basically, this is all there is to it smile.gif

Teaching others let's us learn about the mechanics of things we learned years ago. That's also awesome. This never ending question "How do i do this" biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 20 2013, 03:53 PM
Instructor
Exactly - I always find new ways to think about various notions and principles, simply by explaining them to other people biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:43 PM