3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Intermediate Mentor Teaching Ideas
Vaialation1232
Jan 4 2009, 01:43 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hey everyone, i just wanted this thread to be where we talk about what to teach...maybe GMC videos, techniques, exercises, whatever it happens to be...

Also, for people who may become "mentorees" post videos you like or techniques you'd like to learn as well if you want..

WHAT WE HAVE SO FAR

Ajmurrell-1) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...iming-exercise/ (Muris)
2) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/palm-m...workout-lesson/ (Dejan)

wrk-1) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/legato-stamina/ (Ian)
2) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ht-hand-basic1/ (Danilo)
3) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...ernate-workout/ (Muris)
4) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-thirds/ (Muris)
5) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-picking-etude/ (Muris)

Velvet Roger-1) https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...nner-solo-in-d/ (Muris)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Vaialation1232: Jan 4 2009, 07:36 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 4 2009, 01:59 AM
GMC:er
Great idea Vai biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Vaialation1232
Jan 4 2009, 02:25 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (enforcer @ Jan 3 2009, 04:59 PM) *
Great idea Vai biggrin.gif

Thanks!

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 4 2009, 06:42 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Great for this topic .. will be helpful to get a good collection of ideas.
I will write down a list of lessons which i have in mind and post it later today.

If someone missed it, we started a small discussion in this thread HERE

+Quote Post
Vaialation1232
Jan 4 2009, 07:38 AM
Learning Rock Star
Should i send a message about this to all 10 mentors?

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 4 2009, 08:22 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I think this thread can certainly help in developing ourselves as mentors. Would be great to exchange ideas, approaches etc.

However, it would also be very helpful when we receive the syllabus with exercises to start off with from Andrew/Smells as that should be the starting point for all of us (as far as I can understand from the guidelines thread in this subforum. I think after that, the discussion in this thread can be much more focussed?

@ Vai: Can't hurt to send everyone a PM, however I would expect that everybody is actually checking these forums regularly (especially now tongue.gif).

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Jan 4 2009, 08:23 AM

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Vaialation1232
Jan 4 2009, 08:43 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Jan 3 2009, 11:22 PM) *
I think this thread can certainly help in developing ourselves as mentors. Would be great to exchange ideas, approaches etc.

However, it would also be very helpful when we receive the syllabus with exercises to start off with from Andrew/Smells as that should be the starting point for all of us (as far as I can understand from the guidelines thread in this subforum. I think after that, the discussion in this thread can be much more focussed?

@ Vai: Can't hurt to send everyone a PM, however I would expect that everybody is actually checking these forums regularly (especially now tongue.gif).

True, i hope they send us that syllabus soon

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 4 2009, 11:43 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Vaialation1232 @ Jan 4 2009, 08:43 AM) *
True, i hope they send us that syllabus soon

Yeah that would be great indeed, however it will take a bit of time to make such a thing I guess, so we just have to be a bit patient smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 4 2009, 01:33 PM
Learning Tone Master
Cool thread idea yeah smile.gif

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the syllabus and even more excited about being paired up with someone - only a few more days to go!!

I'm probably going to hold back on thinking about what I'll recommend lesson wise untill I know who I'm paired up with. I think it's very important we get an understanding as to where our mentoree's are with their playing and what they want to accomplish so we can come up with individual lesson plans for them.

I have some in mind though all the same, Muris' timing lesson (where he makes a short solo using most note durations) is a fantastic lesson for getting to understand what different note durations feel/sound like to play.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...iming-exercise/

I also think Dejan's palm mute workout is a fantastic lesson. It can be used as a great warmup exercise, palm muting exercise and alternate picking exercise. It's also a lot of fun to play!
For me this lesson was mainly about slowing down my alternate picking and making sure I was articulate in accents and accurate with timing.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/palm-m...workout-lesson/

Have more idea's for individual techniques and styles, but like I said - it really depends on what our mentoree's want to learn.

QUOTE (Vaialation1232 @ Jan 4 2009, 12:43 AM) *
Hey everyone, i just wanted this thread to be where we talk about what to teach...maybe GMC videos, techniques, exercises, whatever it happens to be...

Also, for people who may become "mentorees" post videos you like or techniques you'd like to learn as well if you want..

Thanks

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 4 2009, 04:51 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
@Velvet Roger : true, it could be helpful to get this syllabus list. I guess it will be necessary to practice some of the lessons before a bit huh.gif

@Ajmurrell: Nice choice, i like and have practiced both lessons a while back.
As you said, it depends so much of the level of the mentoree's. Dejan's palm muting lesson i find personally quite difficult as a whole lesson, but to use just a few bars is a good picking workout, which can be adapted to each level.

In fact this is what i think about a lot of workout lessons. To play them from beginning to the end is often quite a challenge, but to use a few shapes/bars are really useful to integrate in the daily practice routine.

Right and left hand workouts works better for me if i can concentrate on each hand separated. If i work on my picking for example, i don't want to think too much about what my left hand is doing and the other way around. Synchronization of both comes automatically if i reduces inconsistencies on both sides .. at least for me it works better that way.

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jan 4 2009, 05:42 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (wrk @ Jan 4 2009, 04:51 PM) *
@Velvet Roger : true, it could be helpful to get this syllabus list. I guess it will be necessary to practice some of the lessons before a bit huh.gif

As you said, it depends so much of the level of the mentoree's. Dejan's palm muting lesson i find personally quite difficult as a whole lesson, but to use just a few bars is a good picking workout, which can be adapted to each level.

In fact this is what i think about a lot of workout lessons. To play them from beginning to the end is often quite a challenge, but to use a few shapes/bars are really useful to integrate in the daily practice routine.

Right and left hand workouts works better for me if i can concentrate on each hand separated. If i work on my picking for example, i don't want to think too much about what my left hand is doing and the other way around. Synchronization of both comes automatically if i reduces inconsistencies on both sides .. at least for me it works better that way.

Wrk,
You are right about the lessons being a challenge!! I use the lessons as the core of my practicing though because they integrate so many techniques in them, especially Muris's lessons. Like right now, I am working on Muris's phrygian advanced. I have broken it up into 8 or so licks and it covers sweeping, legato, tapping (I changed one of his licks laugh.gif ) hybrid picking and even double stops. These kinds of lessons to me are the most useful.

+Quote Post
wrk
Jan 4 2009, 06:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jan 4 2009, 05:42 PM) *
Wrk,
You are right about the lessons being a challenge!! I use the lessons as the core of my practicing though because they integrate so many techniques in them, especially Muris's lessons. Like right now, I am working on Muris's phrygian advanced. I have broken it up into 8 or so licks and it covers sweeping, legato, tapping (I changed one of his licks laugh.gif ) hybrid picking and even double stops. These kinds of lessons to me are the most useful.

Yes, thats one reason why i love Muris's lessons so much as there are full of different technics ... i could spend a life-time on some of them smile.gif. I cut them in little peaces as well and build exercises out of it to work on each technic separated. From time to time i put them together and check if i did progress .. mostly i go back practicing laugh.gif

But in general i think thats a good why to approach and work on lessons (solo/song lessons). It's a bit useless for me to play the whole lesson 100times from the beginning to the end and being sloppy at the same parts all the time.

What i mean in the previous post was more directed on workout lessons to learn basic technics like alt. picking and legato.

To concentrate on each hand separated. I like the approach on lessons like:
Ian - Legato Stamina : HERE
Danilo - Right Hand Basics : HERE

These workouts i love as well (much slower of course). They sound great and are definitely a challenge, but both hands are dealing with so many things to be able to focus only on picking or accurate fretting. There are great for synchronization i think.
Muris - Alternate workout : HERE
Muris - Alternate Picking Thirds : HERE
Muris - C Minor Picking Etude : HERE

Maybe i'm to old to practice everything at the same time laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 4 2009, 07:14 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Jan 4 2009, 01:33 PM) *
I'm probably going to hold back on thinking about what I'll recommend lesson wise untill I know who I'm paired up with. I think it's very important we get an understanding as to where our mentoree's are with their playing and what they want to accomplish so we can come up with individual lesson plans for them.

Yeah, I agree completely on this. The actual level of playing of our mentoree's will of course be making a large difference in the lesson plan, although everybody needs to go through some basics to see someones shortcomings.

QUOTE (wrk @ Jan 4 2009, 06:52 PM) *
These workouts i love as well (much slower of course). They sound great and are definitely a challenge, but both hands are dealing with so many things to be able to focus only on picking or accurate fretting. There are great for synchronization i think.
Muris - Alternate workout : HERE
Muris - Alternate Picking Thirds : HERE
Muris - C Minor Picking Etude : HERE

These alternate picking workouts/lessons are excellent, as long as someone is continously practicing them as otherwise they are quite difficult to do smile.gif

One of the lessons as well which is awesome and covers quite a few techniques in a simple way is the beginner solo in D of Muris (and the solo is really cool to play smile.gif).

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 4 2009, 11:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah I agree with you on that for certain lessons. The muris timing one for example, I can't play the 32nd notes at full tempo (or near top tempo for that matter!) but that still leaves 80% of the lesson that really helped my knowledge.

A lot of the lessons are like that, so there's a vast resource for us to work with smile.gif

QUOTE (wrk @ Jan 4 2009, 03:51 PM) *

It'll be impossible to know what style lessons and associated techniques we can recommend untill we're paired up, but general exercises and work outs I guess we can come together and share our recommendations for smile.gif

The great thing about difficult lessons, and all lessons on GMC is that anyone can attempt them with the slower backing tracks.

I believe that even some of the real advanced lessons can still be of great use to begginers as there's a goal in sight as to where the practice will take them.

On the other hand it can also be seen as daunting and out of reach, so I guess I'll(we'll) have to be very careful using that strategy!

Still excited to be a part of this!

QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Jan 4 2009, 06:14 PM) *
Yeah, I agree completely on this. The actual level of playing of our mentoree's will of course be making a large difference in the lesson plan, although everybody needs to go through some basics to see someones shortcomings.

These alternate picking workouts/lessons are excellent, as long as someone is continously practicing them as otherwise they are quite difficult to do smile.gif

One of the lessons as well which is awesome and covers quite a few techniques in a simple way is the beginner solo in D of Muris (and the solo is really cool to play smile.gif).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vaialation1232
Jan 4 2009, 11:45 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks everyone...heres a pretty cool tool that may be helpful for people wanting to play a certain scale/mode, even if they don't know where it is on the guitar...certainly it shouldn't be used INSTEAD of learning them but it is a good backup to double check if you are right

http://tonyross.customer.netspace.net.au/fretboard1-71.html

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Jan 5 2009, 02:54 AM
Learning Tone Master
Thats an excellent little tool indeed. Really simple to use, thanks! Love seeing the flamenco scale in there - must give that a go!! (Hope's to turn into a flamenco genius over night laugh.gif )

QUOTE (Vaialation1232 @ Jan 4 2009, 10:45 PM) *
Thanks everyone...heres a pretty cool tool that may be helpful for people wanting to play a certain scale/mode, even if they don't know where it is on the guitar...certainly it shouldn't be used INSTEAD of learning them but it is a good backup to double check if you are right

http://tonyross.customer.netspace.net.au/fretboard1-71.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 5 2009, 09:18 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Thanks for that Vai, very handy smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 7 2009, 08:57 PM
Moderation Policy Director
This is great stuff guys, keep it going!

We will be giving you a suggested syllabus to sketch out what we believe the basics are that every guitarist should have, but of course everyone is different and a big part of this is what you as mentors bring to the table in terms of working with your students to find out what they need - so keep up the discussion and we will have your mentoree assignments and the syllabus soon (Bith Smells and I are victims of the post holiday work rushg at the moment but we will do our best to get things sorted quickly!)

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 7 2009, 09:06 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jan 7 2009, 08:57 PM) *
This is great stuff guys, keep it going!

We will be giving you a suggested syllabus to sketch out what we believe the basics are that every guitarist should have, but of course everyone is different and a big part of this is what you as mentors bring to the table in terms of working with your students to find out what they need - so keep up the discussion and we will have your mentoree assignments and the syllabus soon (Bith Smells and I are victims of the post holiday work rushg at the moment but we will do our best to get things sorted quickly!)

Looking forward to the moment smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 7 2009, 09:46 PM
GMC:er
Well, I made some research about our MTP beginner candidates. They generally share the same problems, right-left hands syncronisation, bending, vibrato, legato, pretty much every basic technique at high speeds, and with that comes theory based flaws and not knowing how to practice also. I believe here, we may make a fair standardization of the lesson schedule... biggrin.gif

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:21 PM