2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Speed Record., chromatics.
wrk
Jul 30 2008, 11:25 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
smile.gif .. beside the fact that world records in playing guitar are indeed pointless, i kind of like the idea to have a range of around 150bpm on top of it as a safe zone .. at least i wouldn't play all the time on my limits .. laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jul 31 2008, 12:16 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
There is nothing wrong if you can play fast, there is also nothing wrong if you actually play fast and use your speed to create something, but ONLY playing fast, as fast as you can... come on, this is lame in my opinion. I recently read an interview with Malmsteen, and he said that there are many players today that can play scales very fast, but when it comes to bending a slow note, adding a nice vibrato, thats when those fast guys start getting problems. One of my very fave players is David Gilmour, and he is not really famous for playing fast...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 31 2008, 01:03 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Jul 31 2008, 07:16 AM) *
One of my very fave players is David Gilmour, and he is not really famous for playing fast...

Couldn't agree more Marcus (and I also love Dave Gilmour!)

Playing fast, specifically speed picking, sweep picking and all of those techniques are great to have in your arsenal, but when you get down to it, playing slowly and phrasing well are just as demanding as building up speed.

Think about it: if you are playing 10 notes per second, it doesn't matter if each one sounds bad as it is over and gone in a fraction of a second and you get to try again. The main criteria is that you hit it, it rings out and you mute it before it does any more damage and move on to the next one. Of course, the very best players will hit EVERY note consistently, but even so, the notes themselves are never very exposed, the art is in the flurry of notes.

But, play a long slow note, bend it up at exactly the right speed, to the exact right pitch, hold it, getting enough sustain that it doesn't die, then adding vibrato at the right time, at the right speed whilst keeping the bend and tonal center correct ... that is very hard, and is as worthy of respect when played by a master as a fast speed picking run. They both need enormous amounts of practice to get right, and are both techniques that any all round guitarist should try and master IMO.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jul 31 2008, 01:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
Absolutely, Andrew. Very well said. If a guitarist wants to be really good and appreciated, he doesn´t have to play fast. From time to time he could build a speed picking run in his song, but the essential point is musicality. Note choice and their performance are the most important points that make a musician.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 31 2008, 02:32 PM
Instructor
Each technique is good but only as a tool
to create more music,nice music,it's all about that. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Jul 31 2008, 03:47 PM
GMC:er
I listened to some other stuff (and no he can't own Malmsteen tongue.gif) but he does have some pretty good stuff other than just pure shredding and speed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0JngEcvedc he gets a bit speedy at the end but I don't think it takes away from the song at all.

Not trying to defend that first video though, playing that fast is ridiculous.

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:31 PM