> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Dinaga's Mode Method
Dinaga
Apr 23 2012, 12:20 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
OK I came up with something. I tried to use 6 modes in one song, and you be the judge how it fits together! mellow.gif I wanted to emphasize the different moods of every mode with mode-specific chords.

So here's what I composed:

It starts with the A Ionian mode over these chords:
A, D, A, E
A, D, A, E
A, F#m7, A, E,
A, F#m7, Bm7, C#m7

Then we switch to A Lydian mode with the B7 chord... is this transition too drastic? mellow.gif
A, B7, C#m7, B
A, B7, C#m7, E
A, F#m7, C#m7, E
A, F#m7, E, Esus4

Now it breaks to A Aeolian mode which is the most significant mood switch, from major to minor:
Am, C, F, Esus4, E
Am, C, F, G
Am, C, F, Esus4, E
Am, C, F, G

Now I added the D major chord which brings A dorian mode:
Am, D, Cadd9, C, G6
Am, D, Cadd9, C, G6
Am, D, Em, G6
Am, D, Em G6

And now another big switch to A phrygian using the A# chord:
Am, A#, C, A#
Am, A#, C, A#
Am, A#, C, A#
Am, F, G

And I found out that dominant chord as a root has really funky/bluesy feel which is great for A mixolydian mode:
A7, A7sus4, D, Dsus4
A7, A7sus4, D, Dsus4
G, D, A7
G, D, A

That's it my friend. smile.gif I enjoyed making this but I'm not sure how correct and musical it is. I'll leave that to you to decide!

I quickly recorded me strumming all these chords, so you can check it out by hearing the whole idea. smile.gif Guitar tone sucks - I know, and it probably went a little out of tune because my strings need replacement, but you'll hear the most important stuff in this mess, I hope smile.gif
I'm really sleepy now and didn't have the time to record and mix this better mellow.gif

When we decide over a certain progression, I'll make something with better quality using virtual instruments. smile.gif

http://soundcloud.com/dino-trnka/dinaga-modes

I had to take a picture of my desk, just for fun biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif These interval/chord/scale cheatsheets I made are quite helpful, I'm looking forward to being able to do this without looking at the paper wink.gif But I'm slowly learning smile.gif

Now that I look at this, I really shouldn't have used A chord at the beginning of every progression. mellow.gif But hey, it's a start biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Dinaga: Apr 23 2012, 12:35 AM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 25 2012, 10:38 AM
Instructor
Hey D-man!

Let's take them one at a time wink.gif

Ionian - all good

Lydian - I would use a B add 11 to make it sound more authentic, instead of the B7

In the case of Aeolian - the E major, hints us towards a major mode - you would want to use Em to keep it Aeolian here wink.gif

Ok for A dorian

For A phrygian, the G should be minor, otherwise the last three chords belong to the C Ionian (Am F G)

Ok for the Mixolydian

Now I would like to hear this in a more organized way biggrin.gif but, I will try a hand myself and see how I could arrange the chords - some transitions would be very nice wink.gif thanks for pushing me mate smile.gif I never worked with such a big progression

Cosmin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Apr 25 2012, 11:56 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Apr 25 2012, 09:38 AM) *
Hey D-man!

Let's take them one at a time wink.gif

Ionian - all good

Lydian - I would use a B add 11 to make it sound more authentic, instead of the B7

In the case of Aeolian - the E major, hints us towards a major mode - you would want to use Em to keep it Aeolian here wink.gif

Ok for A dorian

For A phrygian, the G should be minor, otherwise the last three chords belong to the C Ionian (Am F G)

Ok for the Mixolydian

Now I would like to hear this in a more organized way biggrin.gif but, I will try a hand myself and see how I could arrange the chords - some transitions would be very nice wink.gif thanks for pushing me mate smile.gif I never worked with such a big progression

Cosmin

Awesome mate, thanks a lot! smile.gif Yeah, the transitions are the trickiest part of this. Looking forward to see your ideas and then I'll make a better backing track with virtual instruments to jam those modes over wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Apr 26 2012, 07:58 AM
Instructor
Will post this during the weekend man biggrin.gif see ya around wink.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 1 2012, 10:15 AM
Instructor
Hey D man smile.gif it's going slow but sure footed. Check this out:

I modded your progression like this up the the Aeolian mode and managed a smooth transition between the B7 and the Am7 by playing E over B7 and then sliding down to C over Am7 :0

Ionian - I used a lot of open string chords due to the fact that they will make a smooth and great sounding team with the Lydian as well

Asus2 F#m7add11 (open B and E strings) Esus4 Emajor
Asus2 F#m7add11 F#m7 (9th position with the open high E string) Emajor (or C#m with the open E for a bit more tension)
Bm7add11 C#m (with the open E string) D5 E5

Lydian

A Bmajoradd11 (fret 2 with the open E string) C#m (with the open E) G#mb6 (4th fret with the B and E open strings)
A Bmajoradd11 (fret 2 with the open E string) C#m (with the open E) Bmajoradd11 (fret 2 with the open E string) (over this B chord we can play an E not and slide it to C when we shift to the Aeolian mode in Am)

I'll keep workin on it and try to give it as much sense and direction as I can smile.gif

Let me know if you like the ideas and I'll record them biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 5 2012, 06:02 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey mate! I didn't respond right away because I don't want to overwhelm you with this since I know it's a lot work for you too! smile.gif

This sounds great, and really exotic!! I am trying to play this as a progression and I'm not 100% sure if my fingering is OK in all the chords but the open strings really give it a mystic feeling! The fact that Ionian mode doesn't start with a major chord sounded a bit strange to me but it just adds up to the whole melody to make it more interesting. smile.gif

The Bm7add11 C#m D5 E5 part which leads out of the Ionian mode is AWESOME! biggrin.gif The tension builds up with four chords and finally releases with the A chord. Sounds really cool and it's a LOT better transition to Lydian than mine! smile.gif

I also jammed to the Lydian progression and the Badd11 really gives the Lydian feeling - playing Ionian here really sounds wrong! I guess the D# note in the Badd11 chord is the one most responsible for this, and the fact that the B chord is a major instead of minor! This gets really interesting smile.gif

(over this B chord we can play an E not and slide it to C when we shift to the Aeolian mode in Am)

Sorry, I didn't really understand this smile.gif

I tried to transcribe the chords you put - did I do this right?

I can't wait for your next ideas or recording mate, this sounds really great and it's also very educative trying to figure out why you chose these specific chords smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: May 5 2012, 06:05 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 5 2012, 06:35 PM
Instructor
He D-man! Thanks for the love! This will take a bit more but in the end smile.gif you and me will be tearing this track apart, k? I got big plans so, let's take it slowly but at a surefooted pace! Everything NEEDS to flow biggrin.gif

The E note is the 5th for B chord and it goes over to the C note which is the b3rd for the Am chord, it offers a wonderful transition useful for the melody part biggrin.gif Dig it, D-man?

All the chords look good in the tab there biggrin.gif Let's see what I can concoct next!

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 5 2012, 06:42 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 5 2012, 05:35 PM) *
He D-man! Thanks for the love! This will take a bit more but in the end smile.gif you and me will be tearing this track apart, k? I got big plans so, let's take it slowly but at a surefooted pace! Everything NEEDS to flow biggrin.gif

The E note is the 5th for B chord and it goes over to the C note which is the b3rd for the Am chord, it offers a wonderful transition useful for the melody part biggrin.gif Dig it, D-man?

All the chords look good in the tab there biggrin.gif Let's see what I can concoct next!

Cosmin

Awesome! biggrin.gif I'm so excited about this smile.gif Tearing apart? Damn right - after we're done, the track will be:

biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 15 2012, 09:49 AM
Instructor
Alrighty D-man smile.gif

For the next two modes, I see them as creating a transition towards the more furious and tense Phrygian and the Mixolidian who should solve everything wink.gif

As for the groove, a shuffle/ swing aery beat would be great, to create the feeling of transition and calm

The progressions:

Aeolian:

Am7 Cadd9 Fsus2 Em7
Am7 Cadd9 Fsus2 G

Dorian:

Am7 DM7
Am7 DM7 Cadd9
Am7 DM7
Am7 DM7 Cadd9 Dadd11

what do you think?

Cosmin smile.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Aeolian_Dorian.mp3 ( 607K ) Number of downloads: 86

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 16 2012, 06:49 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Cosmin my friend! This sounds so freaking cool! biggrin.gif
I'm currently jamming to this and the transition to Dorian is awesome and I also like the arpeggio to jazzy-style chord feel transition VERY MUCH!

When we're done with these progressions, if you have the time and will, we might double these chords and make a kind of an instructor-student "call-response" modal-collab or something, what do you think? biggrin.gif Just an idea, I think it would turn out really cool. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: May 16 2012, 06:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 16 2012, 06:51 PM
Instructor
That was my intention ALL ALONG biggrin.gif I can't wait either!! I'm glad you like it mate!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: May 16 2012, 06:51 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 23 2012, 09:19 AM
Instructor
D-man, check this out:

What if we make a little vid together over the modal backing we're working on having the following scenario:

The two guitar heroes D-man and C-man are on a hot pursuit for the 'Holy Note' which lies at the end of the modal labyrinth. To get it, they must successfully cross all the levels of the labyrinth by playing over the modal progressions biggrin.gif

In fewer words, we both write down solos over each progression, record them, shoot vids and then I mix everything and make up a story in the vid tongue.gif

What do you think mate?

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: May 28 2012, 12:38 PM

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 24 2012, 02:30 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 23 2012, 08:19 AM) *
D-man, check this out:

What if we make a little vid together over the modal backing we're working on having the following scenario:

The two guitar heroes D-man and C-man are on a hot pursuit for the 'Holy Note' which lies at the end of the modal labyrinth. To get it, they must successfully cross all the levels of the labyrinth by playing over the modal progressions biggrin.gif

In fewer words, we both write down solos over each progression, record them, shoot vids and then I mix everything and make up a story in the vid tongue.gif maybe we'll end up on the front page with this wink.gif

What do you think mate?

Cosmin

I think it's an awesome idea mate!!! laugh.gif This is going to be great biggrin.gif
Are you going to make a backing track? If so, I'm looking forward to checking it out and blasting some modal sweet solos biggrin.gif
Just let me know when we begin and I'm all in smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 24 2012, 05:07 PM
Instructor
Yes yes wink.gif I shall make the backing based on the progressions we discussed tongue.gif 2 more and we are there. I would like you to focus on phrasing and melody in this little collaboration, I mean let's both try to be as musical as possible wink.gif Does the end of June fit you for the final take? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 24 2012, 06:12 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Alright mate, no problem! End of June sounds great smile.gif I will try to be as musical as possible, I too think it will be more than fitting for this type of collab. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 25 2012, 02:20 PM
Instructor
Great D-man! I am so glad you are into this wink.gif let's make it count, ok?

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 25 2012, 06:46 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
OK C-Man, I already composed my part for the Aeolian mode progression. smile.gif When I learn it well, I'll post it here so you can tell me whether it's good or it sucks. smile.gif

What tempo should we play at? I composed this mini-aeolian solo with around 110-115 bpm in mind but if you want a faster or slower tempo just let me know, so I'll know what to compose. smile.gif
Cheers mate!

This post has been edited by Dinaga: May 25 2012, 07:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dinaga
May 25 2012, 08:56 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
OK, here's the solo, played at around 115 bpm, so you can check it out and say if it's any good. smile.gif

I wanted to give it a "crying" mood, as it's such a sad mode. smile.gif That's why I had some grace notes combined with legato and sliding instead of just alternate picking, to make it sound more mellow.

I used your chord recording as a backing track, for now. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dinaga: May 25 2012, 08:59 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Dinaga___Aeolian_solo.mp3 ( 314.28K ) Number of downloads: 82

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 25 2012, 09:45 PM
Instructor
Dude! YES, I like this! Very nice biggrin.gif I'll cook up what we got till now in the backing track wink.gif we will focus on the transitions a lot my friend tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 26 2012, 11:03 AM
Instructor
This is the first draft of our whole mix of progressions:

Ionian - acoustic strumming - the beginning

Asus2 F#m7add11 (open B and E strings) Esus4 Emajor
Asus2 F#m7add11 F#m7 (9th position with the open high E string) Emajor (or C#m with the open E for a bit

more tension)
Bm7add11 C#m (with the open E string) D5 E5

Lydian - acoustic strumming - amazed at the wonders they encounter

A Bmajoradd11 (fret 2 with the open E string) C#m (with the open E) G#mb6 (4th fret with the B and E open

strings)
A Bmajoradd11 (fret 2 with the open E string) C#m (with the open E) Bmajoradd11 (fret 2 with the open E

string) (over this B chord we can play an E not and slide it to C when we shift to the Aeolian mode in Am)

Aeolian - jazzy mood (wind in the background) - life is beautiful

Am7 Cadd9 Fsus2 Em7
Am7 Cadd9 Fsus2 G

Dorian - jazzy mood (building tension) - approaching the fight

Am7 DM7
Am7 DM7 Cadd9
Am7 DM7
Am7 DM7 Cadd9 Dadd11 - passing phrase with open strings and a bit of drive

Phrygian - metal - the fight for the prize

A A# C A# x3

F5 G5 A

Mixolydian - cools down as the conclusion of a nice story

Dsus4 D Dsus2 A7sus4 A7 x2

G Dsus2

G D A

I will come up with a tension chart biggrin.gif for you to analyze and build your lead sections accordingly biggrin.gif

let me know what you think mate

Cosmin

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: May 26 2012, 11:03 AM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:02 PM