> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Gary Clark Jr Style, Lesson By Gabriel Leopardi
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
6 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Tom51
Nov 20 2016, 11:52 AM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: Gary Clark Jr Style by Gabriel Leopardi

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 21 2016, 03:00 PM
Instructor
In the main riff I see that you're struggling to reach that D note on the 5th fret of the A string. What you can do is move your whole hand slightly after you've played the open E string. As soon as you've played the open E, shift your hand into position so you can fret that note easier. If you watch Gab you'll see he does this rather than stretch out his fingers.

Your timing is strong like it usually is, which is a great thing. At the moment, your overall playing style could be described as tentative. You're very gentle with your fretting and picking approach but I'd say it's excessively light and gentle. It's hard for you to get behind the rhythm and things like bending and vibrato whilst having this excessively light tough.

I'm also still not happy with the way you're holding your pick but I know I've said about that before and if you do feel it works better for you then I'll say no more on that subject, as long as you feel you can get what you need out of it wink.gif

Just work on that hand shift in the main riff to get that D note more cleanly and easier. And try to inject a bit more 'juice' into things if you can. You're very accurate and meticulous which is good but we also need to see a little bit of the harder dynamics of guitar playing coming into play.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 21 2016, 04:11 PM
Instructor
Hi Tom,

As we are working on this lesson at the mentoring thread, you already know my thoughts. It's interesting to see that Ben also comments about your right hand, and the way you hold the pick. I think that you should give some attention to it in order to adjust it. It will be really positive for the future.

Regarding your playing, timing is good in most of the lesson, except in the riffing parts where I think that the melodic phrases that are mixed with the riff (higher frets) tend to be a bit hurried. Try to keep the groove when playing them.

Besides this, I think that there are some pitch issues in the solo. This is related to some bends that are not reaching the right pitch (even some micro bends), and this can also be related to your guitar tuning/calibration. It's not bad, but there is some room to adjustment.

Ok mate, these are some extra thoughts to what we are talking at the thread. Keep on the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Nov 21 2016, 05:04 PM
Instructor
Hey Tom!

First of all - I agree with Ben on your pick grip. I know I did mention it before. You are doing a real good job with your playing and I know it's about time to fix your pick grip. Now is the moment you can do it with no harm. The longer you'll keep it this way, the harder it would be later to relearn and abandon old habits...belive me...I've been there as well. Now your picking is quite soft so you may not be feeling what we mean. As soon as you'll try to play really hard and keep the sync, you'll notice that your index finger is flexible and holding pick on the print side makes you use a lot more strength to hold it steady. Most of us use side of the index finger to rest the pick on it.

Tuning - something went wrong with the tuning. It may be your discalibrated tuner (a few cents away from 440 Hz) or this could be backing track sampling rate difference that causes your Daw to change pitch while playback. Please recheck this. You guitar is fine until another guitar comes in in the backing track

Notes connection - minor mistake or rather...something that needs tweaking. You need to avoid long breaks between notes. This lesson is made with a very smooth connection between notes in the riff.

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 23 2016, 10:20 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6.3

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:08 AM