Rhythm Displacement
Ben Higgins
Aug 2 2013, 04:55 PM
Instructor
I was inspired to start this thread after watching a video of Scott Henderson over in the whammy bar thread

Around 3:50 the subject moves on to rhythm displacement, which is cycling a small motif so that the beginning note falls in different places of the beat until the cycle eventually repeats itself, giving a syncopated sound.

In my opinion this is a very simple yet valuable approach in playing solos. How many of you guys do this already ? How many of you think you'll give it a go ?

Here is an older GMC lesson by Joe Katoldo that also incorporates this idea

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...c-displacement/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bahadirpeker
Aug 2 2013, 05:08 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 2 2013, 03:55 PM) *
I was inspired to start this thread after watching a video of Scott Henderson over in the whammy bar thread

Around 3:50 the subject moves on to rhythm displacement, which is cycling a small motif so that the beginning note falls in different places of the beat until the cycle eventually repeats itself, giving a syncopated sound.

In my opinion this is a very simple yet valuable approach in playing solos. How many of you guys do this already ? How many of you think you'll give it a go ?

Here is an older GMC lesson by Joe Katoldo that also incorporates this idea

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...c-displacement/

Thank you Ben for sharing this video. I like Scott Henderson a lot and the rhythmic idea is really sensible.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Aug 2 2013, 06:15 PM
I think this style is common with Jazzy players...i think that Shawn Lane used this trick often ,if i remmember

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 2 2013, 06:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Aug 2 2013, 06:15 PM) *
I think this style is common with Jazzy players...i think that Shawn Lane used this trick often ,if i remmember

Correct, he is known for odd note groups like 7 and 5 etc.. Rusty Cooley too.

QUOTE (bahadirpeker @ Aug 2 2013, 05:08 PM) *
Thank you Ben for sharing this video. I like Scott Henderson a lot and the rhythmic idea is really sensible.

No worries.. and I thank The Professor for posting it first smile.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Aug 2 2013, 06:55 PM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Aug 2 2013, 07:50 PM) *
Correct, he is known for odd note groups like 7 and 5 etc.. Rusty Cooley too.

Rusty Cooley, don't tell me you listened to that... #$%&* (BEEEEP) ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 2 2013, 08:34 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Aug 2 2013, 06:55 PM) *
Rusty Cooley, don't tell me you listened to that... #$%&* (BEEEEP) ? smile.gif

You don't like my doppelganger ?? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Aug 2 2013, 08:38 PM
NEIN!

He's just poorly trying to copy your playing and looks !! But he's copying you so fast, i can't hear any clear notes there biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Aug 3 2013, 08:42 AM
Instructor
I know a lot of those tricks biggrin.gif Learned them from Guthrie's book a few years ago, when he compares playing odd rhythmic subdivisions in such a way that they will fit in a bar - i.e. 5 notes per beat and then playing groups of 5 16th notes for instance over 4/4 bars, until you reach beat one. - Maybe a video example would be nice - so I'll come up with one smile.gif

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 3 2013, 09:34 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Thanks for sharing, great vid smile.gif

I actually use a similar approach on the rhythm guitar sometimes, shakes things up a bit smile.gif
Not sure if it's the same method, but I play something faster or slower than the current rhythm and it takes a few times before it comes back into the rhythm (horribly explained, I know..) smile.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 4 2013, 03:56 PM
Instructor
One of many tools that make simple things sound cool. One of many proves how rhythm variations are underrated by students searching for soloing improvements smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Aug 5 2013, 08:54 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Aug 4 2013, 03:56 PM) *
One of many tools that make simple things sound cool. One of many proves how rhythm variations are underrated by students searching for soloing improvements smile.gif

Very true. People would be surprised how often their favourite guitarists use it too.

It can also give an illusion of higher speeds !

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:20 PM