Guitar Without Amplifier?
Darknodar123
Oct 22 2009, 07:35 PM
GMC:er
Hey guys.Im new to GMC and i really like this site (viewing for 2 months) and i decided to register and i want to express my problems to all of u.Hope u can help me biggrin.gif

Well i bought a guitar yesterday and i was really excited.I was about to view Andrew Cockburn's videos as i have no experience regarding electric guitar (hope i went to the right place to get some).But i have no amplifier.I watch users all over the Internet saying that an electric guitar without amplifier sounds bad.Well i have experieced the same thing.Without an amplifier it sounds like a classic guitar in some way.

Well what do u think?Should i start gaining some experience in GMC or wait to buy an amplifier and then i start viewing videos so that the results will be better.

PS The guitar came without a pick.I dont know how am i supposed to learn without a pick.Also i installed the whammy bar and it does not work.Does it need an amplifier to work?

Cheers, Chris

Edited for language, by Micke on behalf of the moderating team

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Matt23
Oct 22 2009, 07:42 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Just want to say welcome to GMC, I hope you enjoy yourself here, and I will try and answer some of your questions. smile.gif

There is not so much point in an electric without an amp, but you can get a good practice amp quite cheaply. I recommend the Roland Microcube.

About the pick I've never had a guitar that came with a pick, but if you go to your local music store you can pick one up (no pun intended) for 50p. And whammy's don't need an amp, so in what way does the whammy not work?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Joruus
Oct 22 2009, 07:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Chris!
Welcome to GMC

Its true that an electric guitar without amp doesn't make much sound (specially cheaper ones)
I think a great way to get started is buying a "Pod Studio", if you don't mind to play your guitar at your computer.
This thing connects your guitar to your computer and lets you setup tone in a program, and make sound through your speakers or headphones!
It should only cost about 80€/100$ and give you great options, while buying an amp at that price is very limitted and often poor sound quality.

Also first thing to do is go buy some picks! at your local music shop or online if you prefer..

And about the whammy bar.. they can't really not work.. except if its fake(@_@?), but you probly don't hear it work cause your notes die really quick because of the lack of amp.

edit: A picture of the guitar would help for more info on the whammy bar!

This post has been edited by Joruus: Oct 22 2009, 07:49 PM

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 22 2009, 07:47 PM
Instructor
Welcome to GMC man! smile.gif

What guitar did you bought?
What music and what type of guitar tone do you like?
Do you have any budget for buying amp/software or just want some general info?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Guitar1969
Oct 22 2009, 07:48 PM
QUOTE (Darknodar123 @ Oct 22 2009, 11:35 AM) *
Hey guys.Im new to GMC and i really like this site (viewing for 2 months) and i decided to register and i want to express my problems to all of u.Hope u can help me biggrin.gif

Well i bought a guitar yesterday and i was really excited.I was about to view Andrew Cockburn's videos as i have no experience regarding electric guitar (hope i went to the right place to get some).But i have no amplifier.I watch users all over the Internet saying that an electric guitar without amplifier sounds bad.Well i have experieced the same thing.Without an amplifier it sounds like a classic guitar in some way.

Well what do u think?Should i start gaining some experience in GMC or wait to buy an amplifier and then i start viewing videos so that the results will be better.

PS The guitar came without a pick.I dont know how am i supposed to learn without a pick.Also i installed the whammy bar and it does not work.Does it need an amplifier to work?

Cheers, Chris

I think you should buy an amp or at least a cheap $20 headphone amp to make it more enjoyable for you to keep you motivated, but when just starting out you definitely don't need an amp to progress, since you are just going to be learning picking and chord shapes.

If you do buy an amp , don't go crazy since at this point you don't really know what you want or need - that will come down the road. You could even easily hook up your guitar to your computer and play through it, with effects and all.

You also need a pick as you need to start learning how to use it right away.

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 22 2009, 07:59 PM
Oh thats a burst of replies thank u very much for trying to help me.

As i mentioned before i have no experience regarding guitar so dont take what i say too seriously.That means i didnt know that a pick isnt packaged with a guitar.

As for the guitar i bought, is this.

http://www.evansvillechristian.org/technol...uitar-parts.JPG

I have an idea of which amp to buy.I was giong to buy a Marshall 15W.Its a good amplifier with satisfying results and its very small.So plzz if ure about to give me another idea of which amplifier to buy bear in mind that i have a very small room.Thats way i like the amplifier i mentioned.

As long the Whammy is concerned i dont know.Maybe i havent installed it right?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 22 2009, 08:05 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Darknodar123 @ Oct 22 2009, 07:59 PM) *
Oh thats a burst of replies thank u very much for trying to help me.

As i mentioned before i have no experience regarding guitar so dont take what i say too seriously.That means i didnt know that a pick isnt packaged with a guitar.

As for the guitar i bought, is this.

http://www.evansvillechristian.org/technol...uitar-parts.JPG

I have an idea of which amp to buy.I was giong to buy a Marshall 15W.Its a good amplifier with satisfying results and its very small.So plzz if ure about to give me another idea of which amplifier to buy bear in mind that i have a very small room.Thats way i like the amplifier i mentioned.

As long the Whammy is concerned i dont know.Maybe i havent installed it right?

About the amp, the Roland Microcube I suggested is very small. The old Marshall MGs have a bad reputation, but I've heard some good things about the new ones. The best thing to do imo would be to go to your local guitar store and just buy what small cheap amp you like the sound of.

What is the specific problem with a whammy? Whammy's are meant to raise and lower pitch when you lift and press the bar, what is your's doing?

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 22 2009, 08:11 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
As others said, get an amp to enjoy it. An amp with a few built in effects would be godd too, so you get use to distortion/delay/chorus etc, plus you will be able to shape your tone better to play songs & lessons.

Go to your local shop if you can, and see a few for yourself. The good news is now a days there are tons of inexpensive amps that fit your needs.

Welcome, and don't hesitate to ask any other doubts, GMC is full of helpful people that really know their stuff wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 22 2009, 08:15 PM
Well I lift the Whammy but there are no changes on the notes.I install and reinstall but nothing.

QUOTE (Fran @ Oct 22 2009, 10:11 PM) *
As others said, get an amp to enjoy it. An amp with a few built in effects would be godd too, so you get use to distortion/delay/chorus etc, plus you will be able to shape your tone better to play songs & lessons.

Go to your local shop if you can, and see a few for yourself. The good news is now a days there are tons of inexpensive amps that fit your needs.

Welcome, and don't hesitate to ask any other doubts, GMC is full of helpful people that really know their stuff wink.gif

Thank you and i sure will biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Oct 22 2009, 08:17 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Can you take a photo of the whammy?

QUOTE (Joruus @ Oct 22 2009, 07:47 PM) *
And about the whammy bar.. they can't really not work.. except if its fake(@_@?), but you probly don't hear it work cause your notes die really quick because of the lack of amp.

That could be the problem but it is possible to hear a pitch change if you whammy a note straight after you've picked it without an amp.

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 22 2009, 08:20 PM
Sorry i dont own a cam or something.But that may be the problem.Any way i am going to buy an amp really soon so i ll my problems regarding the amp will be solved smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Oxac
Oct 22 2009, 09:03 PM
If you have a stratocaster you shouldn't really be able to raise pitch so lifting the wamma won't do you any good. you should press it down, toward the body of the guitar to lower pitch.

--------------------
Olle "AJ" Svensson

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 22 2009, 09:44 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
As both Matt and Fran have said try to go and try some amps out if you can.

15w may well be too loud btw for a bedroom - especially if it's a tube/valve mp. 5W may be better here for a tube/valve amp for home use. However, if it's a transistor/solidstate amp then final watts doesn't matter as much.

The main thing is try a few different ones - including expensive ones - just to give you an idea of the difference/s and don't matter if you can't play - the staff are there to help and we all started somewhere smile.gif .

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Oct 22 2009, 10:01 PM
Instructor
I'm not sure if I really understood your situation here,
you said that electric guitar sounds bad without an amp, which it true ofc.
But did you say it in general OR compared when played through some software
like Guitar Rig, Amplitube, any kind of modeler actually?

Perhaps a software might be the thing for you atm,
just think it through before you buy any amp.
I have 2-3 amps but I never played any at home,
I use software stuff all the time plus with headphones.
The most ideal way would be to have amp for any occasion
including for home use but sometimes it's just too loud. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
MickeM
Oct 22 2009, 10:20 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
For your electric guitar you need an amplifier. A small, low cost, Micro cube, Peavey Rage or Marshall MG should suit you well until you get a hang of it.

Are you twisting the tremolo arm? Should be pushed down towards the body... aim the stick towards the head stock, push it down towards the strings. If that's what you're doing, at the absolute beginning, it's not gived what to do with stuff biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 22 2009, 10:25 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You should check out this series :

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonseries/First-Steps

It will explain lots of things about guitar and some of questions you have here.

Regarding amp, you need it in order to get a sound out of an electric guitar.

15W solid state marshall amp will do the job nicely. Alternatively you could get Pod Studio GX (or UX1 or UX2) depending on your budget. It will allow you as Muris suggested to play on PC. Pod Studio is an external usb audio interface - it will allow you to plug your guitar in it and dial tones inside the PC software and hear them through headphones or PC speakers (you need to plug them in the pod studio interface directly).

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Darknodar123
Oct 23 2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks guys for your great help smile.gif

I talked with one of my friends at school today who has some experience on guitar.I told him the problems i mentioned on this topic.He said that a guitar without an amp is really bad and you better get an amp soon.But from your replies im really confused.Should I buy a good quality amplifier or a Pod Studio GX?

Regarding the Whammy Bar....I install the whammy and it cannot be pushed down towards the body sad.gif

I can only lift it round and round and still doesnt make any sound.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Joruus
Oct 23 2009, 12:31 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Well it really depents on your budget, but i mention the Pod Studio because you probably don't know yet what kind of tone you want, with the pod you can get any kind of tone (it simulates different amps), also you can keep using it when you get better, and you can easaly record with it!
The only drawback is that you need to sit at your computer.

--------------------
Gear:
Guitars: Ibanez Jem 7vwh, Ibanez RG 350 DX, Gibson Les Paul Studio
Effects: Line 6 PODxt + FBV MKII Express pedal
Amp: Line6 SpiderIII 15

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 23 2009, 12:33 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Darknodar123 @ Oct 23 2009, 01:15 PM) *
Thanks guys for your great help smile.gif

I talked with one of my friends at school today who has some experience on guitar.I told him the problems i mentioned on this topic.He said that a guitar without an amp is really bad and you better get an amp soon.But from your replies im really confused.Should I buy a good quality amplifier or a Pod Studio GX?

Regarding the Whammy Bar....I install the whammy and it cannot be pushed down towards the body sad.gif

I can only lift it round and round and still doesnt make any sound.

Thing with POD Studio Gx is that it allows you to simulate a guitar amp/cabs on your PC. It's dependent on your PC and you need to connect some sort of speakers to it (PC Speakers or Headphones). For that connection you will possibly need some sort of adapter depending what you are connecting. If you like to practice by your PC and have good speakers system already then Pod Studio may be a cool option. It allows you to dial in cool guitar sounds on it (PC software controls that) and you can make good recordings.

On the other hand you have a guitar amp. I like to practice on my bass amp instead on Pod studio because I don't want to be dependent on my PC and I got used to practicing on amp. Guitar amp will sound good and server the practice well. Only downside I see to it is that you'll need a recording solution later on if you wish to record your playing and also price compared to pod studio.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Nadir
Oct 23 2009, 01:07 PM
Learning Roadie
I don't have amp, I have line 6 toneport GX connected to my computer (over USB port), and with good speakers I am sure it will fit your needs as beginner (software that comes with it has a lot of amp simulators and various effects). I believe that it is better to give your money for such interface, because you will be able to record yourself, you will have metronome etc.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:23 AM