2 Pages V   1 2 >  
I Need To Vent Some Anger!
Ryan
Sep 17 2007, 12:02 PM
GMC:er
DAMN VIBRATO, BENDING OR NOT. Ahhh people say Sweeping is the hardest techqniue to get down. I think its a total lie. VIBRATO IS DEFNITLY HARDER. OMG i cant get this vibrato right. Especailly The bending. I dont kno wif im even doing it right. I have nobody here telling me if its correct. Its kind of hard to just copy Marcus, or Pavel or anybody. I know that its finger+wrist movement. I can do the Wrist when not bending, but i can only do the finger while bending. Its so fricking hard. I cant figure it out. I cant get it. like 2 months practice so far, MAYBE EVEN MORE. I lost count. I cant even do vibrato. What the hell. OMG.

Ahh this pisses me off so much. After so long practicing, just doing note by note kind of thing. Trying to atleast get a vibrato sound type thing going. I cant even do that just with 1 note. The bending string vibrato. I honestly think i will ever get it unless I get some major help on it. So Live teacher. I wont ever have 1 though. Damn I love vibrato, but cant pull it off at all. After practicing so long. Youd think i would have somehwat of a vibrato going. NOOO omg. I can pull off a decent sweep after a month. Cant even pull of vibrato after FOREVER. and ill sit here and practice for like 30 mins to an hour, just playign like 1 note tryign to get the soudn going. NOPE cant do that. I also practice it while playing. It makes me feel better pretending that i can do it, just by moving my hand back and forth.

I honestly think I wont ever get it down. But hey its always worht a shot.

Nice talking you guys later on!!!

IM embarrased posting this, but htis is what i got so far with vibrato pracitcing for so long.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ryan: Sep 17 2007, 12:12 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Video_17.avi ( 5.14MB ) Number of downloads: 155

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ayen
Sep 17 2007, 12:22 PM
Sadly, I can't see the video, it just comes off as sound for me.

But don't forget, it's been said that Vibrato is very hard to get down, I haven't even gotten near acceptable non-bend vibrato.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ayen: Sep 17 2007, 12:26 PM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 17 2007, 12:24 PM
QUOTE (Ayen @ Sep 17 2007, 06:22 AM) *
Maybe posting a video of your issue would help?

And don't forget, it's been said that Vibrato is very hard to get down, I haven't even gotten near acceptable non-bend vibrato.

Edit: Nevermind, missed that video.

I record it as a video, but it never shows up as one. sad.gif It its very very true about not getting it down.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RobM
Sep 17 2007, 12:30 PM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Sep 17 2007, 07:02 AM) *
DAMN VIBRATO, BENDING OR NOT. Ahhh people say Sweeping is the hardest techqniue to get down. I think its a total lie. VIBRATO IS DEFNITLY HARDER. OMG i cant get this vibrato right. Especailly The bending. I dont kno wif im even doing it right. I have nobody here telling me if its correct. Its kind of hard to just copy Marcus, or Pavel or anybody. I know that its finger+wrist movement. I can do the Wrist when not bending, but i can only do the finger while bending. Its so fricking hard. I cant figure it out. I cant get it. like 2 months practice so far, MAYBE EVEN MORE. I lost count. I cant even do vibrato. What the hell. OMG.

Ahh this pisses me off so much. After so long practicing, just doing note by note kind of thing. Trying to atleast get a vibrato sound type thing going. I cant even do that just with 1 note. The bending string vibrato. I honestly think i will ever get it unless I get some major help on it. So Live teacher. I wont ever have 1 though. Damn I love vibrato, but cant pull it off at all. After practicing so long. Youd think i would have somehwat of a vibrato going. NOOO omg. I can pull off a decent sweep after a month. Cant even pull of vibrato after FOREVER. and ill sit here and practice for like 30 mins to an hour, just playign like 1 note tryign to get the soudn going. NOPE cant do that. I also practice it while playing. It makes me feel better pretending that i can do it, just by moving my hand back and forth.

I honestly think I wont ever get it down. But hey its always worht a shot.

Nice talking you guys later on!!!

IM embarrased posting this, but htis is what i got so far with vibrato pracitcing for so long.

Your video comes off as a download instead of a watch it. Sorry but I never download anything into my computer that I don't know.

Well I would never have been any where near where I am (and that's not too far yet) without the help from my music teacher. I go see him every week for an hour and he helps me learn what I'm supposed to know, but better yet, he helps me hear what I'm supposed to sound like and he's a really strict person when it comes to getting something down right using the metronome. Untill I get it it really good with the metronome he won't let me go on to something new.

A little while ago I had learned a song from the book I was learning out of (getting ready to go to a new book soon) and I thought I had it down pat, I was using the metronome and everything. When I got to my class he said, play it for me, as I was going through he kept on circling sections of it I was getting wrong. When i was done he was saying here you missed this note, or didn't hold it long enough or here you should play it like this, then he would show me.

IMHO, the lessons here are great and all, but nothing beats having a teacher in person. I've learned so much from my teacher and I have so much else to learn that it's incredible. I even take things from here and show him what I'm trying to do and/or humm it and he helps correct what I'm doing if we have time to go over it.

Just a thought but, You might benefit from a weekly class from a good teacher to? If nothing else he/she can help you in places where you get stuck and be a sounding board that helps you get everything you want to play tight.

This post has been edited by RobM: Sep 17 2007, 12:32 PM

--------------------
You wish.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 17 2007, 12:35 PM
QUOTE (RobM @ Sep 17 2007, 06:30 AM) *
Your video comes off as a download instead of a watch it. Sorry but I never download anything into my computer that I don't know.

Well I would never have been any where near where I am (and that's not too far yet) without the help from my music teacher. I go see him every week for an hour and he helps me learn what I'm supposed to know, but better yet, he helps me hear what I'm supposed to sound like and he's a really strict person when it comes to getting something down right using the metronome. Untill I get it it really good with the metronome he won't let me go on to something new.

A little while ago I had learned a song from the book I was learning out of (getting ready to go to a new book soon) and I thought I had it down pat, I was using the metronome and everything. When I got to my class he said, play it for me, as I was going through he kept on circling sections of it I was getting wrong. When i was done he was saying here you missed this note, or didn't hold it long enough or here you should play it like this, then he would show me.

IMHO, the lessons here are great and all, but nothing beats having a teacher in person. I've learned so much from my teacher and I have so much else to learn that it's incredible. I even take things from here and show him what I'm trying to do and/or humm it and he helps correct what I'm doing if we have time to go over it.

Just a thought but, You might benefit from a weekly class from a good teacher to? If nothing else he/she can help you in places where you get stuck and be a sounding board that helps you get everything you want to play tight.

yeah I wish we had a really good one here. there is a guy Randy, but umm hes well. Like a metallica cover band guy. Average type of guitar player. I dont htink he could help me pull off a vibrato like Marcus's!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungus
Sep 17 2007, 12:43 PM
Hey Ryan I cant help you at all (im just a nosey bugger and like to check out other peoples uploads) but I thought I would just let ya know that I get both the image and sound playing your video through BS player

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 17 2007, 12:51 PM
QUOTE (Hungus @ Sep 17 2007, 06:43 AM) *
Hey Ryan I cant help you at all (im just a nosey bugger and like to check out other peoples uploads) but I thought I would just let ya know that I get both the image and sound playing your video through BS player

Aweosme well i just made another video, and i woudl lik to check you out. I think the way im going abou tiwht vibrato right now, si a BB king way. I DONT WANT THAT VIBRATO. I want one like Marcus's. Damn this sucks!! But here is the other video of me acutally doing it with the camera facing the fretbaord

O YEAH, forgot to mention i know for a fact, that im not donig the bending vibrato right, but yeah.

This post has been edited by Ryan: Sep 17 2007, 12:55 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Video_17.avi ( 4.05MB ) Number of downloads: 148

--------------------

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 17 2007, 01:34 PM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Sep 17 2007, 07:51 AM) *
Aweosme well i just made another video, and i woudl lik to check you out. I think the way im going abou tiwht vibrato right now, si a BB king way. I DONT WANT THAT VIBRATO. I want one like Marcus's. Damn this sucks!! But here is the other video of me acutally doing it with the camera facing the fretbaord

O YEAH, forgot to mention i know for a fact, that im not donig the bending vibrato right, but yeah.

Im like the other's,still just got audio and no video. sad.gif Best thing i can tell you is develp the best ear you can because its one of the keys to a good vibrato as your bending anote off and on to an EXACT pitch.If your off if a hair it wont sound right.For me though i cant say vibrato is harder than sweep,maybe harder than slow sweeps but no way can doing a vibrato like in Marcus video's can be harder than pulling off lighting fast sweeps up and down the whole neck atleast for me.

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 17 2007, 01:45 PM
QUOTE (shredmandan @ Sep 17 2007, 07:34 AM) *
Im like the other's,still just got audio and no video. sad.gif Best thing i can tell you is develp the best ear you can because its one of the keys to a good vibrato as your bending anote off and on to an EXACT pitch.If your off if a hair it wont sound right.For me though i cant say vibrato is harder than sweep,maybe harder than slow sweeps but no way can doing a vibrato like in Marcus video's can be harder than pulling off lighting fast sweeps up and down the whole neck atleast for me.

I can play them at alright speeds, nothign like Malmsteen but then again. You cant just pick up the guitar, and play at lighting fast speed either, but it isnt really HARD, to build up to that. Because well you practice with the metrenome, adn slowly go up. And youl get faster, and usually it comes natural and over time after a while. vibrato doesnt come natural. Atleast not for me!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
KRmachine
Sep 17 2007, 02:06 PM
Good vibrato is just bending the string in small amounts. Think of it as a repeated small downwards bend that is in time with the music and practice it with a metronome. You should go from the string's starting position, up to the amount of vibrato you want, back, and repeat. DO NOT switch directions, ie up, back to starting, and down, back, up, etc. The correct way is down, back, down, etc. Hope you understand what I mean and that this helps.

+Quote Post
Jenkinson
Sep 17 2007, 02:15 PM
vibrato was probably the first thing that I was able to do... it was just natural. Now, vibrato while bending, thats another story. Ive been playing solid for about 10 months and only now am able to pull it off, and it is not strong yet. Try putting 3 fingers on a string, like Am pentatonic blues on the G string. Now bend, but bend down not up, and then return to the correct pitch. Now do it again a little faster. Once you get it fast, repeat it without stopping and only playing the note once. Its almost 1 here and im exhausted so I hope that came out making sense. I found vibrato down was easier to start with than vibrato up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 17 2007, 02:20 PM
Well see. I know what vibrato is. And how to do it for the most part really, and how to practice it. I just cant pull it off for soem reason. Even playign it slowly. Its to hard for me!!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hungus
Sep 17 2007, 02:52 PM
Just to clear this up 1st, I am in no way shape or form qualified to give advice. But I am going to anyway.

From the video it looks like you dont have much controll maybe because it doesnt look like your really using your thumb much. I find I persionally I get much more control by putting my thumb on the center or even below the center of the fretboard. I just tryed it with my thumb way up high and I had terrible results so maybe thats part of your problem. Also I find I have WAY more control doing a downwards vibrato compared to an upwards but I dunno..

I say again, I am in no way qualified to give advice so just test it out and take it for what it is.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 17 2007, 04:05 PM
Lets go fishing!
Well its hard to see what your doing in that video as its pointing towards your picking hand. Maybe upload another? smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 17 2007, 07:44 PM
I never really practiced vibrato and bends. It just sort of came after ages of playing.

Have you tried Gabriels blues lessons(and the other blues lessons for that matter tongue.gif )? I think they might help.

+Quote Post
JVM
Sep 17 2007, 08:14 PM
Learning Roadie
Yeah try like gabe's blues 2 lesson. If you can get that (and maybe you already can) it'll help. Fairly easy lesson with some good bending.. also try the other blues lessons.

KR Machine: Yeah, the way you described it is the way to do it, considering that going up will only get you the same effect as going back down, except for bending vibrato where you DO need to go both ways, so I'd practice both!

Make sure to practice high on the fretboard and low. I find that the middle around 7-15ish is the best area to bend, but I use 10's. What gauge string do you use?

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 17 2007, 11:48 PM
QUOTE (JVM @ Sep 17 2007, 02:14 PM) *
Yeah try like gabe's blues 2 lesson. If you can get that (and maybe you already can) it'll help. Fairly easy lesson with some good bending.. also try the other blues lessons.

KR Machine: Yeah, the way you described it is the way to do it, considering that going up will only get you the same effect as going back down, except for bending vibrato where you DO need to go both ways, so I'd practice both!

Make sure to practice high on the fretboard and low. I find that the middle around 7-15ish is the best area to bend, but I use 10's. What gauge string do you use?

Yeah already learned them. And there is a seond video on here of me doing vibrato, I think its on my 2nd ot 3rd post.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 18 2007, 12:04 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Sep 17 2007, 02:48 PM) *
Yeah already learned them. And there is a seond video on here of me doing vibrato, I think its on my 2nd ot 3rd post.

Yeah but that video is the same as the other one in your first post blink.gif . Anyways I cant really hear much because its pretty much full of static but on another hand, vibrato is something that cant always just be self taught really. Me guitar teacher introduced me to it so early that Ive used it ever sense and I dont even think about it when im using it.

Joe Satriani uses a excercise that is really simple but helps alot. Go on the High E string and play the 12th fret, then bend a full step and it should sound the same as the 14th fret. This is good for bending into pitch and also once you get good at it use vibrato in your bends aswell. Sounds simple and boring but It really does help. In the start just try to put the smallest amount of vibrato into the bend and slowly increase it all well staying in pitch. Youll be suprised by your progress.

- John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
shredmandan
Sep 18 2007, 12:07 AM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Sep 17 2007, 07:04 PM) *
Yeah but that video is the same as the other one in your first post blink.gif . Anyways I cant really hear much because its pretty much full of static but on another hand, vibrato is something that cant always just be self taught really. Me guitar teacher introduced me to it so early that Ive used it ever sense and I dont even think about it when im using it.
Joe Satriani uses a excercise that is really simple but helps alot. Go on the High E string and play the 12th fret, then bend a full step and it should sound the same as the 14th fret. This is good for bending into pitch and also once you get good at it use vibrato in your bends aswell. Sounds simple and boring but It really does help. In the start just try to put the smallest amount of vibrato into the bend and slowly increase it all well staying in pitch. Youll be suprised by your progress.
- John

Good advice smile.gif
Stuff like this will really help you develop a better ear and improve your accuracy on your bends wink.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Cort X-2 electric with 24 frets and 2 humbucker's dark Blue
Kustom DFX100 With Celestion Speakers,and thats it now (lol)

My Advice
Figure out what you want in life early.Wether it's the girl,the partying
or mastering the guitar.Adding any 2 together will get in your way.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Sep 18 2007, 12:23 AM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Sep 17 2007, 06:04 PM) *
- John

Yeah I already know that, and its not the fact that I cant keep it in pitch. I think really, its the motion. Everybody says back and forth motion, using yoru wrist+finger. and I cant get it!!

And that second video is different. I already have done Joes lesson, and If the video is staticy, its your computer, cus it works fine for me!!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:10 AM