> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Technique And Orchestration With Rated Htr
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 13 2013, 09:55 AM
Instructor
Hey mate! Welcome to your new personal thread!

Since you mentioned them, I'd suggest we focus on legato and sweeps as techniques, while talking about writing grooves and orchestrating in general in parallel. I noticed on your Youtube channel, that you usually record yourself against the already recorded lead tracks - I'd like to cultivate your senses in the direction of not recording yourself like that anymore, but using the backing instead and becoming confident in your own playing without any crutches smile.gif How does that sound to you?

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Mar 13 2013, 10:22 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Hello smile.gif

The reason I never did that to begin with is because I'm a very bad producer. I've always wanted to learn to mix and master things to a decent degree however, I'm here because I'm willing to start simple and focus on the basics if I have to, so I'm good with that smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 13 2013, 10:34 AM
Instructor
That's awesome man - it's a lot to write, so I think I'll make a movie in which I will try to outline the most important aspects, as I see them, in this direction. I am FAR from being a knowledgeable person in the field, as what i do I do by ear and out of experience smile.gif

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Mar 13 2013, 11:18 AM
Experienced Rock Star
Ok, Looking foward to it smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 13 2013, 02:45 PM
Instructor
Here we go! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Mar 13 2013, 05:41 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Awesome mate, I'll record a video too in a bit smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Mar 13 2013, 06:57 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Here you go man smile.gif

And here's the link to the topic I mention in the video:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=24544

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 14 2013, 11:50 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I have watched the vid and I am pondering on what direction we should take smile.gif Video answer coming up in the morning biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Mar 15 2013, 06:56 PM

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Mar 15 2013, 08:44 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Hey man, while I'm waiting I decided to try doing a quick REC video, saw this lesson today done by someone else and just went ahead and learned it and recorded it, I always play worse when I record and I know it D: Looking foward to hearing your comments, be as picky as you can plz biggrin.gif

EDIT: Didn't notice you edited the post laugh.gif Gonna watch and than I'll let you know smile.gif

EDIT POST VIDEO:

Ok, Since it's night it's harder for me to record a video so I'm just gonna resume.

1. Regarding my djenty compositions, I sent you one on my second PM I believe called "Dream of a Shadow"

https://soundcloud.com/filipemiguelrocha/dr...of-a-shadow-raw

I started tabbing it better on Guitar Pro and uploaded a midi file of what I have so far and what I changed in the previous recording

https://soundcloud.com/filipe-rocha-4/dream...hadow-midi-demo

2. My approach to it is pretty much just thinking outside the box, I just try to play with different chord variations and if I find a chord I like I try to do a different voicing to create other aspects since I like the ambience part of djent.

I learned mostly my djent stuff from my previous band Clutter although I don't like the hardcore side of it but rather more the melodic side of it so It's usually simpler for me to do Ballads.

I usually come up with the guitar parts first than try to develop drums to it, Bass I limit myself to playing roots and some licks between spaces.

3. Going with a non academic approach is fine with me smile.gif

4. I am pretty much a more riff kinda guy but that's basically because I don't consider my technique well enough to play most of the soloing styles that I like the most also, for example, I have loads of trouble recording harder stuff so I usually just practice them everyday but when I click the record button, it just seems like I lose too much focus.

Overall I think I haven't forgotten anything smile.gif

This post has been edited by Rated Htr: Mar 15 2013, 09:22 PM

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 16 2013, 11:31 AM
Instructor
Hey Filipe smile.gif

I also listened to Titanium and closely to Dream of a Shadow - I like both and it is clear to me that both you and I have similar instincts towards writing which is good I think laugh.gif

In any case, one thing that I have noticed about Dream of a Shadow is that it's a bit repetitive, in terms of dynamics - for me, a song should have ups and downs and be like a journey for the listener smile.gif Have you ever put yourself into the shoes of the listener the second day after coming up with a riff or song idea? If you can do that, it's usually very productive, but take care not to be over critical and never get things finished.

I think that the best thing at this stage, would be for you to start working on your own ideas and share them with me so that I may be your listener smile.gif I can't tell you how to orchestrate or write if I don't have terms of comparison on one hand and because you and you alone know what you want to transmit - I can only confirm that I received a message through your music, or not, so I think that this would be the best approach in this field.

Otherwise, regarding riffing and lead playing, I suggest that I will provide a selection of lessons from GMC, oriented towards modern riffing and lead playing so that you may pick up new ideas and keep your vocabulary and technique in constant motion. Later on you may adapt ideas learned here and make them your own smile.gif

Hoe does all this sound to you?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Mar 16 2013, 02:01 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Hey Cosmin,

It all sounds good to me smile.gif Bring on the lessons, I'm just about to post another REC one while I was waiting so yeah, that way I won't be to selective laugh.gif

Regarding approaching the song as a listener, I usually do that the problem is that I know it's like that because of the chord progression and I struggle to break away from it without using the old cliche routines such as jumping 3rds and stuff like that, also regarding djent to be honest, I don't know what to do without doing one of those odd rhythmic placings that is basically hitting the same note pratically.

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 17 2013, 03:57 PM
Instructor
Alright my friend!

I think that even if it's a shameless plug biggrin.gif We can start with my modern metal lessons tongue.gif and regarding lead playing, I think it is best to begin with the soulful bending/ vibrato based ones.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Metal-Metrics-1/ 2,3,4,5,6 are at the bottom of the page - which one do you like best? smile.gif

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The-Vo...Of-Your-Guitar/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The-Vo...-Your-Guitar-2/

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Mar 17 2013, 04:12 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Hey Cosmin smile.gif

Regarding the Metal Metrics, just to let you know the ones I like the most are 1 and 6 but, I'll try to do them all since all of them have elements I like and things to work on smile.gif

I'll try to upload a take on the Voice of your Guitar today or tomorrow if that's ok smile.gif

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 17 2013, 07:33 PM
Instructor
Sounds like a plan brother!!

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Mar 18 2013, 03:51 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Hey Cosmin smile.gif

As promised here's a take for today and some notes.

I'm honestly disappointed with myself. I've fallen in the habit of always bending with vibrato and feel that without vibrato, the true colours of my bends are appearing so I feel the need to work on that as well.
I learnt the lesson by ear as usual and there are some slight nuances on that lesson which I might have ignored although I tried my best to mimic your fast slides and string changing bends but overall, I feel it needs more work.
I might have also been a bit agressive on my approach to this lesson in the video, not sure if it's just my nature or because of that recording phase that I enter into.
Let me know what you think, I won't submit this one to REC until I'm satisfied with it smile.gif

Also forgot to do a slide when the octave part is going to start, silly me laugh.gif

Also I'm setting up my room to be able to record, even though I accidently miscalculated the wall and recorded my light switch laugh.gif If you have any suggestions for that, also let me know

Cheers smile.gif

This post has been edited by Rated Htr: Mar 18 2013, 03:51 PM

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Mar 18 2013, 08:40 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Here's a take on Metal Metrics with my notes and a funny ending laugh.gif

Notes:
Really liked to learn this lesson by ear although I found multiple ways to do those legato fills so I'm not sure the one in the video is the one you really do so let me know about it. Also I know I have 1 or 2 dead notes but I just wanted to show you what I did today so you can keep tracking it, I'll work more on it tomorrow smile.gif

BTW, if you think it sounds weird sometimes, it's because of the pitch shift I applied to get the drop C sound but since I'm using the mic cam to record, you hear me hit the strings of the guitar laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Rated Htr: Mar 19 2013, 12:49 AM

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 19 2013, 03:44 PM
Instructor
laugh.gif Hey man! biggrin.gif Nice takes - you are on the yellow brick road! here are some comments and ideas wink.gif

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Mar 20 2013, 01:32 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Hey man, thanks for the kind words smile.gif

I'll record a video either today or tomorrow from the voice of your guitar again, probably tomorrow since today I have work to do.

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 20 2013, 09:51 PM
Instructor
Always glad to help! No rush mate - this sort of stuff takes a little time to settle in wink.gif

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Mar 21 2013, 04:39 PM
Experienced Rock Star
Hey Cosmin, here's a video for you of my current activities and lots of talking laugh.gif

EDIT: if it's not available, just give it some time cause it's processing smile.gif

P.S: I really have to stop looking at the camera when I'm playing xD

P.S.2: when I said my pinky was not good to mute I meant to pull off and hammer on

It got removed cause it was too long, have to upload it again :/ Sorry...I'll do a new post when it's up

This post has been edited by Rated Htr: Mar 21 2013, 05:03 PM

--------------------
Currently Practicing

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:34 PM