Any Vst Compatible With Any Recording Software
playaxeman
Jan 2 2009, 08:55 AM
Learning Rock Star
He GMC

I am about to buy a recording tool i can use to record myself playing over a backing track. Just for learning purpose
But in the future i want to be able to make some (simple) backing with drums, bass myself.

My questions are

1) Are VST like a bass or drumtool, that are free on the web, always working with all kind of recording software? What limitations are there?

2) If you make a Guitarpro tab with guitar, bass and drums can you import and play this in any kind of recording tool as if it was a real instrument. Is there somewhere a tuturial on CMG how this is working?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 combo

Effects
Korg Pandora PX5D, Line 6 Pod XT Live

Recording
Guitar Rig 5, Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000, Magix MusicMaker2008

Visit My Website

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Jan 2 2009, 09:22 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
The VSTs I have work in several DAW programs, so I would say that they are pretty universal (both others certainly know more about this smile.gif).

As long as the DAW you are buying has the functionality to import a midi-file it should be fine to import the GuitarPro transcriptions of the instruments (you have to export them from GuitarPro to a midi-file first).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jan 2 2009, 10:57 AM
Instructor
I use Sonar 7 producer edition and 90% of VST instruments work properly. Some don't and I don't know why.

About the GP files, Velvet said it right. You have to export the midi file and then assign new sounds in your recording software. I don't think it's very handy to program drums in Guitar Pro but as far as your question is concerned, yes it is possible.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 2 2009, 11:01 AM
Instructor
VST's are free everywhere on the net and they are capable of working with most recording software.
I want to be very careful when saying ANY since I haven't tried them nor used every software out there!

If you get Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, Pro Tools etc - all these will allow you to use ANY VST in them.

Now regarding your 2nd question...

When you write instruments in Guitar pro, you need to Export them as Midi - like on the picture Velvet Roger explained above.

After you have done that , you need to open your recording software (in my case Nuendo) and Add Midi tracks.
Lets say you have 3 instruments , guitar bass and drums - well you need to add 3 midi tracks.
When you have done that, go to VST instruments (F11 or F12 I believe is a shortcut in Nuendo for it) and then just click and activate VST's that you want. After that you should IMPORT your Midi file that you saved in Guitar pro (File , Import , Midi file).
Your tracks will be there now , all you need is to Assign specific VST to each track, and you can do that on the left side of the track where you have IN and OUT specified for sound. There you need to select specific VST as both IN and OUT and you will be all set.

Hope that helps - its a process but its well worth it!

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Jan 2 2009, 11:08 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ Jan 2 2009, 09:22 AM) *
The VSTs I have work in several DAW programs, so I would say that they are pretty universal (both others certainly know more about this smile.gif).

As long as the DAW you are buying has the functionality to import a midi-file it should be fine to import the GuitarPro transcriptions of the instruments (you have to export them from GuitarPro to a midi-file first).

HI velvet Roger

Very good screenshot

Thx

QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Jan 2 2009, 10:57 AM) *
I use Sonar 7 producer edition and 90% of VST instruments work properly. Some don't and I don't know why.

About the GP files, Velvet said it right. You have to export the midi file and then assign new sounds in your recording software. I don't think it's very handy to program drums in Guitar Pro but as far as your question is concerned, yes it is possible.

Thx Emir

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 2 2009, 11:01 AM) *
VST's are free everywhere on the net and they are capable of working with most recording software.
I want to be very careful when saying ANY since I haven't tried them nor used every software out there!

If you get Cubase, Nuendo, Logic, Pro Tools etc - all these will allow you to use ANY VST in them.

Now regarding your 2nd question...

When you write instruments in Guitar pro, you need to Export them as Midi - like on the picture Velvet Roger explained above.

After you have done that , you need to open your recording software (in my case Nuendo) and Add Midi tracks.
Lets say you have 3 instruments , guitar bass and drums - well you need to add 3 midi tracks.
When you have done that, go to VST instruments (F11 or F12 I believe is a shortcut in Nuendo for it) and then just click and activate VST's that you want. After that you should IMPORT your Midi file that you saved in Guitar pro (File , Import , Midi file).
Your tracks will be there now , all you need is to Assign specific VST to each track, and you can do that on the left side of the track where you have IN and OUT specified for sound. There you need to select specific VST as both IN and OUT and you will be all set.

Hope that helps - its a process but its well worth it!

smile.gif

He Pedja,

Did know i had to make 3 tracks. But i make sense now.

Have to experiment a little with it.

Good information. Very helpful.

Thx a lot.

p.s Maybe a wiki article about this subject can be very helpful for al of us.

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars
Music Man Luke BFR , Music Man JP LTD 2008, Paul Reed Smith Santana III, Gibson Les Paul, Ovation Adamas, Ovation Ultra

Amps

Effects

Recording

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 2 2009, 11:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Jan 2 2009, 11:08 AM) *
He Pedja,

Did know i had to make 3 tracks. But i make sense now.

Have to experiment a little with it.

Good information. Very helpful.

Thx a lot.

p.s Maybe a wiki article about this subject can be very helpful for al of us.

No problem , glad I could help man.

I will look into writing some Wiki article but I am pretty sure there will be some Software tutorials done on this really soon!
That should make it even easier since you will see everything via Video Lesson and shown wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Jan 2 2009, 11:18 AM
Learning Rock Star
A lesson that will be great biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars

Amps

Effects

Recording

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 2 2009, 11:25 AM
Instructor
I believe Ivan will be doing that soon. If he doesnt I will do one as I feel like yourself that its essential part of recording process smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jan 2 2009, 12:29 PM
Singing Instructor
HI,well if you are Steinberg user(Nuendo,Cubase)every VST will work fine.Steinberg invented Virtual Studio Technology(VST),so there DAW-s are extremelly compatible.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Jan 2 2009, 01:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 2 2009, 11:01 AM) *

VST plugins are not working in ProTools, unles you have a VST to RTAS adapter (such as FXpansion), since ProTools works only with RTAS plugins smile.gif

When speaking about VST plugins there are three kinds:

1. VSTi (VST Instrument) that generates audio according to samples or synthesis (bass, piano, keys..)
2. VST effect - such as compressor, reverb, delay.. (for applying on audio tracks)
3. VST MIDI effects, for MIDI effects

VST was developed by Stainberg and can be used in the following host programs: Ableton Live, Cubase, Nuendo, FL Studio, Reaper and Sonar

--------------------

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Jan 2 2009, 01:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 2 2009, 11:25 AM) *
I believe Ivan will be doing that soon. If he doesnt I will do one as I feel like yourself that its essential part of recording process smile.gif

I can´t wait. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Nemanja Filipovic @ Jan 2 2009, 12:29 PM) *
HI,well if you are Steinberg user(Nuendo,Cubase)every VST will work fine.Steinberg invented Virtual Studio Technology(VST),so there DAW-s are extremelly compatible.

Nemanja,

The problem is that i haven´t figured out yet what recording application i want/need. It is quit difficult to choose one if you don't know all the in /out.

Do you know it also work with "Sequel"?

QUOTE (Dejan Farkas @ Jan 2 2009, 01:03 PM) *
VST plugins are not working in ProTools, unles you have a VST to RTAS adapter (such as FXpansion), since ProTools works only with RTAS plugins smile.gif

When speaking about VST plugins there are three kinds:

1. VSTi (VST Instrument) that generates audio according to samples or synthesis (bass, piano, keys..)
2. VST effect - such as compressor, reverb, delay.. (for applying on audio tracks)
3. VST MIDI effects, for MIDI effects

VST was developed by Stainberg and can be used in the following host programs: Ableton Live, Cubase, Nuendo, FL Studio, Reaper and Sonar

He Dejan,

This is interesting i didn't know this.

FL = Fruity Loop?

Thx very much for your update!!

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars

Amps

Effects

Recording

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Jan 2 2009, 01:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Jan 2 2009, 01:22 PM) *
He Dejan,

This is interesting i didn't know this.

FL = Fruity Loop?

Thx very much for your update!!

Yes, it's Fruity Loops

You're welcome smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Jan 2 2009, 03:42 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Dejan Farkas @ Jan 2 2009, 01:59 PM) *
Yes, it's Fruity Loops

You're welcome smile.gif

Dejan,

Ok

I have found out that VST(i) don't work on Steinbergs "Sequel" it is a closed program

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars

Amps

Effects

Recording

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
Carlos Carrillo
Jan 2 2009, 04:11 PM
Instructor
Hey!! Try with the EZ drummer for the drums! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jan 2 2009, 05:32 PM
Singing Instructor
I would recomed Nuendo or Cubase,they are a bit expenmcive,but you would have every thing you need when it comes to reccording.VST technology offers so much when it comes to home recording.Pro Tools is more of "big studio" DAW.Also good thing with Cubase or Nuendo is that you have so much VST instruments choice.
So I recomend Nuendo or Cubase.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 2 2009, 05:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Jan 2 2009, 08:55 AM) *
He GMC

I am about to buy a recording tool i can use to record myself playing over a backing track. Just for learning purpose
But in the future i want to be able to make some (simple) backing with drums, bass myself.

My questions are

1) Are VST like a bass or drumtool, that are free on the web, always working with all kind of recording software? What limitations are there?

2) If you make a Guitarpro tab with guitar, bass and drums can you import and play this in any kind of recording tool as if it was a real instrument. Is there somewhere a tuturial on CMG how this is working?

1) Yes mate, VST is the technology that is supported by many mainstream DAW environments for Windows OS. Free DAW is Reaper, and it is good for starters, but there are other DAWs like Nuendo, Logic and Protools that are industry standards, and they all support VST technology, including Reaper of course. VST software comes in the form of a plugin or standalone software or both. Plugin software can be use only within DAW software, like Reaper. Many VST software can be today used in standalone mode as well, like for example Steinberg Grand 2 Piano VST Instrument. You can use it as standalone piano in windows to play the MIDI notes for your controller live, or you can use it as a plugin in DAW to play MIDI tracks.

Unfortunately, VST software is often quite expensive, so there's that old saying "what you pay is what you get". Some free VST drums that you can check out are hammer and drumatic ve, and for bass 4frontbass and taurus.

2) There is no need for tutorial mate. If you have MIDI in guitar pro, just go File>Export>MIDI.. and import that MIDI file into DAW. Then assign the VST instruments to related tracks.

I'm recording tutorials on these things currently, so hopefully I will get things cleared up a bit once and for all:

- Using your PC for music production
- Nuendo Tutorial Series
- EZDrummer tutorial

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
playaxeman
Jan 2 2009, 06:02 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 2 2009, 05:44 PM) *
1) Yes mate, VST is the technology that is supported by many mainstream DAW environments for Windows OS. Free DAW is Reaper, and it is good for starters, but there are other DAWs like Nuendo, Logic and Protools that are industry standards, and they all support VST technology, including Reaper of course. VST software comes in the form of a plugin or standalone software or both. Plugin software can be use only within DAW software, like Reaper. Many VST software can be today used in standalone mode as well, like for example Steinberg Grand 2 Piano VST Instrument. You can use it as standalone piano in windows to play the MIDI notes for your controller live, or you can use it as a plugin in DAW to play MIDI tracks.

Unfortunately, VST software is often quite expensive, so there's that old saying "what you pay is what you get". Some free VST drums that you can check out are hammer and drumatic ve, and for bass 4frontbass and taurus.

2) There is no need for tutorial mate. If you have MIDI in guitar pro, just go File>Export>MIDI.. and import that MIDI file into DAW. Then assign the VST instruments to related tracks.

I'm recording tutorials on these things currently, so hopefully I will get things cleared up a bit once and for all:

- Using your PC for music production
- Nuendo Tutorial Series
- EZDrummer tutorial

Hi Ivan,

"2) There is no need for tutorial mate. If you have MIDI in guitar pro, just go File>Export>MIDI.. and import that MIDI file into DAW. Then assign the VST instruments to related tracks."

It rather easer than i thought biggrin.gif

Looking forward to your tutor. Unfortunately i don't have Steinberg CUBASE 4 Nuendo? sad.gif

Thx for this info, very helpful

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars

Amps

Effects

Recording

Visit My Website

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 2 2009, 06:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (playaxeman @ Jan 2 2009, 06:02 PM) *
Hi Ivan,

"2) There is no need for tutorial mate. If you have MIDI in guitar pro, just go File>Export>MIDI.. and import that MIDI file into DAW. Then assign the VST instruments to related tracks."

It rather easer than i thought biggrin.gif

Looking forward to your tutor. Unfortunately i don't have Steinberg CUBASE 4 Nuendo? sad.gif

Thx for this info, very helpful

No prob mate, anytime. smile.gif Regarding Reaper, I'm sure someone can do Reaper tutorial here as well, so I will get back to you on this matter after I talk to some people that are power users or Reaper.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:19 PM