Anyone Familiar With Bareknuckle Pickups?, need help with Pickups for a Les Paul
ZakkWylde
Sep 24 2008, 07:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
So I might be able to get a great deal on a Gibson Les Paul Standard and I'll need a new pair of Pickups for it. The installed burstbucker pro pickups are a bit too vintage sounding for my taste and putting in Alnico II pickusp by Seymour Duncan (Like Slash has on his guitar) would make the guitar great for Rock but not heavy enough for Metal.

DiMarzio makes no pickups that would fit my sound needs and my favourites; the EMGs are a little too much Metal for my desired sound plus I want my Les Paul to have passive Pickups this time. The sound I want is like the tone I get from a Seymour Duncan Sh5/Sh4 in the bridge and a sh-1 in the neck; great Rock tones and heavy enough for Metal on the bridge and on the Neck I can shred aswell as get a great clean tone. I want this kind of tone but not the noisy Seymour Duncans so I looked into handwounded Bareknuckle Pickups as I hear they are like better Seymour Duncan Pickups.

Which Bareknuckle Bridge Pickups will give a Les Paul Standard a great Rock tone (GnR style) and also a good but not too heavy Metal tone (Megadeth Style)? Must have good mids and great high for soloing aswell as a punchy low end that fits for a Les Paul and is not too muddy. The Neck pickup must have a good clean tone (alone and combined with the bridge pickup when both are on) and give me a good lead tone for shredding and soloing. I don't know which Bareknuckle pickups sounds like but if anyone knows which combination will handle my specs, please let me know!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Sep 24 2008, 07:37 PM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
at lights end
Sep 24 2008, 07:40 PM
GMC:er
miracle man set?

if i were you id email tim of bareknuckle. he'll definitely be able to tell you.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.”

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 24 2008, 07:44 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (at lights end @ Sep 24 2008, 08:40 PM) *
miracle man set?

if i were you id email tim of bareknuckle. he'll definitely be able to tell you.

I didn't know they take care of each customer and give personal advice! Thanks, I'll ask them at Bareknuckle pickups but I still want you suggestions so keep them coming.

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Sep 24 2008, 08:10 PM
Hm, I got a Les Paul Standard with Burstbuckers in it - I do believe they're higher output than most Gibson pick ups, I did a AB test with a LP Custom and my LP Standard with Burstbuckers. The Burstbuckers have a lot of bite. I would think twice about hacking up a nice LP =)

I can send you samples of what they sound like with gain CRANKED and with very little gain...

This post has been edited by fatb0t: Sep 24 2008, 08:12 PM

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Sep 24 2008, 08:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (fatb0t @ Sep 24 2008, 09:10 PM) *
Hm, I got a Les Paul Standard with Burstbuckers in it - I do believe they're higher output than most Gibson pick ups, I did a AB test with a LP Custom and my LP Standard with Burstbuckers. The Burstbuckers have a lot of bite. I would think twice about hacking up a nice LP =)

I can send you samples of what they sound like with gain CRANKED and with very little gain...

I just cranked the hell out of a Marshall JVM halfstack at a store with the guitar and the pickups are not bad but try the same guitar with another pair of pickups and all hell brakes loose (They had one with burstbuckers and one with a Sh5/sh1 by Seymour Duncan and the modified Les Paul Standard wiped the floor with the Burstbucker One). And as I always hear that Bareknuckles are even better than Seymour Duncans I don't want to imagine how awesome It'll sound!
Burstbuckers are Great for Rock and Blues but they are not hot enough for Metal imo

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Sep 24 2008, 08:31 PM
Hm I gotta look into those - maybe put some in my axe. Let me know about your results man

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 24 2008, 09:59 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
I've got the Bareknuckle Nailbomb Pickups in my Gibson, and they're absolutely fantastic smile.gif

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Sep 25 2008, 06:19 AM
Instructor
Try to ask a question about Bare Knuckle to Joe Kataldo, he's an endorser. Good luck!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Sep 26 2008, 12:17 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I know that Jon (Iced Earth) is using some of those pickups, but I have to admit that I am not sure which models. I am using burstbuckers myself in some of my Les Pauls and I really love their tone, but if you want a pickup that is a bit more metal (but not too metal smile.gif ) you could try the Gibson 498T / 490R combination, it rules big time, is passive, and definitely rocks a bit more than the burstbuckers. The big advantage here is, you can go to your local store, grab a Les Paul and really hear the pickups yourself, they are using in most Les Paul Studios and many Standards and Customs.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:42 AM