Left Pinky Finger Swelling., Tendonitis??
razman
Mar 30 2009, 11:25 PM
GMC:er
I have never had this before but I have swelling in my fretting hand in my little finger. I have not seen a doctor yet but have been doing some research on this and I can't tell if it is tendonitis or not. Maybe it is just muscle fatigue. I stopped playing for a couple of days and it went away but then I tried yesterday and after a three hour session it was back. I need some advice about how long to practice and take breaks or just in general. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars
Ibanez JS signature fitted with the GK2 pickup
PRS Classic
Music Man Stingray 5 Bass

Recording
Amplitube X-Gear, Metal, Amplitube 2
I have no amp at this time due to moving from the US and they lost (or someome stole) my Rocktron Prophesy.
Sonar 8 Producer, Ableton Live 7

Effects
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Line 6 Delay Modeler
Roland GR-20 Guitar Synth
I also have a Rocktron G100 but no AC adapter for it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 31 2009, 12:27 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I don't think its serious but you have to stop and consult a doctor if you can.You should make brakes every 30-60 minutes for at least 10 minutes.Also you MUST warm up for 15 minutes before every practice session especially long ones.3 hours a day is a very long and demanding session..There are no rules about how maximum practice time.Drink lots of water and make brakes as often as you can.Also see if you are holding the instrument properly or somehow hurting your left pinky by some exercises..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
razman
Mar 31 2009, 01:17 AM
Attached ImageAttached Image

QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Mar 31 2009, 09:27 AM) *
I don't think its serious but you have to stop and consult a doctor if you can.You should make brakes every 30-60 minutes for at least 10 minutes.Also you MUST warm up for 15 minutes before every practice session especially long ones.3 hours a day is a very long and demanding session..There are no rules about how maximum practice time.Drink lots of water and make brakes as often as you can.Also see if you are holding the instrument properly or somehow hurting your left pinky by some exercises..

I always have my thumb behind the neck and my left arm down freely swinging. You say warm up do you mean play simple things or stretch please define. I will take more breaks in the future Thanks for the advice on that. I will also increase driniking water.

--------------------
Guitars
PRS Classic

Recording
I have no amp at this time due to moving from the US and they lost (or someome stole) my Rocktron Prophesy.

Effects
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Line 6 Delay Modeler

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 31 2009, 07:01 AM
Oh maaan.. mellow.gif you NEED to do warm up every time you want to play, if you don`t want hurt your self. That`s good warmup smile.gif
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-marcus-siepen/

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 31 2009, 07:35 PM
Instructor
When you practice, it is best to play slower stuff in first 30 minutes, so your muscles can warm up and stretch properly for the rest of the session, just like when you train something. Take it easy and wait couple of more days, and keep it slow, and if the problem persists, go to doctor and see what he has to say about it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kjutte
Mar 31 2009, 08:13 PM
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 31 2009, 08:01 AM) *
Oh maaan.. mellow.gif you NEED to do warm up every time you want to play, if you don`t want hurt your self. That`s good warmup smile.gif

I never warm up, and never had a problem. Can play for a whole day without noticing anything.
Just chill for a day or two and see if it's getting any better. No need to cry at the doctor's before you give it some time to heal up.

Best of luck

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 31 2009, 08:50 PM
QUOTE (kjutte @ Mar 31 2009, 10:13 PM) *
I never warm up, and never had a problem. Can play for a whole day without noticing anything.
Just chill for a day or two and see if it's getting any better. No need to cry at the doctor's before you give it some time to heal up.

Best of luck

I think there is nothing to be proud of, it can strike you once (for example you can stretch the nerv or smth) and it will be enough to do this. And fact that warm up makes you play a bit better. Well you can try play something on 120-130 bmp with 16th note triplets, without warm up and with and see the difference rolleyes.gif But that`s great that you can play whole day without warmup smile.gif

+Quote Post
razman
Mar 31 2009, 10:57 PM
I always play a little slower to warm up but I think I may have played too long without taking breaks. I will be much more conscience of it. Thanks so much for all your concerns and advice. Just from giving it 1 day rest the pain and swelling have gone down. I am going to give it another day and maybe a third day to really be safe then I will be much more careful when I resume practicing again.

--------------------
Guitars
PRS Classic

Recording

Effects
Ibanez Tube Screamer
Line 6 Delay Modeler

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 11:39 AM