Help, Alternate Picking
Martin la guitar...
Feb 28 2009, 08:23 PM
GMC:er
I was wondering how you do alternate picking.

When you alternate picking the string, do you rest the side of your palm on the bridge, or do you just pick the notes freely (without the right hand touching anything.)

I hope you understand my question.

When i try to use alternate picking while resting my palm rests on the bridge, i get very accurate and fast tone, but when I when i dont it becomes the opposit.

If you say "Yes, rest your palm on the bridge"

Then my question is, should you always rest your palm on the bridge, even when your phrasing?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 1 2009, 02:15 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Martin la guitarra @ Feb 28 2009, 07:23 PM) *
I was wondering how you do alternate picking.

When you alternate picking the string, do you rest the side of your palm on the bridge, or do you just pick the notes freely (without the right hand touching anything.)

I hope you understand my question.

When i try to use alternate picking while resting my palm rests on the bridge, i get very accurate and fast tone, but when I when i dont it becomes the opposit.

If you say "Yes, rest your palm on the bridge"

Then my question is, should you always rest your palm on the bridge, even when your phrasing?

When you rest on the bridge you are producing palm muting. Combination with normal and palm muted notes is what I use. It gives more dynamics and I am able to accent the notes I want.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Fsgdjv
Mar 1 2009, 02:27 AM
I rest my palm somewhere, I do not hold it freely in the air without it touching anything, that would be weird. Where I rest it depends on what string I am playing on, but the right hand is always moving, even though I'm resting it somewhere. Sometimes I rest it on the bridge, sometimes on strings wich makes it mute those strings from unwanted noise etc. Do it in a way that feels comfortable and sounds good to you and you can't fail.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jose Mena
Mar 1 2009, 03:15 AM
Instructor
Not always, I sometimes do not rest y palm, but most times I do, with heavy distortion I rest the palm to mute the strings I am not playing, to avoid unwanted noise.

Look at Michael Angelo Batio when he alternate picks he doesn't rest his palm anywhere, but if would barely hit a string he didn't intend do play he gets noise, however his technique is so accurate that he manages to pick only the strings he means to.

It is up to you, but my advice is if you are starting to alternate pick get used to mute, that means rest the palm on the strings, develop a controlled muting technique, will make things easier later on.

--------------------
Check out my Video Lessons
Visit my Instructor Board
Visit MySpace

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Mar 1 2009, 12:12 PM
Instructor
There is also a technique to mute the noise with the left hand if you're not resting the right hand. Jose is right, you can achieve clean picking even if you don't rest, it comes with experience. He mentioned Michael Angelo. Check him out on youtube (crazy fast player). He manages to play scales in the speed of light so accurate without resting at all.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 1 2009, 11:07 PM
Instructor
That depends what kind of run and sound you are going for but in general I try not to keep my right hand floating freely too much. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
steve25
Mar 2 2009, 03:06 PM
Generally in some ways you are always resting at least your arm, even if it is on the guitar body. As these guys have already explained you rest your palm on the bridge when you want to produce a palm mute sound. If you are playing on higher strings it is good practice to have your palm muting the lower strings on your guitar. This way your playing will be cleaner and you won't ring out strings you didn't mean to hit (accidents happen).

When playing on lower strings like the bass string for example often i don't rest my hand on the bridge at all. However due to the angle of my arm it isn't an uncomfortable position because of the way it is rested over the guitar

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:40 AM