> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Alternate Picking Workout #7, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 4 ] ** [100.00%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 4

Victor Simion
Aug 16 2020, 01:16 PM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: Alternate Picking Workout #7 by Darius Wave

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 16 2020, 09:27 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!

This is a great choice for you!! I've commented at your AP practice thread and the things that I commented there are the same that are happening here. You need more time to get familiar to smaller movements in order to get a more consistent sound and timing, and to keep both hands on perfect sync.

The first part is slower so you can start focusing on other new elements: dynamics, groove and articulation. Compare your take with Darius's one and notice the different notes durations, accentuation, and overall groove/timing.

The second part is faster and that's where the hand sync issues appear. Work on this part at a slower tempo first.

I think that you are on the right track with this lesson and technique, keep going.

It's a 6.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 16 2020, 10:20 PM
GMC Founder
Nice!

This is already very promising and we can see how seriously you have been practicing this. To fix the hand sync issues towards the end (around 00:43) and to up your playing to pro level, consider the following.

* Your left hand thumb seems to have a rather classical position behind the neck. This might seem fine and dandy - but these kinds or exercises are typically practiced for more than one minute. And for any prolonged period of time, this hand position will put heaps of unnecessary strain on your hand, and thereby make it much less likely to sync. See how Darius positions his thumb.

* Are your notes sustaining when you play this slowly? It sounds like you might have sped the exercise up before you were able to play this with perfect legato (legato in this case means there is a minimum amount of silence in between the picked notes)

* Pro tip: learn to play this slowly with your left hand only (using hammer-ons and pull-offs), it will likely automatically address both issues above. And when you add the picking hand it will feel like turbo boosting your engine.

* When you cross between strings, it seems you are totally relying on your wrist - not moving the forearm at all. For consistency, I would use my forearm when moving between strings - so that the wrist can keep doing its machine-like consistent motion. I would personally find this approach to be more consistent and allowing for higher speeds, but there are many schools of thinking here.

Keep up the hard work, you get a 6 from me!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 18 2020, 12:09 AM
GMC:er
Well played! i won't waste time on repeating what's been said here already. I'd like to focus in on what Kris said about your left hand approach. Your technique is good and very solid. Nothing wrong with using classical technique on the higher frets. However, as he mentioned, this approach does increase the load on the hand/thumb. As a way round this, Darius gives us a good example of a different approach. Many players, including me, make use of this. It involves just letting the left thumb rise over the top of the neck just a little bit. Some players let the thumb come all the way over the top during bending, etc. once they get beyond the 12th fret. For drills like this one, it is a way to alleviate some of the pressure on the fretting hand. It should feel natural. If you try it and it dooesn't feel natural, then probably skip it. If it does feel natural, it's a good way to play without ading tension.

Attached Image

you are very close on this one. I'd say give it a few more repetitions.

Solid 6 from me!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 18 2020, 12:11 AM

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Aug 18 2020, 01:00 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

Just to add my point of view on left hand position and shaping. Classical left hand is just fine, but unfortunately it has some disadvantages when playing on distortion - first is a limitation in your abilties to mute unwanted strings, second is you need to hold your guitar ultra high when playing in standing position.

Resting your right hand on low strings and using more a blues kind of left hand positioning has a lot to do with preparing you to play on stage. For sitting position is is not that much of a problem.

This lesson has a moderate tempo. It is easier to play in time when your move is slightly wider. When you compare your take to mine, you'll clearly notice I rest my palm on the low strings and my wrist goes more in line with forearm. You positions seems to bring problems when you try to reach to b string.

At this point timing and hand sync are two most important issues. I will give it more time. Generally having this kind of lesson in your regular schedule, would help not only to keep you in form but to develope your pickign constantly.

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 20 2020, 06:29 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 06:27 PM