Kustom Hv 100 Vs Kustom Defender, 50watt all tube vs 100w hybrid
fire
Aug 21 2008, 08:15 PM
GMC:er
hey guys

those amps are pretty much equal in price, the one is 50watt alltube, one channel, the other one 100w hybrid with celestion speakers...

for band and small / medium giggs, what to choose (lead guitar here;) ) ??

Has any1 of you made experiences with "kustom" amps.. i just read one review from "guitar & bass" (german guitar magazine) that was quite decent...

cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If you think you understood what I said, you neglect that the things you hear, are different from the thing I thought of. - Got it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 21 2008, 09:37 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
I'm not very familiar with Kustom amps but a one channel amp I'm guessing you'll have to be prepared to dial on the amp and use your guitars volumeknob and maybe add a distortion or boost pedal infront for heavier tones.
Which is not a drawback at all, it's cool, very cool cool.gif

Which you should choose between the two is entirely up to you. I'd take a tube amp before a SS any day (unless the SS was a H&K Zentera).
Are you prepared to do some dialing with the reward of sweet tube sound, maybe not go heavier than rock.
Or do you want easy access to sounds with the press of a button and don't mind if it's tubes or not you pick the solid state.

Also mind that a tube amp comes with maintenance and has to be handled with care... and love. biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 21 2008, 10:06 PM
Instructor
MickeM pretty much said it right wink.gif

These are completely different categories of amps. Tube amp 50W is better sounding, but that hybrid is good for gigs, requires less care. This can be good if you gig often and have to carry your amp around a lot.

Also 100W of power for hybrid (check out if Ohm is rated correctly, sometimes they put less Ohms in order to half the power and force you to buy extension cab) is quite enough fro giggin, and if you have more channels on it, you don't need pedals, perhaps a booster or compressor only.

50W or tube power is (just) enough but with one channel you will not get too much of a clean sound. Also you will need pedals, and this requires some good pedals to push the amp, depending of the style of music you're into.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:58 AM