2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Which Power To Play In A Band ?, Tube amps
ZeCoyote
Jan 10 2008, 06:10 PM
GMC:er
Hi,

I need to buy some stuffs. I'm in a (beginner) band playing Cranberries, Oasis, ACDC, Kravitz, Beatles, Stones ... classics. Original songs will come later smile.gif

We are going to rent a new local, with no gear in it.

I am guitarist and I need an amp and above all, I need to be heard in the mix smile.gif

I was about to buy a Fender Super Champ xd, a 15W tube amp with full lamp and a DSP canal. But I wonder if it is powerful enough to play with battery, bass and singer. I can add a 2x12 cab like the Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage (with 2 Celestion V30). All this for 500€.

Is it enough ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Goliath
Jan 10 2008, 06:21 PM
if your'e really worried about being heard I'm guessing you're not going to be mic'd. If you're not going to be mic'd, you'll probably want to get a 50w 2x12 combo. That should be more than enough to make you cut through the mix. 15w w/ cab, maybe, 15w mic'd, sure.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 10 2008, 06:22 PM
Depends on the other band members amps. If the bassist has a 400W bass amp you need a 100W guitar amp. If the bassist has a 60W bass amp you'd probs be fine with 15W.

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 10 2008, 06:40 PM
Instructor
Hmm, 15W is not loud enough, no matter what cabinet you plug on it, it will still deliver 15W. 40W all tube or 50W hybrid needed for rehearsals.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 10 2008, 11:23 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Buy something louder because you don't know if all the time you are going to be mic-ed or not.. wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
Jan 10 2008, 11:33 PM
Instructor
you need minmum 100 WATTs to hear you r guitar between drums and bass guitar

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jan 11 2008, 02:13 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Hisham @ Jan 10 2008, 11:33 PM) *
you need minmum 100 WATTs to hear you r guitar between drums and bass guitar

Rocking type ha? biggrin.gif

I run my Mesa on 50% all the time and it delivers 2 x 90 watts,
around 45-50 watts per speaker.
And it's pretty loud,even with full acoustic drum kit next to me. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Jan 11 2008, 02:26 AM
My 40 watt Fender Hotrod Deluxe is plenty loud for a band. My bass player played really loud (swearword) but the good old Hotrod cut through no probs. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 11 2008, 09:16 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Some drummers are really noisy too.
I've managed to make myself heard in a band both with 50W and 100W amps. My 30W is fine most of the time but the times we max out it's someimes drowning. I think 15W is a gamble...

+Quote Post
ZeCoyote
Jan 11 2008, 11:19 AM
I'm talking about 15W for a tube amp ! 100W tube amps seems really really overpowered for my use. We only plays in a local, no scene nor club (not yet smile.gif).

I was playing on a Peavy Bandit Transtube which is a 80W solidstate and I can play with the band with volume on 3 to 5 (depending if I want clean or crunch).

50W tube amps seems overpowered too for me. I will never turn volume over 2 or 3 and we need to push volume to hear tube working.

I was thinking to find an amp between 15W and 30W, 40W maximum. And the Fender Super Champ xD pleased me very much. But if 15W is not enough, I will test Classic 30, AC30 or a Fender Hot Rod. But it is not the same prices ...

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 11 2008, 11:27 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I think the 15watt as MickeM said is a gamble, I agree with the others that probably 50watt as a minimum, you may only be turning up the amp a little but you`ll not be driving the amp hard.

Many years ago I used a 30watt amp in my band, it was constantly turned up to 10, eventually it just blew, sure it was a nasty cheap thing, but with the extra power you`ll always have a reliable amp, plus you`ll not be overdriving the amp keeping its clean tones all the time as well.

You can always turn down, but if its as loud as it will go you can never turn up, plus if you carry on and play any gigs etc you`ll always have an amp capable of anything, save yourself some money in the long run.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
ZeCoyote
Jan 11 2008, 11:30 AM
I don't understand because if I put a 30W tube amp at volume 10, my ears just bleed and my mates crawl outside the room before they die smile.gif We don't play metal or hardcore, just blues/rock/pop.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 11 2008, 11:40 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (ZeCoyote @ Jan 11 2008, 10:30 AM) *
I don't understand because if I put a 30W tube amp at volume 10, my ears just bleed and my mates crawl outside the room before they die smile.gif We don't play metal or hardcore, just blues/rock/pop.

laugh.gif

yes I agree, but our drummer makes my ears bleed, we`ve told him to use drum sticks and not hammers but it doesnt make any difference its just payback laugh.gif

i think you`ve made your mind up on the 15watt by the sounds of it, if you think it`ll do the job then go for it smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
ZeCoyote
Jan 11 2008, 11:44 AM
To be honest, if Fender had a 25W-30W "Mega Champ" smile.gif, it would be it ...

I'll test again tomorrow.

+Quote Post
KRmachine
Jan 11 2008, 12:45 PM
From what I've heard, tube amps usually sound louder than a solid state amp at the same wattage. You'll probably be louder with a 30W all tube amp than a 50W solid state amp.

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 11 2008, 12:51 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (PlayAllDay @ Jan 10 2008, 01:26 PM) *
My 40 watt Fender Hotrod Deluxe is plenty loud for a band. My bass player played really loud (swearword) but the good old Hotrod cut through no probs. biggrin.gif

+1! I use my deluxe at least once a week in a rehearsal situation and it is always plenty loud enough. Playallday, I just recently got a boss NS-2 noise supressor, might i suggest you look into one for your hot rod? I don't know if ours are exactly the same... Mine's a mid 90's made in america one but it still gets unacceptable hum on the more drive channel when turned up. Plugged the boss to have the send->return going through the effects loop (preamp out, poweramp in) for the hot rod and now I have next to no hum even with the more drive up, its pretty amazing. Definite improvement anyway, biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
PlayAllDay
Jan 11 2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks JVM - i don't use that channel for ages - unacceptable hum is one of the reasons yes. Do you notice any difference in your tone from using the NS-2? I have been considering getting one.
Currently I use pedals or Boss GT-8 patches for my drive tones.
Thanks very much for the input biggrin.gif

--------------------
Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself...

+Quote Post
Goliath
Jan 11 2008, 01:28 PM
I'd look down the line, if you do start gigging in larger/louder venues (big bars, etc) in the future, you're going to need that extra wattage and have to come out of pocket again for another louder amp, or you can go the extra mile now when the amp is probably as cheap as it's ever going to be and be prepared when that time comes.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
ZeCoyote
Jan 14 2008, 04:28 PM
Indeed, Super Champ XD 15W was not enough loud with clean sound in a band. But i confirm that 15W tube are far enough for a band with overdrive/crunch sound ! Just try the Orange Tiny Terror ! Amazing.

I bought a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe "Emerald", 40W tube with an HP Celestion V30. Volume 3 and everyone is stuck to the walls smile.gif But too loud to play at home.

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Jan 14 2008, 04:36 PM
Christ. I play a 100W fully tube Marshall JCM800 half stack. AND I use a gain boost pedal lol. Am I deaf? We are always told we are one of the loudest bands but I thought people were joking biggrin.gif

Possibly they weren't smile.gif

This post has been edited by OrganisedConfusion: Jan 14 2008, 04:37 PM

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:01 AM