Open Letter To Gmc, and status report from Spiderusalem
Spiderusalem
May 10 2008, 06:22 AM
GMC:er
Dear GMC

It’s been nearly 9 months since I joined this wonderful site for the first time, and its been 4 months since my dramatic decline of activity here (which some of you may have noticed). I’ve been trying to come back ever since but my journey has taken me well out of the realm of online lessons and into the real world.

9 months ago also marks the moment I decided to devote my life to the professional, intellectual, and spiritual pursuit of music. Its been rough, and they have been some of the most difficult, most embarrassing, and ultimately most rewarding 9 months of my life. I’ve hit dead end after dead end in my learning process, I’ve struggled to learn musical notation, I’ve spent many late nights at home or at coffee shops tirelessly mapping out fretboard patterns that I would only throw away the next morning, I’ve had my guitar stolen, I’ve straight up hated playing guitar sometimes. But I kept at it. A year ago I didn’t know what an octave was, or what “diatonic” meant. Today I’m sight reading bebop, improvising flamenco, and modulating in my head. I sought a life which meant perpetual rigorous practice and study, but rewarded me with love (in many senses of the word), and though my journey has taken me away from this place, its clear to me that I would not have made it where I am today if I didn’t have GMC to guide me through the darkness in my first crucial months of learning.

Without GMC to help me, I wouldn’t have ventured into the realm of classical guitar and jazz.

Hell, I wouldn’t have even been able to understand jazz.

I wouldn’t have been able to play late night blues with the unappreciated virtuoso guitarists that live hard lives on the mean streets of San Francisco.

I wouldn’t have been able to play in shelters for the sick folks, homeless folks, and battered women and children.

I wouldn’t have been able to play actual gigs, and work with other musicians.

I wouldn’t have been able to contribute to a new and developing style of guitar (hip hop classical).

I wouldn’t have been able to take on guitar students of my own.

I wouldn’t have been able to stand out of the crowd, and win over the woman I love.

I wouldn’t have been able to feel closer to a higher spiritual power through the pursuit of music.

But most importantly, I wouldn’t have been able to feel like the man, or the musician I always wanted to be without that crucial first push by the GMC community 9 months ago. For that I thank you, all of my friends and teachers who help foster the next generation of guitarists (myself included). Hopefully one day, I can come back and be an active member again (but that would mean I’m not out working. Blah) I'm sorry if you felt this letter was poorly constructed. I usually spend a lot of time on my posts but not on this one, because right now I'm leaving to go play/study. I just wanted those of you who care to know how I was.

Yours Truly, Spiderusalem

P.S. How are all of you?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Equipment: Classical/Jazz hybrid guitar. blunt/black humor.

Success is the best revenge.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Spiderusalem   Open Letter To Gmc   May 10 2008, 06:22 AM
- - Vinod Saranga   Hi Spiderusalem, Your story is very interesting   May 10 2008, 06:31 AM
- - ActiveX   It's good to hear from you again man, it sound...   May 10 2008, 06:49 AM
- - Juan M. Valero   GMC are changing our life !!! that...   May 10 2008, 06:58 AM
- - PlayAllDay   Oh Spidey - I'm so happy for you and you total...   May 10 2008, 08:21 AM
- - AudunESP   Spidey, what a great story.I Think you nearly forc...   May 10 2008, 08:50 AM
- - Hisham Al-Sanea   nice story spiderusalem and interesting .i think ...   May 10 2008, 09:17 AM
- - superize   Good luck Spider   May 10 2008, 09:42 AM
- - DeepRoots   Great to hear from you again Spider- you have come...   May 10 2008, 09:48 AM
- - Danilo Capezzuto   Glad to hear GMC have done so much for you!   May 10 2008, 10:46 AM
- - Iluha   Ahh.. I missed you'r posts man, no matter how ...   May 10 2008, 10:49 AM
- - OrganisedConfusion   Congratulations man and a really moving story. I h...   May 10 2008, 10:50 AM
- - Marcus Siepen   All the best for your journey   May 10 2008, 11:25 AM
|- - Andrew Cockburn   Spidey! Well for sure, things have been quiet...   May 10 2008, 12:21 PM
nnn
- - Nemanja Filipovic   Great for you man,even I start to practice guitar ...   May 10 2008, 12:35 PM
- - Canis   Great story, Spider Glad to see that GMC helped y...   May 10 2008, 12:41 PM
- - Joe Kataldo   Good luck Spider   May 10 2008, 01:00 PM
- - skennington   Moving story man! I wish you the best of luck ...   May 10 2008, 03:04 PM
- - stratman33   Spider your back!thats a great story, and i wa...   May 10 2008, 03:56 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   Hey man, your story is great, and I'm glad you...   May 10 2008, 07:34 PM
|- - Muris Varajic   Those are great news AND story Spider!!   May 10 2008, 07:38 PM
nnn
- - kaznie_NL   It's good to hear that story (sell it to holly...   May 10 2008, 07:58 PM
- - botoxfox   Nice to know you're still alive.   May 10 2008, 08:07 PM
- - rokchik   Hey Spidey, Great to see ya back man and what an ...   May 10 2008, 09:06 PM
- - Trond Vold   What a great story! It was a treat to read   May 10 2008, 09:10 PM
- - The Uncreator   Hey Spidey, glad to see your still kickin!...   May 10 2008, 09:13 PM
- - Bogdan Radovic   Great to hear back from you Spider!   May 10 2008, 11:34 PM
- - Nick325   Great news. glad to hear from you   May 10 2008, 11:39 PM
- - Kristofer Dahl   Thanks for a very cool topic (as usal! ) Spide...   May 11 2008, 08:00 AM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:39 PM