Ear Training
steve25
May 13 2008, 10:54 PM
GMC:er
Hey just a quick question on Ear Training. I think i'm a little confused as to what it actually is and why it's useful and why guitarists practice it. Also how could i practice ear training is there software that you can recommend me or anything?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
May 13 2008, 11:21 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Hey Steve, check out this thread that Kaz and Gus started. May or may not help you but its a start. There's a thread for beginner,inter. and advanced.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=15125

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
steve25
May 13 2008, 11:26 PM
Cool idea but nto quite what i was looking for. Anyone else have anything that's worked for them?

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 13 2008, 11:27 PM
Instructor
To put things simple, ear training means training your ear to be able to recognize different sound frequencies as notes.
Ear Training is important for all musicians because they use notes for expression, so knowing the notes is if not the most important thing than certainly one of the most important things when doing music.
Good free software is GNU Solfege.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: May 13 2008, 11:28 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 13 2008, 11:29 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (steve25 @ May 13 2008, 10:54 PM) *
Hey just a quick question on Ear Training. I think i'm a little confused as to what it actually is and why it's useful and why guitarists practice it. Also how could i practice ear training is there software that you can recommend me or anything?

Riffmaster Pro is a pretty good program for phrase training, you can slow down sections of tracks etc without changing the pitch, and loop bits, might be the sort of thing your looking for, go check it out, I use it, its very good

http://riffmasterpro.com/index.htm?hop=clickbunk

This post has been edited by Smells: May 13 2008, 11:29 PM

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
steve25
May 13 2008, 11:49 PM
Thanks Ivan, that looks like the sort of program that i'm looking for. I guess i'll practice using this.

That looks pretty interesting Smells i'll consider it when i start trying to learn songs/solos, cheers

+Quote Post
Luciana Segovia
May 15 2008, 08:50 PM
Singing Instructor
Hey Steve... there's a software called Ear Master, is very very very usefull ! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 15 2008, 09:05 PM
Instructor
I'll try to find that ear master too. I hope it's free unsure.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 15 2008, 10:38 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ May 14 2008, 12:49 AM) *
That looks pretty interesting Smells i'll consider it when i start trying to learn songs/solos, cheers

Learning songs and figuring out chord progression is good and fun way to train your ear smile.gif

(Without tabs of course)

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: May 15 2008, 10:38 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 15 2008, 10:42 PM
Instructor
ear training is the most important thing to the musicians

+Quote Post
steve25
May 15 2008, 10:46 PM
Cheers guys for all your suggestions, i really want to get into ear training as it seems very useful to musicians and guitarists. At the moment i'm just trying to get my ears accustomed to all 12 of the notes but i'm taking it slow, doing just the A minor pentatonic notes at the moment

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 15 2008, 10:57 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Luciana Segovia @ May 15 2008, 08:50 PM) *
Hey Steve... there's a software called Ear Master, is very very very usefull ! wink.gif

I agree! Great program, you won't be dissapointed i assure you!

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 15 2008, 09:05 PM) *
I'll try to find that ear master too. I hope it's free unsure.gif

They have a trial on their website...i used it and just had to carry on using it!

http://www.earmaster.com/download/pro.htm

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
May 16 2008, 07:46 AM
Instructor
Ear Training will help you a lot. you should think that the best when you improvise a solo is to be able to play the melodies that you get in your mind. And also it will help you when you want to transcribe a song by ear, of course wink.gif

IMO it's important to spend some time improving this skills.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:04 AM