2 Pages V   1 2 >  
My Guitar Project: Modern V
ZakkWylde
Dec 16 2009, 07:30 PM
Learning Tone Master
I love Flying V guitars, especially by my favourite company Gibson, but I have always disliked the Vintage looks of this modern shape guitar:

Attached Image

Common guys, Flying V shape and cluson type vintage tuners? White pickguard and Trussrod cover? Passive pickups? Chrome Hardware?

NO! I want a sleak looking Metal axe! And that's how my project started...
I found a stripped down Gibson Flying V body with neck, but nothing else, on ebay and bought it. Right now I am gathering the parts to build this baby from the ground up, after my own specs!!

Here is the current status quo of my project:

Attached Image

Unfortunately I ordered the wrong bridge (metric winds won't fit in a US guitar! Doh!) and they also were more gray than black, and I want everything black on this one! The pickguard is currently being spraypainted by a friend who is selling cars. Guess the color: Black!
I will install Sperzel locking tuners for quick string changes, a Tonepros bridge that locks in the perfect setup height, an active set of EMG pickups (81/85), some strap locks and the newly colored pickguard. I will do everything by myself so I hope I won't screw this up laugh.gif

I will make this my building journal and keep you updated on the progress!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 16 2009, 08:06 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Cool!

Make sure to take lots of pics, and I shall convert this into a tasty "Build your Flying V" wiki entry cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Staffy
Dec 16 2009, 08:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
Cool Zakk, we're looking forward to the progress!!! smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
ruben_mcn
Dec 16 2009, 09:39 PM
Learning Roadie
Cool man =) keep us informed ..

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 16 2009, 10:25 PM
Instructor
Definitely a cool project man! smile.gif I will one day build the strat too, just have to be lucky enough to find a good platform.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Dec 16 2009, 11:43 PM
Instructor
hey zakk! i'm doing the same thing! ohmy.gif
mine is a black flying v im putting the same locking tuners, the same straplocks, gold hardware and gold mirror pickguard and matching headstock, also will put a mo joe and paf joe, love v's too!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Dec 16 2009, 11:54 PM
GMC:er
Ohhhh yeah! very nice laugh.gif ... I've thought about the same "Project V" but I thought I would like to put a tremelo system (Floyd Rose maybe) on. I love the (Gibson) V And I really love the vintage vibe, but want just some of the modern amenities...(locking tuners/ modern tremolo...) How much did you pay for the V, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm torn between a strat "build-up", and a V "build-up". I'm gonna need a project this summer to keep me out of trouble!!! cool.gif

I'm looking forward to your progress wink.gif

--------------------
When I look down at my hands... I see "FINGERS of DOOM"

+Quote Post
Power_Arctica
Dec 16 2009, 11:57 PM
Great man! I love flyings V!

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 17 2009, 12:03 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Hammerhead @ Dec 16 2009, 11:54 PM) *
Ohhhh yeah! very nice laugh.gif ... I've thought about the same "Project V" but I thought I would like to put a tremelo system (Floyd Rose maybe) on. I love the (Gibson) V And I really love the vintage vibe, but want just some of the modern amenities...(locking tuners/ modern tremolo...) How much did you pay for the V, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm torn between a strat "build-up", and a V "build-up". I'm gonna need a project this summer to keep me out of trouble!!! cool.gif

I'm looking forward to your progress wink.gif

All in all this guitar build will cost me arround 700 Euros. I payd way to much for the body on ebay but I wanted it really bad!

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Dec 17 2009, 01:07 AM
Instructor
Awesome project man. I know many people who do similar thing and I just love looking at the final product. I have never tried anything harder than replacing strings and floyd rose smile.gif All above that is a science for me.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Dec 17 2009, 01:08 AM
Can I ask about the tremolo system... why doesn't Gibson use it more. It only comes with a couple of their guitars? I don't see many flying V's with a modern tremolo system.

I like your project, and might try something similar, but I'm not sure I want to try to rout out the body for the new bridge, and I have asked myself why doesn't Gibson do more in this area. I wont spend $7,000 for the Zakk wylde V dry.gif

cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 17 2009, 12:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
Maybe it's against their old fashioned way to look on guitars, maybe Gibson thinks there is no market for them with all the Floyded Vees by Jackson and ESP...

In fact:

-They do Les Pauls with Floyds but no Flying Vs!
Attached Image

-There are Vs with trems (Kahler) like the shred V or the Tribal V
Attached Image

http://www.musik-schmidt.de/Gibson-Tribal-V.html

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Dec 17 2009, 01:44 PM
THanks... "Maybe it's against their old fashioned way to look on guitars," I had the same thought. cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 17 2009, 01:48 PM
Learning Tone Master
I don't think it's a wise idea to try to install a floyd into a gutiar that was not built for it fro the ground up...

You have to rout out a lot of wood, it is not going to look pretty since the old mounting holes are not covered, the neck angle might not match the bridge angle of the floyd and the risk of damaging your guitar permanently is way too high.

Even some skilled luthiers refuse to aftermarket equip floyds because the outcome is too vague.

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Dec 17 2009, 02:07 PM
Thanks,

"I don't think it's a wise idea to try to install a floyd into a gutiar that was not built for it fro the ground up..."

I think that is good advice.I'm not much of a wood worker, and sometimes I bite off more than I can chew. I could see modding a guitar with wiring and new pickups, a paint job and what not... but once you start to cut the wood ohmy.gif there is no real going back! I just wish that the vintage looking V had more options! That shred V is looking hot though cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 17 2009, 04:13 PM
QUOTE (Hammerhead @ Dec 17 2009, 01:07 PM) *
Thanks,

"I don't think it's a wise idea to try to install a floyd into a gutiar that was not built for it fro the ground up..."

I think that is good advice.I'm not much of a wood worker, and sometimes I bite off more than I can chew. I could see modding a guitar with wiring and new pickups, a paint job and what not... but once you start to cut the wood ohmy.gif there is no real going back! I just wish that the vintage looking V had more options! That shred V is looking hot though cool.gif

Vintage Style V Body...........with........
whatever Tremolo Rout you require!!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Dec 17 2009, 05:05 PM
Mr. S Jones... cool.gif

Vintage Style V Body...........with........
whatever Tremolo Rout you require!!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Thank you for that! I do love the vintage V!

I was hoping to grab a Gibson some day, but this might work... wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 17 2009, 05:58 PM
Learning Tone Master
So here is an update:

I managed to install the Sperzel locking tuners! They fitted in the original holes, all I had to to was drill a second hole for each of them to fit the adjusting pin... I think they look great on there!

Attached Image
Attached Image

In case you wonder why the truss rod cover is matte - It's a fake replacement part. It's impossible to find a Black Gibson Flying V trussrodcover with Silver Logo and Gibson is not selling them seperatley!!! If anyone knows where I can get one, please tell me!

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Dec 17 2009, 06:03 PM

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Dec 17 2009, 06:17 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Dec 17 2009, 04:58 PM) *
If anyone knows where I can get one, please tell me!

I can only get Black with White lettering too.

QUOTE (Hammerhead @ Dec 17 2009, 04:05 PM) *
Mr. S Jones... cool.gif

Thank you for that! I do love the vintage V!

I was hoping to grab a Gibson some day, but this might work... wink.gif

No worries!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Toroso
Dec 17 2009, 07:17 PM
Those Sperzels do look sweet on that. smile.gif I like that shape, I've always had the oval ones.

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:55 PM