A Soundclip..., comments on sound please!
audiopaal
Mar 16 2010, 01:36 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Hey guys!

I just recorded a quick clip with some easy rhythm playing.
I was just wondering what you think about the overall sound of it?

The drums might be a bit sharp, but that can easily be fixed.
Oh, and don't pay attention to the programming of the drums, as this does not matter here!

I'm just trying out a lot of different things to get an idea of how I will proceed recording my next songs smile.gif

Any tips on how to make it sound even better? (mainly the guitar sound, although I don't think it's too bad) smile.gif

Test: Attached File  teeeesting.mp3 ( 2.14MB ) Number of downloads: 246

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 16 2010, 03:09 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hey Paal
How have you been doing my friend?

I'm not sure what your going for as far a genre but I just figured I give you my general thought when I listened to it.

Over all I think the mix is pretty good. You said don't worry about the drums, right? For me the tone of them sound really nice but, I think the volume level and panning makes them sit to far back in the mix and the guitar is to up front.

That being said I think the guitar tone is nice and crunchy. Cuts the mix nice and smooth but is a little to far in front of everything, but I believe that is what you might have wanted to stand out because you asked for comments on guitar tone specifically, right? If you were going to go with a live recorded drum kit this tone would fit good imho, however for my ear (as old as it is getting, lol...) I would suggest maybe just trying a flatter EQ for the guitar. When I first heard this I thought of this guitar sound. Check out the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlYhQgGKO2I

Maybe just EQ the high-mid some to take the edge off. High end was a little loss sounding for me and not tight and warm.

It really sounds nice man, I'm just being nit-picky with my opinions.

Regards

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
JamesT
Mar 16 2010, 03:10 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
It sounds great man.
I listened on both my headphones and Alesis M1 Active monitors.

Not sure if I can add too much regarding the guitars. They are excellent. Soundwise, this kind of reminds me of the intro guitars on "Bounce" by Ritchie Sambora (Bon Jovi). Compared to that track, I think the snare and the toms at the end could come up just a tiny bit. This was more noticeable to me on the monitors than in the "cans". .. Then again, it sounds pretty good just the way it is. wink.gif

Can't wait to hear more of this.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Mar 16 2010, 04:10 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Fate Warning? Where you pull that one out of? LOL

I think you guitar sound is awesome man. Im a sucker for effects and the use of panning. I would take that rhythm and rerecord it using a slightly different tone/distortion on a different track. Pan the original one you recorded left 50% and the other new one you wwill record 50% to the right to get a nice stereo effect. Tis can give you a feeling of 2 different guitarist playing on one tune. It also makes it sound more human. Meaning you never play the same thing 2x exactll the same so it give it a feeling of humanizing the track.

I would also add a little tiny bit of reverb to your guitar too. Not on the signal but add it fromwithin your DAW.

You dont have to do any of this. I usually do and makes the overall tune sound more fuller and more in stereo. If your more focusing on just the tone of your guitar as you record it in then drop the mid a tad and add some effects like reverb to the track,

-Dan

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Mar 16 2010, 04:47 AM
Instructor
hey bro!, sounds very good! like the guitar tone a lot, doubled? quad?, hears awesome, but i think, in the overall mix the guitar are way too loud (cause those are just rhythmic guitars i guess), you will have to make some room for the lead instrument (voice?)

and the drums hears kind of small for this heavy music? maybe i bigger room or more presence of the room, but i like the sound samples a lot, is it bfd or superior?

also for the guitar, why dont you eq one of the overdubs different?, maybe try to boost some high-mid freqs, it will even it even more!

great overall sound so far!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 16 2010, 06:53 AM
Learning Tone Master
I can't really say something new that has already been said here, it sounds great! The only issue is the one the other people also said - the guitars are too much in the front of the mix, eg. overshadowing the drums & the bass. Maybe they are even a little bit too "fat", if thats possible??? tongue.gif The timbre of both the guitars and drums are excellent, so I think level mixing is really whats needed, not abig issue... smile.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 16 2010, 10:09 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 16 2010, 03:09 AM) *
Hey Paal
How have you been doing my friend?

I'm not sure what your going for as far a genre but I just figured I give you my general thought when I listened to it.

Over all I think the mix is pretty good. You said don't worry about the drums, right? For me the tone of them sound really nice but, I think the volume level and panning makes them sit to far back in the mix and the guitar is to up front.

That being said I think the guitar tone is nice and crunchy. Cuts the mix nice and smooth but is a little to far in front of everything, but I believe that is what you might have wanted to stand out because you asked for comments on guitar tone specifically, right? If you were going to go with a live recorded drum kit this tone would fit good imho, however for my ear (as old as it is getting, lol...) I would suggest maybe just trying a flatter EQ for the guitar. When I first heard this I thought of this guitar sound. Check out the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlYhQgGKO2I

Maybe just EQ the high-mid some to take the edge off. High end was a little loss sounding for me and not tight and warm.

It really sounds nice man, I'm just being nit-picky with my opinions.

Regards

Hi mate smile.gif
I've been doing good lately, I'm just really busy with work, writing songs and starting a new band..
Takes up a lot of time smile.gif

Yeah, the drums are just there to put the guitars and bass in context (as a "full" band situation).
They lack some fullness and the volume levels are a bit off,
but I'll ask for tips on my drum sound when I post something with better mixed drums smile.gif

Thanks, I think the guitarsound is getting closer to what I want, just a little off still...
I'll try your EQ tip as well and see how it sounds!

Great song you linked to by the way smile.gif

Thanks again!

QUOTE (JamesT @ Mar 16 2010, 03:10 AM) *
It sounds great man.
I listened on both my headphones and Alesis M1 Active monitors.

Not sure if I can add too much regarding the guitars. They are excellent. Soundwise, this kind of reminds me of the intro guitars on "Bounce" by Ritchie Sambora (Bon Jovi). Compared to that track, I think the snare and the toms at the end could come up just a tiny bit. This was more noticeable to me on the monitors than in the "cans". .. Then again, it sounds pretty good just the way it is. wink.gif

Can't wait to hear more of this.

Thanks a lot mate smile.gif
I'll keep in mind what you said about drum levels!

I'll let you know when I post an update smile.gif

QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Mar 16 2010, 04:47 AM) *
hey bro!, sounds very good! like the guitar tone a lot, doubled? quad?, hears awesome, but i think, in the overall mix the guitar are way too loud (cause those are just rhythmic guitars i guess), you will have to make some room for the lead instrument (voice?)

and the drums hears kind of small for this heavy music? maybe i bigger room or more presence of the room, but i like the sound samples a lot, is it bfd or superior?

also for the guitar, why dont you eq one of the overdubs different?, maybe try to boost some high-mid freqs, it will even it even more!

great overall sound so far!

Thanks man! smile.gif
It's tripled actually, one hard left and one hard right as well as one in the center with low volume.
Yes, I know they're way to loud this time! I raised the volume a bit so you could hear them better, and give better comments on the sound smile.gif

The drums lacks a lot of fullness and presence, but I didn't work on them too much this time..
Just added them to add to the background smile.gif
The drums are Steven Slate Drums (better than BFD or Superior in my opinion), and the samples are great smile.gif
Most of the kits you get are almost finished and already properly mixed, but I used a Dry Kit for this one and added some effects myself smile.gif

One of the guitars are EQ'ed differently, but not enough..
I can hear that as well after you mentioned it, thanks! smile.gif

Thanks a lot mate!

QUOTE (Staffy @ Mar 16 2010, 06:53 AM) *
I can't really say something new that has already been said here, it sounds great! The only issue is the one the other people also said - the guitars are too much in the front of the mix, eg. overshadowing the drums & the bass. Maybe they are even a little bit too "fat", if thats possible??? tongue.gif The timbre of both the guitars and drums are excellent, so I think level mixing is really whats needed, not abig issue... smile.gif

//Staffay

Thanks buddy!

Yeah, the guitars are up front, but they were supposed to this time aroud smile.gif
Maybe they are a little too fat, or maybe not... Hmmm...
I'll certainly experiment with this as well, thanks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Mar 16 2010, 11:15 AM
Jazz Instructor
Good riff! For my taste, soound should be fuller! Or, more heavy sound+rh mute!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 16 2010, 11:21 AM
QUOTE (Vasilije Vukmirovic @ Mar 16 2010, 11:15 AM) *
Good riff! For my taste, soound should be fuller! Or, more heavy sound+rh mute!

Thanks smile.gif

Fuller sound is noted, and I'll try with more distortion as well!

+Quote Post
zen
Mar 16 2010, 11:25 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Nothing to add to what others have commented ..I like your sound man ... also like what you played there smile.gif

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 16 2010, 12:54 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Staffy @ Mar 16 2010, 06:53 AM) *
... the guitars are too much in the front of the mix, eg. overshadowing the drums & the bass. Maybe they are even a little bit too "fat", if thats possible??? tongue.gif ...
//Staffay

I'd agree with this.

FWIW I actually think there is too much in the 2-4KHz area and because of it I found the overall sound tiring to listen to more than a few times. Because of it I'd concentrate more on eq'ing the 2-4K end downwards more than the low 200-500 Hz end.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 16 2010, 01:48 PM
QUOTE (zen @ Mar 16 2010, 11:25 AM) *
Nothing to add to what others have commented ..I like your sound man ... also like what you played there smile.gif

Thanks a lot smile.gif

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 16 2010, 12:54 PM) *
I'd agree with this.

FWIW I actually think there is too much in the 2-4KHz area and because of it I found the overall sound tiring to listen to more than a few times. Because of it I'd concentrate more on eq'ing the 2-4K end downwards more than the low 200-500 Hz end.

This isn't really a mix at all, as I wanted comments on the guitarsound first and foremost.

I'll try to do what you mention here, thanks smile.gif

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 16 2010, 03:24 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 16 2010, 12:54 PM) *
I'd agree with this.

That was really what I meant, are we using the same monitors or what??? laugh.gif
I don't really think there is no need to change the basic sound of the guitar at all, it will sound great with just some eq'ing and the right balance to the drums & bass. If vocals shall go on top of this, it's most important to not having a "full" mid-range since the ocals gonne get muddy from this, but thats just a though. I dont really know if You shall have vocals on this one Paal??????

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 16 2010, 03:28 PM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Mar 16 2010, 03:24 PM) *
That was really what I meant, are we using the same monitors or what??? laugh.gif
I don't really think there is no need to change the basic sound of the guitar at all, it will sound great with just some eq'ing and the right balance to the drums & bass. If vocals shall go on top of this, it's most important to not having a "full" mid-range since the ocals gonne get muddy from this, but thats just a though. I dont really know if You shall have vocals on this one Paal??????

//Staffay

There will be vocals on the song, although it's just the first riff that's part of the song in question.
The second riff I just improvised smile.gif

I'll post a more complete version in a little while!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Mar 16 2010, 03:40 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Mar 16 2010, 03:28 PM) *
There will be vocals on the song, although it's just the first riff that's part of the song in question.
The second riff I just improvised smile.gif

I'll post a more complete version in a little while!

Looking forward to that, buddy. I think it will be a good one!!!! biggrin.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 16 2010, 04:19 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Staffy @ Mar 16 2010, 03:24 PM) *

Yes biggrin.gif - I snuck in to your studio and gave the track a listen to on your monitors Staffay ph34r.gif

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Mar 25 2010, 11:56 PM
Instructor
hmmm, I don't know why I couldn't download this one

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Mar 26 2010, 12:01 AM
Doesn't matter Daniel, I've got a new version coming up later..
This doesn't sound too good when I listen to it now, and I've remixed the whole thing smile.gif

This post has been edited by audiopaal: Mar 26 2010, 12:01 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:38 AM