4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
New Monitors, but
jstcrsn
Jul 16 2014, 01:21 PM
Learning Tone Master
picked these up the other day http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MR8...CFc8F7AodwzcANw
I am so shocked on how much bass I have(way to much) to compensate for not having a bigger woofer.They sound awesome though, however, I have interference some where, I can't "track" down to get the buzzing out,so I am coming to the vast knowledge base that is gmc.
Any Ideas?
I have tried different outlets ,6ft cables

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 16 2014, 01:50 PM
GMC:er
Are there any knobs on the back of your speakers?

I had the same exact problem when I hooked up my KRK 8" last weekend.

On the back of each of mine there are 3 dials HF (High Frequency), LF (Low Frequency) and Volume.

Out of the box all three dials were set to 0 decibels.

Plus I had a subwoofer the two speakers are running from.

So, I turned the HF Dial up to 1 db, the LF I set initially to -2db, but after listening for a moment I brought it up to -1db, and for the Volume I set it as +3db.

That solved my problem, now they sound killer. I may decide to take the LF dial back down to -2dB simply because of the subwoofer and I am able to rumble the dishes in the kitchen if I turn up my system loud enough, plus, I'm going to have to remix all my original stuff to sound correct - but that will come in time.

I hope this helps.

I see you have 3 settings on the back of your MR8 too: LF, HF and volume.

The LF does not go below 0db, so leave it set at 0dB, turn up your High Frequency to +2db and then maybe put your volume dead in the middle - where the "U" is. See how that sounds.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Spock: Jul 16 2014, 01:52 PM

+Quote Post
Mith
Jul 16 2014, 02:13 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
check that your using a balanced cable. if you are check were it runs and make sure it doesn't run alongside an electrical power cable. If it is near and electrical power cable try make it cross at 90 degrees. If there is still hum you could have a ground loop somewhere

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 17 2014, 10:04 AM
Did you ever get you monitor issue worked out?

I'm sure the scratchiness must have been a cord in the chain or a connection. With nice monitors like that, make sure you have some top of the line connections to compliment them.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jul 17 2014, 05:28 PM
Turn guitar away from monitors?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 17 2014, 06:59 PM
SWEEEEEET!!!!! Those are freaking spiff!!!!!!!! See if you can isolate it by removing everything from the signal path. Just use an ipod or some such and plug the speakers in. That way you can see if its in the speakers or the juice from the wall.

P.S. I think those are "SHIELDED" but make sure on the vendor web site. Then move them close to and the away from your computer monitor to see if the monitor is causing the buzz. Do the same with your guitar. Active pickups can sometimes cause this effect in some speakers.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 16 2014, 08:21 AM) *
picked these up the other day http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MR8...CFc8F7AodwzcANw
I am so shocked on how much bass I have(way to much) to compensate for not having a bigger woofer.They sound awesome though, however, I have interference some where, I can't "track" down to get the buzzing out,so I am coming to the vast knowledge base that is gmc.
Any Ideas?
I have tried different outlets ,6ft cables

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 17 2014, 07:01 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 18 2014, 08:14 AM
Instructor
Nice ones! I was THIS close to getting them, but the Yamaha proved more organic sounding, as the KRKs are fitting for electronic music a bit more smile.gif It's the same thing that happens when you keep a phone close to them - if it rings, you will hear that specific sound in the monitors. The guys have already spotted a few possibilities, so please let us know if it worked out smile.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 18 2014, 11:59 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 18 2014, 08:14 AM) *
Nice ones! I was THIS close to getting them, but the Yamaha proved more organic sounding, as the KRKs are fitting for electronic music a bit more smile.gif It's the same thing that happens when you keep a phone close to them - if it rings, you will hear that specific sound in the monitors. The guys have already spotted a few possibilities, so please let us know if it worked out smile.gif
Have already made the decision to get the yamaha HS8"s instead,I liked those better , but they were 200 more for the pair ,but I found a deal on ebay

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 18 2014, 12:17 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Where ever possible you should use balanced connections i.e. preferably the XLR and if you can't then th TRS jack. Unbalanced is more likey to suffer from interference. Even so never run an audio lead parallel to a mains lead, they should be at 90 degrees.

The filter switches are there more as a rough attempt to provide some compensation for rooms that need more sound treatment.

The vast majority/all reasonably recent studio monitors are shielded and so unlikely to pick up interference from a computer screen..

You don't need to use expensive XLR leads just good quality ones with preferably nuetrik connectors.

Finally - try putting acoustic foam in to rear port to close it. You'll lose a little bass end but what you will gain is less boom, better timing and less distortion.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 18 2014, 09:56 PM
Make sure there is a "RETURN" option on your ebay purchase smile.gif The last thing you want is to buy something and not have any options if something goes wrong.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 18 2014, 06:59 AM) *
Have already made the decision to get the yamaha HS8"s instead,I liked those better , but they were 200 more for the pair ,but I found a deal on ebay

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 18 2014, 10:56 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 18 2014, 03:14 AM) *
as the KRKs are fitting for electronic music a bit more smile.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 19 2014, 11:11 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 18 2014, 09:56 PM) *
Attached Image

Yeah man, this is what I discovered when I went to buy my pair last year. I was aiming for the KRK RoKit8 and I compared it with the Yamaha HS7 which I subsequently bought. The Yamaha was more to my taste than the KRKs - and when we tested various music styles through the different monitors that were in that price range, I discovered that the KRKs were very sterile in comparison to the Yamaha HS7, so Itook the Yamaha without any hesitation.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 19 2014, 05:21 PM
I think what COSMIN is talking about here is the fact that the YAMAHA are a bit better for mixing (straight out of the box after purchase) due to the fact that they are a bit "flatter" and more neutral. Off the shelf, the KRK are a bit accentuated in terms of highs/lows. The KRK need to be tuned to whatever room you put them in, typically by reducing the treble with the knob on back and moving them out from the wall to reduce bass. The yamaha hs8 don't require quite as much of this sorta thing in home studio use in my experience, but some smile.gif

So in a side by side listen on the shelf in a music store, the the KRK would sound boomy/tweety in many cases compared to an HS8 or ADAM etc.

QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 18 2014, 05:56 PM) *
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 20 2014, 07:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 19 2014, 04:21 PM) *
I think what COSMIN is talking about here is the fact that the YAMAHA are a bit better for mixing (straight out of the box after purchase) due to the fact that they are a bit "flatter" and more neutral. Off the shelf, the KRK are a bit accentuated in terms of highs/lows. The KRK need to be tuned to whatever room you put them in, typically by reducing the treble with the knob on back and moving them out from the wall to reduce bass. The yamaha hs8 don't require quite as much of this sorta thing in home studio use in my experience, but some smile.gif

So in a side by side listen on the shelf in a music store, the the KRK would sound boomy/tweety in many cases compared to an HS8 or ADAM etc.

Todd expressed things very well - the sound characteristics of the KRKs made them sound like being more fitting for electronic music, due to the accentuated low/high frequency response. But at that point, it was enough for that gut feeling to install and tell me I should get the Yamaha - and I am very satisfied with my choice wink.gif

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 20 2014, 10:05 AM
That's cool, I would have to hear both side by side to understand what you are talking about - "flatter" I think I understand, but not sure.

I use mine for everything from listening to my iTunes library, recording to You-Tube videos, they're the only speakers I used on my computer, except for occasionally headphones.

The only thing now is I'm having to get use to all the bass. It's not a bad thing, it's just that I have gone all these years without having deep low end and it makes such a massive difference. If I had purchased these KRK8s before the subwoofer, I may have not needed the subwoofer at all, but having that underlying bottom end is really cool, and it something else to really, really have to consider in doing any kind of recording now.

This post has been edited by Spock: Jul 20 2014, 10:06 AM

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 20 2014, 11:50 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Flat basically just means that the monitor reproduces the full spectrum without empasising any particular portion of it. No monitor is perfectly flat but you try to get as flat as possible since for tracking/mixing/mastering the 'flatter' the better. Many mixing monitors deliberately hype parts of the spectrum to emphasise, for instance, vocal midrange, when they do hype the monitor becomes more 'musical' but less suited for making clinical mix decisions.

Things though aren't all about being 'flat', another aspect tat is important is how quickly frequencies decay. If they don't then a note n a bass guitar, for instance, may end up not finishing before the next so the bass starts to wallow and ring on unnaturally. A lot of ported monitors tend to suffer from this and it ruins timing information. If you want to check for this ou need to look at the waterfall plots of a monitor and not just the standard 2d spectrum plots.

It's also worth remembering that it depends on how the monitors suit your room. A shop demo can give you some idea but it isn't ideal. Some shops will let you have a home demo provided that ou really are serious about buying.

By the way - an 8'' with a sub would need quite careful siting and a fair bit of bass trapping.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 20 2014, 10:26 PM
Mr. Miro brings up a CRUCIAL point here per usual!!!

Now that you have 8 inch monitors, and a Sub, you may experience "overbass". Basically, too much bass causing odd frequency cancellation and increasing likelihood of "standing waves" in your listening area. E.G. your room may lie to your ears about what's happening in your mix.

once you have big monitors and a sub, you need to look at BASS TRAPS. This is a new word I know. But it's one worth looking at. You should try to set up your rig so that you can turn the sub on and off to test your mix with and without the sub present. You'll need to find the right "crossover" point. E.G. The point where the subwoofer takes over the bass duties and the monitors fall off.

You may not need the sub to be honest. The sub is best paired with smaller monitors like 3 or 5 inch that lack deep bass response. You could always sell the sub to help "sub"sidize your new purchases smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 20 2014, 06:50 AM) *
Flat basically just means that the monitor reproduces the full spectrum without empasising any particular portion of it. No monitor is perfectly flat but you try to get as flat as possible since for tracking/mixing/mastering the 'flatter' the better. Many mixing monitors deliberately hype parts of the spectrum to emphasise, for instance, vocal midrange, when they do hype the monitor becomes more 'musical' but less suited for making clinical mix decisions.

Things though aren't all about being 'flat', another aspect tat is important is how quickly frequencies decay. If they don't then a note n a bass guitar, for instance, may end up not finishing before the next so the bass starts to wallow and ring on unnaturally. A lot of ported monitors tend to suffer from this and it ruins timing information. If you want to check for this ou need to look at the waterfall plots of a monitor and not just the standard 2d spectrum plots.

It's also worth remembering that it depends on how the monitors suit your room. A shop demo can give you some idea but it isn't ideal. Some shops will let you have a home demo provided that ou really are serious about buying.

By the way - an 8'' with a sub would need quite careful siting and a fair bit of bass trapping.

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 20 2014, 11:45 PM
I had considered that about selling the sub - but I've been back there for the past hour and have it all sounding pretty dang good.

I had to cut back on the bass volume coming out of the sub, then I put some bass back into the 8" and came back off the treble on the 8".

So now on the 8" I have my volume set at +0dB, Bass at -1dB and Highs at 0db.

I adjusted while listening to Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morissette which is a really good album to listen to while adjusting sound IMO.

So, right now I'm good - may adjust some more in the future.

Bass traps are definitely something I would like to get though, I've wanted those for just my entertainment system. And I would have to say, for the space I am using, this speaker set-tup is ridiculous overkill, but I already gave my 5s to my son.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 21 2014, 01:39 AM
I'm guessing Mr. Miro will say this as well as soon as he sees this picture, but you may need to rethink your speaker placement sad.gif I get where your coming from and I see your dilemma and you've got a very creative solution there smile.gif however, the speaker placement, as it is will lend itself to misleading your ears a bit as to whats going on. The speakers being that high up, and the tweeter in particular will sorta miss your ears.

Sonically, you'd be better off stacking the computer monitors vertically in the middle and giving the right/left areas to your KRK monitors to let them sit in the "sweet spot" pointing at your head. But I'm guessing you have spend wads of time setting this up and are not wanting to redo it at this point. But when you get the urge to make changes, thats one I'd go for first smile.gif

The good news is your rig certainly is looking spiff!

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 21 2014, 01:40 AM

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 21 2014, 02:19 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 20 2014, 08:39 PM) *
I'm guessing Mr. Miro will say this as well as soon as he sees this picture, but you may need to rethink your speaker placement sad.gif I get where your coming from and I see your dilemma and you've got a very creative solution there smile.gif however, the speaker placement, as it is will lend itself to misleading your ears a bit as to whats going on. The speakers being that high up, and the tweeter in particular will sorta miss your ears.

Sonically, you'd be better off stacking the computer monitors vertically in the middle and giving the right/left areas to your KRK monitors to let them sit in the "sweet spot" pointing at your head. But I'm guessing you have spend wads of time setting this up and are not wanting to redo it at this point. But when you get the urge to make changes, thats one I'd go for first smile.gif

The good news is your rig certainly is looking spiff!

Todd

You're right Todd - I did try it out with the monitors placed on their side where the two side screens are now, and that was the best sounding position. I had the screens placed on top of the monitors but I wasn't sure if I could get used to that, looking up.

I wish I could go wider but there is no more room on either side, and really it wouldn't take anything to switch the positions back so the speakers are head level.

There's got to be some sort of workable solution that I can live with - I'll have to figure something out.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:20 AM