2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Sing Or Scream?, A Tough Decision
chaostar
May 25 2010, 08:26 PM
GMC:er
Hey GMC, I have quite the dilemma. For about a year now, I have been struggling with a choice. I Want to learn vocals to go along with the guitar but I do not know what I should do. The choice is learn to sing (like Kamelot) or learn to growl (like Behemoth or Chthonic). I obviously cannot do both. People tell me that I have good range yet I know I do not have tone. I am in love with all kinds of metal, especially the bands listed above. But if I had to pick a favorite band, it would be Kamelot. And I am currently making music that has soft guitars yet aggressive drums and bass. I am also intrigued in symphinic elements as well as a huge range of other genres. Please tell me what should I choose. More aggressive or more melodic?

Thanks,
Alex

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Electric
Fender Stratocaster self scalloped and personalized
Ibanez SA currently scalloping
Gibson Les Paul 1981 Original
Gibson Les Paul 1989

Acoustic
Fender Del Mar

Amps and Electronics
Line Six Spider III 15w
Soldano 100w Cabinet
Vox Head
Vox Multi-effect

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 25 2010, 08:52 PM
Learning Tone Master
Why can't you learn both?
There are thousands of singers who can sing clean and switch to shouts, screams and growls within an instant! All those techniques are singing techniques - the tones are created with diffrent parts of your throat but the basic techniques like air flow control or the right breathing are the same!

Don't limit yourself to one style if you want to do both, improving one style will definitely give you a benefit for the other styles!

Here are some singers who do both singing and screaming/growling:

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
chaostar
May 25 2010, 09:45 PM
i thought death vocals destroy your range and voice?!?! If I can truly do both, that would be epic!

--------------------
Electric
Gibson Les Paul 1989

Acoustic
Fender Del Mar

Amps and Electronics
Line Six Spider III 15w
Soldano 100w Cabinet
Vox Head
Vox Multi-effect

+Quote Post
Dexxter
May 25 2010, 09:48 PM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (chaostar @ May 25 2010, 10:45 PM) *
i thought death vocals destroy your range and voice?!?! If I can truly do both, that would be epic!

Only if you do them with the wrong (without) technique.. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 25 2010, 09:56 PM
Learning Tone Master
Every wrong vocal technique can hurt your throat!
If you would try too hard (with too much force) to reach high notes singing for example Kamelot stuff you can kill your falsetto voice forever! Same goes for growling and shouting techniques - if it hurts then you are doing it wrong!

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 25 2010, 10:19 PM
Learning Roadie
You weren't created to kill your voice. No matter how you scream, whether it's "wrong" or "right" it will hurt your voice. Go for melodic. smile.gif

(although screaming can sound cool every now and then. I like Red. They do a bit of screaming, but mainly sing. It's actually one guy doing the vocals; the leader singer, Michael.)

This post has been edited by thefireball: May 25 2010, 10:21 PM

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 25 2010, 11:25 PM
Learning Tone Master
Screaming and Growling can very well be done without hurting your vocal cords or your throat but it has to be preacticed like any other instrument!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 26 2010, 01:54 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 25 2010, 05:25 PM) *
Screaming and Growling can very well be done without hurting your vocal cords or your throat but it has to be preacticed like any other instrument!

I'd like to get a medical doctor that deals with this stuff to see his/her answer. I don't understand how it can't hurt your voice.

+Quote Post
Dexxter
May 26 2010, 01:59 AM
Learning Tone Guru
QUOTE (thefireball @ May 26 2010, 02:54 AM) *
I'd like to get a medical doctor that deals with this stuff to see his/her answer. I don't understand how it can't hurt your voice.

I think singers that actually do this knows this better smile.gif Check out Luciana's lesson on Screaming, she started a series awhile ago, it's just one lesson at the moment but it's all there smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 26 2010, 03:05 AM
Instructor
It's all about practice. Screams and growls can actually be pretty "easy" on the throat, and demanding just like any other vocal technique. Zakk is right - any singing that is not proper can hurt your throat, so it would be best not to push it when it hurts - this is the sure sign that something is wrong.

Don't be scared to try and be persistant. Good scream/growl doesn't happen over night, so try as much as possible to find the technique that is needed. Analyze what experts on these techniques say, and see how to implement that.

Good luck! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 26 2010, 03:27 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
The trick is with screaming and growling, is too produce to desired sound without over exertion of air. I know it kind of does boil down to a strong release of air, But when you know what you are doing - It doesnt do any harm to your vocal chords. I have been practicing for a few years, and I have learned to scream from my chest and not my throat - Which reduced a lot of friction for me. Also, You can do little tricks like apply pressure with your hand to your stomach when you scream or growl which helps the balance of oxygen.

Also, you can learn both - No problem. I have been practicing clean vocals for about a month now, and its coming along nicely. I mean, by all standards and comparisons I suck tongue.gif But Its something I can develop I think.

Lastly, with screaming and growling - Its not like singing in many ways besides the obvious. First off, Developing a sound and tone is not the same as with clean vocals, your tone is not as easy to control. Basically you sound like what you sound like. I learned this from Tommy Rogers of Between The Buried And Me, He said that you can't really hope to sound like someone else or want to sound like something too specific in the beginning. You have to find out what your capable of, where your range and tone come from, and develop from there.

This is just what has worked for me - Screaming and growling is about 80% experimentation and trial and error. But make sure if you starting screaming or growling a certain way and it hurts too much, stop. It will hurt in the beginning until you have built a tolerance for it, but if it gets to the point where its pain, and not just a tingling or little burning. Stop.

EDIT

Also, this is traditionally not recommended for "traditional" singers, but drinking some chocolate milk when you are screaming and growling can help you. Mark Jansen of Epica does it, and Simone Simmons explains on a DVD Documentary that the milk coats your vocal chords, which would make a normal singer have to try harder, but for screaming - It protects them smile.gif

QUOTE (thefireball @ May 25 2010, 05:54 PM) *

When its done wrong you will know. Your vocal chords will develop little bumps called nodes which can be pretty harmful (Angela Gossow talked about it happening to her in her early years - And she had to learn new technique). I saw a doctor about it when I did a lot of vocal recording then got the flu and some very bad pain in my throat. Turns out my vocal chords were fine, I had not done any harm and showed no harm done to them (3 years into screaming/ growling) I just had an infection.

My doctor told me that I should be fine if I had been doing it this long and had not show any signs of damage. So there is a right way to do it, Its just something that cant really be taught like with normal singing. You have to learn to avoid damage pretty much on your own, It varies so much from person to person.

PS

I have seen doctors about my voice and hearing since I have a possibility some genetically inherited diseases which can show signs through throat and inner ear problems.

+Quote Post
thefireball
May 26 2010, 03:53 AM
Learning Roadie
Well, it don't make me no difference anyways. I can't sing, much less growl. biggrin.gif Not my style to growl anyways. smile.gif

Thanks though.

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
May 26 2010, 05:35 AM
I suggest both too, sing and controlled screaming inbetween to give an omff! Sometimes it's another band member doing the screaming. Still need lyrics in the screams that can be understood to be good. Backup reinforment?

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: May 26 2010, 05:37 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
MickeM
May 26 2010, 09:02 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Dexxter @ May 25 2010, 10:48 PM) *
Only if you do them with the wrong (without) technique.. smile.gif

...and without a mic laugh.gif

+Quote Post
chaostar
May 26 2010, 02:39 PM
That was very informative guys. I must say you have truly made my day/week/year. I had no idea you can do both. I am going to get singing lessons since I already know how to growl from the diaphragm. I just got to develop it more. The lessons are going to suck. I have such a shitty tone but hopefully I will learn how to work with it.

Thanks for everything guys,
you answered my question and helped me to the fullest,
Alex

PS.
@Uncreator,
I HAVE noticed that milk does something to your vocals cords. I have done it a couple of times on accident and I have got great effects. But I got worried when I could not feel anything so I stopped haha. I will look more into it. Thanks dude.

--------------------
Electric
Gibson Les Paul 1989

Acoustic
Fender Del Mar

Amps and Electronics
Line Six Spider III 15w
Soldano 100w Cabinet
Vox Head
Vox Multi-effect

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 26 2010, 07:31 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Yeah you should definitely work on both. But I would recommend first learning to sing clean and then developing different techniques. Don't worry much about tone and color, with some lessons you can learn how to sing pretty well! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Skewlbuzz
May 27 2010, 10:01 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (thefireball @ May 26 2010, 02:54 AM) *

Well the way you create different sounds is too complicated for me to write here, but basicly the larynx (meaning "flute") and it's two vocal folds form a pair of bellows.

You blow air through the larynx, the vocal folds start vibrating and sound is generated. Increased velocity/amount of air gives an increase in volume. The position of the vocal folds determines the tone produced.
The pharynx serves as a resonance chamber, and speech results from the change in tongue, lip and soft palate position.

Back to the original question, overuse or wrong use of this "instrument" can damage the vocal folds. They are small folds of mucous membrane and kinda fragile (imagine them becoming frayed from overload). Being the most important part of all of this, this is of course not a good thing.

Have you ever been hoarse after a long night of partying? There you have the effect of mild damage to your vocal folds.

Now I'm not a singer, so I can't say what in fact is wrong use.

This post has been edited by Skewlbuzz: May 27 2010, 10:03 AM

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Gus
May 31 2010, 01:22 AM
About two years ago, I used to think myself as hopeless in vocals. It turned out that is like any other instrument. It takes a long time to learn but it can be done with proper practice.
However I can see two main differences about singing compared to other instruments:
1) It is really easy to over-practice. dry.gif
2) Nobody can really teach what you can do with your vocals but yourself. A lot of it is about experimentation. You have to figure out "that works, that don't"
I really think that you should not "try to run before you learn to walk". So screaming and high notes are not a good thing if you do not control techniques such as breathing and support.
That's what I decided to do. I'd like to have a more crispy rock sound like nickelback or soundgarden, but my voice is really more like Elvis... So I am not really trying to scream or anything at least until I feel it is time to learn the technique. Instead, I try to find songs which better suit my voice and try to make one step a time from there. So far, I had a lot of progress.

As for style I do not really like growling. For instance, I really like Corey Taylor much more in "Stone Sour" than in Slipknot. Still I respect him a lot for being able to use vocals in such different ways. But it takes time and self knowledge to do such a thing. And also to know when not to do it. Check out what he says in 1:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmmzImQv_BA#t=1m14s

In summary, for advice:
1) Take care of your vocal chords. Even better than you do with your guitar
2) Don't push yourself to imitate your favorite singer. Experiment a little bit and you will find your own style and limits.
3) Give time to time and practice wink.gif

This post has been edited by Gus: May 31 2010, 01:31 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 10 2010, 01:00 AM
Instructor
yes you can do both,

I think is way more challenging to "sing"

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Karl-ss
Jul 10 2010, 01:39 AM
Screw singing! GROWLS FOR LIFE!

--------------------
METAL UP YOURS!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:41 PM