> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

Gabe's Video Chat Lesson Notes
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 23 2011, 06:48 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! In this thread you will find the lesson notes for my Video Chats. The notes will be posted before or after the session depending on the topic.

GMC VIDEO CHAT LESSON #1 – WARMING UP & ENDURANCE

Hey guys! From today we will start a course to developed our technique with very intensive guitar exercises. If you follow my next video chat you will be able to create a diary routine that is very effective to improve your playing. One of the most important thing for a successful routine is a good warming up. In this first video chat I will share some Warming up exercises that we will also use to train our endurance.

We will start stretching our arms, hands and finger. This is very important because we must start our routine relaxed and with out muscles stretched. I learnt this exercises from John Petrucci's Rock Discipline Video.

+ STRETCHING (check out the different movements in the video chat)

And now the exercises.

+EXERCISE FOR WARMING UP This is a very good exercise to start moving your fingers before an intensive routine. We will play it in every group of strings.

Attached File  Ex_1.bmp ( 699.11K ) Number of downloads: 249

Attached File  Ex_1.gp5 ( 2.03K ) Number of downloads: 133

+WARMING UP & ENDURANCE EXERCISES: This exercises must be played as a loop as long as you can avoiding hurting your hands or muscles. My guitar teacher Charly Vega (r.i.p.) shared this exercises with me 14 years ago and I still continue using them for warming and and fingers training.

Attached File  7_Exercises_for_Warming_up___Endurance.gp5 ( 3.37K ) Number of downloads: 146

Practice this exercises every day for at least one hour diving the minutes to play each one the same amount of time. Don’t hurt yourself!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 30 2011, 05:29 PM
Instructor
GMC VIDEO CHAT LESSON #2 – LEFT HAND / KOTZEN PATTERN

Hello guys! In this second Video Chat we continue with our Technique course with an intensive work of our left hand. We will take a Kotzen Style short pattern and we will develop it in different ways. The idea is that you take the concept of this video chat and do the same thing with lots of different patterns. So pay attention and then let you imagination fly! smile.gif

We will start with our warming up using the exercises and stretching that I showed you in Video Chat #1.

This is the Pattern that we will use in the different exercises.

Attached File  Pattern.gp5 ( 1.6K ) Number of downloads: 125

and now some licks & exercises by Richie Kotzen

Attached File  Exercises.gp5 ( 2.07K ) Number of downloads: 132

Finally we will play the pattern in different direction using the A minor scale. The idea of this last part is to use the exercise to train your left hand so turn on your metronome and start working!

Remember! Work hard but don't hurt your fingers! wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 11 2012, 05:52 PM
Instructor
GMC VIDEO CHAT LESSON #3 – RIGHT HAND / ALTERNATE PICKING

Hello guys! This are the lesson notes for the 3rd Video Chat lesson of this Intensive Technique Course. In this one we will start working on our right hand Alternate Picking technique. We will work on single string exercises to concentrate on the motion and the sound.

Some important items about this technique.

• It basically means alternation between downstrokes and upstrokes.
• It can also help your timing for funk rhythms.
• It lets you use your mind to other things since the motion can be automated.
• Get in the habit of holding the pick between your thumb and your forefinger.
• Keep the exposed area of the pick to a minimum. (for precision)
• Try to do the movements the smaller than possible.

First we will stretch our muscles as always and play some warming up exercises from the first Vchat session.

We will start playing 16th notes on each open string over metronome. The idea is to get a smooth sound, with an equal intensity for every note and a perfect timing. Use palm muting in the lower strings.

Exercise 1

Attached File  Exercise_1.gp5 ( 3.65K ) Number of downloads: 137

Attached File  Exercise_1.pdf ( 120.98K ) Number of downloads: 122

Our second exercise continues with the same idea of 16th but includes some 8th fret notes over the fret board. It’s the introduction for the Iron Maiden’s song “Wasted Years”.

Attached File  Wasted_Years_Intro.gp5 ( 2.49K ) Number of downloads: 128

Finally I will share 3 different patterns that we will use to practice this technique over different scales. In this case I will work over A minor.

These are the patterns:

Attached File  3_Patterns.gp5 ( 2.35K ) Number of downloads: 120

Attached File  3_Patterns.pdf ( 68.07K ) Number of downloads: 134

Ok guys, See you in the chat to develop this concepts and to answer your questions!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mad
Jan 12 2012, 04:49 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Hey Gabe!

Really enjoyed the chat yesterday. Few questions regarding the warmup excercises - sorry, didn't follow that in depth.
1. The first exercise (1-2-3-4 groupings on every string): should I use alt. picking or sweep for that? I find it quite hard not to let open strings ring out while practicing with sweep picking..
2. The first exercise in the 7 ex endurance: are all the notes played legato while looping? I find this exercise the hardest because of the open string pull-off/hammer-on

thanks!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2012, 01:56 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (mad @ Jan 12 2012, 12:49 PM) *
Hey Gabe!

Really enjoyed the chat yesterday. Few questions regarding the warmup excercises - sorry, didn't follow that in depth.
1. The first exercise (1-2-3-4 groupings on every string): should I use alt. picking or sweep for that? I find it quite hard not to let open strings ring out while practicing with sweep picking..
2. The first exercise in the 7 ex endurance: are all the notes played legato while looping? I find this exercise the hardest because of the open string pull-off/hammer-on

thanks!

Hi mate! I'm glad to know that you enjoyed the VideoChat!! I hope to see you in tomorrow's one! smile.gif

1. I prefer practising this exercise with Alternate Picking technique because it's more difficult for me but using both techniques would be the best option. Start working AP and then use it to work your Sweep Picking technique. About muting strings in the Sweep Picking version.. I use the palm of my right hand to mute the lower strings when I'm now playing them. I mute the second string with the index finger of my left hand.

Check out this two pics that I took with my phone to see what I'm talking about...

Attached Image

Attached Image

2. Yes, all the notes are played with legato, you don't have to use your pick for this one. At first you can help yourself with a lot of gain or a compressor but with some practice it should sound good even in an acoustic guitar.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
mad
Jan 13 2012, 09:19 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Thank you! Especially for the photos - great views!
I realised the problem with muting is/was the fretting hand (or the index finger). Now that I'm aware of this, I practice really slowly and keep an eye on the index - it's getting more and more better.
The legato licks are tough when playing them for an hour in a warmup routine.. I hardly manage to get to ex4 tongue.gif
The first one is still bugging me: the pinky pull-off sounds awful - but yeah, I'll just put another overdrive-pedal in my TH2-preset for that and practicing will become more 'interesting' happy.gif

I'll be checking a little later on the v-chat today.. see you there

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2012, 03:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mad @ Jan 13 2012, 05:19 AM) *
Thank you! Especially for the photos - great views!
I realised the problem with muting is/was the fretting hand (or the index finger). Now that I'm aware of this, I practice really slowly and keep an eye on the index - it's getting more and more better.
The legato licks are tough when playing them for an hour in a warmup routine.. I hardly manage to get to ex4 tongue.gif
The first one is still bugging me: the pinky pull-off sounds awful - but yeah, I'll just put another overdrive-pedal in my TH2-preset for that and practicing will become more 'interesting' happy.gif

I'll be checking a little later on the v-chat today.. see you there

Thanks!

That sounds great man! Muting the unwanted noises is as important as playing good or fast. It's something that takes some time but with practice it becames something automatic and you can then concentrated in the things that you are playing. Keep on working hard and feel free to ask more questions or to post videos here to see your evolution. See you at the Vchat!!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 13 2012, 07:28 PM
Instructor
GMC VIDEO CHAT LESSON #4 - RIGHT HAND II / ALTERNATE PICKING & HANDS SYNCHRONIZATION

Hello guys! Welcome to the lesson notes for the 4th Vchat of these Intensive Technique Course. Today we will continue working on single string alternate picking exercises. I will introduce some new exercises and also some new patterns that can be developed in the whole neck in different scales.

First we will do our warming up and then I will summarize the most important concepts and exercises from our previous. If you have attended to all the previous chats you can use this part of the session for practicing. At the end of this course we will have constructed a very useful and effective technique routine.

+ Exercises for synchronization:

The first two single strings exercises can be found in this Guitar pro file. The first one is a Chromatic exercise that is very useful to train your right hand but also to work on the synchronization of both hands. The second one is an Angus Young style exercise and the tricky part is once again to synchronize both hands.

Attached File  First_Exercises_Chat__4.gp5 ( 3.77K ) Number of downloads: 122

Exercise 1
  S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S    S S S S S S S S S S S  S  S  S S S  
E||--1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-3-4-5-6-7-6-5-4-|--5-6-7-8-9-8-7-6-7-8-9-10-11-10-9-8-|
B||----------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
G||----------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
D||----------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
A||----------------------------------|-------------------------------------|
E||----------------------------------|-------------------------------------|

S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S S
--9-10-11-12-13-12-11-10-9-10-11-12-11-10-9-8-|--7-8-9-10-9-8-7-6-5-6-7-8-7-6-5-4-|
----------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------|
----------------------------------------------|-----------------------------------|

S S S S S S S S H
--3-4-5-6-5-4-3-2----------|-----------|-----------|-----------||
---------------------------|-----------|-----------|-----------||

Exercise 2
  |--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|     |--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|   
E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E E
E||--7--4--0--7--4--0--7--4--0--7--4--0--|--8--5--0--8--5--0--8--5--0--8--5--0--|
B||--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
G||--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
D||--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
A||--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
E||--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|

|--3--| |--3--| |--3--| |--3--| |--3--| |--3--| |--3--| |--3--|
--7--4--0--7--4--0--7--4--0--7--4--0--|--8--5--0--8--5--0--8--5--0--8--5--0--|
--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|

--12--8--0--12--8--0--12--8--0--12--8--0--|--10--7--0--10--7--0--10--7--0--10--7--0--|
------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------|
------------------------------------------|------------------------------------------|

--8--5--0--8--5--0--8--5--0--8--5--0--|--7--4--0--7--4--0--7--4--0--7--4--0--||
--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------||

+ Three Neoclassical Patterns:
And here I’m sharing three patterns in the style of Vinnie Moore and Yngwie Malmsteen that we will use to create exercises and improvisations.

Attached File  3_Patterns.gp5 ( 2K ) Number of downloads: 112

Pattern 1
E E E E H
E||--8--5--7--8-----------||
B||-----------------------||
G||-----------------------||
D||-----------------------||
A||-----------------------||
E||-----------------------||

Pattern 2
E E E E H
E||--5--8--7--8-----------||
B||-----------------------||
G||-----------------------||
D||-----------------------||
A||-----------------------||
E||-----------------------||

Pattern 3
|--3--| |--3--|
E E E E E E H
E||--8--5--7--8--7--5-----------||
B||-----------------------------||
G||-----------------------------||
D||-----------------------------||
A||-----------------------------||
E||-----------------------------||

See you at the chat!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 14 2012, 08:43 PM
Instructor
These are great exercises Gab, I should follow it up. Good luck with the Muris lesson man, I hope you do it soon smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 15 2012, 09:22 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 14 2012, 04:43 PM) *
These are great exercises Gab, I should follow it up. Good luck with the Muris lesson man, I hope you do it soon smile.gif

thanks mate!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 25 2012, 07:07 PM
Instructor
GMC VIDEO CHAT LESSON #5 – RIGHT HAND III /ALTERNATE PICKING (Crossing strings)

Hello guys! These are the lesson notes for the 5th Vchat of these Intensive Technique Course. In this session we will continue working on our right hand technique.
As always we will start with the stretching, warming up and a sum up of all the exercises and concepts that we have seen in the previous sessions.

Then we will start with the exercise. In this first “crossing strings” edition I will share two chromatic exercises and then some Pentatonic exercises that we will develop vertically and horizontally using the A Minor Pentatonic Scale.

Some tips to have in mind while practising:

+ Try to make small motion of your right hand’s picking when you are crossing strings.
+ Pay attention to the angle of your playing (we talked about this in the previous AP session). You can use a mirror to follow the motion of your pick.
+ Use metronome or any backing track in A minor for practicing. Metronome is better because you can increase and decrease the tempo depending on your level and speed.
+ Always experiment and make your own variations of the exercises.

Chromatic Exercises
Attached File  Chromatic_Exercises.gp5 ( 4.44K ) Number of downloads: 104

Attached File  Chromatic_Exercise_1.pdf ( 75.45K ) Number of downloads: 117

Attached File  Chromatic_Exercise_2.pdf ( 58.41K ) Number of downloads: 118

Pentatonic Exercises
Attached File  Pentatonic_Exercises.gp5 ( 2.75K ) Number of downloads: 104

Attached File  Pentatonic_Exercise_1.pdf ( 42.09K ) Number of downloads: 141

Attached File  Pentatonic_Exercise_2.pdf ( 42.09K ) Number of downloads: 157

Attached File  Pentatonic_Exercise_3.pdf ( 57.05K ) Number of downloads: 116

Scale Used

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Olivier777
Jan 26 2012, 11:28 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
A few months ago I wanted to "express my musical ideas" rolleyes.gif around this theme from a famous videogame I finished when I was 12 (haaa inspiration sometimes works in mysterious ways...)

http://youtu.be/1PQuAdn26Qg

But somehow I gave up because...err hum. I was sort of lost trying to figure out what scale to use and ended up going on undefined scales at wierd tempos rolleyes.gif

And yesterday at the beginning of the chat session when you started with this neoclassical lick I gotta say you totally nailed the feeling of it in a very cool and shreddy way, and that descending run you do at the end was just awesome !

Because I didn't attend to earlier chat session I had a hard time following your moves, So I just have one question : do you stick to A minor harmonic scale on this one or do you switch to other scales ? You could definitly make a cool tune or GMC lesson out of this biggrin.gif it would definitly be on my "must learn" list.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 26 2012, 04:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Olivier777 @ Jan 26 2012, 07:28 AM) *
A few months ago I wanted to "express my musical ideas" rolleyes.gif around this theme from a famous videogame I finished when I was 12 (haaa inspiration sometimes works in mysterious ways...)

http://youtu.be/1PQuAdn26Qg

But somehow I gave up because...err hum. I was sort of lost trying to figure out what scale to use and ended up going on undefined scales at wierd tempos rolleyes.gif

And yesterday at the beginning of the chat session when you started with this neoclassical lick I gotta say you totally nailed the feeling of it in a very cool and shreddy way, and that descending run you do at the end was just awesome !

Because I didn't attend to earlier chat session I had a hard time following your moves, So I just have one question : do you stick to A minor harmonic scale on this one or do you switch to other scales ? You could definitly make a cool tune or GMC lesson out of this biggrin.gif it would definitly be on my "must learn" list.

hahah it's true man!! I didn't remember this music.. I'll do a lesson inspired on this one! smile.gif

The scales that I used for the etude that you are talking about are A minor and A harmonic minor... I alternate from one scale to the other one. I played two etudes that are similar, this is one of them..

the thing that defines this idea is the classical pattern that is used... it's the same short pattern all the time in different parts of the minor scale. Check out the pattern 2 of our Chat number 4... that's the pattern used in this tunes!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Olivier777
Jan 26 2012, 06:45 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 26 2012, 04:40 PM) *
hahah it's true man!! I didn't remember this music.. I'll do a lesson inspired on this one! smile.gif

Wow Awesome !! smile.gif

The scales that I used for the etude that you are talking about are A minor and A harmonic minor... I alternate from one scale to the other one. I played two etudes that are similar, this is one of them..

the thing that defines this idea is the classical pattern that is used... it's the same short pattern all the time in different parts of the minor scale. Check out the pattern 2 of our Chat number 4... that's the pattern used in this tunes!

hehe I'll check this out right away ! cool.gif

This post has been edited by Olivier777: Jan 26 2012, 06:46 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 27 2012, 07:24 PM
Instructor
GMC VIDEO CHAT LESSON #6 – RIGHT HAND IV /ALTERNATE PICKING (Crossing strings)

Hello guys! Welcome to the second part of our training for crossing strings. This time we will convert ourselves in Paul Gilbert (or Buckethead if you prefer it) and we will cross strings using three notes per strings scales. We discussed the concepts regarding Alternate Picking technique in our previous lessons so this time the difference is that we are playing 3 notes on one string and then we cross to the other one with an upstroke.
Remember to warm up before starting your routine.

These are the exercises that we will work. All this exercises are in E minor scale.

Attached File  Paul_Gilbert_Style_Licks.gp5 ( 3.01K ) Number of downloads: 108

Attached File  Exercise_1.pdf ( 43.9K ) Number of downloads: 147

Attached File  Exercise_2.pdf ( 44.49K ) Number of downloads: 140

Attached File  Exercise_3.pdf ( 44.75K ) Number of downloads: 129

Attached File  Exercise_4.pdf ( 44.49K ) Number of downloads: 145

Attached File  Exercise_5.pdf ( 44.42K ) Number of downloads: 144

Now we will transpose this same idea to the different octaves. The idea is that we train our right hand in the different groups of strings and also to understand the relationship and the intervals of the scale shapes.

I tabbed the exercise in this shape but starting in the 12th frett.

Now we will play the same licks in the lower octave.

And then we will transpose the ideas to another lower octave.

Finally, as we did in the previous sessions, we will develop these ideas horizontally and vertically in the whole fret board, first in E minor and then using other scales.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 27 2012, 09:52 PM
GMC:er
Really cool stuff today Gab smile.gif A lesson after my own heart!

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 27 2012, 01:24 PM) *
GMC VIDEO CHAT LESSON #6 – RIGHT HAND IV /ALTERNATE PICKING (Crossing strings)

Hello guys! Welcome to the second part of our training for crossing strings. This time we will convert ourselves in Paul Gilbert (or Buckethead if you prefer it) and we will cross strings using three notes per strings scales. We discussed the concepts regarding Alternate Picking technique in our previous lessons so this time the difference is that we are playing 3 notes on one string and then we cross to the other one with an upstroke.
Remember to warm up before starting your routine.

These are the exercises that we will work. All this exercises are in E minor scale.

Attached File  Paul_Gilbert_Style_Licks.gp5 ( 3.01K ) Number of downloads: 108

Attached File  Exercise_1.pdf ( 43.9K ) Number of downloads: 147

Attached File  Exercise_2.pdf ( 44.49K ) Number of downloads: 140

Attached File  Exercise_3.pdf ( 44.75K ) Number of downloads: 129

Attached File  Exercise_4.pdf ( 44.49K ) Number of downloads: 145

Attached File  Exercise_5.pdf ( 44.42K ) Number of downloads: 144

Now we will transpose this same idea to the different octaves. The idea is that we train our right hand in the different groups of strings and also to understand the relationship and the intervals of the scale shapes.

I tabbed the exercise in this shape but starting in the 12th frett.

Now we will play the same licks in the lower octave.

And then we will transpose the ideas to another lower octave.

Finally, as we did in the previous sessions, we will develop these ideas horizontally and vertically in the whole fret board, first in E minor and then using other scales.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 27 2012, 09:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 27 2012, 05:52 PM) *
Really cool stuff today Gab smile.gif A lesson after my own heart!

jejej thanks for assisting mate!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 3 2012, 07:10 PM
Instructor
Hey guys!! We continue with this topic HERE.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:06 AM