Backing Progression, Progressive Power Chords and Scales
Gaf
Nov 14 2008, 08:05 PM
GMC:er
Hello David!

I was wondering if you have the progression for the "Progressive Power Chords and Scales" lesson. Is there a master list of progressions for your lesson backings somewhere on the site? I would like to take the ideas from you lessons and apply them to different keys using band in a box.

I really appreciate the time and effort you have put into your tutorials. Thanks so much. Cheers.

John

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 4)
David Wallimann
Nov 18 2008, 01:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gaf @ Nov 14 2008, 02:05 PM) *
Hello David!

I was wondering if you have the progression for the "Progressive Power Chords and Scales" lesson. Is there a master list of progressions for your lesson backings somewhere on the site? I would like to take the ideas from you lessons and apply them to different keys using band in a box.

I really appreciate the time and effort you have put into your tutorials. Thanks so much. Cheers.

John

Thanks John,
if you can post the link to the lesson you're talking about I'll be glad to give you the chords. :-)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Gaf
Nov 18 2008, 03:59 PM
Oops sorry David, I forgot you have so many lessons!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...rds-and-scales/

I really like the second progression.

My next question may not have an easy answer but here goes:

I have been obsessed with transcription for the last 7 years and am now drowning in licks. However, I have neglected studies concerning the harmonic ideas which support the licks.

I am really interested in learning how to construct cool (simple or complex) progressions pertaining to Progressive/Fusion music (Planet X with Tony Macalpine, Brett Garsed's Big Sky Progressions, Progressions from Greg Howe's Parallax and Five etc).

In short since these progressions are not scored out and It takes so long to transcribe exact progressions how does one go about learning/copying/improving the progressions we hear. Do you have any pointers? Thanks so much for your time. Cheers.

John

+Quote Post
Gaf
Nov 26 2008, 02:21 PM
Bump smile.gif

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Nov 26 2008, 03:07 PM
Instructor
Sorry for late answer.. :-)

First of all, here is the chord progression for the lesson:

1st section

Em D/E (That's a D chord with an E on bass...)
Em --
Em D/E
Em --

2nd section

F#m F#m7
F#m6 F#m(b6)

The way I usually create chords over a heavier progressive type of song is to start with a repetitive riff. Then add some chords on top of it. The secret is to use some chords over a common bass note.

Usually I would pick the mode I want to work with, then harmonize in chords. Those chords are the options I have to "color" my song. You don't need to use all the notes of the chords, your ear will guide you.

I create a lesson dealing with that a while back. Just in case you missed it, here it is...

It isn't metal, but explains that theory..

Let me know if that helps a bit, I'd be happy to help more if you need. :-)

QUOTE (Gaf @ Nov 18 2008, 09:59 AM) *
Oops sorry David, I forgot you have so many lessons!

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...rds-and-scales/

I really like the second progression.

My next question may not have an easy answer but here goes:

I have been obsessed with transcription for the last 7 years and am now drowning in licks. However, I have neglected studies concerning the harmonic ideas which support the licks.

I am really interested in learning how to construct cool (simple or complex) progressions pertaining to Progressive/Fusion music (Planet X with Tony Macalpine, Brett Garsed's Big Sky Progressions, Progressions from Greg Howe's Parallax and Five etc).

In short since these progressions are not scored out and It takes so long to transcribe exact progressions how does one go about learning/copying/improving the progressions we hear. Do you have any pointers? Thanks so much for your time. Cheers.

John

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:17 PM