3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Classic Ballad Soloing Collaboration, UPLOAD THREAD
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 5 2009, 08:22 PM
Instructor
here you can post your takes, and I will comment on them after that smile.gif

Here's the backing

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Sep 7 2009, 08:34 PM
GMC:er
Take one. I will try to get more than one take on this one. NBT will be posted for the final.

Attached File  Classic_leedbreak_take1_BT.mp3 ( 877.04K ) Number of downloads: 216

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 7 2009, 10:29 PM
Instructor
leedbreak: I'm giving you a bit shorter comments for now, as you are willing to make an effort of actually developing your take as the collaboration goes. In the end I will grant you with more in depth comments:

Rhtyhtm: Good timing, and good precision. I think you nailed all the notes well on the beat, and used nice rhythmical figures. Just before the second part there was a bit faster sequence that I think needs more work. Try to nail it perfectly in time and the whole take will benefit from it/
Phrasing: Good phrasing, but a bit repetitive sounding in the first part. Seems like you were searching for structure here until that bend. I advise you to analyze the bits before the big bend somewhere in the middle of the first part, and try to make a small call & responce structure here to enrich this part of the take. Also the ending was a bit uneffective. In terms of melody everything was nice, but try to peak the ending with some bend an octave higher or something similar. This will sound lot more effective and logical.
Technique: Everything was played very nicely and with little noise. Well done. One thing I want you to focus are vibratos - they need to be well controlled and much slower for this kind of a track. Try 16th vibratos with this tempo, it will sound great.
Sound: Your tone is very good, and you can keep it like this, smooth balanced out and comes out nicely from the mix. If there is something to watch for, those would be additional noises, so muting technique is as always needed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Sep 7 2009, 11:07 PM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 7 2009, 04:29 PM) *
leedbreak:

wink.gif Thanks man. I will make my to do list. Feel free to edit my list smile.gif

1. Change a couple bars in the beginning to reduce repetitive feel
2. Work on the run before bend with metro for a short time till I have it down.
3. Work on vibrato with the metronome some before redoing take.
4. Rewrite the ending

This post has been edited by leedbreak: Sep 8 2009, 02:21 AM

--------------------
- leedbreak

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 7 2009, 11:29 PM
Instructor
Exactly my friend, great list. Lets see it done, and I will comment it after you post it! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Sep 8 2009, 12:08 AM
Learning Roadie
sorry for the delay in upload smile.gif

heres my take, id be happy to redo it if needed smile.gif

with backing: Attached File  balladsolomunta.mp3 ( 1.35MB ) Number of downloads: 249

no backing: Attached File  balladsolomunta_noback.mp3 ( 1.35MB ) Number of downloads: 177

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Sep 8 2009, 04:11 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 7 2009, 05:29 PM) *
Exactly my friend, great list. Lets see it done, and I will comment it after you post it! smile.gif

Little timing issue at :24 and the little run at 33 will need to be better but this will be take 2 of 3. Lots more vib and simpler ending. I will take your comments this time through a weeks practice for the final take. Thanks

Attached File  Classic_leedbreak_take2_BT.mp3 ( 877.04K ) Number of downloads: 161

--------------------
- leedbreak

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Sep 9 2009, 04:11 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I was afraid that it will be hard for me to come up with something, but I really enjoined the backing track, and after quite a short time I have a take that I am quite pleased about. Maybe there isn't enough space in this "solo" but as I am quite slow player that struggle with fitting enough good ideas in one track, I yet have to practice "breathing" in my solos.

Attached File  slousolou.mp3 ( 876.52K ) Number of downloads: 180
With the backing track
Attached File  slousolouwb.mp3 ( 822.23K ) Number of downloads: 132
Without the backing track

EDIT: Muntahunta, great ideas there man! I like especially the second part \m/

This post has been edited by Marek Rojewski: Sep 9 2009, 04:14 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Sep 9 2009, 04:20 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Sep 9 2009, 04:11 PM) *
EDIT: Muntahunta, great ideas there man! I like especially the second part \m/

haha, thanks, i was listening to battery by metallica at the time, had to fit it in somewhere tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 9 2009, 05:05 PM
Huh, I totally forgot to upload mine.

Attached File  IMCB_jafomatic_wbt.mp3 ( 2.14MB ) Number of downloads: 192

Attached File  IMCB_jafomatic_nbt.mp3 ( 2.14MB ) Number of downloads: 167

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 10 2009, 12:31 AM
Instructor
Wow, lots of posts, OK lets go in order smile.gif

muntahunta:

Rhythm: Great rhythmical figures, that are following the backing in a very laid back manner, and all the notes came out executed properly. Just the right amount of all the note durations used. If there is one thing I could suggest - it would be to posibly insert some fast legato triplets to spice up those 16th triplet sequences you have in the middle and in the end. I really like the whole structure and the balance you made with your solo.
Phrasing: Excellent melodic development throughout the solo, very smooth flow and great melodies, lots of feelings and phrases are just bleeding into one another. This is the finest example on how the solo should sound and be effective. There are however few moments on the solo that could be even better, for example in the second part you were using the root couple of times which is good, but I get the impression that I was hearing it a bit often. Also, in the end, there was that same root again, so possibly inserting root on the octave higher would sound even more effective. These are minor suggestion to this great solo, really well done.
Technique: Great execution throughout. The only thing that lacks in this beautiful solo are wide and slow vibratos. Achieving greater vibrato control will take this solo to much greater heights, so I advise that you start focusing on practicing the vibrato more, as your playing "deserves it"
Sound: Good tone, smooth and very little noise. The sound is a bit bassy, so I believe checking out the preset so you get a good focused low end will mean a lot. There was also a bit of buzzing in the sound, so possibly lowering down a distortion just a tiny tiny bit would help there.

--------------------

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Sep 10 2009, 12:39 AM
Learning Roadie
I can redo the solo if you want, with your suggestions... or atleast try those suggestions tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Effects:
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 10 2009, 01:20 AM
Instructor
leedbreak:

Well this take is already much better and fresh sounding! smile.gif Well done!
- your vibrato accuracy is very much improved and it sounds well controlled in most places! smile.gif
- the big bend in the middle of the first part was a bit out of pitch, but that is a minor issue.
- you very much improved accuracy here, so almost all the notes came out clear and pleasant
- phrasing is drastically improved, so now we have a very nice and smooth melodic flow. There are some hickups tho, mostly in the phrase before the big first part bend, and in the end, where it tends to sound a bit up & down the scale.
- the ending turned out very cool with that nice little phrase, and although you came down to the root, instead of going up, it definitely sounded as a very cool ending for the solo - well done.

So my friend, I think you really did a lot better take now, and I believe you can go even further with this. Are you up for it? smile.gif

QUOTE (muntahunta @ Sep 10 2009, 01:39 AM) *
I can redo the solo if you want, with your suggestions... or atleast try those suggestions tongue.gif

Definitely mate, I would very much like that, if you can! Your solo is near perfection but here are some suggestions once again:

- insert some legato fast triplets in those 16th triplet sequnces
- improve vibrato, make it slow and wide
- lower down the drive and bass a bit on your preset (just a tiny bit will do)

Marek Rojewski:

Rhythm: starting a bit shaky with 16 notes, then a long bend, and cool whole note bends. In general very cool take, with a great fast legato sequence in the second part. All in all a good rhythmical structure that really sounds good, but not that balanced in some places. For example I would like to hear a bit better ending and more diverse notes, possibly putting longer notes (bends) as oposed to a high speed legato lick.
Phrasing: Good start, and the first part was good. The bends were a nice touch, but I somehow get the impression you were using a bit too much up & down sequences. Solution to this would be to try to invent some interesting patterns for practice that involve everything but up & down sequences, and I've seen this Muris's latest lesson that is great for that, it's called Hold The Beat.
Technique: If there is one thing to recommend, that is more vibrato use. This will definitely increase the dimension and expressivnes in your playing. Check out my bending lesson that is live recently, it features this same backing. Some good bending and vibrato samples can be found there. Other than that everything was pretty much clean and well played.
Sound: A bit too much distortion makes it compressed and a bit buzzy, so lowering down the gain is my first suggestion. Other is to lower down the volume of the reverb as it kills definition of the guitar. A little reverb always goes a long way, so putting too much muffles the signal in fact. Just keep all the settings at reasonable levels and always do some test recordings to see how the preset sits in the mix, not solo.

jafomatic:

Rhythm: Great rhythmical figures. You seem to rely often on upbeat, which is great, and on quarter triplets here and there. The second part was a bit slower than I hoped for, possibly inserting one or two a bit faster sequences would mean a lot here.
Phrasing: Great first call & response lick, and after that excellent development. In the last part of the clean part you seem to lost track a bit, and possibly this part could use some minor improvements in order to stay connected with a great vibe you created with the intro. The OD part was very good, very nice phrasing, and good development. On thing that hit me was the last note, it sounded cool, but a bit rhythmically displaced, so possibly fixing that root up an octave would be a nice thing to do.
Technique: Good techniques shown here. There are some note bleeds here and there, so I believe better muting techniques could be applied in order to really sound cool. Also, I would like to hear better vibrato. The legato licks and picking was very nice and addded a very cool smooth flow to your playing, so no problems there.
Sound: Good clean preset in the first part, and nice OD one in the second part, although the OD one is significantly louder than the clean part. Also, the take is over compressed. Remember to use the compression on guitar track only, and NOT too much, as the backing is already compressed quite a bit.

--------------------

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Sep 10 2009, 04:19 AM
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 9 2009, 07:20 PM) *
leedbreak:

Are you up for it? smile.gif

Sure, I'll try to get it done over the next weekend. Thanks for your comments

--------------------
- leedbreak

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 10 2009, 11:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (leedbreak @ Sep 10 2009, 05:19 AM) *
Sure, I'll try to get it done over the next weekend. Thanks for your comments

Great man, I love to see how your solo evolves as time goes by, really interesting, and I can definitely feel the progress. Can't wait to hear the new take, take your time tho, don't wanna rush you! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Sep 12 2009, 04:20 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
My take, if you're fine with me joining in wink.gif I posted in your sign up thread, but no reaction yet. Very nice BT, I really enjoyed it. within a few minutes I got the main riff for the second part... a 1.5 step bend, I thought sounded nice wink.gif Also the sound seems ok, if it's not to much reverb?

First part was recorded with my Ibanez stock neck pickup, and the second part with a Seymour Duncan TB-4 bridge, but the ibanez stock sounds.... well at least not worse tongue.gif should my tb-4 sound way better? It's both recorded with the same settings in POD farm.

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Sep 12 2009, 05:30 PM
Although I have not been officially invited (although I have asked! ) I´ll take part nevertheless (well, I´ll just upload my takes) tongue.gif tongue.gif

Ivan if you have time or the leisure (or both) to comment on my take it would be highly appreciated (as always)!

Cheers in advance!

PS. I changed my takes a bit - no changes in the playing but the OD tone got a bit more "bearable" laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Berglmir: Sep 12 2009, 07:39 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Berglmir_Classic_Ballad_Collab_NBT2.mp3 ( 1.72MB ) Number of downloads: 171
Attached File  Berglmir_Classic_Ballad_Collab_WBT2.mp3 ( 1.72MB ) Number of downloads: 214

+Quote Post
Staffy
Sep 13 2009, 08:11 PM
Learning Tone Master
Here's my take Ivan! I was thinking of playing something fast in the ending, but as usual I realized that I can't play fast, so I had to go with something that SOUNDS a little bit fast........

Recorded wirh my Ibanez semi-acoustic & Marshall and Boss-OD20.

//Staffay

This post has been edited by Staffy: Sep 13 2009, 08:21 PM

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 13 2009, 08:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (muntahunta @ Sep 10 2009, 01:39 AM) *

Sorry mate, I overlooked the post. Of course - it would be great if I could hear the take again! Thanks.

Kaznie:

Rhythm: Great long notes, and very nice timing with accenting the first beats. I like how the part evolves in the second part of the solo as well, and how you use more notes as the solo progresses towards the end. As all the notes came nice and clean, I can safely say that your timing is perfect, but as always it would be good to fire up some nice sequence here and there, perhaps using some shorter note durations. This can greatly improve the quality of this take, and I am talking about just a small sequence. If you want I can give you an example of the sequence for the MTP in form of a small run. When I say small run I really mean something like 6-8 notes that are a bit faster. If executed properly, this solo could easily be professional material. It still is tho, but as we always say - it can always be better.
Phrasing: This solo was probably the best I heard so far from you, because the phrases really tell a nice story, and you really nailed a nice vibe here. Lots of feelings, good connection between the phrases and very fluid. I have a small suggestion in the second phrase, where you did couple of C-D notes and then went to root again. I think the D note would make a stronger and effective ending then the A. I phrase 3 you went octave higher which is a good way of further expanding the phrase, but then in phrase 4 you can back octave lower and played a root again. Possibly here it would be cool to do a nice bend or something just to escape a bit from the root. The second part of the solo was great, and ending very solid.
Technique: Well, there is certainly some improvements here, the bends are awesome, very expressive and I can really see your worked on them. Precisely in pitch, perfect timing, great sustain. Vibrato is also very very good, still needs some polishing but now you are doing it slowly and with more control. All the notes came out very clear, so really well done with the execution.
Sound: The sound could use some tweaking, the problem is with the top end buzz that is too great. I believe a bit more smoother preset would be great. It is not that easy to get it with software, but it can be done, specially if you start to use EQing of the guitar, and if you lower down the gain slightly to increase dynamics a bit.

Berglmir:

Rhythm: Very cool expressive rhythmical figures, I like the way it sounds. There are some problems with the timing both in the first part and in second part. The rhythmical sequences you used are note precise enough, and while you played those faster runs not all notes came out clear. Some practice is needed to be able to play these fast sequences and remain in time, so I think with some more polishing of those faster runs, it can sound awesome.
Phrasing: Very nice and logical phrases in the first part, and good development. I like the notes that are used specially in the slower parts. The second part had a very good connection between the phrases. There are couple of things I noticed that need some improvement with this take. First, in the clean part of your solo, as soon as you hit faster sequences, the connection with the phrases is dropping down, but as soon as you return to slower notes you manage to continue. This problem is solvable by actually anticipating the runs you are going to play, both rhythmically and melodically. All the notes must come out clear, and have their function within the solo, so using many of them not and letting some slip does not help. Same goes for the second part, only I believe you had lot more expressivnes there and I like the attitude of your playing, sounds you really got the feeling for it, so it's good.
Technique: Techniques you used need a bit of polishing on the faster sequences. Everything else was played very nicely, and I would like to hear a more slower and wider vibrato here as well.
Sound: Clean is very nice, and so is the distorted part. The clean notes are in little dissonance with the distorted part when running in the background, but distortion is cutting through and it is not buzzy, it's smooth, althouhg it has lots of treble.

Staffy:

Rhythm: All the notes were pretty much perfectly in time, but there are two moments where the notes were lagging a bit. The middle part legato is a bit on a slow side, and so is the legato in the end. I think these parts have to really be right on the beat, they are a bit loose. But this is the minor concern, and in general I consider this a really well played solo with a good sense for the rhythm.
Phrasing: Great theme lick during the first part, and you really did developed it well during those 5-6 phrases in the first part. This solo is the best I've heard from you, structure is there, and sounds very nice. The second part of the solo has a bit more loose structure, and the connection is there, but it is a lot stronger in the first part. I would suggest to really analyze the second part and really see how the notes, specially the phrase ending notes correlate to each other. There are a lot of possibilities to create a more interesting connections, so it will definitely be cool and interesting to work on those things a bit.
Technique: This is the most precise solo I've heard so far from you. The amount of noise is small, and it is mostly around the last legato part and some bends at the beginning. I think polishing legato technique, and polishing bending vibrato is primary concern if we look this solo. I like how you pulled out bending vibratos, they sound well controlled and slow, but I believe a bit more security needs to be put in them before they sound completely natural. Bends are all solid, and with cool bending dynamics that is changing through the phrases. I believe those things are a good sign that you mastered different bending techniques, and based on the bending you showed here, I think only faster bending technique is only thing that lacks a bit to add that small degree of tightness to them if you know what I mean. Same goes for muting the bends properly, they will come out tighter after that.
Sound: Good overdriven preset, rolled off highs to remove the buzz, which worked nicely, but the buzz is still present in a very small degree in harmonics. Sounds smooth and comes out nicely in the mix, so I would say it is a good tone for this ballad.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Sep 13 2009, 08:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Sep 13 2009, 08:59 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thx for the very constructive criticism Ivan! Since I love playing to this kind of music, I will try to improve the second part. ( I actually had other ideas, but my lousy technique stopped me...) If its OK with You I will post an updated take in a couple of days. smile.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:28 PM