TylerT
May 4 2011, 04:10 AM
Guitar Hero
Hey guys. Two new songs

Let me know what you think!!!

Song 1 is heavily inspired by marco sfogli

Song 2 is METAL biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Song1.mp3 ( 4.41MB ) Number of downloads: 444
Attached File  Song2.mp3 ( 15.97MB ) Number of downloads: 369

--------------------
My Website
My Youtube

Main Guitars:
- Agile Interceptor Pro 725
- EBMM John Petrucci Signature
- Axl Badwater

Amps/Effects:
- Avid Eleven Rack
- Hughes & Kettner Switchblade
- Pod X3 Live
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 4 2011, 05:38 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Wow this is some great music, the recording quality is very good biggrin.gif What did you use to record the guitars and drums?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
TylerT
May 4 2011, 05:41 AM
Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Mudbone @ May 3 2011, 08:38 PM) *
Wow this is some great music, the recording quality is very good biggrin.gif What did you use to record the guitars and drums?

Thanks dude! The guitars are recorded with a POD X3 Live, and the drums programmed with Superior Drummer!

This post has been edited by TylerT: May 4 2011, 05:41 AM

--------------------
My Website
My Youtube

Main Guitars:
- Axl Badwater

Amps/Effects:
- Avid Eleven Rack
- Pod X3 Live

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 4 2011, 08:53 AM
GMC Founder
Man blink.gif I always get a pleasant surprise when I hear your stuff - I loved both tunes. The first Sfogli inspired had a really nice balance between shred and melody - and your tone was gorgeous.

The metal tune shows where you are coming from (?) - it seems metal is a spring board for many great guitarists out there! =) For this one I would have enjoyed a less compressed snare - to create more variation (and 'humanize' effect). Compression is definitely right for the genre you are going for though (so don't listen to me, I still suck at mixing drums).

--------------------

+Quote Post
TylerT
May 4 2011, 09:41 AM
Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 3 2011, 11:53 PM) *
Man blink.gif I always get a pleasant surprise when I hear your stuff - I loved both tunes. The first Sfogli inspired had a really nice balance between shred and melody - and your tone was gorgeous.

The metal tune shows where you are coming from (?) - it seems metal is a spring board for many great guitarists out there! =) For this one I would have enjoyed a less compressed snare - to create more variation (and 'humanize' effect). Compression is definitely right for the genre you are going for though (so don't listen to me, I still suck at mixing drums).

Glad you liked it man ! biggrin.gif

And I totally agree with the metal tune. Sounds almost a little robotic
Im trying to work on getting a real "raw" sound with some of my newer jams, starting to sound a lot like Pantera tongue.gif

--------------------
My Website
My Youtube

Main Guitars:
- Axl Badwater

Amps/Effects:
- Avid Eleven Rack
- Pod X3 Live

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 4 2011, 09:51 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (TylerT @ May 4 2011, 10:41 AM) *
Im trying to work on getting a real "raw" sound with some of my newer jams, starting to sound a lot like Pantera tongue.gif

Hehe cool! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 4 2011, 10:24 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Great tunes man!
I like the first one slightly more, it has some 80s vibes to it smile.gif
Audio production is very good. Maybe the drums could be more fuller sounding, but overall really cool sounding!

Keep up the good work.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 4 2011, 11:06 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (TylerT @ May 4 2011, 08:41 AM) *
Glad you liked it man ! biggrin.gif

And I totally agree with the metal tune. Sounds almost a little robotic

If it helps...

For rock the mix settings that often work on a snare are often those that provide some sustain with not too much attack. Too much and you tend to end up with the snare sounding more like a computer pc going ´Beep´ behind the electric guitars than a snare drum. As a start you might want to look at a ratio of about 3:1, medium attack around 10ms and fast release around 30 ms and then adjust to taste. You might also want to deliberately think about soft clipping the snare peaks smile.gif .

The other thing worth mentioning is that just rendering to an mp3 applies additional compression of 11:1 or more over the original uncompressed audio. For transients like the snare that are at or close to peak or ceiling this can be a big issue.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
TylerT
May 4 2011, 12:51 PM
Guitar Hero
QUOTE (tonymiro @ May 4 2011, 02:06 AM) *
If it helps...

For rock the mix settings that often work on a snare are often those that provide some sustain with not too much attack. Too much and you tend to end up with the snare sounding more like a computer pc going ´Beep´ behind the electric guitars than a snare drum. As a start you might want to look at a ratio of about 3:1, medium attack around 10ms and fast release around 30 ms and then adjust to taste. You might also want to deliberately think about soft clipping the snare peaks smile.gif .

The other thing worth mentioning is that just rendering to an mp3 applies additional compression of 11:1 or more over the original uncompressed audio. For transients like the snare that are at or close to peak or ceiling this can be a big issue.

Hey sorry for so many questions but im pretty new to recording tongue.gif

About the rendering issue, should I be rendering it to a different file type? Or should I just make sure not to overcompress before rendering as that will even add more compression?

and for the settings you gave me can I just use that on the snare drum or can I use it on the whole kit?

And im not sure what soft clipping means but im having a look in REAPER now biggrin.gif !!

Thanks for the suggestions man! I really want to take my sound to the next level

--------------------
My Website
My Youtube

Main Guitars:
- Axl Badwater

Amps/Effects:
- Avid Eleven Rack
- Pod X3 Live

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 4 2011, 01:04 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
The best format to render to is wave or AIFF files as they are both uncompressed, lossless formats. The catch is that the files are big - around 50 mega for a 4 minute song.

People use compressed formats like mp3 to produce smaller files to save space and reduce upload/download times on the web (including GMC). The catch here though are: 1/ mp3 files are compressed (how much depends on the bit rate, the higher the number the lower the compression) and; 2/ the mp3 codec often adds some internal summing to the file. This summing can result in audio that is peaking at or close to digital zero dB going in to the red resulting in unintended clipping and distortion. Best advice if you want to use a compressed format like mp3 is to peak at -.5dB or lower.

Suggested settings are really for snare and not a whole kit wink.gif

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
quadrium
May 4 2011, 01:19 PM
Learning Tone Master
Nice work man! Loved it smile.gif Added both to GMC Radio smile.gif

Dogukan,

--------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPOTIFY PAGE

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
May 4 2011, 01:49 PM
Instructor
Your drums sounds 10 times more realistic than mine, at least ! laugh.gif I like the beat variations you chose on Track 2.

For snare sounds.. as much as people lament his ability, you can't go wrong with a snare sound like Lars Ulrich on Sad But True. Listen to that on some good speakers ! cool.gif

+Quote Post
TylerT
May 4 2011, 02:03 PM
Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 4 2011, 04:49 AM) *
Your drums sounds 10 times more realistic than mine, at least ! laugh.gif I like the beat variations you chose on Track 2.

For snare sounds.. as much as people lament his ability, you can't go wrong with a snare sound like Lars Ulrich on Sad But True. Listen to that on some good speakers ! cool.gif

True that man. His kick is pretty unreal too, sounds like hes hittin the drum with a wet towel biggrin.gif

--------------------
My Website
My Youtube

Main Guitars:
- Axl Badwater

Amps/Effects:
- Avid Eleven Rack
- Pod X3 Live

+Quote Post
zen
May 4 2011, 02:30 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Loved it ... You are the real guitar hero biggrin.gif

--------------------
"If the need is deep, you WILL find a way , if it isn't, you'll find some excuse"

Check out my Student Instructor Lesson on Metal Riffing HERE

Visit My Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
TylerT
May 4 2011, 02:40 PM
Guitar Hero
QUOTE (zen @ May 4 2011, 05:30 AM) *
Loved it ... You are the real guitar hero biggrin.gif

I'll post Through The Fire and Flames tomorrow laugh.gif

This post has been edited by TylerT: May 4 2011, 02:41 PM

--------------------
My Website
My Youtube

Main Guitars:
- Axl Badwater

Amps/Effects:
- Avid Eleven Rack
- Pod X3 Live

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
May 8 2011, 04:32 PM
Instructor
wow, blown away by the quality! I really like them...

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
TylerT
May 8 2011, 04:45 PM
Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ May 8 2011, 07:32 AM) *
wow, blown away by the quality! I really like them...

Thanks man! ! biggrin.gif

--------------------
My Website
My Youtube

Main Guitars:
- Axl Badwater

Amps/Effects:
- Avid Eleven Rack
- Pod X3 Live

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:31 PM