What Was Your Main Goal When You Started Playing The Guitar?
What was your main goal when you started playing the guitar?
What was your main goal when you started playing the guitar?
Playing my favorite songs [ 6 ] ** [16.67%]
Starting a band and play live [ 5 ] ** [13.89%]
Life was/is busy and guitar playing gives relaxation and fun [ 2 ] ** [5.56%]
Writing own songs for fun [ 1 ] ** [2.78%]
Writing own songs, making an album and get it out there [ 2 ] ** [5.56%]
Becoming a famous rockstar [ 3 ] ** [8.33%]
Getting all the chicks [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
To be able to play music for the family, children [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
My friends have all started play music, and I wanted to do it too [ 1 ] ** [2.78%]
I simply felt that I have to pick up the guitar [ 6 ] ** [16.67%]
I got an inspiration/message/guidance from my higher self [ 1 ] ** [2.78%]
It was a pure coincidence [ 2 ] ** [5.56%]
There is a really interesting story behind it, and I'm glad to tell it [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
I don' know, it just happened [ 3 ] ** [8.33%]
Other: ...................... [ 1 ] ** [2.78%]
METAL!!! (Credit to Slavenko) :) [ 3 ] ** [8.33%]
Total Votes: 24
Guests cannot vote 
Jonas Tamas
Feb 12 2013, 12:43 PM
GMC:er
Hi all,

I'm very curious, how did you start playing the guitar, and what were your goals back then. In the poll, I have listed several options. Please vote, and I'd be thankful if you could write a few sentences about your own story.

Even if you don't often actively post in the forum, and you are mostly in read-only mode, please vote now, and write a few words for us. It will be very useful for us all to know this.

There will be more polls soon!

smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Jonas Tamas: Feb 12 2013, 11:12 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Dieterle
Feb 12 2013, 01:33 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Jonas !

Good Idea and made me think a bit about it biggrin.gif

My main reason to get into guitar i just love the way guitars bring over FEELING !

Sometimes it is difficult to say/ talk about Things , so others can hard understand what you mean

music and for me the voice of a guitar its like a angels voice who touch the soul and make Things visible from inside ,

it becomes a Universal Language .

My Problem right now laugh.gif some Mentors here on GMC know it tongue.gif to get into the right timing - rhythm ,

but once i managed it i hope people start to understand ME a bit better ! rolleyes.gif

Dieter

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 12 2013, 04:15 PM
Hi Dieterle, thanks a lot for your detailed answer!

Yes, I can relate to the things you've mentioned: you feel that you can express yourself with the guitar, and with the music in general. And I guess that you even feel that music is sometimes better than words. That's totally true. We can express ourselves a lot better with the guitar.

Let me ask you a question:

can you tell me a big moment of magic, when you heard a music, and understood all the feelings of the composer, maybe in your favorite songs? Or even better, was there a moment, when you played something, and the person who listened to it, understood you at once?

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Feb 12 2013, 04:56 PM
I chose guitar so I could play like Jason Becker and Dave Murray biggrin.gif I know it sounds ridiculous but, honestly, that's why I picked up the guitar at age 14 smile.gif

Also I wanted to write my own songs and make an album and become famous biggrin.gif Also, I think playing the guitar is a great thing to vent your emotion, even if you're really happy or really upset, it always helps even if no one else can notice it, I can notice my feelings being channeled through the sound of my guitar when I play it happy.gif and the last reason is that it always seemed to me that playing an instrument is FUN! tongue.gif And I enjoy it when I play my guitar, I enjoy my practice wink.gif

These are still my goals, I've written down my goals on a page and it helps as a motivation tool smile.gif

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Feb 12 2013, 04:57 PM

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Feb 12 2013, 05:31 PM
One and Only REeason that Made me pick up guitar was one that's not listed here

METAL !!!

+Quote Post
mroberts70
Feb 12 2013, 05:44 PM
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Feb 12 2013, 11:31 AM) *

METAL !!!

LOL.... this is true. Metal should be in the list for sure or we leave our friend Slavenko out. That's the only reason he plays guitar plus it's the only instrument that can be referred to as an "AXE".

smile.gif

--------------------
Air Guitar Instructor

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Feb 12 2013, 06:25 PM
Tone Seeker
My friends have all started play music, and I wanted to do it too

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 12 2013, 07:23 PM
My father is a musician so we had a lot of instruments around the house and I tried them all - piano, flute, violin, clarinet, trumpet.
One spring a school asked my dad if he'd be willing to teach a beginning guitar group class over the the summer. Like any good musician he said "yes" ... even though he'd never played guitar before, lol! He did play upright bass though. He bought a cheap guitar, took a couple of months of lessons and learned fairly competently how to play open position (cowboy) chords and even an F barre chord (he knows music and how to teach, played a string instrument already so it wasn't really that grand of an undertaking). Anyway, watching him practice really basic stuff on the guitar fascinated and attracted me and that is what I picked. A possible rebellion/reaction against my dad and what he could already do well - ? I picked the one instrument he really couldn't play too well.

Then for many years it was absolutely about getting girls - and it worked really well.

Then the music took over again.

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Feb 12 2013, 07:29 PM
QUOTE (mroberts70 @ Feb 12 2013, 05:44 PM) *
LOL.... this is true. Metal should be in the list for sure or we leave our friend Slavenko out. That's the only reason he plays guitar plus it's the only instrument that can be referred to as an "AXE".

smile.gif

Yeah, u're absolutely right friend !!

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Feb 12 2013, 08:20 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Jonas Tamas @ Feb 12 2013, 04:15 PM) *
Hi Dieterle, thanks a lot for your detailed answer!

Yes, I can relate to the things you've mentioned: you feel that you can express yourself with the guitar, and with the music in general. And I guess that you even feel that music is sometimes better than words. That's totally true. We can express ourselves a lot better with the guitar.

Let me ask you a question:

can you tell me a big moment of magic, when you heard a music, and understood all the feelings of the composer, maybe in your favorite songs? Or even better, was there a moment, when you played something, and the person who listened to it, understood you at once?

Hi Jonas ,

Epitaph King Krimson is one of the earlier ones , moment of open and wide horizon without fear .

I am a Beginner Guitarist and so my guitar playing smile.gif

anyway i did 2 records right now for kind of family album (i hope it will become more )

and when i and my daughter been listening to the second and new one - both became shining eyes a moment of unity.

Dieter

QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Feb 12 2013, 07:29 PM) *
Yeah, u're absolutely right friend !!

Hey Slavenko keep staying here your Axe is needed and its the time for Wolves !

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Feb 12 2013, 09:26 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
I remember it all starting with wanting a guitar in my own hands. I didn't have much musical guidance or instruments around me when I was young. Just a bunch of classic rock LPs my Dad had around. It was a struggle to finally get a Harmony beginner acoustic guitar and begging to sign up with some acoustic group lessons at the youth center. So, it was strumming along to "House of the Rising Sun" kind of stuff. I remember how weak my hands were at the time and wondering how the instructor could grab an F chord with such ease. Really the only official lessons I had for the next 20 years.biggrin.gif

Eventually it led me to get a bass so that I could get myself involved with a band and cover some Metallica songs. The fact that a kid my age at the time (14 years) could play lead lines from "From Whom the Bell Tolls" was mind blowing to me. I have never been a natural at learning guitar but it always felt like the best way to express myself so it has stuck with me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Feb 12 2013, 11:04 PM
QUOTE (Jonas Tamas @ Feb 12 2013, 12:43 PM) *
Hi all,

I'm very curious, how did you start playing the guitar, and what were your goals back then. In the poll, I have listed several options. Please vote, and I'd be thankful if you could write a few sentences about your own story.

Even if you don't often actively post in the forum, and you are mostly in read-only mode, please vote now, and write a few words for us. It will be very useful for us all to know this.

There will be more polls soon!

smile.gif

There two main reasons are Blind Guardiand and Ritchie Blackmore. Really, after listening to music that good, I had tons of musical ideas in my head banging the walls and wanting out, so picking up a guitar seemed to be the only option. biggrin.gif
Btw, it's funny how everyone thinks that your first name is Jonas. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 12 2013, 11:31 PM
QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Feb 12 2013, 04:56 PM) *
I chose guitar so I could play like Jason Becker and Dave Murray biggrin.gif I know it sounds ridiculous but, honestly, that's why I picked up the guitar at age 14 smile.gif

Also I wanted to write my own songs and make an album and become famous biggrin.gif Also, I think playing the guitar is a great thing to vent your emotion, even if you're really happy or really upset, it always helps even if no one else can notice it, I can notice my feelings being channeled through the sound of my guitar when I play it happy.gif and the last reason is that it always seemed to me that playing an instrument is FUN! tongue.gif And I enjoy it when I play my guitar, I enjoy my practice wink.gif

These are still my goals, I've written down my goals on a page and it helps as a motivation tool smile.gif

Written goals are almost always self-fulfilling, it's good idea to write, rewrite and review them regularly.
Jason Becker is one of my favorites, too!

Yes, music can have so much advantages, as you've mentioned it - chanelling of our emotions, having fun, being creative, following our inspirations, and giving a good experience to others. And most of the time, it's the talent's voice that has urged us to play.

Thanks for your answer, cool stuff! smile.gif

QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Feb 12 2013, 05:31 PM) *

METAL !!!

biggrin.gif

I've added that to the poll options!

My friends have all started play music, and I wanted to do it too

Hi! That's a great way to start playing the guitar, too. Do you see it as a very good decision, looking back? I hope yes:)

QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 12 2013, 07:23 PM) *
My father is a musician so we had a lot of instruments around the house and I tried them all - piano, flute, violin, clarinet, trumpet.
One spring a school asked my dad if he'd be willing to teach a beginning guitar group class over the the summer. Like any good musician he said "yes" ... even though he'd never played guitar before, lol! He did play upright bass though. He bought a cheap guitar, took a couple of months of lessons and learned fairly competently how to play open position (cowboy) chords and even an F barre chord (he knows music and how to teach, played a string instrument already so it wasn't really that grand of an undertaking). Anyway, watching him practice really basic stuff on the guitar fascinated and attracted me and that is what I picked. A possible rebellion/reaction against my dad and what he could already do well - ? I picked the one instrument he really couldn't play too well.

Then for many years it was absolutely about getting girls - and it worked really well.

Then the music took over again.

That's a very inspiring story, Ken! (Including the many years detour in Chickville, too biggrin.gif ) Thanks for sharing. It must have been great to grow up with so many instruments around. In my case, noone in my family ever played an instrument, so I was the first 'brave' kid to do that.

Did your father become your first guitar teacher back then?

QUOTE (Dieterle @ Feb 12 2013, 08:20 PM) *
Hi Jonas ,

Epitaph King Krimson is one of the earlier ones , moment of open and wide horizon without fear .

I am a Beginner Guitarist and so my guitar playing smile.gif

anyway i did 2 records right now for kind of family album (i hope it will become more )

and when i and my daughter been listening to the second and new one - both became shining eyes a moment of unity.

Dieter

I love your last sentence, where you and your daughter are listening to your own music, and enjoying it! This is whene the magic happens. I'm glad you wrote your story, it will be an inspiration to every GMC member who reads it. Thank you sir!

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Feb 12 2013, 09:26 PM) *
I remember it all starting with wanting a guitar in my own hands. I didn't have much musical guidance or instruments around me when I was young. Just a bunch of classic rock LPs my Dad had around. It was a struggle to finally get a Harmony beginner acoustic guitar and begging to sign up with some acoustic group lessons at the youth center. So, it was strumming along to "House of the Rising Sun" kind of stuff. I remember how weak my hands were at the time and wondering how the instructor could grab an F chord with such ease. Really the only official lessons I had for the next 20 years.biggrin.gif

Eventually it led me to get a bass so that I could get myself involved with a band and cover some Metallica songs. The fact that a kid my age at the time (14 years) could play lead lines from "From Whom the Bell Tolls" was mind blowing to me. I have never been a natural at learning guitar but it always felt like the best way to express myself so it has stuck with me.

Thanks a lot for sharing your story with us! The beginning phase resembles to mine - I even remember trying to play the song "House of the Rising Sun", and having trouble with the F chord! smile.gif

QUOTE (TeoWulf @ Feb 12 2013, 11:04 PM) *
There two main reasons are Blind Guardian and Ritchie Blackmore. Really, after listening to music that good, I had tons of musical ideas in my head banging the walls and wanting out, so picking up a guitar seemed to be the only option. biggrin.gif
Btw, it's funny how everyone thinks that your first name is Jonas. smile.gif

smile.gif Yes, we are both from Hungary, so we know about the name swapping. I've decided long ago to use my last name as my "international" first name, so I like it! smile.gif

Then it must be really cool for you to be here at GMC where Marcus Siepen from Blind Guardian is an instructor. Were you able to speak with him?

This post has been edited by Jonas Tamas: Feb 12 2013, 11:39 PM

+Quote Post
thefireball
Feb 12 2013, 11:33 PM
Learning Roadie
Simply to play this song. I wanted to play like this too.

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 12 2013, 11:36 PM
QUOTE (thefireball @ Feb 12 2013, 11:33 PM) *
Simply to play this song. I wanted to play like this too.

Pachelbel's Canon can be a great rock tune, Funtwo has made it famous.

Have you already fulfilled this dream of yours?

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 12 2013, 11:51 PM
QUOTE (Jonas Tamas @ Feb 12 2013, 10:31 PM) *
That's a very inspiring story, Ken! (Including the many years detour in Chickville, too biggrin.gif ) Thanks for sharing. It must have been great to grow up with so many instruments around. In my case, noone in my family ever played an instrument, so I was the first 'brave' kid to do that.

Did your father become your first guitar teacher back then?

No. Dad knew enough about the 'process' to not be my guitar teacher. He did show the 5 chords he knew and how to tune the thing but that was it. He did say, and I honestly don't remember any of this, that I learned to tune and play those 5 chords immediately so he knew that this was going to be 'my' instrument. But he ultimately got me a proper teacher. Not a good guitar though. A Sears 'silvertone' - $35.00 at a department store. And it was piece of you know what. And I'm pretty sure he did that on purpose to see if I 'really' had a interest in playing music - as in will I overcome a crappy instrument.

My dad did expose me to a ton of music and as my brother also played trumpet, we'd have 'jam' sessions at home constantly. Pops would play piano or stand up bass, me on guitar and my bro on trumpet. That really started me early on learning how to deal with other musicians and playing in 'bands'. I then immediately started to jam with kids in the neighborhood as well as playing in school (that's when and where I realized girls liked guitar players biggrin.gif ) For me it's still all about playing with others. If I don't projects or gigs coming up where I have to learn something I may not practice at all.

+Quote Post
TeoWulf
Feb 12 2013, 11:54 PM
QUOTE (Jonas Tamas @ Feb 12 2013, 11:31 PM) *
smile.gif Yes, we are both from Hungary, so we know about the name swapping. I've decided long ago to use my last name as my "international" first name, so I like it! smile.gif

Then it must be really cool for you to be here at GMC where Marcus Siepen from Blind Guardian is an instructor. Were you able to speak with him?

Yeah, I kind of drowned him in mails smile.gif You know the fanboy stuff biggrin.gif
He helped me a lot with actual playing also, so it's really cool. I have always wanted to introduce some of those "medieval" qualities to my playing, and his lessons have it all.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Feb 13 2013, 12:03 AM
Now that i think about it, i didn't have an actual goal.

Ii do remember that on the first day that i got my hand on my SG, i spend like the whole day trying to learn Sweet child'o mine, but i end up with a broken string (high E), i was so ashamed of myself that i couldn't even tell my parents laugh.gif

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Feb 13 2013, 12:04 AM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Jonas Tamas
Feb 13 2013, 12:26 AM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 12 2013, 11:51 PM) *
No. Dad knew enough about the 'process' to not be my guitar teacher. He did show the 5 chords he knew and how to tune the thing but that was it. He did say, and I honestly don't remember any of this, that I learned to tune and play those 5 chords immediately so he knew that this was going to be 'my' instrument. But he ultimately got me a proper teacher. Not a good guitar though. A Sears 'silvertone' - $35.00 at a department store. And it was piece of you know what. And I'm pretty sure he did that on purpose to see if I 'really' had a interest in playing music - as in will I overcome a crappy instrument.

My dad did expose me to a ton of music and as my brother also played trumpet, we'd have 'jam' sessions at home constantly. Pops would play piano or stand up bass, me on guitar and my bro on trumpet. That really started me early on learning how to deal with other musicians and playing in 'bands'. I then immediately started to jam with kids in the neighborhood as well as playing in school (that's when and where I realized girls liked guitar players biggrin.gif ) For me it's still all about playing with others. If I don't projects or gigs coming up where I have to learn something I may not practice at all.

Those family jam sessions must have been a wonderful experience. And yes, it definitely contributed to the fact that for you it's all about playing with others. As mentioned, in my family there were no musicians before I've picked up the guitar, and therefore I was always in a 'lone warrior' practice mode instead of jamming with fellow musicians. So although I love playing with different musicians, and I've been doing it a lot, I still immensely enjoy practicing alone, when there is no jam opportunity or rehearsal for that day.

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Feb 13 2013, 12:03 AM) *
Now that i think about it, i didn't have an actual goal.

Ii do remember that on the first day that i got my hand on my SG, i spend like the whole day trying to learn Sweet child'o mine, but i end up with a broken string (high E), i was so ashamed of myself that i couldn't even tell my parents laugh.gif

smile.gif

You must have been bending really hard on the first day already! I guess there were at least .10 or .11 strings on that SG!:)

QUOTE (TeoWulf @ Feb 12 2013, 11:54 PM) *
Yeah, I kind of drowned him in mails smile.gif You know the fanboy stuff biggrin.gif
He helped me a lot with actual playing also, so it's really cool. I have always wanted to introduce some of those "medieval" qualities to my playing, and his lessons have it all.

smile.gif Sounds cool, Marcus is an awesome guy!

Speaking of "medieval" stuff, what is your opinion about Yngwie Malmsteen's music?

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 13 2013, 12:46 AM
Learning Tone Master
got my first guitar in second grade , took lessons from my uncle until he moved and could not afford a teacher. Later that same year I broke my arm and the doctor set it wrong to where I could not turn my left wrist to the point where I could play chords, flash forward to my ninth grade year when I heard blizzard of Oz , I was hooked but could still not bend my wrist , so 2 years later when my family moved to California and I heard Rainbow in the Dark and Run to the Hills( D D D D Dang). Now I could not shake the bug. Got a Sears Harmony flying V flipped it over left handed.
So I just started cause I loved somethin about it

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:03 PM