Troubles Muting The High E String
leonard478
Jun 14 2013, 08:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
so with Todd's shred journey i discovered that i have this problem, sometimes i manage to mute it but other times i just cant, even when i go very slowly the string just doesnt want to mute properly, any thoughts? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jun 14 2013, 08:34 PM
GMC:er
Check your action? It might be a bit lower than all the others so your palm mute can't reach the string.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Socky42: Jun 14 2013, 08:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bossie
Jun 14 2013, 08:55 PM
when you want to mute that one ...i always stretch the pinky..this automatically gives you a better mute. Well it works for me. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 15 2013, 02:49 PM
Instructor
I always try to place my palm a bit more towards the e string when sliding it across the bridge smile.gif

I will try to demonstrate it in a video for a nice exercise I am having in mind for ya - it is actually the muted alternate picked version of the last phrases in this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Antoni...nter-Arpeggios/ see part 8 smile.gif and in the mean time I will prepare the vid wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 15 2013, 06:32 PM
Instructor
I mute the higher strings is using my left hand fingers. Here I took some pics to show it. If you look carefully the pics, you will notice that I slightly mute the higher strings with my first finger. Most of the times I use my finger as a bare to mute the strings that I'm not playing. Let me know if its clear in the pics!

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 15 2013, 07:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 15 2013, 01:49 PM) *
I always try to place my palm a bit more towards the e string when sliding it across the bridge smile.gif

I will try to demonstrate it in a video for a nice exercise I am having in mind for ya - it is actually the muted alternate picked version of the last phrases in this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Antoni...nter-Arpeggios/ see part 8 smile.gif and in the mean time I will prepare the vid wink.gif

Oh, my bad! Now looking at Gabe's pics, I realized you weren't actually trying to palm mute it, were you? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
leonard478
Jun 15 2013, 07:27 PM
Learning Rock Star
LOL actually i was laugh.gif
thanks guys
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 15 2013, 06:17 PM) *
Oh, my bad! Now looking at Gabe's pics, I realized you weren't actually trying to palm mute it, were you? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
leonard478
Jun 15 2013, 08:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
wait crap..i think this is a total miscommunication i was talking about palm muting it and playing it, not actually preventing it from ringing (which i have no probems with)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 16 2013, 04:25 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (leonard478 @ Jun 15 2013, 04:15 PM) *
wait crap..i think this is a total miscommunication i was talking about palm muting it and playing it, not actually preventing it from ringing (which i have no probems with)

Ah!! Ok! Sorry mate! Well, regarding palm muting, change the position of my mind and try to use the same part of my palm that I use when I mute the lower strings.Could you share a video or pic of you trying to do it?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 16 2013, 07:06 AM
Instructor
Ah, ok then! Got it wink.gif My exercise is good for this and I will also make the movie smile.gif

...aaand here it is smile.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jun 17 2013, 11:25 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 18 2013, 05:51 AM
You can mute them all with your right with a bit of work, if you extend your fingers out a bit it will straighten the outer edge of your hand that lays on the bridge. So try not to ball your fingers in to a fist, instead, keep your hand a little looser so you have more surface area to mute with.

*It's important to be able to place your right hand on the bridge for a mute of all strings and TILT your hand, instead of moving it as you traverse to higher strings. This does take practice, but is very useful. smile.gif

Here are a couple of pics to demonstrate.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jun 18 2013, 05:54 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 19 2013, 12:48 AM
So did this help with our string muting?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jun 18 2013, 12:51 AM) *
You can mute them all with your right with a bit of work, if you extend your fingers out a bit it will straighten the outer edge of your hand that lays on the bridge. So try not to ball your fingers in to a fist, instead, keep your hand a little looser so you have more surface area to mute with.

*It's important to be able to place your right hand on the bridge for a mute of all strings and TILT your hand, instead of moving it as you traverse to higher strings. This does take practice, but is very useful. smile.gif

Here are a couple of pics to demonstrate.
Attached Image
Attached Image

Todd

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:29 PM