E.r.g. (extended Range Guitars) Only Thread
Todd Simpson
Jul 18 2013, 06:08 PM
GMC:er
Found some really cool ERG axes lately and thought I'd share! smile.gif If you think ERG guitars are sill, this thread is probably not for you sad.gif Let's start with a spiff custom. Anyone else seen anything interesting lately?

This one is from ETHERIAL GUITARS.
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Taka Perry
Jul 18 2013, 11:24 PM
Learning Rock Star
10-string with fanned frets? Am I seeing this correctly? ohmy.gif

That would be a really wide neck. Even the 8-strings have massive necks.

Now, this takes the whole 'lots of strings' business to another level...

...that is if it still counts as a guitar biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jul 18 2013, 11:54 PM
I don't think ERGs are bad, but I always wonder how the hell do players get around such wide necks? laugh.gif

And I think the material of the guitar is heavily dependent on the durability of these axes; they're holding so many thick strings to tension.

Oh and yes, I always wanted to play a 7 or 8 string guitar, anything above that, though is not for me, even though they look and sound pretty awesome to me, but I won't be able to play on them tongue.gif

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Jul 18 2013, 11:55 PM

--------------------

Download my free guitar and Floyd Rose setup guide: http://www.samsguitars.tk/

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 19 2013, 12:18 AM
Yup!!! It's a bit insane, even for an ERG. I have no idea what the tuning is like. The neck is MASSIVE and it does make me wonder how well it plays?

QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Jul 18 2013, 06:24 PM) *
10-string with fanned frets? Am I seeing this correctly? ohmy.gif

That would be a really wide neck. Even the 8-strings have massive necks.

Now, this takes the whole 'lots of strings' business to another level...

...that is if it still counts as a guitar biggrin.gif

I"m still trying to decide if I like the 8 string I bought. I LOVE the 7, but the jury is still out on the 8. I've played hand built custom 8s and cheapie 8s and in between and so far they don't feel exactly like guitars IMHO. The tension is such that the use of vibrato is a bit less attractive IMHO. It can be done, just double the work and tires out the hand a bit. Not an "expressive" instrument so much as a rythmic instrument.

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jul 18 2013, 06:54 PM) *
I don't think ERGs are bad, but I always wonder how the hell do players get around such wide necks? laugh.gif

And I think the material of the guitar is heavily dependent on the durability of these axes; they're holding so many thick strings to tension.

Oh and yes, I always wanted to play a 7 or 8 string guitar, anything above that, though is not for me, even though they look and sound pretty awesome to me, but I won't be able to play on them tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 22 2013, 08:33 PM
ERG TELECASTER? Fred Brum, Polish shred man had this custom ERG TELE hand built. It has Death Bar pickups and will chug with the best of them but the aesthetics just throw me off. What do you think?

If nothing else he could play SURF MUSIC with MESHUGGAH smile.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 23 2013, 05:27 PM
Found a great link to a resource that talks about 7/8 string instruments and gives specs on what the numbers are in terms of lowest frequencies generated and such and suggestions on gear that works well with ERG guitars. great info wink.gif

One bit up front.

Number of strings Single Scale Length Lowest Pitch
6 string 24.75 - 25.5 E2 - 82.41Hz
7 string good-25.5 better-27 B1 - 61.74Hz
8 string ok-27 better-28.625 F#1 - 46.25Hz
9 string 30.3 - 31.2 C#1 - 34.65Hz

Here is the link.

http://www.kneelie.com/guitar/tone/tone.htm#aamps

and here is a way spiff loooking ERG from a custom builder in California.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 23 2013, 07:29 PM
Just found this one, and it's pretty sexy smile.gif 32 frets. 8 Strings. 30 inch scale.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
DeGroot
Jul 23 2013, 09:19 PM
Experienced Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 23 2013, 06:29 PM) *
Just found this one, and it's pretty sexy smile.gif 32 frets. 8 Strings. 30 inch scale.

Attached Image

These guitars are INSANE! This white one looks incredible. Would love to try a 32 fret guitar!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 23 2013, 09:47 PM
I must agree, these are insane smile.gif I wanted to make a thread packed with over the top ERG guitars. They just don't fit in any other thread smile.gif This one in particular is really impressive. I'm really curious how it plays!

QUOTE (DeGroot @ Jul 23 2013, 04:19 PM) *
These guitars are INSANE! This white one looks incredible. Would love to try a 32 fret guitar!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jul 24 2013, 11:44 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 23 2013, 06:29 PM) *

Attached Image

Looks killer but I don't know if I could play at the 28th and above frets laugh.gif

This post has been edited by sammetal92: Jul 24 2013, 11:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 26 2013, 03:27 AM
I"d love to get this thing for a run through smile.gif I"m really curious if it actually plays well.

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jul 24 2013, 06:44 PM) *
Looks killer but I don't know if I could play at the 28th and above frets laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Taka Perry
Jul 26 2013, 07:38 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 24 2013, 04:29 AM) *

Attached Image

Wow, that looks nice. Are those EMG's? I've never seen white ones before ohmy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Jul 26 2013, 08:10 PM
QUOTE (Taka Perry @ Jul 26 2013, 06:38 AM) *
Wow, that looks nice. Are those EMG's? I've never seen white ones before ohmy.gif

I believe they've been making white and cream colored ones for a while now smile.gif

http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/210/236/1

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 27 2013, 05:02 AM
Yup, EMG finally decided to offer colors other than basic black smile.gif

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jul 26 2013, 03:10 PM) *
I believe they've been making white and cream colored ones for a while now smile.gif

http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/210/236/1

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 29 2013, 06:16 PM
Here's and ERG combo!!! smile.gif

It's OLA ENGLUNDS travel rig.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 31 2013, 05:58 AM
Bit more ERG pron smile.gif

9 STRING VIK GUITAR

Attached Image

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Jul 31 2013, 03:11 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 31 2013, 04:58 AM) *
Bit more ERG pron smile.gif

9 STRING VIK GUITAR

Attached Image

I like these!

Does this count. Only gonna have 6 strings but designed to tune F,C,G,D,A,E. Almost as low as a standard 8. It's one I am building in my spare time. Working on fretting it right now. Scale lengths 25"-27" and the string gauges will go from .010-.076.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 31 2013, 10:23 PM
Well, if you tune it to a LOW C then it's ERG! smile.gif Share the results with us! I like the fanned frets!!! Could you to a Flying V sort of shape as a 7 or 8? I'll be your first customer!

QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jul 31 2013, 10:11 AM) *
I like these!

Does this count. Only gonna have 6 strings but designed to tune F,C,G,D,A,E. Almost as low as a standard 8. It's one I am building in my spare time. Working on fretting it right now. Scale lengths 25"-27" and the string gauges will go from .010-.076.

+Quote Post
sammetal92
Aug 1 2013, 12:38 AM
Oh man, VH custom guitars, its got a nice ring to it tongue.gif then again, people would confuse it with Van Halen Custom guitars laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
Aug 1 2013, 02:02 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 31 2013, 09:23 PM) *
Well, if you tune it to a LOW C then it's ERG! smile.gif Share the results with us! I like the fanned frets!!! Could you to a Flying V sort of shape as a 7 or 8? I'll be your first customer!

The 5th string will be LOW C and the 6th LOW F! smile.gif The guitars are more of a hobby. I try to build 1 a year, as I get time. Every one gets a bit better. Don't see why I couldn't do a 7 or 8 V. I'd be up for it if you are!!! I also got plans to build an 8 that is a cross between a Strandberg ergo shape, and my F series 7 string style. But that is just a couple boards glued together at this point.

QUOTE (sammetal92 @ Jul 31 2013, 11:38 PM) *
Oh man, VH custom guitars, its got a nice ring to it tongue.gif then again, people would confuse it with Van Halen Custom guitars laugh.gif

laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 02:55 PM