How To Determine "condition" Of Your Instrument, when selling online/offline
Todd Simpson
Sep 17 2016, 09:09 AM
GMC:er
When selling instruments, it's crucial to give an honest description of the instruments "Condition". Sadly, folks too often see their gear with a bit of rose tinting and give it two grades above what it really is. To wit, here is a handy reference so save you from calling your guitar "Very Good" when in fact it's barely "Acceptable". Mislabeling the condition of an instrument can get you banned from Reverb/Ebay etc.

• New: Just like it sounds. A brand-new, unused, unopened item in its original packaging, with all original packaging materials included. Original protective wrapping, if any, is intact. Original manufacturer's warranty, if any, still applies, with warranty details included in the listing comments.

• Refurbished: Use only if noted in the Category-Specific Condition Guidelines. A refurbished product has been professionally restored to working order. Typically this means that the product has been inspected, cleaned, and repaired to meet manufacturer specifications. The item may or may not be in its original packaging. The manufacturer's or refurbisher's warranty must apply and should be included in the listing comments. Refurbished items are sometimes referred to as "remanufactured."

• Used - Like New: An apparently untouched item in perfect condition. Original protective wrapping may be missing, but the original packaging is intact and pristine. There are absolutely no signs of wear on the item or its packaging. Instructions are included. Item is suitable for presenting as a gift.

• Used - Very Good: A well-cared-for item that has seen limited use but remains in great condition. The item is complete, unmarked, and undamaged, but may show some limited signs of wear. Item works perfectly.

• Used - Good: Use only if noted in the Category-Specific Condition Guidelines. The item shows wear from consistent use, but it remains in good condition and works perfectly. It may be marked, have identifying markings on it, or show other signs of previous use.

• Used - Acceptable: Use only if noted in the Category-Specific Condition Guidelines. The item is fairly worn but continues to work perfectly. Signs of wear can include aesthetic issues such as scratches, dents, and worn corners. The item may have identifying markings on it or show other signs of previous use.

More often than not, many of the guitars on ebay/reverb are in Acceptable condition, with large chunks of pain missing, large scratches, dings, dents, etc. But get labled as Good or even Very Good! Don't fall victim to this. Keep it honest, it will save you trouble down the road. smile.gif

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Sep 17 2016, 09:18 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 17 2016, 04:57 PM
Excellent post Todd!

Always look REALLY carefully at the pictures.
Ask the seller questions.

*I have to return a soft case this coming week. Listed as a 'guitar' gig bag but it was actually for electric bass.
The seller issued a return auth. right away but it's still a friggin' hassle. (This was ebay)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 20 2016, 01:50 AM
Sorry to hear sad.gif I just pointed out to another ebayer that his guitar listed was NOT an LTD M1000 (one of their higher end guitars) but instead was an M103 (one of their lower end instruments). So while he listed a guitar worth several times the price of an M103, it was not sadly the guitar he was selling. When I pointed this out, he came with "oops!" and changed it. Hopefully saved somebody from buying it and going through another return. sad.gif

Todd

QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 17 2016, 11:57 AM) *
Excellent post Todd!

Always look REALLY carefully at the pictures.
Ask the seller questions.

*I have to return a soft case this coming week. Listed as a 'guitar' gig bag but it was actually for electric bass.
The seller issued a return auth. right away but it's still a friggin' hassle. (This was ebay)

+Quote Post
klasaine
Sep 20 2016, 02:39 AM
Yeah, I always see wrong info on the for sale sites. Especially with the more vintage stuff.

I returned the case today and it was a relatively easy operation but the drag is that I needed and wanted what it was I thought I was getting (and for a good price). And then you open the box and you're like - WTF is this?!
Whatever, that's part of the on-line auction game. Another one will come up.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 21 2016, 03:29 AM
Yeah, you just gotta be extra careful online with auctions it seems. Folks list stuff, sometimes, having little idea what it actually is. Some of the guilty parties are pawn shops and such. They just grab any info that looks close and use it. For example, I almost bought a "Jackson Soloist" for a couple hundred bux til I realized it was NOT a soloist. I emailed them about it and they said "oops" and changed it. That's life in the online auction world eh?

QUOTE (klasaine @ Sep 19 2016, 09:39 PM) *
Yeah, I always see wrong info on the for sale sites. Especially with the more vintage stuff.

I returned the case today and it was a relatively easy operation but the drag is that I needed and wanted what it was I thought I was getting (and for a good price). And then you open the box and you're like - WTF is this?!
Whatever, that's part of the on-line auction game. Another one will come up.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:49 PM