French Guitarists!, i need help with my A-level project...
DeepRoots
Sep 10 2007, 07:33 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Right- I'm studing French at A-level and have been told that our project carries alot of marks this year. I've been told that i can do a project that interests me (brain shouting guitar) but it must relate to France or a French speaking country...
So how do i merge these two? I though that i could do a project on French guitarists or a guitarist in particular from a french speaking country. Nothing springs to my mind right now- so i figured i'd ask you guys. Now, i can't be too general when doing this project- for example a title like "French Guitarists" would be bad compared to a more detailed tilte like "French Guitarists: How have they affected modern day rock" or "Why is --- the most influencial guitarist of <French speaking country>"

So if anybody knows a VERY famous or influencial guitaist from France or a french speaking country that i can write alot about i'd be very grateful if you could share with me.

One thing is i'd prefer it to be a topic that i can "discuss" rather than "describe". So if there is a guitarist that fits this description ^^ and there is alot of dirt or controversy over that would be great as it would allow me to discuss these matters.

Well thats it- i'd really appreciate you're help- so if you could post a short description with a wikipedia link (or any other link) i'd be in your debt.

My first deadline is next week (Spet 17th) and i need to write 200 words about my choice of project.

Thanks in advance! (remember i could use as little information as 3 words if you could type that much wink.gif )

DeepRoots

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 10 2007, 09:12 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Sep 10 2007, 02:33 PM) *
So if anybody knows a VERY famous or influencial guitaist from France or a french speaking country that i can write alot about i'd be very grateful if you could share with me.

David Walliman ?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Tank
Sep 10 2007, 09:24 PM
GMC Veteran
This is weird, but this topic just got coughed up on metafilter.

http://www.metafilter.com/64568/some-more-...ers-from-abroad

And there is also Eric Mongrain who is French Canadian I think. He has been mentioned on here before. Youtube has some great videos of him doing his variation on touch technique guitar.

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 10 2007, 09:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Sep 10 2007, 04:12 PM) *
David Walliman ?

Hehe! :-)

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Sep 10 2007, 10:01 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Wallimann @ Sep 10 2007, 04:53 PM) *
Hehe! :-)

Well you are French right? And very influential to us GMC:ers - that was actually at least a 60% serious suggestion smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
Sep 10 2007, 11:41 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Thanks for the post tank- that was quite a coincidence!

Though I'm a huge fan of David i don't think my French teacher has heard of him.......

her loss laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 11 2007, 03:44 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Have a look at Bireli Lagrene - French gypsy guitar player who is famous for his Django Reinhardt type playing. (BTW whilst a lot people think Django was French he wasn't - born in Belgium.).

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Anomaly
Sep 11 2007, 04:05 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (DeepRoots @ Sep 10 2007, 08:33 PM) *
.. "French Guitarists: How have they affected modern day rock" or "Why is --- the most influencial guitarist of <French speaking country>"
One thing is i'd prefer it to be a topic that i can "discuss" rather than "describe".

Since you're into rock, how about something like http://www.scaruffi.com/history/french.html. History is a subject that can be both - "describe-like" or more "discuss-like", so you could make it more interesting. Or if you really want to write about just one guitarist check out the names that are on that site.

Good luck!

I found some "dirt" on that site -
"Demonic virtuoso Polish-born vocalist Mama Bea Tekielski delivered powerful rants that mixed pure sonic experiment and Patti Smith-style anger on LA Folle (1977). "
wink.gif

(Oh, she's Polish-born blink.gif )

This post has been edited by Anomaly: Sep 11 2007, 04:06 AM

+Quote Post
Davidian
Sep 11 2007, 04:12 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
I lost their names, but the 2 guitarists from Gojira are French.

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 11 2007, 04:37 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I suppose if you need controversy/debate about Lagrene - consider the way that Django's Hot Club (and by association Lagrene) is seen by many as evocative of France, French Bistros etc. Against this there is the resurgence of the new right in North Europe and along with this a hardening up of attitudes towards migration and 'immigrants' throughout - Sarkozy is of course the newish French PM, Jean Marie la Pen and the far right are electoral candidates throughout France and not just Marseille.

As a debate point - what would have happen to French culture without 'immigrants' from the Romany communities and North Africa? Watch a film like La Heine and think about the influence of Algerian music in France in spite of how many Algerians live in the slums of Paris - witness the 2005 race riots in France. Much of the same may be said about any N European country. There is a claim of multi-culturalism but the reality is perhaps somewhat different.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 05:55 PM