2 Pages V  < 1 2  
I'm Teaching A 10 Year Old Kid
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Feb 11 2008, 10:51 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Feb 11 2008, 10:44 PM) *
Give him some stevie ray vaughan and the doors man!! smile.gif

biggrin.gif

A simple melody that I teach to the children sometimes is "The Entertainer" by Scott Joplin.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Feb 11 2008, 10:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (erik @ Feb 10 2008, 06:20 PM) *
Hey, I have started to teach a 10 year old kid to play guitar. He have only played for a couple of weeks, and I have had one lesson with him so far where I taught him some basic chords and stuff.

Now, I'm not quite sure what to teach him next. Can anybody give me some tips and pointers? =)
I know there was a topic about this a while back, but I couldn't find it..

Btw, he plays electrical guitar, not aucustic.

I'd start with basic pentatonic shapes...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Feb 15 2008, 02:08 PM
GMC:er
Just a suggestion... don't get too anxious about teaching him new things every visit. I think you should keep things interesting but somewhat slow as many here have suggested.

Don't fall into the trap of overwhelming him by teaching him too many things at once. Sometimes it's best to review the previous lesson and maybe throw in one new thing that somehow ties into the review. And for some people it may be just working on one or two things at a time.

Not just in guitar, but in many things I see teachers who think because they have covered several topics that means they are teaching and the student is learning. That's not true. Teaching is only part of the equation. The student actually understanding is the other half. The number of topics covered does transfer over to an equal level of understanding for most people.

I hope that made sense. Just my thoughts.

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 17 2008, 01:12 AM
Instructor
I've taught my 14 year old newphew to play for some time now.
At first i tried to teach him basic chords and theory, but noticed quickly that the level of interest faded fast.

So i decided to drop that for the time being, and simply try to learn him a song or two that he loves. He's got a thing for Metallica, so then the intro to Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, One etc. came automatically to mind.

Once he nailed those, some interest suddenly came on how he could play the rest. Then explaining chords and such became much more interesting to him.

So i would say the trick is to find a song thats easy and cool for the student to play, preferably a song he/she really likes which will inspire to learn more, and as the above poster says; dont stress about finding new stuff each time.
Do some repetitions of the same song, and then slowly move on to cover the rest of the song.

You can learn alot of various and nessessary basics from just one good song.

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Feb 17 2008, 01:16 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:27 AM