Question About Floating Trem
derper
Jun 3 2012, 12:44 AM
Learning Tone Master
I blocked off the trem completely on my Parker Nitefly, but have recently been wondering if I should un-block. My biggest concern is, changing pitch inadvertantly with palm mutes, etc. Is that something you have to get used to/adapt your style for? If so, I may wait until I have more than 1 guitar for gigs.

Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 3 2012, 04:19 PM
Instructor
Hey Gabe, you should be able to palm mute without affecting the pitch.. it just takes a little adjusting and being mindful of how much pressure you're putting on the strings. You can even slightly make the notes go sharp on a fixed bridge guitar too if you mute too heavily so it's not just a whammy thing smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
derper
Jun 3 2012, 06:49 PM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks so much Ben!! I really don't have much background using trem, but after reading so much/learning so much these last 6 months at GMC......why am I "limiting" myself, and my musical expression?

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 3 2012, 08:19 AM) *
Hey Gabe, you should be able to palm mute without affecting the pitch.. it just takes a little adjusting and being mindful of how much pressure you're putting on the strings. You can even slightly make the notes go sharp on a fixed bridge guitar too if you mute too heavily so it's not just a whammy thing smile.gif

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jun 3 2012, 07:12 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (derper @ Jun 3 2012, 05:49 PM) *
Thanks so much Ben!! I really don't have much background using trem, but after reading so much/learning so much these last 6 months at GMC......why am I "limiting" myself, and my musical expression?

Both you and Ben make excellent points. The bassist in my last band had never played on a guitar with a floating trem before, so when we were in the studio and he was recording the rhythm guitar parts he had written, he was putting so much pressure on it, that he was actually doing exactly what the Doughnut Master described.

You just need to play a little less heavy handed, which will only benefit your mastery of the instrument. The less force you use, the less tension you will have in your playing, and your tone and increasing skill levels will reflect this greatly.

Just remember to set up the floating trem properly. If you don't, the guitar will detune when you try bringing it back to pitch.

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 3 2012, 07:53 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (derper @ Jun 3 2012, 06:49 PM) *

Definitely, use all assets at your disposal.. you'll find the way through touch and experimentation ! smile.gif

QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Jun 3 2012, 07:12 PM) *
he was putting so much pressure on it, that he was actually doing exactly what the Doughnut Master described.

laugh.gif laugh.gif

That made my day !! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jun 3 2012, 07:58 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 3 2012, 06:53 PM) *
Definitely, use all assets at your disposal.. you'll find the way through touch and experimentation ! smile.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

That made my day !! biggrin.gif

wink.gif

--------------------

Heal her now...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jun 3 2012, 09:59 PM
GMC:er
Setting up the tremolo is the hardest part, you need patiences and just minor adjustments. Took me about 2 hours for my first floating floyd rose restring, lol! Tune from the outside into the middle, then fine adjust. The slightly change during the setup ends up being a huge one, if not careful. Then getting it to float flat, flush to the body, arrrrrrr!

However, I haven't had any problems with it since, the palm muting does need a little readjusting but it's pretty solid and unless you have a really heavy hand, it will stay fine. Didn't take that long to learn and actually helped keep a lighter, fast picking hand (relaxed without teasing). My axe has never detuned itself in an entire month with the new strings! Unless you thrash the whammy like crazy, then some minor tuning required.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jun 3 2012, 10:01 PM

+Quote Post
derper
Jun 4 2012, 02:51 AM
Learning Tone Master
Thanks for the input all!

I'll be taking it back to my guitar tech to get it set up and adjusted properly. He's not very expensive, and has the tools and know-how. I don't, and would rather focus on making music and playing, and leave the repairs to the repair guys! wink.gif But that's just me.

--------------------

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jun 4 2012, 04:46 AM
GMC:er
Some great points in this thread! As AZZA mentioned, if you set the trem to float, it will eventually train your hand to not press to hard, all by itself. Every time you press to hard, you'll hear it. So each time your training your hand not to press hard. Eventually you brain/hand will adapt, just like Azza mentioned. You'll notice a marked increase in precision/speed as well I"m thinking, as playing with the right amount of pressure really frees up the hand. Playing with too much pressure on the bridge is like putting a limiter on a sports car. Pure physics will wreck speed/precision. Being able to deliver just enough pressure is something that is key to making it to the next level of play.

I shared this vid in another post but it seems relevant here as well. It's Meshuggah playing BLEED. Watch his right hand. It's muted, and crunchy but he is barely pressing just enough. Also, his hand isn't tense and it's barely moving beyond the pick strike so a small range of motion. The result is precision.

QUOTE (derper @ Jun 3 2012, 09:51 PM) *
Thanks for the input all!

I'll be taking it back to my guitar tech to get it set up and adjusted properly. He's not very expensive, and has the tools and know-how. I don't, and would rather focus on making music and playing, and leave the repairs to the repair guys! wink.gif But that's just me.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:08 PM