String Gauge Dilemma, Different guitars & tunings, different string gauge
Wilska
Mar 22 2010, 10:10 PM
GMC:er
Hey,

I have a slight problem. At the moment I play on 2 main guitars, one ESP LTD Alexi-600 which is a 25.5 scale neck with floyd rose and the other one is a Gibson Flying V which is 24 3/4 (I believe) scale length and has a hardtail bridge.

The Gibson V is tuned to E standard and has 10-46 gauge strings. This feels pretty near perfect for me.
The ESP LTD is tuned to Eb standard and also has 10-46 gauge strings. This is feels really sloppy!

What string gauge would you recommend for the ESP LTD to get a similar tension to the Gibson setup?
I used to play with 10-52, I don't really remember why I changed to 10-46. But I have raised my action quite a bit and still when I play heavy parts on the low e string e flaps and flops all over the place. Guess I became quite a hard picker after playing for over a year with the 52s?

Maybe I should go back to the 52, i'm just afraid it will impact my lead playing. Maybe I shouldn't worry?
What do you guys think? I know the obvious answer is "just try and feel for yourself" but I don't really enjoy the work that goes into changing string gauge on a floyd guitar so I don't want to do it too many times!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
------ Wilska's Gear ------

Guitars: Gibson Flying V Faded '67, ESP Ltd Alexi 600, Jackson Kelly KE3
Pickups: SD Blackout, Emg 81/85
Amp: Krank Rev Jr Pro
Effects: Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Digitech Hardwire CM-2, Digitech Hardwire DL-8, MXR Phase 90
Recording: Blackstar HT-DistX, Line6 Pod X3 Live
Pick: Dunlop Jazz III XL black, Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 and 1.40
Strings: GHS Boomers 10-52, Rotosound 10-46
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 16)
ZakkWylde
Mar 22 2010, 10:15 PM
Learning Tone Master
Why should the 10-52 have an impact on your leadplaying?!?

The 10-46 set has the gauges: 10 13 17 26 36 46
The 10-52 set has the gauges: 10 13 17 30 42 52

The 10-52 set is a hybrid set with the thin strings of a regular 10s set for soloing and thicker strings for the 3 lower strings for riffing!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Wilska
Mar 22 2010, 10:20 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 22 2010, 10:15 PM) *
Why should the 10-52 have an impact on your leadplaying?!?

The 10-46 set has the gauges: 10 13 17 26 36 46
The 10-52 set has the gauges: 10 13 17 30 42 52

The 10-52 set is a hybrid set with the thin strings of a regular 10s set for soloing and thicker strings for the 3 lower strings for riffing!

Hehe yeah but I play a lot of 5 and 6 string arpeggios and also I like to do some dark stuff when soloing =)

--------------------

Effects: Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Digitech Hardwire CM-2, Digitech Hardwire DL-8, MXR Phase 90

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 22 2010, 10:37 PM
Learning Tone Master
Strings size only matters for Bendings and vibrato, picking and legato are as easy as on thin strings if you guitar is set up well...

Jeff Loomis plays 7 String Sweeps and he has a 70 (!!!) String on the low B string and plays it without a problem. I have 12-56 strings on my guitars and I am only tuned to D standard; bending is a little rough at first but pickinkg runs are as easy as ever.

Also:
Bigger strings ---> better sound

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Mar 23 2010, 12:19 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Mar 22 2010, 04:37 PM) *
Strings size only matters for Bendings and vibrato, picking and legato are as easy as on thin strings if you guitar is set up well...

Jeff Loomis plays 7 String Sweeps and he has a 70 (!!!) String on the low B string and plays it without a problem. I have 12-56 strings on my guitars and I am only tuned to D standard; bending is a little rough at first but pickinkg runs are as easy as ever.

Also:
Bigger strings ---> better sound

+1 zakk, 12 strings? that's a lil bit much uh biggrin.gif?

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
sted
Mar 23 2010, 11:40 AM
Learning Rock Star
The scale length on your gibson means it will have significantly less tension than your ESP, coupe that with Eb tuning and it is noticably less tension than a longer scale standard tuned guitar, also switchig between guitars will highlight the problem even more to your brain as it adjusts to the new feel.
A simple fix would be to change them around, if you tuned your esp to Eb and your V to standard they would feel much, much closer in terms of tension, dont know how that would affect your playing but it would be worth a shot just out of interest.
I dont beleive that thicker strings sound all that great tbh, as always it is entirely dependant on all other aspects of your playing, the conception seems to be that they give a thicker tone but I suspect its more of a macho thing to have heavier strings, my own preference is 10's on everything in standard tuning and i have the same scale guitars as you.

+Quote Post
Wilska
Mar 24 2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the input. I guess i'll have to mess around a little and try them all =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 25 2010, 12:36 AM
Instructor
If you really care for your tone, you might wanna install 11-52 set. If that doesn't work for you, perhaps 10-52 hybrid can work as well. Dunno why you changed to 10-46, but looks like it's time to experiment some wink.gif
Remember to setup the guitar again with the new strings. New string diameter means the action needs adjusting via the bridge, and you might also have to tighten up the truss rod a bit to compensate on the string pull of the new gauge. Intonation is mandatory, because new gauge often disrupts the intonation quality, so just align those saddles nicely.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 25 2010, 07:40 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I am using 10-52 sets on all my Les Pauls, my tuning is always E flat and I am more than happy with that. The Normal 10-46 set is definitely too thin for lower tunings, it will always feel sloppy, so the only way out are thicker strings

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Wilska
Mar 25 2010, 09:53 PM
Yeah it's definetly time to try the 10-52s again, i'll do it next week and let you know how it turned out. Just out of curiosty, what picks do Siepen and ZakkWylde (forum-Zakk that is=) use?

I've been playing with the Jazz III XLs for quite a while but am currently trying out the new Dunlop Ultra Sharp Ultex picks in lighter gauges. A whole other sound but I haven't decided which I prefer yet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 28 2010, 06:51 PM
I have been using a Stone pick for the last 20 years, actually I am still using it, but I also got a couple of new ones from Dugain picks, they are as good as my "Pick of Destiny", you can check them out at http://www.dugainpicks.com/stone.html
I am using Agate picks

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wilska
Mar 28 2010, 10:01 PM
Wow that's quite a pick Marcus! Don't think I could play with something that thick haha.
Works for you tho! I watched your DVD Imaginations through the looking glass again the other day, I really love that dvd. Great performance. Seen you live a few times here in Sweden. Hope you come back soon. I met Henjo, Kai and the rest of Gamma Ray here in stockholm yesterday =)

--------------------

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Mar 28 2010, 11:51 PM
Learning Tone Master
I play Dunlop Jazz picks in all their variations... Thickness has to be at least 1.14 mm and I am trying diffrent materials. Currently I play Pitchblack Tortex Jazz picks but I also like the normal Tortex, Nylon and Ultex ones...

There are Carbon fibre Jazz picks coming out soon, I'll have to try them too!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Mar 30 2010, 07:33 PM
I don't like thin picks, they don't deliver the sound that I want, those ones made of stone are absolutely perfect for me. And thanks for the comments about the DVD smile.gif And check the tourdates in my section of the forum, dates for Sweden are already confirmed, sometimes in October I think.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stratman79
Mar 30 2010, 10:15 PM
Learning Rock Star
Marcus supprised you haven't used the mammoth tusk dugain!!!

I used a few of the wooden ones for a while but they didn't fit my grip that well so I moved over to V-picks..

Thinking about getting a blue chip pick?

+Quote Post
Wilska
Apr 1 2010, 09:47 PM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Mar 30 2010, 08:33 PM) *
I don't like thin picks, they don't deliver the sound that I want, those ones made of stone are absolutely perfect for me. And thanks for the comments about the DVD smile.gif And check the tourdates in my section of the forum, dates for Sweden are already confirmed, sometimes in October I think.

I'll go see you in october then for sure! I hope you play Modred's song *wink wink* wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Apr 1 2010, 11:20 PM
Great Replies! Todd here smile.gif As far as gauge goes, I am a big fan of Super Slinky 9 Gauge sets. However, being that it is a 9 set, the low E is not that thick and doesn't detune well. You could always create split packs with 10 gauge or heavier for the low strings and the high strings from a 9 set. If you have a double locking tremelo set to free float, the gauge can have a subtle impact on where the "neutral" or "zero point" is on your whammy bar as well as the intonation. Here is a good chunk on adjusting your floyd rose based on what gauge strings you are using.

------------------
Great Article On String Gauge and Tremelo Setup
On a Floyd Rose® locking tremolo, loosen the hex nut on top of the saddle. On an American Deluxe locking tremolo, the hex lock-down screw is found beneath the bridge plate. Adjust the first-string bridge saddle to the scale length, measuring from the inside of the nut to the center of the bridge saddle. Re-tighten the lock-down screw. Now adjust the distance of the second-string saddle back from the first-string saddle, using the gauge of the second string as a measurement. For example, if the second-string gauge is .011", you'd move the second-string saddle back .011" from the first-string saddle. Move the third-string saddle back from the second-string saddle, using the gauge of the third string as a measurement. The fourth-string saddle should be set parallel with the second-string saddle. Proceed with the fifth and sixth strings in the same manner used for the second and third strings.
http://www.fender.com/support/locking_tremelos.php
---------------------

Hope this helps smile.gif
Todd

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:38 PM